Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,901 members, 7,879,776 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 06:39 AM

How States Stand On RUGA - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How States Stand On RUGA (21917 Views)

How States Stand In Minimum Wage Talks / Garba Shehu Contradicts Osinbajo On Ruga Settlements - Punch / PDP Blasts Obaseki Over Silence On RUGA Settlement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How States Stand On RUGA by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 29, 2021
Why is no one talking of what led to widespread ban of open grazing in the south? Why is it so hard for NPF to fish out kidnappers who pretend to be 'pastoralists'?

Why do 'pastoralists' prefer to make their cattle graze on farmers' crops? Why is it so hard for the two branches of Miyetti to control their cattle-men? Why do police look the other way when issues of crop vandalism are reported, letting the errant Fula go scot-free? Why do the Fula attack farmers, unprovoked? These are the issues that brought all this confusion of open-grazing vs Ruga on us.

The fact is that the Fula hide behind the guise of free-roaming cattle business to grab other people's ancestral lands, and the insistence on either Violence or Ruga simply confirms their sinister agenda. But the saddest part of this abnormal situation, is the scores of southerners, mostly Ibo and Yoruba, who are actively betraying their kin-folk in exchange for a seat at the Fula-orchestrated disaster that passes for federal government in today's Nigeria.
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by realray(m): 2:03pm On May 29, 2021
SangoOlukosoOba:
RUGA is lasting solution to the menace, but hate wont make many see.

Its a win-win on both sided, but like I stated, hate has blinded many.

Hate ba wo, abi from there they will bring more of their people and before you know they oppress you, kill you and take over your land....
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by calaharry: 2:03pm On May 29, 2021
realray:
We no see other things do na To establish ruga, evil government even the people asking for Ruga are the northerners and they have the largest land mass in nigeria which are all in the north so they should do it there which we in the south will be happy to patronize them but they should not impose it on us we the southerners, we don't want and also don't need it Best thing let everybody rear her livestock herself we don't want Ruga, highest we divide and go our separate ways..... enough is enough
Na una stil dey relish their suya and fruitsgrin while complaining of dem. grin
Reaching mutual compromise is key, the matter is part of the highly political tools used by elites north, south ,east and west to divide and rule naija since 1960.
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by baralatie(m): 2:04pm On May 29, 2021
christistruth01:

Ekiti is hilarious

Ekiti supports grazing reserves but will only cede land to State Indigenes in other words they are raising their own beef themselves
Not the way you put it!
Ekiti is piloting a cattle ranching scheme for it's grazing reserves .so that whoever wants to partake in it can understand that this is want ekiti state approves.
The challenge is if someone is an open air cattle grazer they won't fit in
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 2:05pm On May 29, 2021
Dymaco:

Then they should take it to north and never to bring south into it

How do you justify your sentence? That tradesmen who happen to benefit from the market and pastures in the South to all relocate up North? Does it make fair sense to you considering they are Nigerians too. With the vast lands available to Nigeria, what stops a sensible state government of making available designated regions for grazing? Have you ever thought of the advantages before you mention the "They want to take our land" syndrome in 2021?

Its not done that way in any part of the world. Agriculture is highly subsidized and financed in any developed country. Nigerians just making a topic out of it cos of hate.
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by IMAliyu(m): 2:07pm On May 29, 2021
SangoOlukosoOba:
RUGA is lasting solution to the menace, but hate wont make many see.

Its a win-win on both sided, but like I stated, hate has blinded many.

We actually don't now this. It would have to be tested first in willing states before we can know if it actually works, or more complications arise.

And if you listen to the opposition it's less about hate and more about concern.

Are you willing to give up part of your ancestral land to foreigners?
And will these people keep the arranged agreement?
Why should cattle rearing get some kind of special treatment over other forms of animal husbandry from the government, shouldn't it treated like any other private business?

1 Like

Re: How States Stand On RUGA by Nathan2016: 2:09pm On May 29, 2021
baralatie:

The north is infested with cattle rustlers ,crime and terrorism

It doesnt concern Southerners. They should forget the RUGA thing for south. Just today 5 soliders was killed by UGM. People are angry down here. Even Lagos is full of angry jobless youth. If they try that ruga for here, the north that is infested with cattle rustlers ,crime and terrorism go be like heaven for them.
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 2:11pm On May 29, 2021
realray:

Hate ba wo, abi from there they will bring more of their people and before you know they oppress you, kill you and take over your land....

