Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,970 members, 7,873,109 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:12 AM

Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies (27446 Views)

Do Loan App Companies Still Messages To Defaulters Contact After Defaulting / Cab Drivers Move To Dump Uber, Bolt, Partner Indigenous Ride Sharing Apps / Taxify/uber Partners And Drivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by efficiencie(m): 3:09pm On Jun 10, 2021
wonder233:
I take it that you are a consumer and not an agent of uber/Bolt. Now if you're just a customer, then you should be happy for more competition entering into the field as this can only be to your advantage. We all know how Glo forced others to adopt per second billing at a time they all swore it was impossible. Even though today most people still use Airtel and MTN, the presence of Glo and 9mobile (both indigenous companies) is what is making these foreign guys not rip you apart. So, I'm surprised when I read comments such as yours opposing and denigrating...is it a case of Stockholm syndrome? Competition that will force down prices for you, you are opposing it. Na wa o

Lol. Competition my foot. A union of drivers want to patronize one local app and you call that competition. You can fool many but not someone who understands market structures. Anywhere there is a union you have imperfect markets and anywhere you find imperfect markets you find that prices are not entirely subject to creative destruction or the natural forces of demand and supply. As a matter of empirics imperfect markets are consistent with wastage and underutilization of inputs' capacity...you cited Glo but you forget that there isn't enough competition in telecoms market for it to generate maximum gains to the consumers. The few suppliers in the industry render crappy services, change tariffs at will even when demand hasn't changed significantly, comparatively charge higher tariffs than is obtainable in countries where true competition exists and lobby the government to block entry into the industry...if Uber/Bolt has refused to raise its charges then deal with it...go get another local app and charge higher prices and see what will happen to Bolt/Uber demand. The only card you lots can wield is to lobby the government to use mumu government policy to stifle real competition!
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by kenex4ever(m): 3:26pm On Jun 10, 2021
yom2:
how many indigenous things has worked effectively?
But it has to work, cahrity begins at home.
How will dollar ever reduce wrt naira if we keep patronizing foreign?
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by wonder233: 3:34pm On Jun 10, 2021
Let's analyse your points raised: on the question of union, let me have you know it is impossible to have the MC oluomo type arrangement in this case. Simply for the mere fact that these are strictly private, unmarked cars. Nobody can identify me or force me to drive for a particular app. All apps will woo me and I will choose the one with the best package for me. Ditto you the passenger. Even the govt knows they can't enforce anything on the drivers and passengers of ehailing directly because it is an anonymous market hence they have to collect taxes via the App companies while the app companies in turn deduct via commissions. Nobody can force me to join a union. The union you feel so threatened by is at best an informal aggregation of persons in the same industry. It is a persuasive body, lacking any coercive powers. In some parts of the EU, neither uber nor Bolt is allowed to operate, there is nothing sacrosanct about them, I don't understand your hero worship of them. What's your stake as a passenger is the lowest fare and good service, what's my stake as a driver is competitive prices and good work conditions. This tussle is replicated in all spheres of human endeavours. So I don't understand this hostility
efficiencie:

Lol. Competition my foot. A union of drivers want to patronize one local app and you call that competition. You can fool many but not someone who understands market structures. Anywhere there is a union you have imperfect markets and anywhere you find imperfect markets you find that prices are not entirely subject to creative destruction or the natural forces of demand and supply. As a matter of empirics imperfect markets are consistent with wastage and underutilization of inputs' capacity...you cited Glo but you forget that there isn't enough competition in telecoms market for it to generate maximum gains to the consumers. The few suppliers in the industry render crappy services, change tariffs at will even when demand hasn't changed significantly, comparatively charge higher tariffs than is obtainable in countries where true competition exists and lobby the government to block entry into the industry...if Uber/Bolt has refused to raise its charges then deal with it...go get another local app and charge higher prices and see what will happen to Bolt/Uber demand. The only card you lots can wield is to lobby the government to use mumu government policy to stifle real competition!
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by efficiencie(m): 3:42pm On Jun 10, 2021
wonder233:
Let's analyse your points raised: on the question of union, let me have you know it is impossible to have the MC oluomo type arrangement in this case. Simply for the mere fact that these are strictly private, unmarked cars. Nobody can identify me or force me to drive for a particular app. All apps will woo me and I will choose the one with the best package for me. Ditto you the passenger. Even the govt knows they can't enforce anything on the drivers and passengers of ehailing directly because it is an anonymous market hence they have to collect taxes via the App companies while the app companies in turn deduct via commissions. Nobody can force me to join a union. The union you feel so threatened by is at best an informal aggregation of persons in the same industry. It is a persuasive body, lacking any coercive powers. In some parts of the EU, neither uber nor Bolt is allowed to operate, there is nothing sacrosanct about them, I don't understand your hero worship of them. What's your stake as a passenger is the lowest fare and good service, what's my stake as a driver is competitive prices and good work conditions. This tussle is replicated in all spheres of human endeavours. So I don't understand this hostility
Lol! Hero worship? I am not worshipping anything here but clearly you are critical of Uber/Bolt in a way that doesn't seem justified by your explanation. You claim the union does not have coercive powers but they engaged in a strike action against Uber/Bolt due to the fares and their cut and now they want to lobby union members into patronizing a so called local app. See I am not saying anyone isn't free to choose whatever platform they like rather I'm saying the solution advanced by the union of drivers does not amount to bringing about competition in the market...rather they just want to have greater benefits for themselves at the expense of the welfare of consumers...their main motivation is anchored on the differential fares between the regular cabs and the Uber/Bolt cabs. They see that consumers are shifting from patronizing regular cabs to Uber/Bolt and they are panicking like crybabies!
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by mmsen: 4:00pm On Jun 10, 2021
quentin06:

Taxi cab drivers are the same allover, before you judge them consider the hazards they face from police, lastma, thugs, vehicle owners, passengers, fuel and maintenance.
How does a business model created by individuals in another country who know nothing of our transport system address this?
We need local solutions to our local problems, copy n paste won't work.

These new apps ARE copy and paste.

They aren't doing anything new.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Cutehector(m): 4:03pm On Jun 10, 2021
WayoProphet:
I see them developing the app, I see the app crashing after 3 months. I see them running back to uber and bolt app. These I have seen.
you have seen well my brother grin
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by wonder233: 4:12pm On Jun 10, 2021
Regular cabs?? Oh so you view this as a "fight" by regular cabs against uber/Bolt? You couldn't be more wrong! These drivers including myself are active drivers on the uber/bolt platforms. Who still uses regular cabs haggling for a rickety ride? Lol you're so funny o. This is the bane of Nigeria: we always think of everything as having one ulterior motive or the other, if we can't readily find one, we make up one.
Bro, this is simply uber/bolt drivers looking out door their own best interests. That's all there is to it. Any platform that offers the best, we drive. Freedom of choice
efficiencie:

Lol! Hero worship? I am not worshipping anything here but clearly you are critical of Uber/Bolt in a way that doesn't seem justified by your explanation. You claim the union does not have coercive powers but they engaged in a strike action against Uber/Bolt due to the fares and their cut and now they want to lobby union members into patronizing a so called local app. See I am not saying anyone isn't free to choose whatever platform they like rather I'm saying the solution advanced by the union of drivers does not amount to bringing about competition in the market...rather they just want to have greater benefits for themselves at the expense of the welfare of consumers...their main motivation is anchored on the differential fares between the regular cabs and the Uber/Bolt cabs. They see that consumers are shifting from patronizing regular cabs to Uber/Bolt and they are panicking like crybabies!
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Gfskw: 6:08pm On Jun 10, 2021
Oh
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by segun18(m): 6:18pm On Jun 10, 2021
dingbang:
Falseprophet1 pls come and tell us what you have seen.

LOL
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by DedeNkem: 9:23pm On Jun 10, 2021
The problem with indigenous stuff is that Nigerians are mentally very much INCAPABLE of maintaining anything. It's a Nigerian disease.

They'll never be as organized and efficient like Uber and Bolt. It would be hard to wean people off these two foreign apps
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by wwwihy: 7:33am On Jun 11, 2021
Eriokanmi:
If it will be effective and affordable, it's a welcome development. The problem we have in this country is much. We love copying others for the sake of financial gains, not for service delivery.

