Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,125 members, 7,913,212 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 09:21 PM

I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please (2652 Views)

Help!!! Help!!! Who Can Assist Me In Creating A Wapka Site..please Help Me / I Need Help With My Site Please!!!!! / Anyone With Any Experience Of An Online E-commerce Site Please Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by kelechiodo(m): 2:02pm On Jul 13, 2007
I have just finished this site and hope to launch it next week. Though it remains the form aspect but the php formmail I want to use refuse to work now, but I hope I will find solution before Tuesday. If any one has any php formmail, I will appreciate it to check if that will work. Thanks

http://kayceenet.com
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by niceuzor: 2:27pm On Jul 13, 2007
Splendid!!! smiley

plz can u tell me where u download the webtemplate from?

Or you create the template urself,

men i really want to learn from you.

YIM me Now!!! am Online. cool
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by rhyzz: 3:42pm On Jul 13, 2007
Man , you need to 're-brand' your site. It doesn't look too appealing for a web deigner. What did you use to design? There are just too much colours on your site, try and focus on not more than 3 colours.

I wish you could make your banner look a little simpler, maybe fade the image of the computer into the background colour. Also, the 'kampala' looking image under your banner, take it down and replace with a straight red/blue line.

You could reduce all the links(university, banks, newspapers) into a link called directory and then create inner links for them, rather then listing them. You can name the link Nigerian Web Directory.

Best design wishes.
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by niceuzor: 3:51pm On Jul 13, 2007
rhyzz have you finish?!!!

Ok Show us your work

We nigerian we cant appreciate good thing?
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by kelechiodo(m): 6:37pm On Jul 13, 2007
rhyzz: dear thanks for your contribution, but i dont think there are much colours in the site. I made simplicity and speed my watch word, As for the computer, I actually fade the image, as for the universities, banks and newspapers, I did not use inner links in order to attract newspapers readers, bank searcher etc. All the same thanks for your observation.

Niceuzor: Thanks for your commendation.
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by smartsoft(m): 3:17am On Jul 14, 2007
Not looking prefessional men, remove the marquee effect gone are those days where u usse marquee for a site. u niceuzor since you don't know anything about designing, how dare you call that site template ? since you don't know how, i bet you will say the site looks great.

rhyzz:

Man , you need to 're-brand' your site. It doesn't look too appealing for a web deigner. What did you use to design? There are just too much colours on your site, try and focus on not more than 3 colours.

I wish you could make your banner look a little simpler, maybe fade the image of the computer into the background colour. Also, the 'kampala' looking image under your banner, take it down and replace with a straight red/blue line.

You could reduce all the links(university, banks, newspapers) into a link called directory and then create inner links for them, rather then listing them. You can name the link Nigerian Web Directory.

Best design wishes.

Thank you ja re, he needs to re-brand when you tell them truth they will never agree. " truth is always bitter."

Hey Kelechido, you said u need a form mail huh ? hit me at info@smartsoftngr.com
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by niceuzor: 12:40pm On Jul 14, 2007
smartsoft:

u niceuzor since you don't know anything about designing, how dare you call that site template ? since you don't know how, i bet you will say the site looks great.

Smartsoft all what ever u call yourself i believe you re mature enough to know what is right and wrong the guy site need Constructive Review and Not Destructive Review.

instead of you helping him you re condemning his work if you know u don't

have better contribution here then piss off! angry

Can you stand me in terms of webdesign hum I'm asking you.

Then show us your works.

i guess you feel better now. cool

@kelechiodo

Thanks you jare !!!

As for the php form i suggest u Search the stuff 4rm google

if you can find one.

Or you use html form for now.

what do you think?
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by niceuzor: 1:09pm On Jul 14, 2007
Clear comment!! Simple and short wink

No bi all those over sabi webmaster!!
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by kheme(m): 1:56pm On Jul 14, 2007
i'm very critical about websites and looks, man PLEASE bring that website down!!!! the colors are off and the fonts are off. the fonts are big and the site lacks harmony and homogenity, if you know what i mean
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by smartsoft(m): 8:02pm On Jul 14, 2007
kheme:

i'm very critical about websites and looks, man PLEASE bring that website down!!!! the colors are off and the fonts are off. the fonts are big and the site lacks harmony and homogenity, if you know what i mean

Thank you kheme, @niceuzor thank you oo i no go say anything to you
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by michaelwe1(m): 11:21pm On Jul 14, 2007
rhyzz:

Best design wishes.

