Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,749 members, 7,875,869 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:08 AM

Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? - Investment (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? (37410 Views)

Looking For A Company That Will Fetch You Good Source Of Income, This Is For You / Investors Lose $190m As Owner Of Cryptocurrency Company Dies With Passwords / MMM Shuts Down Operations And Site After The Death Of The Owner, Sergey Mavrodi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by EdwardRandy(m): 3:51pm On Jun 07, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
I'll personally draft and create a contract and get the very first investors to sign that at all times I'll own 60% of the shares.

All share sales and dilution will come from the remaining 40%. Can't come and form a company and then some modaf*ckers will push me out.
Lol.. Your comment cracked me up, but nevertheless I learnt something from ur point.
I'm a young guy working to set up a company, but pls I want to understand something.. What if the founder has all the ideas but doesn't have enough money to invest like other investors, how does he safeguard his position?
I hope I made sense with my question? If not, correct me
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by EdwardRandy(m): 4:12pm On Jun 07, 2021
LagbajaTheBEREAN:

Lass lass, na sole propertorship go be the koko be that, partnership is not advisable bi that buh pesin wey no con get bar how hin wan take start sef...
Lol.. Na poverty yab man my brother. If you get your full money wetin concern you and investors?
Imagine person suffer create company, only to wake up one morning and be told by his board of directors that he's no longer the CEO, rather he's now the gateman of the company. embarassed embarassed ..shey no be civil war be that?

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 4:46pm On Jun 07, 2021
EdwardRandy:

Lol.. Na poverty yab man my brother. If you get your full money wetin concern you and investors?
Imagine person suffer create company, only to wake up one morning and be told by his board of directors that he's no longer the CEO, rather he's now the gateman of the company. embarassed embarassed ..shey no be civil war be that?
No be lie, boss man...

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by EdwardRandy(m): 5:23pm On Jun 07, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

It can happen, it happened last week to the founder of Lekoil.

Strive the founder of Econet now Airtel.

The business needed huge capital when investors came the share of the founder reduced to 5%. The GSM license was bought at $280 million about 20 years ago.
Even with the 5% owners Strive became a multi millionaire in dollars. I learnt he is now the first black billionaire in UK
But i'm sure it's possible to increase your shares from 5% in future right? If possible, what ways pls?
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:00pm On Jun 07, 2021
EdwardRandy:

But i'm sure it's possible to increase your shares from 5% in future right? If possible, what ways pls?

Provided others are ready to sell.

Econet initially had a headstart over MTN, but because the founding CEO was trying to prevent the dilution of his holdings he frustrated all efforts to sell more shares of the company.

Until when he was kicked out, that was when the company started growing

2 Likes

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by EdwardRandy(m): 6:11pm On Jun 07, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Econet initially had a headstart over MTN, but because the founding CEO was trying to prevent the dilution of his holdings he frustrated all efforts to sell more shares of the company

Oh I get it. Thanks
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by phazotron(m): 11:26pm On Jun 07, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Different strokes for different folks, I am okay with 1% Zenith Bank than with 100% of a microfinance bank.

Your 1% ownership of Zenith Bank would have fetched you a dividend of N900 million in 2020

While the microfinance bank might not make a profit of N100 million in 2020

As if privately held companies dont grow

Glo and chi na public company Abi? So many examples of private companies doing well

I prefer it like that because I know say my product go make sense

Investors go dey but no be say Dem go chance me on top my shares

If you like Kuku dash wetin u suppose give your children as Inheritance to outsiders.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Rick9(m): 2:09am On Jun 08, 2021
kayphyzee:

Think big Bro, think big. Going public gives the Company unlimited room for growth. After a while, you start thinking about sustainability. Building an entity that will outlive you.

NSE will require that at least 20% of the shareholding should be offered to the public. The big bank boys (Ovia, Elumelu, Late Aderinokun etc) still hold substantial shareholding in the banks (directly and indirectly) even though they no longer perform executive roles.

I have my reasons. Have you heard about Cargill?
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Rick9(m): 2:09am On Jun 08, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Haha then your company will never grow

Have you heard about Cargill?

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Rick9(m): 2:10am On Jun 08, 2021
phazotron:

Glo and chi na public company Abi? So many examples of private companies doing well

If you like Kuku dash wetin u suppose give your children as Inheritance to outsiders.

I tire oh as if na by only to go public na company take dey grow.