In the year 2021?

Are you aware this would be a State and FG partnership? Are you aware revenues and accountability would be generated by the same move?

Are you telling me I can designate a plot of land in 2021 by law and it would be later claimed? The State only need to bring their terms, conditions and clauses before agreement. This same lands can be revoked if abused, and state agency would definitely be monitoring activities which creates job.

This is not an individual entity but the government. If they choose to expand their ranches on clear justifiable grounds and fufilled conditions, why shouldnt this happen? Its not free and sametime a source for revenue.
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by baralatie(m): 2:13pm On May 29, 2021
EmmaOgbu:

Let cattle rearing be made a full business. They should be paying tax to the FG, let them contribute to our economy. As it stand now, its just a one man business that does not increase Nigerian income base but innocent farmers are dying daily.
Cattle reading is a full time business!
But the normadic herding of cattle has been vehemently been resisted by the cattle readers themselves because they do not want to be under govt radar!
Cattle business also comes with commitment of which the fg vehemently does not want to commit to.
Land is an issue in which the states derive income from...grazing reserves under the fg control will deny states that revenue.
Cattle reading comes with the need for vaccines,structures,medicines, veterinary clinics,cattle feeds and inspections...(costs money)
And all that money cost of processing and transporting of which the fg is absolutely ignorant about.
Then you have security
Then you have subsidy!

So like you said the present open grazing is nothing but a trouble making business!
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by almarthins(m): 2:14pm On May 29, 2021
publicenemy:
Sambisa forest no dey there?

You re on point, I wonder why they didn't them sambisa , we all for dey happy to give them the whole sambisa. What do they want in the south?
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 29, 2021
NaijaOlosho:
Is this even supposed to be a big problem??

Its private businesses so hire or buy land and ranch your animals simple

They want their own town separate, where they can appoint emirs since the religion forbids them to live under the authority of 'infidels'

Of course everyone knows already how that scenario will play out, Ilorin being the most resent case study. Not even Kano, Kaduna, Sokoto etc were historically Fula states, they were appropriated relatively recently, via the usual methods of violence, trickery and betrayal.
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by baralatie(m): 2:15pm On May 29, 2021
SangoOlukosoOba:

In the year 2021?

Are you aware this would be a State and FG partnership? Are you aware revenues and accountability would be generated by the same move?

Are you telling me I can designate a plot of land in 2021 by law and it would be later claimed? The State only need to bring their terms, conditions and clauses before agreement. This same lands can be revoked if abused, and state agency would definitely be monitoring activities which creates job.

This is not an individual entity but the government. If they choose to expand their ranches on clear justifiable grounds and fufilled conditions, why shouldnt this happen? Its not free and sametime a source for revenue.

You should go and read about the green revolution and how it was lost
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by realray(m): 2:16pm On May 29, 2021
calaharry:

Reaching mutual compromise is key, the matter is part of the highly political tools used by elites north, south ,east and west to divide and rule naija since 1960.

Which suya? Only God knows when last I ate suya what happened to fish, chicken, even goats meat... because of useless Cow meat I should give up my inheritance to strangers to use it to rear cow best thing we'll rear our cow by ourselves or haven't you read their history maybe you haven't let me even use Ghana as example how they chase the fulanis away even order their police to shoot any cow they see on the street or is it what happened to them in central Africa Rebuplic Oga nothing like compromise at all because they are Evil people using Cow to cover...
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by Dymaco(m): 2:16pm On May 29, 2021
SangoOlukosoOba:

How do you justify your sentence? That tradesmen who happen to benefit from the market and pastures in the South to all relocate up North? Does it make fair sense to you considering they are Nigerians too. With the vast lands available to Nigeria, what stops a sensible state government of making available designated regions for grazing? Have you ever thought of the advantages before you mention the "They want to take our land" syndrome in 2021?

Its not done that way in any part of the world. Agriculture is highly subsidized and financed in any developed country. Nigerians just making a topic out of it cos of hate.
South east don't have a land for them. Niger state is twice the size of south east. Let them go and start ruga. We will go there and buy cow just like we go to buy tomatoes

2 Likes

Re: How States Stand On RUGA by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 2:16pm On May 29, 2021
IMAliyu:

We actually don't now this. It would have to be tested first in willing states before we can know if it actually works, or more complications arise.

And if you listen to the opposition it's less about hate and more about concern.

