Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,818 members, 7,945,609 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 08:54 PM

Twitter Is Getting It Wrong - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Twitter Is Getting It Wrong (1015 Views)

Malami: Corruption Declining Under Buhari, We Are Getting It Right / FG Says Action Against Twitter Is Temporal / Adamu Garba: Twitter Is An IPOB-Online Machine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by pafra(m): 8:41pm On Jun 05, 2021
Though I agreed that this government was stupid by banning Twitter from Nigeria but the difficulties citizens are going through since this morning trying to log in to Twitter is one of the reasons I argued when Donald Trump had similar experience from Twitter that it Is dangerous to allow one man(Jack Dorsey) to be an arbiter of truth by telling users what is wrong or right.

It defeats the whole essence of free speech and can never be right.

Buhari’s tweet which started the whole fight was dangerous but it is not the job of social media companies to arbitrate and then tell what is wrong or right.

By doing that, they are taking sides and we are making the social media companies too powerful without accountability to anybody.

I wrote this when Trump was banned by Twitter. My position was not formed because I like Donald Trump.

No sir! My position was largely influenced by the fact that we are arrogating to Twitter too much power which is too dangerous.

At the moment, India government is fighting with Twitter and they just gave them the last chance with a condition that if they misbehave again, they will throw them out of India, exactly the same thing that Nigerian government did yesterday.

It is inevitable, governments around the world will push back as long as we continue to arrogate this power to choose what is wrong/right to Twitter and Facebook.

Allow users of your platform decide what is wrong or right.

It is not your job as a social media company to do so.

I have issues with the action taken by Buhari, it is stupid.

At the same time, when a social media platform becomes too powerful to ban a sitting president like Donald Trump from their platform.

We need to ask: who gave them that power and who made them that powerful?
Copied
By chukwudi iwuchukuw

5 Likes

Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jun 05, 2021
Your people go Soon call you AUSA
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by wearsandtrends1: 8:50pm On Jun 05, 2021
U mess with the bull u get the horns...
If course jackie was too dull to see it coming

Imagine the arrogance
Im sure he will be licking his wounds

One question that bugs me though,
I tot Facebook deleted the post too

Why didnt they get the axe
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by doggedfighter(f): 8:52pm On Jun 05, 2021
Mumu thread by zombies.
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by MadamExcellency: 9:00pm On Jun 05, 2021
Nigeria committed genocide by trying to wipe out Igbo race by killing millions of Igbo women and children in 3 years.

Instead of owning up to the heinous crime, the same culprit wants to repeat this same evil while the world watches.

Many countries are trying to make amend for their involvements in wars of attrition and bitterness against others.

Buhari is evil
Buhari is a confirmed terrorist.
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by Plomo: 10:29pm On Jun 05, 2021
Every platform has their terms of use.

The same way bots ban people on nl is the same it works on Twitter. After a considerable number of reports on a particular tweet, bots will be initiated to do their job.

It’s quite foolish that this stupid government will spoil people’s means of livelihood because of a bruised ego

1 Like

Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by MalcoImX: 10:33pm On Jun 05, 2021
Why is Omokri silent?
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by TrackerXL: 10:37pm On Jun 05, 2021
Story story O.

MadamExcellency:
Nigeria committed genocide by trying to wipe out Igbo race by killing millions of Igbo women and children in 3 years.

Instead of owning up to the heinous crime, the same culprit wants to repeat this same evil while the world watches.

Many countries are trying to make amend for their involvements in wars of attrition and bitterness against others.

Buhari is evil
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by Luigi03(m): 10:42pm On Jun 05, 2021
You must be a mallam.
Twitter have their guidelines. Their terms and conditions are there. Click accept and use Twitter if you think you can comply with it or keep off. Not after breaking their rules and getting banned, you begin to wail that you're a president. Twitter doesn't treat anyone specially, be he a celebrity or president. Never treated trump and will never treat buhary differently
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by Mynd44: 5:09am On Jun 06, 2021
Luigi03:
You must be a mallam.
Twitter have their guidelines. Their terms and conditions are there. Click accept and use Twitter if you think you can comply with it or keep off. Not after breaking their rules and getting banned, you begin to wail that you're a president. Twitter doesn't treat anyone specially, be he a celebrity or president. Never treated trump and will never treat buhary differently
Every country also have their set of rules.
Nigeria has triggered her own.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by pafra(m): 5:16am On Jun 06, 2021
MadamExcellency:

Buhari is evil

Check again your leader Twit have been ban too. It is coming to late as a damage control from the Twitter
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by Rissamenti: 5:24am On Jun 06, 2021
MadamExcellency:

Buhari is evil

Deluded dunce. You are probably alive today because of the kindness and mercy of Nigerians.

YOU LOST A WAR.

Get that fact into your thick skull.

Normally, there are TERRIBLE CONSEQUENCES to losing a war, none of which you were made to experience, courtesy of Nigeria's kindness.

