Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,281 members, 7,884,500 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 11:26 AM

The Picture Of Dorian Gray: Free Pdf - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Picture Of Dorian Gray: Free Pdf (306 Views)

Request Free PDF Copy Of 'under The Sun' / Best Website To Download Free Pdf Ebook / Book Summary - The Five Love Languages By Gray Chapman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Picture Of Dorian Gray: Free Pdf by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jun 04, 2021
Written in his distinctively dazzling manner, Oscar Wilde’s story of a fashionable young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty is the author’s most popular work.

The tale of Dorian Gray’s moral disintegration caused a scandal when it first appeared in 1890, but though Wilde was attacked for the novel’s corrupting influence, he responded that there is, in fact, “a terrible moral in Dorian Gray.”
Of Dorian Gray’s relationship to autobiography, Wilde noted in a letter,

“Basil Hallward is what I think I am: Lord Henry what the world thinks me: Dorian what I would like to be—in other ages, perhaps.
Re: The Picture Of Dorian Gray: Free Pdf by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jun 04, 2021
Re: The Picture Of Dorian Gray: Free Pdf by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 04, 2021
Excerpts from the book:

"What of art?" she asked.

"It is a malady."

"Love?"

"An illusion."

"Religion?"

"The fashionable substitute for belief."

"You are a sceptic."

"Never! Scepticism is the beginning of faith."

"What are you?"

"To define is to limit."

"Give me a clue."

"Threads snap. You would lose your way in the labyrinth."
Re: The Picture Of Dorian Gray: Free Pdf by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jun 04, 2021
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame".

"Experience is merely the name men gave to their mistakes".

"Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing".
Re: The Picture Of Dorian Gray: Free Pdf by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jun 04, 2021
"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about".

There is no such thing as a moral or an "immoral book.
Books are well written, or badly written. That is all".

"Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is by far the best ending for one".
Re: The Picture Of Dorian Gray: Free Pdf by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jun 04, 2021
"Some things are more precious because they don't last long".

"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes".

"When one is in love, one always begins by deceiving one's self, and one always ends by deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance".
Re: The Picture Of Dorian Gray: Free Pdf by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jun 04, 2021
It is a sad truth, but we have lost the faculty of giving lovely names to things. Names are everything. I never quarrel with actions. My one quarrel is with words.
That is the reason I hate vulgar realism in literature. The man who could call a spade a spade should be compelled to use one. It is the only thing he is fit for."

"Then what should we call you, Harry?" she asked.

"His name is Prince Paradox," said Dorian.

"I recognize him in a flash," exclaimed the duchess.

"I won't hear of it," laughed Lord Henry, sinking into a chair. "From a label there is no escape! I refuse the title."

"Royalties may not abdicate," fell as a warning from pretty lips.

You wish me to defend my throne, then?"

"Yes."

"I give the truths of tomorrow."

"I prefer the mistakes of today," she answered.

"You disarm me, Gladys," he cried, catching the wilfulness of her mood.

"Of your shield, Harry, not of your spear."

"I never tilt against beauty," he said, with a wave of his hand.

"That is your error, Harry, believe me. You value beauty far too much."

"How can you say that? I admit that I think that it is better to be beautiful than to be good. But on the other hand, no one is more ready than I am to acknowledge that it is better to be good than to be ugly."

"Ugliness is one of the seven deadly sins, then?" cried the duchess. "What becomes of your simile about the orchid?"

"Ugliness is one of the seven deadly virtues, Gladys. You, as a good Tory, must not underrate them. Beer, the Bible, and the seven deadly virtues have made our England what she is."

(1) (Reply)

Reality; Am I Really Selfish For Not Giving A Hug? / What Is The Colour Of The Air You Breath ? / I Need Short Movie Script Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.