True talk
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by krs1(m): 11:56pm On Jul 14, 2007
one word for this site: AMATEUR WORK.

but please don't take my comments too seriously.
As per the form mail, USE THIS:

on your form tag, point the action attribute to send_mail.php.
Then create a new file, call it send_mail.php then insert the following code inside:

<?php
$headers = 'From:'. $source . "\r\n" .
   'Reply-To:'. $source . "\r\n" .
   'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();

// mail($recipient, $subject, $message, $headers);

if (@mail($recipient, $subject, $message, $headers)) {
echo('<p>Mail successfully sent to the email address you provided!</p>');
} else { echo('<p>Oops! Mail could not be sent. SERVER ERROR</p>'); }
?>

where
$source = "sender's email addy";
$recipient = "recipient's email addy";
$subject = "email title";

$message = {actual email txt eg: $message ="this is the full text for this email"; }

this script will send the form details to the email address you specify ie. $recipient
PLS NOTE: you hve to have a basic knowledge of PHP to use this script.

hope it helps.
BUT PLS IMPROVE ON THE SITE.
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by smartsoft(m): 6:13pm On Jul 15, 2007
krs1:

one word for this site: AMATEUR WORK.
But improve on this site.

hahahhahha chi ne ke, thank you kris. ehen where this guy niceuzor, you no talk again,
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by niceuzor: 5:09am On Jul 16, 2007
smartsoft why me no go talk? abi u think say my mouth lipsrsealed

See kheme respond was very pleasant!

not you condeming his works.

try to appreciate good thing b4 condeming Ok.

Hope u get the gist?
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by rhyzz: 10:04am On Jul 16, 2007
Niceuzor, whatever your problem is , you better boil and eat it. Iw as only giving the poo guy some tips. I don't have to show you my work, cause you aint worth the it. Anyone can show you any site and claim they caked it. So listen and learn or square the Bleep off this forum.

kelechiodo, please work more on your skills. When i started out, i did sites worse than yours but i have gotten beter by day.

Happy designing.
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by rhyzz: 10:15am On Jul 16, 2007
Niceuzor, whatever your problem is , you better boil and eat it. I was only giving the poor guy some tips. I don't have to show you my work, cause you ain't worth it. Anyone can show you any site and claim they caked it. So listen and learn or square the Bleep off this forum.

kelechiodo, please work more on your skills. When i started out, i did sites worse than yours but i have gotten better by day.

Happy designing.
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by my2cents(m): 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2007
Why o why is it that, time and time again, a post deviates from what the original post intended?

Why o why is it that, most people on here take corrections personally and as an insult to their ego?

Why o why is it that, most people on here, even when not mincing words, can't seem to find the right way to convey the message?

The above are a few of the reasons why I am quick to remove my notification to a post, potentially missing out on posts I could learn from.

Please, let's learn to stay on point.

Thanks,
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by kelechiodo(m): 3:28pm On Jul 16, 2007
My dear Nairalanders, thanks all for your critism because without it, one can never excel.
@smartoft: I disagree with you on the issue of marquee, I believe that it's usage depends on the designer, the client and the message to be conveyed. As for formmail, I have about two that I used php to programme. One worked perfectly during the trial period but when the site was sifted to another data centre, all the formmails stopped working and since then, I have just be testing some php formmails, some written by me and others by my technical adviser who happens to be my mentor.
@kheme: I dont understand your critism, this is my first site and I am not in hurry to bring it down. Like all sites, there will always be edition as time goes on.
@krs1: Thanks for the script, I will try it. The site will always be improved on as I believe that nothing is perfect. We always improve
@rhyzz: Thanks for the encourgment, I am just starting and I hope to one day be able to design a site as good as yahoo wink wink
@niceuzor: You are really a nice guy. But please help to promote the site because I really need all the encouragement. Once more thanks
@my2cents: Thanks for your reminding us that the whole essence is constructive critism and not "take dowm the site" while offering no solution.
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by Cactus(m): 5:08pm On Jul 16, 2007
constructive criticism

your idea of constructive criticism may be different from smartsoft, if what he wrote is what he calls constructive criticism then fine no problem. if you don't want people to bash you and CONDEMN your work, you have three options

1. don't build any websites
2. don't share your links for people to criticize
3. do a very good job

you are looking for criticisms you got them, and now you are bashing the person who criticized your work. wonderful

