Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,581 members, 7,941,214 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 08:15 PM

Adefemi Receives Last Respects - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Adefemi Receives Last Respects (552 Views)

Enyeama Receives FIFA Honorary Award / Nigerian Soccer Star, Olubayo Adefemi Dies In Car Crash / Olubayo Adefemi Dies In A Car Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Adefemi Receives Last Respects by voiceoutng(m): 5:19am On Apr 29, 2011
The national stadium, Surulere was agog with fans and well-wishers on Thursday as the body of the late Super Eagles and Skoda Xanthi defender, Olubayo Adefemi was laid to rest.

On hand to pay their last respects were Super Eagles coach, Samson Siasia; former Nigerian goalkeeper, Ike Shorunmu; Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) technical director Chris Green, family members, journalists, and fans.

Some of his teammates also expressed sorrow at his demise. Yinka Adedeji, Adefemi's long-time friend, who also played alongside the late player in the Flying Eagles, as well as in the Olympic team, explained that Adefemi's demise would leave a gap in his heart.

"The extent of love, which we have for each other as a team and as individuals is great and we are going to miss him," he said.

"To me, Olubayo was more than a friend, he is a brother. We have been very close; we are just like five and six.

"I have so many memories of him and one thing is that he would be remembered forever. His memory would forever linger in my heart," Adedeji concluded.

Goalkeeper for the team that won silver in the U-20 World Cup in 2005, Ambrose Vanzekin, explained that it still unbelievable to him that his former teammate is no more.

"For me, he is a brother, he is a friend and we have been together in the national team for a long time," said Vanzekin.

"The first time I heard about it, I could not believe my ears because it was like a dream. I could not go to train that morning. The way I am now, I have not been myself since I heard the news.

"I have not been able to play games; I told my coach that I was not psychologically fit. He was a brother to us, we started the whole thing and it is so sad when you see one of your numbers gone. I pray God would help his family to be able to bear the loss."

Vanzekin also spoke about the one recurring memory he has of the late defender.

"Every time he scored a goal, he had a special way of celebrating it. He would act like he was riding a boat and this is what I continue to see when I think about him and that is one memory I would never forget of him."

Adefemi is survived by an aged mother, sisters, brother, nephews and nieces.

http://www.nigeriansportsforum.com/index.php/topic,232.0.html

(1) (Reply)

Why Must A Nigerian International Footballer Invest In Nigeria? / Sunderland Fines Titus Bramble / Anti-doping Chief Calls On Dopers To Pull Out Of Olympics Games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.