Nigeria spared Igbo lives with Gowon's 'No Victor No Vanquished' policy, which stopped federal troops from marching in and ANNIHILATING YOUR ETHNIC GROUP after you'd surrendered and your leader had fled.

The Nigerian govt even gave your people money!

No one on Earth had ever seen a vIctor in war give money to the just defeated enemy to help them recover.

Without Nigeria's magnanimity, which shocked the entire world at the time, there would actually be no ''Igboland'' today, and your towns and cities would have been long ago renamed to Yoruba and Hausa names.

So lose that baseless arrogance founded on nothing but hot air and bombast.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by MadamExcellency: 5:24am On Jun 06, 2021
pafra:

Check again your leader Twit have been ban too. It is coming to late as a damage control from the Twitter

It's normal. When you see offensive post on Twitter, you hit the report button the same way it's done on Nairaland. It's now left for the moderators to evaluate it and do the needful without fear or favor.

Overheating the polity because Buhari's comment with his personal account was deleted is too childish.

The Twitter Account in question is Buhari's personal account not a Nigerian Government Account like if it is @NGRPresident or government related handle.
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by joyandfaith: 6:22am On Jun 06, 2021
pafra:
Though I agreed that this government was stupid by banning Twitter from Nigeria but the difficulties citizens are going through since this morning trying to log in to Twitter is one of the reasons I argued when Donald Trump had similar experience from Twitter that it Is dangerous to allow one man(Jack Dorsey) to be an arbiter of truth by telling users what is wrong or right.

Buhari’s tweet which started the whole fight was dangerous but it is not the job of social media companies to arbitrate and then tell what is wrong or right.

By doing that, they are taking sides and we are making the social media companies too powerful without accountability to anybody.

I wrote this when Trump was banned by Twitter. My position was not formed because I like Donald Trump.

No sir! My position was largely influenced by the fact that we are arrogating to Twitter too much power which is too dangerous.

At the moment, India government is fighting with Twitter and they just gave them the last chance with a condition that if they misbehave again, they will throw them out of India, exactly the same thing that Nigerian government did yesterday.

It is inevitable, governments around the world will push back as long as we continue to arrogate this power to choose what is wrong/right to Twitter and Facebook.

At the same time, when a social media platform becomes too powerful to ban a sitting president like Donald Trump from their platform.

Copied
By chukwudi iwuchukuw

Try and read Twitter policy. Twitter is empowering people especially against bad governance. Twitter is platform where people interact. If a post gets you upset, report the post to Twitter. Twitter takes decision based on number of complaints from the user and nature of the post in line with Twitter policy.
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by pafra(m): 6:25am On Jun 06, 2021
MadamExcellency:

It's normal. When you see offensive post on Twitter, you hit the report button the same way it's done on Nairaland. It's now left for the moderators to evaluate it and do the needful without fear or favor.

Overheating the polity because Buhari's comment with his personal account was deleted is too childish.

The Twitter Account in question is Buhari's personal account not a Nigerian Government Account like if it is @NGRPresident or government related handle.

Did you also see join statement from other eu and au world leaders condemning the Twitter act?
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by Jesuschristus: 6:45am On Jun 06, 2021
Twitter can censor free speech, but banning Twitter is banning free speech, mumu
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by stupidmod3: 7:05am On Jun 06, 2021
op thinks he is making a point.

well u are making a point.

pointless
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by fregeneh(m): 7:18am On Jun 06, 2021
Rissamenti:

Deluded dunce. You are probably alive today because of the kindness and mercy of Nigerians.

YOU LOST A WAR.

Get that fact into your thick skull.

Normally, there are TERRIBLE CONSEQUENCES to losing a war, none of which you were made to experience, courtesy of Nigeria's kindness.

Nigeria spared Igbo lives with Gowon's 'No Victor No Vanquished' policy, which stopped federal troops from marching in and ANNIHILATING YOUR ETHNIC GROUP after you'd surrendered and your leader had fled.

The Nigerian govt even gave your people money!

No one on Earth had ever seen a vIctor in war give money to the just defeated enemy to help them recover.

Without Nigeria's magnanimity, which shocked the entire world at the time, there would actually be no ''Igboland'' today, and your towns and cities would have been long ago renamed to Yoruba and Hausa names.

So lose that baseless arrogance founded on nothing but hot air and bombast.

But Sir you can't you can't move in and annihilate people after surrendering in war
Re: Twitter Is Getting It Wrong by Muna4real(f): 7:25am On Jun 06, 2021
pafra:

Copied
By chukwudi iwuchukuw

Oga,
Twitter is jack's business and he has rules and regulations in it. He made the rules for his business. Also, before you register for twitter, there are terms of agreement which you would see on your screen. I have to click "agreed" before you proceed. If you can't agree with these terms and conditions,then why use it in the first place?

(1) (Reply)

#SecureIkoyi: Outrage Over Video Calling Poor Nigerians In Ikoyi “Trespassers” / Result Of Anambra PDP Primary. / Hushpuppi: US Court Papers Indicting Abba Kyari Surface Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.