Are you willing to give up part of your ancestral land to foreigners?
And will these people keep the arranged agreement?
Why should cattle rearing get some kind of special treatment over other forms of animal husbandry from the government, shouldn't it treated like any other private business?

Like I said, Its 2021

If I can lease a 1000 hectare of land on clear-cut terms and agreement, what ancestral land am I giving out? Wont I be paid? Is it free? Do I have right to revocation?

The idea is not about cattle getting special arrangement, Its about national security. And mind you, Agriculture has been getting special treatment in Nigeria from inception. People just dont tap into it. Agricultural lands are being leased by state government at a token, I mean barest minimum token. Do your findings. And that's how its done all over the world. Its a sector that gets adequate funding from the government
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by baralatie(m): 2:18pm On May 29, 2021
NarcoPolo:

They want their own town separate, where they can appoint emirs since the religion forbids them to live under the authority of 'infidels'

Of course everyone knows already how that scenario will play out, Ilorin being the most resent case study. Not even Kano, Kaduna, Sokoto etc were historically Fula states, they were appropriated relatively recently, via the usual methods of violence, trickery and betrayal.
We are mixing the history of the north by uthman Dan fodio and normadic cattle grazing with the problematic govt land use policies on agriculture
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by BrainSanitizer: 2:20pm On May 29, 2021
xpressionx:
No southern state is in support on RUGA
Imo is in a dilemma.
The supreme Court governor has dined with the devil.
It's now payback time.
I only pity the good people of Imo State whose birthright have been sold for the personal interests of a few.
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by Nobody: 2:21pm On May 29, 2021
SangoOlukosoOba:

In the year 2021?

Look they don't want ranches they want emirates, sultanates and caliphates.

A ranch is a private business, nobody has a problem with that. Ruga is the FG resettling the nomads on other people's ancestral lands. Ruga is a town (in embryo) that will eventually grow strong enough to subdue and enlave its host community. The Ife-Modakeke scenario is a less radical example of what Ruga in any of the southern states would become within a century, max. They have a similar problem in Jos already.

2 Likes

Re: How States Stand On RUGA by Nobody: 2:23pm On May 29, 2021
baralatie:
I saw bayelsa state and diri!

I don't think he understands there is a difference between a rural grassing reserve which supports open herding of cattle run by federal govt .with no income to the state

And ranching of cattle whereby a herder is runs a cattle ranch in which the state generates income
den know anything on bayelsa? No be to share money steal all of them dey do right from alarm, to g.e.j. to timipre to dickson to this fat pig ruling a small state with just 8 LGS of? One of the richest in terms of allocation but if u go there u will weep for them only 8 lgs
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by Nobody: 2:26pm On May 29, 2021
baralatie:

We are mixing the history of the north h def uthman Dan fodio and normadic cattle grazing with the problematic govt land use policies on agriculture

So what's the reason for the killings, the kidnappings and the willful destruction of food and cash crops?

Keep sticking your head into the sand bro
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by NGArmyTerrorist: 2:27pm On May 29, 2021
PARACLETOS:
We have learnt our lessons and we won't be fooled again. Give a fulani man a plot of land, he will go and bring his entire village to settle there, and then the space will not contain them anymore, and he will expand to a hectare. After which they will take over the entire village. We have learnt our lessons. Let their Northern states implement the RUGA! It is not by force and the federal government should not try to make the mistake of forcing the program on others. It won't work.
You're on point.

1 Like

Re: How States Stand On RUGA by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 2:27pm On May 29, 2021
baralatie:

You should go and read about the green revolution and how it was lost

The gains of the green revolution far out weighs the losses, India profited massively from this programme for decades. the new government policies of India is legal and legit and just aimed at curbing the excesses. The faults of such program is what a country like Nigeria will have to amend to avoid such.

Green revolution had outstanding successes, that cannot be taken away from history.
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by baralatie(m): 2:34pm On May 29, 2021
NarcoPolo:

So what's the reason for the killings, the kidnappings and the willful destruction of food and cash crops?

Keep sticking your head into the sand bro
Uthman Dan fodio lead an Islamic jihad is totally different from the problem of normadic cattle reading.