Google "Cargill"

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Rick9(m): 2:36am On Jun 08, 2021
Available247:
Only intelligent and business oriented people can be on this thread. It's quite informative, thanks OP. Now I know what to do when creating my own company
Indeed. That's why it's good to read constantly.
Most people don't read
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Rick9(m): 2:57am On Jun 08, 2021
Instead of me.to get fired or booted out of a company I started, I would plan hostile takeover.

That's what concerns me now.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:10am On Jun 08, 2021
phazotron:

Adenuga does not have 20% of Glo, Chi sold about 80% of the company to Coca cola over a billion dollars.

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:11am On Jun 08, 2021
Rick9:
Instead of me.to get fired or booted out of a company I started, I would plan hostile takeover.

That's what concerns me now.

You need shares for hostile takeover. If you have 50.1% you can't be removed and hostile takeover will be ineffective

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Afromentalist: 5:52am On Jun 08, 2021
phazotron:

Some of you also don't realize that shareholders will not try to takeover the founder just like, especially if it does not make economic sense. It's not really about control, rather usually about direction and profits. For a hostile takeover to be planned and agreed it has to make economic sense and the CEO must be perceived as erring.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Afromentalist: 5:56am On Jun 08, 2021
Rick9:

I tire oh as if na by only to go public na company take dey grow.

Google "Cargill"
You have been talking about that Cargill many times now, I guess it is some form of counter example.

It is very unwise for a businessman to plan on exceptions. Yes exceptions do happen, but more likely than not, it is the tendency that totlaly controlled companies experience a slow growth and a big company will open it's shares to raise capital and takeover the market.

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by manny4life(m): 7:54am On Jun 08, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
I'll personally draft and create a contract and get the very first investors to sign that at all times I'll own 60% of the shares.

All share sales and dilution will come from the remaining 40%. Can't come and form a company and then some modaf*ckers will push me out.

This is nearly impossible for many reasons, because a bulk of the dilution comes after the the early stage of the company, which is the growth stage, and also, because of the pre and post money valuation and certain types of clauses regarding voting rights, naming of directors and much more. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but most investors wouldn't subscribe to this. May be possible for a small corporation but definitely not a large or mega type corp.

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by phazotron(m): 10:01am On Jun 08, 2021
Afromentalist:

Some of you also don't realize that shareholders will not try to takeover the founder just like, especially if it does not make economic sense. It's not really about control, rather usually about direction and profits. For a hostile takeover to be planned and agreed it has to make economic sense and the CEO must be perceived as erring.

It is well

But better safe than sorry.

Investors that can't take 40%-45% are straight greedy that's the fact

No company can grow without investment, but allowing outsiders to own more than you is plain stupid
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by phazotron(m): 10:02am On Jun 08, 2021
manny4life:

This is nearly impossible for many reasons, because a bulk of the dilution comes after the the early stage of the company, which is the growth stage, and also, because of the pre and post money valuation and certain types of clauses regarding voting rights, naming of directors and much more. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but most investors wouldn't subscribe to this. May be possible for a small corporation but definitely not a large or mega type corp.

Why? Isn't that greed? So 40%-45% is too small for outside investors?
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:10am On Jun 08, 2021
phazotron:

It depends on the capital needed for the business.

You can do a business of N100 million using your own resources, you can't do a business of N10 billion without external capital. It is a risk management strategy and not putting your eggs in a basket.

Do you think Mark Zuckerberg owns 10% of Facebook ni.

The guys who started Flutterwave can't own 20% of the company, the company is currently valued at about $1 billion.

This would not have happened within 10 years if they did not get external funding.

Having an idea or business dream is different from having the capital to harness the enormous opportunities from the idea or dreams
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:13am On Jun 08, 2021
manny4life:

All shares rank parri passu, all shares will experience dilution once you get additional funds.

The founder's shares can't be insulated from the dilution
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:16am On Jun 08, 2021
phazotron:

You don't have to sell shares you can raise debts, but the creditors can takeover the company if you don't pay up as agreed.

Shareholders are in it for the long run, whether you make profit or not. You don't have that luxury with creditors.

You need to consider the mixture of equity and debt that will work for the growth, sustainability and profitablity of the business
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Fanuchi007: 2:07pm On Jun 09, 2021
phazotron:

How will you not be the owner when you get majority shares there
In a very large company, the major shareholder can have 15% shares. Some other shareholders can have like 10,5,6,2,0.5% shares. If they merge,you can be removed in special instances. Let's say the company is in huge dept, u are the owner and major shareholder, but one of the shareholder is actually richer that you cos he owns other projects. When the board of directors see's that you have no feasible means of rescuing the company, u will be forced to sell your shares or part of it, thus making the new major shareholder the owner of the company.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:57pm On Jun 09, 2021
Fanuchi007:

In a very large company, the major shareholder can have 15% shares. Some other shareholders can have like 10,5,6,2,0.5% shares. If they merge,you can be removed in special instances. Let's say the company is in huge dept, u are the owner and major shareholder, but one of the shareholder is actually richer that you cos he owns other projects. When the board of directors see's that you have no feasible means of rescuing the company, u will be forced to sell your shares or part of it, thus making the new major shareholder the owner of the company.