FYI: marquees suck, there are better ways to present your msg without marquees

read more about user interface design, human computer interaction maybe after that you will have a better sense of direction
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by kelechiodo(m): 6:05pm On Jul 16, 2007
Cactus: Constructive criticism means bashing or condeming where possible and at the same time offering solution. The idea is that one is not perfect and that some people are better than you in that aspect. You try to learn from them. So dear, your idea that I should stop designing is laughable and that can never be done.I will equally continue to share the link for others to review.
But Cactus, if stop designing site is your idea of constructive criticism, then I don't need it. Right now, I am in the middle of another project for a religious organisition. In as much as I will consider the views and objections of smartoft and others, the idea of leaving the work will never cross my mind.
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by kelechiodo(m): 6:08pm On Jul 16, 2007
And Cactus: for correction purpose, I never bash any of the responders as I value all of them. Try to get your facts
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by niceuzor: 7:05pm On Jul 16, 2007
kelechiodo you have spoken well!!! cool

keep da good work going & 4get abt them.

BTW:

Guy u didnt YIM me again why?
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by krs1(m): 12:00am On Jul 17, 2007
kelechiodo:

,   As for formmail, I have about two that I used php to programme. One worked perfectly during the trial period but when the site was sifted to another data centre, all the formmails stopped working ,

You can post the php script of the problematic formmail on this site, in the programming section and we can help you fix the bug
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by Cactus(m): 1:06am On Jul 17, 2007
whao you are so much angry with me now, you can spell my name properly but you can't spell smartsoft's properly (SMARTOFT) twice if i know how to count properly. now am afraid of u.

the way you translate what i write is what you think, others may translate different so its all up in the air, you have your opinions, i do, others do as well i hope. lol

kelechiodo:

Cactus: Constructive criticism means bashing or condeming where possible and at the same time offering solution. The idea is that one is not perfect and that some people are better than you in that aspect. You try to learn from them. So dear, your idea that I should stop designing is laughable and that can never be done.I will equally continue to share the link for others to review.

what surprises me most when people are arguing with someone, when you are going after someone, why do people use words like DEAR, HONEY, and continue with a negative statement. hm i wonder. sounds appealing then a bump on the head. to me that is not logical.

Dude doh people are better than me?
people are better than you

someone is always better than someone else, so your argument is invalid, ERROR, TRY AGAIN, OR SKIP

eh eh eh eh oh oh who says constructive criticism MUST give a solution dude you need reading to do. if u give solution great if you don't greater let the person go figure out lol i prefer letting people go figure out because it enhances personal development instead of SPOONFEEDING some people. oh oh oh, i can also be nice to give solutions that is if i am happy lol

well maybe your first start is try googling. www.google.com if you don't know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructive_criticism

this pretty much describes whats going on here ah ah ah L

whao thanks for elaborating on your next project dude, why place an emphasis on RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATION, oh ok now i know what to expect for design and presentation i will be looking forward to CONSTRUCTIVELY CRITICIZE. oh my next project is SLEEPING, do you want to criticize my style ah ah ah . remember i did not even write anything about what your site looks like only replied to smartsoft, and the use of marquee, hm i wonder what will be said if i give constructive criticism. hm

always remember, you don't do what you like, you do what you think people will find interesting, so far, from the comments above ennnnnnnnnn, not so good, needs rework in my opinion .

hm did u know 10 year kids pull off better websites than what you have?

if u don't bash people, good or should i say bad for u, remember someone has to always do the bashing, i get a kick from it ah ah ah .

if your clients r satisfied with your work, good for u
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by Sacarsity(m): 11:22am On Jul 17, 2007
Cactus or what ever your name is, you totally deviated from tha topic. The guy designed his first web site and needed review and if you dont know what to say, then you better shut up. Guy like you are always afraid to embark on a project but will be there to bash someone else effort.
Your saying that a 10 years old can do better totally tells who you are. I wonder your level of education, please grow up.
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by kelechiodo(m): 1:29pm On Jul 17, 2007
Krs1: Thanks for the idea, I will post them in the section under the heading "what is wrong with this php script" in the next 30 minutes
Niceuzor: Please bear with me, I will YIM you before 5pm today
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by Cactus(m): 2:55pm On Jul 17, 2007
oh i am 10, i guess my birth certificate is wrong. its so amazing how u both come to conclusion

10 year olds pulll off better websites = i am 10? classic

oh also

and i am very scared of projects, can u help me i am crying now wu wu wu, i dont have money if i dont have projects wa wa wa.

my level of education, well i know how to start a pc and i know how to type. that is all i need daily, go figure
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by smartsoft(m): 1:30am On Jul 18, 2007
Hey sacarsity or what ever you are called,how dare you talk to cactus like that see that crapy site that guy showed there is not 1 or 2 site he designed, he has been designing ever since you went into development even if you do one. that site Kelechi showed us is not is first website. so shut your mouth if you don't have anything to say.

