Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,868 members, 7,872,884 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 02:07 AM

FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo (743 Views)

FLASHBACK: I Have Received My Replacement Certificate From CSU — Bola Tinubu / Flashback: I Removed The Roof Of Edo Assembly To Survive Impeachment. Oshiomole / Flashback:I took Bribes And Kickbacks- Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Joylove2324(f): 10:50am On Jun 06, 2021
Osinbajo stated this in Abuja in 2019 explaining that he did not subscribe to the regulation of social media by the government.

In 2019, Vice President Yemi Osinabajo said regulation of social media is not a wise decision in reactions to threats to censor dissidents in the country.

Nigeria’s information and culture minister Lai Mohammed had on Friday announced Twitter’s suspension in a statement by his media aide, Segun Adeyemi.

The suspension by the Nigerian government comes days after a post by President Muhammadu Buhari on the 1967 civil war was deleted by the microblogging platform.

The Nigerian government’s spokesman cited “the persistent use of the platform for activities capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence” as the reason for the suspension.

Osinbajo, who stated this in Abuja in 2019 during an inter-faith tolerance dialogue organised by the United Arab Emirates, explained that he did not subscribe to the regulation of social media by the government.

He called on religious leaders to go beyond talking about tolerance to making sacrifices that were required.

Osinbajo said, “As religious leaders and media personalities, also as people of faith in general, we share a common calling to apprehend the truth. We absolutely need to be careful in our use of social media. If we do not want to promote the kind of conflict that can go completely out of hand, we must be sure that we are policing and regulating ourselves, especially with social media.

“I don’t think that government regulation is necessarily the way to go, but I believe that we as persons of faith and we, as leaders, and those of us who use the social media actively owe a responsibility to our society and to everyone else, to ensure that we don’t allow it to become an instrument of conflict and instrument of war.”

Many Nigerians have taken to social media to lambast Vice President Yemi Osinbajo for keeping mute after the suspension of Twitter operations in the country two years after he spoke against the regulation of social media.

http://saharareporters.com/2021/06/05/flashback-i-do-not-subscribe-regulation-social-media%E2%80%93osinbajo

Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Joylove2324(f): 10:52am On Jun 06, 2021
@seun @Mynd44 @Lasticlala front page please
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by TheRareGem1(f): 10:52am On Jun 06, 2021
This is the man Nigerians are calling out, fortunately, he saw this coming and he voiced out about this but Nigerians called and dragged him now, we are here. Osinbajo is a leader with foresight. Know this, know peace

Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by OgundeleTeju: 10:52am On Jun 06, 2021
Osinbajo has never being a party to the regulation of social media,he saw the future from the beginning

Dragging him is very unecessary and uncalled for

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by IamWonderful: 10:52am On Jun 06, 2021
OK
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by ClitRaider: 10:53am On Jun 06, 2021
Goat weh follow dog Waka go chop shittt..
VP don follow fulani Waka.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Janetudeh(f): 10:53am On Jun 06, 2021
The Vice President saw the future and made his stance known concerning the regulation of social media. He’s not in charge of communications, Nigerians should stop the unnecessary dragging.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Thormiwah(m): 10:53am On Jun 06, 2021
“I don’t think that government regulation is necessarily the way to go, but I believe that we as persons of faith and we, as leaders, and those of us who use the social media actively owe a responsibility to our society and to everyone else, to ensure that we don’t allow it to become an instrument of conflict and instrument of war.” - Osinbajo in 2019
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by maybanks: 10:54am On Jun 06, 2021
The fact remains Osinbajo can't and won't be blackmailed by Nigerians over this Twitter ban issue. The has done the best he could as his office requires.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by DDDEnterprises: 10:57am On Jun 06, 2021
This isn't about Osinbajo. He has little power to do anything.
Go and dig up such posts or comments from Buhari or Lai Mohammed if any.
Na dem! angry
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by StaffofOrayan(m): 10:57am On Jun 06, 2021
Blogger Osinbajo
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Nbote(m): 10:58am On Jun 06, 2021
Whether he subscribed or not, he's part of the govt dat is beginning to gag and regulate d social media
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Nobody: 10:58am On Jun 06, 2021
Well I think the problem is Alh Lai Muhammad , he continues to advise the President wrongly ......Criticism and Correction is part of democracy , if you can't accept criticism please return to DAURA.... The Vice President, even if he has something to say, would definitely talk to President Buhari privately but would he ever listen.

The President doesn't seems to know that if they are illegal troop movements it is easier to twit about it, because the mobile phone calls can easily be hijack and manipulated. I believe that was what most likely happened in some barracks in Borno that was hijacked. If I am deleting some of my post, it is out of respect for Mr President but yesterday I really have to think of the security implications.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Joyce95: 10:59am On Jun 06, 2021
"I don’t think that government regulation is necessarily the way to go".