Even if the founder is not ready to sell his shares, the company's debts can be converted to equities which will dilute the holdings of the founder

2 Likes

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Fanuchi007: 3:04pm On Jun 09, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Even if the founder is not ready to sell his shares, the company's debts can be converted to equities which will dilute the holdings of the founder
U get d point!!!
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by slyfran6(m): 6:29am On Aug 11, 2021
phazotron:

Glo is a publicly traded company listed on the bourse of NGX.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by ebukason3(m): 4:39pm On Aug 24, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Econet initially had a headstart over MTN, but because the founding CEO was trying to prevent the dilution of his holdings he frustrated all efforts to sell more shares of the company.

Econet CEO was actually against giving out bribes from the company account that was why he was kicked out.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:50pm On Aug 24, 2021
ebukason3:

Econet CEO was actually against giving out bribes from the company account that was why he was kicked out.

He was against injection of more capital in order to avoid shareholding dilution. He owned 5% of the company.

Econet had a headstart over MTN, funding for expansion was why MTN caught up with Econet...

The business started growing, getting more capital in form of debt when the CEO was sacked.

Shareholders have the power to sack a board and the CEO. The shareholders of Econet were Lagos State, Delta State, Akwa Ibom State, First Bank, FCMB, Leadway Assurance, Crusader Insurance, Oba Otudeko, Subomi Balogun, Hassan Odukale family
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by ronyboy: 1:33pm On Oct 04, 2023
Casper21:
The question “Can the board of directors fire the owner?” is becoming increasingly contentious. CEOs and founders of companies often find themselves out of a job after being fired by means of a vote undertaken by the board of the company. If the person in question is not the owner of a controlling share in the company, there is not much they can do to avoid being fired.

Sharing the ownership of a company leads to loss of total control over it. As external investors are brought in, owners' shares get diluted, and the founder of a company can often find that he or she owns less than half of the shares in that company. This leaves him or her at risk of being fired.

If a CEO has a contract in place, he or she may get fired at the end of that contract period, if the company has new owners or is moving in a new direction.

The CEO, despite being the person who incorporated the company, often gets fired in times when the company is experiencing a slump in financial performance. This is because internal company politics and differing leadership styles render people vulnerable.

If a founder gets fired, then the company's investors have obviously lost confidence in that founder's ability to establish profitability. Or, in the case of a company that is already turning a profit, they do not consider the founder capable of helping the company grow and evolving to meet the needs of a changing market.

...Strategies for Avoiding Dismissal....

Tech Crunch advises executives to always remain defensive, working with key players and building personal relationships with board members and shareholders. These, according to Tech Crunch, are the most important strategies in defending oneself from being attacked by the board of one's own company.

Founders and CEOs need to focus on more than the fact that they are indispensable – they also need to recognize the areas in which they are vulnerable. They can do this in a number of ways:

Knowing whether or not a board vote is enough to fire them.

Being aware of whether or not alleged wrongdoings need to have taken place in order for them to be dismissed.

Keeping one's ears open to listen for complaints and expressions of discontent, and
Being careful of the contracts that they sign.
An important step that CEOs can take to protect their position is to get all promises in writing. A CEO should never trust anybody who claims to always have his or her back.

Taxes on sale of business S corp can be a complex matter, but they do not grant the board of directors the authority to fire the owner of a company. The decision to remove an owner typically involves shareholder voting or adherence to the company's bylaws and operating agreements.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by ratracerebel(m): 4:28am On Oct 07, 2023
For me, I don't think so. As a driver of your car, I don't have that power or mental justification to become the owner.

Meanwhile, you can employ Marketing AI to revamp your business with highly encouraging guide from experts,thereby finding no need to hijack another person's business. Your own business can begin to experience growth today, because, more than 20 thousand people can't just be lying.

Hop into my signature to start NOW!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Don't Invest In MMM Again If You Love Your Self And Please Tell Your Family / Ponzi Scheme Tension: My Employer Is Pumping Money Into A New One / Olusola Lawanson Adeeko Wanted For Absconding With Customers' $20M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.