The fg under the military regime has in time past tried to stop normadic herding by creating settlements in parts of the north for them,built schools and an educational system for them but all to no success because

1.though they have settlements for them.the business of cattle ranching was never introduced to them early on.this is because there was a lot required for cattle ranching to be successful (the real owners of the cattle were not interested)
2.the north populace was anti modernization
3.desertification
4.biase towards bringing criminal elements amongst northern herders go book for crimes committed by them
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by baralatie(m): 2:35pm On May 29, 2021
SangoOlukosoOba:

The gains of the green revolution far out weighs the losses, India profited massively from this programme for decades. the new government policies of India is legal and legit and just aimed at curbing the excesses. The faults of such program is what a country like Nigeria will have to amend to avoid such.

Green revolution had outstanding successes, that cannot be taken away from history.
Which history of green revolution are you talking about!
The one that has lands disappearing and productivity lost?
Or the one in china
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 2:36pm On May 29, 2021
NarcoPolo:

Look they don't want ranches they want emirates, sultanates and caliphates.

A ranch is a private business, nobody has a problem with that. Ruga is the FG resettling the nomads on other people's ancestral lands. Ruga is a town (in embryo) that will eventually grow strong enough to subdue and enlave its host community. The Ife-Modakeke scenario is a less radical example of what Ruga in any of the southern states would become within a century, max. They have a similar problem in Jos already.

Now you have all this beliefs and want to agree you are right based on you examples. But that is where improvement comes in. Excesses needs to be checked by laws and institutions. I am a believer that everything has a disadvantage, but when the advantages, far out weighs the risk, its valid.

Like you I would recommend from your point, it could be a programme that only support herdsmen and does not give room for migration of families, friends or relations within designated territory. I know if legal experts sit to look into an agreement, a very solid template will be mapped.
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 2:36pm On May 29, 2021
baralatie:

Which history of green revolution are you talking about!
The one that has lands disappearing and productivity lost?
Or the one in china

India and Mexico
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by baralatie(m): 2:36pm On May 29, 2021
calaharry:

Suya na better barbecue o
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by baralatie(m): 2:38pm On May 29, 2021
SangoOlukosoOba:

India and Mexico
India had a good success with it's rice technology and mexico succeeded with it's tekila and cattle ranching but not like argentina
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by OROSUNBOLB(m): 2:39pm On May 29, 2021
Fulanis and whatever that belongs to them have been rejected by the southern people. Let it be known now by whoever that cares to listen that any attempt to force fulani or their barbaric ways of life on any part of the south will be met with violent resistance.

Buhari and his co travellers can try as much as they can,but their plans to create homes for the Fulanis in any part of southern region will fail. Be it Ruga,NLTS or even Ranching,there is no land for fulani to settle in our land.

Is cattle rearing not a private business like motor spare parts selling or poultry ? Why is it that some people are trying force these fulani cattle business on us as if the cows are being reared on behalf of Nigerians ? Don't we pay for these cows when we need them ? Why should any fulani herdsman be grazing on my properties without my consent or approval ?

Fulanis in Nigeria should know that the era of Usman Dan fodio is gone and buried with the history. Nobody will allow their ancestral lands to be fraudulently taken over by some aliens from Futa jalon in the name of Ruga,,NLTS or whatever. Nigeria is never an estate of any fulani man from Guinea or Senegal ! Hausas are today living like slaves on their ancestral land,no thanks the fulani man mastery of the act of deceptions and manipulations ! This is 21st century, only a fool would still believe that Usman Dan fodio's template of 18th century era used to subject Hausa people to eternal slavery could still be replicated now. It won't work !

No to open grazing in Yoruba land,and indeed all southern states. Nothing can ever make us accept or change that position. Cattle rearing is a private business,the so called presidency should stop bothering us so much about it.
Re: How States Stand On RUGA by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 29, 2021
SangoOlukosoOba:

Now you have all this beliefs and want to agree you are right based on you examples. But that is where improvement comes in. Excesses needs to be checked by laws and institutions. I am a believer that everything has a disadvantage, but when the advantages, far out weighs the risk, its valid.

Like you I would recommend from your point, it could be a programme that only support herdsmen and does not give room for migration of families, friends or relations within designated territory. I know if legal experts sit to look into an agreement, a very solid template will be mapped.

Did you take notice when Miyetti stated without equivocation that all southern forests belong to them. Thlse are the kinds of people you want to settle on your land 'with conditions'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Rules Baba Ijesha’s Confessional Statement Relevant And Admissible / Buhari, Fashola, Amaechi At International Finance Corporation (Pics) / Aye Dee: Boycott BBNaija And All South African Goods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.