Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,065 members, 7,890,506 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 03:08 PM

Observation: On Why Twitter Deleted Pmb's Post And Never That Of Nnamdi Kanu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Observation: On Why Twitter Deleted Pmb's Post And Never That Of Nnamdi Kanu (739 Views)

Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria / My Observation On Nigeria Military Cross Fire With BH Terrorists. Pictures / Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Observation: On Why Twitter Deleted Pmb's Post And Never That Of Nnamdi Kanu by Bassa1: 12:05pm On Jun 05, 2021
On the much tauted comparison that Nnamdi Kanu is allowed to preach hate, bigotry and death while the same twitter is currently moderating and even deleting some of PMB's post, here is likely what is happening.

There is an ongoing scuffle to control narratives on social media and the current administration, as with most other things is failing at controling the narrative, despite all the resources available to them.

If they want to make it difficult for Lamidi kunu and his minions, If they want to make it difficult for hate preachers on twitter or any other social, there are routes to do it through the same platform but it seems they are either just indifferent or lazy, I personally don't believe they don't know how.

In line with their habits of trading blame when failing, they find it convenient to blame twitter for been biased.
To start with, Twitter's or any other social media algorithm usually can't tell when a post contains hate, racism, death threat or the like but the algorithm depends largely on it users to guide twitter to fish out this sort of tweet/post. If twitter recieves alot of report on a particular post, they take action either by deleting, hiding or even suspending. Depending on how bad the violations could have been.

A simple analogy is like a situation where a person A threatened to kill person B and then the audience/on lookers watching the brawl call the police on person A to report his threat. The police wasn't at the scene, they got to know because the audience called and directed them there. They would most likely arrest person A because that was the information the audience gave them. It may be that it was person B that initially threatened to kill person A but a part of the on lookers out of prejudice decided to only report person A. So long as nobody is calling to report person B, he would most likely escape getting arrested too. This is how most social media algorithm for moderation work.

What this means is, Lamidi kunu and his minions would keep spreading hate and bigotry on the platform so long as other users aren't reporting him. Twitter's algorithm was able to fish out PMB because other users help the algorithm to detect that something was off with the post and the moderators took over from there.

Personally, I usually take out time to report inappropriate post when I see them. But it's almost impossible to do this to every inappropriate post I see because there is just so many of them. As a community, we should be collectively moderating our social media feeds by reporting inappropriate post when you see them, regardless of how insignificant you might think your efforts would. Collectively it counts for alot.

Twitter and the likes largely depend on its algorithm for moderation and the algorithm depends on twitter users to guide them to identify what should be and what shouldn't be on the platform.

-------
Anivassa
#UnbrokenOptimist
Re: Observation: On Why Twitter Deleted Pmb's Post And Never That Of Nnamdi Kanu by CilicMarin: 12:09pm On Jun 05, 2021
Many people, reported that Kanu's tweet..but twitter, as interested party refused to act..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Observation: On Why Twitter Deleted Pmb's Post And Never That Of Nnamdi Kanu by OssyMalik: 12:12pm On Jun 05, 2021
CilicMarin:
Many people, reported that Kanu's tweet..but twitter, as interested party refused to act..
yes they refused to act because those that reported him are from a backward section of the country.

Nnamdi Kanu is a force!!! We move!!

7 Likes

Re: Observation: On Why Twitter Deleted Pmb's Post And Never That Of Nnamdi Kanu by OnionBandit(f): 12:21pm On Jun 05, 2021
OssyMalik:
yes they refused to act because those that reported him are from a backward section of the country.

Nnamdi Kanu is a force!!! We move!!

Re: Observation: On Why Twitter Deleted Pmb's Post And Never That Of Nnamdi Kanu by adioolayi(m): 12:23pm On Jun 05, 2021
CilicMarin:

I don't think you can compare the uprising PMB's generated to that of Kanu (I may be wrong). I also felt PMB's tweet was aggressively reported, hence the decision.