What we said is gone are those days we use marquee for site instead of that you can create a flash text. okay sacarisity why not use marquee for your own design and let see because thousand of website out there don't use marquee. the guy should simply re-brand his site men and stop showing us things that are outdated.

And don't talk to cactus anyhow. understood or else,
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by Cactus(m): 6:32am On Jul 18, 2007
If what you have done is visually appealing to u well, no comment.

definitely look at this if you dont even look at anything else

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/does-my-web-site-suck/does-my-web-site-suck-checklist-part-one.html
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by Sacarsity(m): 11:57am On Jul 18, 2007
Oh Smartsoft, I hope that is your name. Please don't use this forum to threaten me. I don't like it at all. And why are you being so antagonistic and so unreasonable. The guy said that this is his first site and you are doubting him. If you have evidence of other sites he designed please show them to us or you better shut up. I don't know why some people glorify in being PHD (pull him down) persons. If every body stopped trying his hand in web design and allow only you and Cactus to be the only designers in the world, then you will be happy. Man please grow up.
I don't think I will ever exchange words with you on this again, I have other things better to do than wasting time on bad belle guys like you.
BYE
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by onydchic(f): 1:52pm On Jul 18, 2007
Sigh. Why must everything turn to an ego trip in this  site?

Anyway dude, about your site. This is me at my most constructive:
1. The pictures in the banner are of poor quality. It looks a bit like you got small pictures and tried to expand them, when it should be the other way round. Get high-resolution images instead and manipulate them, you'll see the difference. http://sxc.hu is a great place for high-res stock photos and registration is free.
2. Say NO to Marquees. The truth is, they're obsolete (very 1998), they can be quite annoying and distracting (especially in your case, where you used more than one) and there is NO popular site you'll see that has one. Or that will encourage you to use one.
3. Let your logo be clickable. It helps if someone goes too far into ur site and wants to get back tothe home page.
4. The rainbow background you've got going on? No. It's too colourful and looks very unprofesional. It's supposed to be a corporate site, so keep ur colours few and simple. It's also harsh on the eyes.
5. Speaking of colours, stick to a color scheme, Before you start a site, taking into account your logo's colours, layout a colour scheme of about 3 colors and then work with those, and if you must, shades of the three.
6. All that extra space on the right side, why is it there? It makes the page look empty and funny, especially as it's a different colour. If you don't have content to put there, then make the page a 2-column layout and set the width of the page to a figure that will centralise the content to the middle, and thus evenly split the empty (whitespace).
7. The middle colum with the text is not aligned well. It's going off to the right.
8. Your advert thingy on the right side is too near the edge, apply some padding.
9. Your menu is vaguely out of sync with the rest of your page, which gives me reason to believe you probably got the menu as a template or something.
10. Your links DONT HAVE to be the default blue colour you know! Let them blend with your site.
11. Why's ur text so big?

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll cut you some slack cos you claim it's ur first one. Also, use other sites for inspiration. I learnt a lot from observing other sites. smiley

http://onydchic..com
http://aboutdisgirl.deviantart.com
Re: I Need Constructive Review Of This Site, Please by Cactus(m): 2:00pm On Jul 18, 2007
this is not about bad mouthing people or discouraging people. It is meant to help people realize what can be done to improve themselves. FYI do I need to be a web application developer to realize a website is good or bad. did I even mentioned that I am a web developer in THIS THREAD. There are several other areas in the IT one can function effectively, Did I even say that I am in IT in THIS THREAD. anybody these days can be a web application developer regarding the relative ease of getting started. If you see a pretty girl dressed awfully you will cringe.

Its all about presenting a package. pretty girls are looked at more, if you make your site look good, people will commend it.

looking at all the 11 things listed now would you give it a passing grade. there are some things you yourself can do and need to realize when building a web application in terms of presentation and packaging.

why do people praise apple products for packaging and diss microsft packaging style?

your taste is not my taste, and your website is meant for the public so majority of the to visit else , no comment

(1) (2) (Reply)

Using Wordpress To Build A Website / Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? / Can One Make Money From Running An Online Forum(e.g. Nairaland.com)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.