Osinbajo was never silent on the social media regulation thing, lets always try to verify before venting.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Sonoyom(m): 10:59am On Jun 06, 2021
Osibanjo's hands are tied, another level of BDSM.

What he says is different from what he supports.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Dejyom(m): 10:59am On Jun 06, 2021
We understand Nigerians neither read nor listen to news. We'll help them by highlighting info they missed which may possibly reset their heads.
Here's what Osinbajo said when the social media regulation issue first came up two years ago.

"I don’t think that government regulation is necessarily the way to go, but I believe that we as persons of faith and we, as leaders, and those of us who use the social media actively owe a responsibility to our society and to everyone else, to ensure that we don’t allow it to become an instrument of conflict and instrument of war.”
Osinbajo.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by inioluwa03: 11:00am On Jun 06, 2021
Those calling out Osinbajo on current suspension of Twitter in Nigeria do not have the right information at hand. Osinbajo have long spoken against banning social media in the country
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by ojun50(m): 11:02am On Jun 06, 2021
We know you are not carried along in this government
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Golan007: 11:02am On Jun 06, 2021
That I supported something yesterday doesn't mean I must support it today.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Baawaa(m): 11:04am On Jun 06, 2021
Buhari is not necessary again in this country
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 06, 2021
OgundeleTeju:
Osinbajo has never being a party to the regulation of social media,he saw the future from the beginning

He is part of the system.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by clarocuzioo(m): 11:05am On Jun 06, 2021
OgundeleTeju:

But he is part of the government that banned it.
I fact he is the second in command of the government that banned Twitter.

Remember it was Buhari/Osibanjo ticket.

He has gone down as the vice president of the worst regime ever in the history of this cou try.

If he knows that is good for him, he should salvage whatever is remaining of his image and personality by resigning from the job. That way people will be more than convinced that he is not part of the foolishness on going in this regime.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by FarahAideed: 11:05am On Jun 06, 2021
Leave him alone .. anyone that does not know Osinbanjo is a victim of this govt by is dumb
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Wada3: 11:08am On Jun 06, 2021
The Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo has severally said he doesn't subscribe to Social Media regulations. All those trying to blackmail him would as usual end in shame
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by omowolewa: 11:10am On Jun 06, 2021
Okay
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Wada3: 11:10am On Jun 06, 2021
Stop posting nonsense on social media, please
ClitRaider:
Goat weh follow dog Waka go chop shittt..

VP don follow fulani Waka.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Nobody: 11:13am On Jun 06, 2021
Well, he's only the vice president after all.

Yet as an honorable man and distinguished lawyer, I feel he should resign.

Aa good name is better than all these rederede.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Wada3: 11:13am On Jun 06, 2021
Learn to be reasonable and know how it works. Take Nigeria Constitution and check the duties of the Vice President. It is clear most of you complaining about the ban are the cronies of the criminal elements trying to destroy the country. Shame you
clarocuzioo:

But he is part of the government that banned it.
I fact he is the second in command of the government that banned Twitter.

Remember it was Buhari/Osibanjo ticket.

He has gone down as the vice president of the worst regime ever in the history of this cou try.

If he knows that is good for him, he should salvage whatever is remaining of his image and personality by resigning from the job. That way people will be more than convinced that he is not part of the foolishness on going in this regime.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by clarocuzioo(m): 11:19am On Jun 06, 2021
Wada3:
Learn to be reasonable and know how it works. Take Nigeria Constitution and check the duties of the Vice President. It is clear most of you complaining about the ban are the cronies of the criminal elements trying to destroy the country. Shame you

Please remind me the ticket it was again? Or did the Nigerian constitution stop a VP from resigning?

Please spear me the gist. Am even annoyed with Osibanjo than Buhari. Buhari is serving the interest of his.people and religion very well, can that be said about Osibanjo?

They even sacked his aides.meaning he himself is helpless . They deceived the Christian community through him. RCCG and Daddy G.O . are being mocked because of him.

If he is not comfortable with what.js happening, what stops him from resigning.

Abeg.park well.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Deputy1111(m): 11:47am On Jun 06, 2021
Osinbajo did not support this social media banning from the beginning,
A good leader sees beyond now.
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by okefranci: 1:14pm On Jun 06, 2021
“I don’t think that government regulation is necessarily the way to go, but I believe that we as persons of faith and we, as leaders, and those of us who use the social media actively owe a responsibility to our society and to everyone else, to ensure that we don’t allow it to become an instrument of conflict and instrument of war.” - Osinbajo
Re: FLASHBACK: I Do Not Subscribe To Regulation Of Social Media–osinbajo by Peappy49(f): 2:03pm On Jun 06, 2021
The VP has spoken

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos House Visits Tinubu, Says APC Leader Hail And Hearty / NIGERIA: How To Beat The Inflation (A Report) / Nigeria May Rise To The 3rd Most Powerful Military In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.