Again, as a government, you have all machinery in place to report anyone that pose a threat to the sovereignty of this Nation...I believe the presidency can channel their grievances through other means and not banning Twitter.

There are thousands of Nigerian youths that their source of livelihood is Twitter..they showcase their goods and services for a better reach....Most can't afford physical stores and they make their money.

Cutting off the head cannot be solution to headache...FG goofed in this move

1 Like

Re: Observation: On Why Twitter Deleted Pmb's Post And Never That Of Nnamdi Kanu by Oharina(m): 12:24pm On Jun 05, 2021
On seeing that lamidi cownu, i stoped reading. Cause i know it will be trash

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Observation: On Why Twitter Deleted Pmb's Post And Never That Of Nnamdi Kanu by Joromi1: 12:31pm On Jun 05, 2021
It's also time for Nairaland to step up and start banning suspicious accounts like yours. Registered since 2018 and you haven't made up to 40 posts. That's very suspicious.
Re: Observation: On Why Twitter Deleted Pmb's Post And Never That Of Nnamdi Kanu by DiagnoPolitics: 12:47pm On Jun 05, 2021
Oharina:
On seeing that lamidi cownu, i stoped reading. Cause i know it will be trash

You are very sensible.

The OP is a bloody ragheaded fulani terrorist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Observation: On Why Twitter Deleted Pmb's Post And Never That Of Nnamdi Kanu by MalcoImX: 12:55pm On Jun 05, 2021
Bassa1:
On the much tauted comparison that Nnamdi Kanu is allowed to preach hate, bigotry and death while the same twitter is currently moderating and even deleting some of PMB's post, here is likely what is happening.

There is an ongoing scuffle to control narratives on social media and the current administration, as with most other things is failing at controling the narrative, despite all the resources available to them.

If they want to make it difficult for Lamidi kunu and his minions, If they want to make it difficult for hate preachers on twitter or any other social, there are routes to do it through the same platform but it seems they are either just indifferent or lazy, I personally don't believe they don't know how.

In line with their habits of trading blame when failing, they find it convenient to blame twitter for been biased.
To start with, Twitter's or any other social media algorithm usually can't tell when a post contains hate, racism, death threat or the like but the algorithm depends largely on it users to guide twitter to fish out this sort of tweet/post. If twitter recieves alot of report on a particular post, they take action either by deleting, hiding or even suspending. Depending on how bad the violations could have been.

A simple analogy is like a situation where a person A threatened to kill person B and then the audience/on lookers watching the brawl call the police on person A to report his threat. The police wasn't at the scene, they got to know because the audience called and directed them there. They would most likely arrest person A because that was the information the audience gave them. It may be that it was person B that initially threatened to kill person A but a part of the on lookers out of prejudice decided to only report person A. So long as nobody is calling to report person B, he would most likely escape getting arrested too. This is how most social media algorithm for moderation work.

What this means is, Lamidi kunu and his minions would keep spreading hate and bigotry on the platform so long as other users aren't reporting him. Twitter's algorithm was able to fish out PMB because other users help the algorithm to detect that something was off with the post and the moderators took over from there.

Personally, I usually take out time to report inappropriate post when I see them. But it's almost impossible to do this to every inappropriate post I see because there is just so many of them. As a community, we should be collectively moderating our social media feeds by reporting inappropriate post when you see them, regardless of how insignificant you might think your efforts would. Collectively it counts for alot.

Twitter and the likes largely depend on its algorithm for moderation and the algorithm depends on twitter users to guide them to identify what should be and what shouldn't be on the platform.

-------
Anivassa
#UnbrokenOptimist

Bro if Nairaland here can track your posts and even prevent you from using certain words, I don't know why Twitter can't?

And if you say you have to be reported for them to act, who then reported Trump before they banned him?

(1) (Reply)

Ten Reasons Why Biafra Wont Stand / No More Twitterrorists / How 5 Buhari Must Go Activists Was Arrested By DUNAMIS Church - Sowore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.