Some years back, fashola stopped commercial bike riders in lagos and we were all clapping our hands, especially when he cited high degree of accidents due to reckless riding which was the truth. A few months later, he introduced his own bike which through his wife, which wasn't even as strong as bajaj boxer marketed by an Indian company located at ilupeju. The Indian company was offering a helmet alongside their bike to buyers too. They had to make it mandatory sef. He now introduced his own helmet. Both the bike and helmet offered by fashola were costing nearly 500k and people protested. It was then they knew the motive of fashola for banning okada...obviously not for the sake of reckless riding but to make money. When they knew they couldn't cope they jejeely left the commercial riders alone. What happened Daarsat today and other like-companies today? That's the issue
It Ambode, not Fashola that introduced the Indian Coy
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Eriokanmi: 8:32am On Jun 11, 2021
wwwihy:

It Ambode, not Fashola that introduced the Indian Coy
Not true. Na fahola wife sef dey important am comedy. This i remember very well
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Kalubolt(m): 11:45am On Jun 13, 2021
wonder233:
I am also a Bolt driver. Stop misleading the public: the bonuses are not automatic, you have to complete a stringent number of conditions to earn them, 55 rides, 90% acceptance and completion rates, etc. By the time you work like Jacky to meet those conditions, you have worked yourself to the ground and your car must develop one major fault that will take all the money and more. Then because you don't want to default on the acceptance rate, you can't reject rides even your instincts tells you is dangerous cos no matter what reason you give for rejecting a ride your activity rating dips and you get threatened with permenant deactivation. They are so eager to please customers and treat you like disposable diapers because they know people like you will take anything.
How many times have you gone on long trips with numerous passenger delays and at the end of the day the passenger is charged a paltry fee? Is your self-esteem that low? You don't think you deserve anything? How many times have passengers themselves told you they don't agree with what they were charged that it was too small and even dashed you out of pity? How about proper passenger profiling nko? We've been appealing for this since. You still see a request no proper name just "Don X" "Miss K". How many drivers have lost their lives or their cars? They dangle bonus with strict conditions to you, you're coming here to spew stuff. As a driver, increased competition is to your advantage, you can decide the best company to work for and they will all be eager to give you the best working conditions. So stop asslicking
My friend speak for yourself, I have been on the Bolt app for a year and six month. I have never been ban or ask questions. You guys should drop your egos and treat riders right. As for bonuses, so you want free bonus and don't to work for it. 55 trips from Monday to Friday is 11 trips per day, so how is that overworking yourself and killing the car.
If you want me to teach how to accept every ride and don't go all and still have your acceptance rate intact, call on me. I accept every goddamn ride but I select which one to go or not and my acceptance rate is 100%, so call on me to teach you and stop all this complain.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by wonder233: 1:35pm On Jun 13, 2021
Typical Nigerian, people are trying to push for a better wage that you will also benefit from, you are here trying to sound smart, trying to impress, trying to sound educated. You've been on the Bolt app for less than 2years, how do you think the bonus and little concessions you're enjoying came about? These are products of constant agitations by folks like you. How do you think even taxify now bolt came about in Nigeria? They studied the market and took advantage of the agitations drivers had against uber which was the high commission (25%) and crashed theirs to 20%. Some other platform can enter the market and crash it further to 15%. It's possible. How about proper passenger profiling? Not just "Don X" or "Mhiz K"? So that you have a bit of safety? Or you also have a hack for that? Business negotiations are a constant activity in any economic endeavour. Wages and working conditions can always get better. If you can't support something you yourself will benefit on, then at least just keep shut, its the least you can do.
Kalubolt:

My friend speak for yourself, I have been on the Bolt app for a year and six month. I have never been ban or ask questions. You guys should drop your egos and treat riders right. As for bonuses, so you want free bonus and don't to work for it. 55 trips from Monday to Friday is 11 trips per day, so how is that overworking yourself and killing the car.
If you want me to teach how to accept every ride and don't go all and still have your acceptance rate intact, call on me. I accept every goddamn ride but I select which one to go or not and my acceptance rate is 100%, so call on me to teach you and stop all this complain.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Kalubolt(m): 9:38am On Jun 14, 2021
wonder233:
Typical Nigerian, people are trying to push for a better wage that you will also benefit from, you are here trying to sound smart, trying to impress, trying to sound educated. You've been on the Bolt app for less than 2years, how do you think the bonus and little concessions you're enjoying came about? These are products of constant agitations by folks like you. How do you think even taxify now bolt came about in Nigeria? They studied the market and took advantage of the
agitations drivers had against uber which was the high commission (25%) and crashed theirs to 20%. Some other platform can enter the market and crash it further to 15%. It's possible. How about proper passenger profiling? Not just "Don X" or "Mhiz K"? So that you have a bit of safety? Or you also have a hack for that? Business negotiations are a constant activity in any economic endeavour. Wages and working conditions can always get better. If you can't support something you yourself will benefit on, then at least just keep shut, its the least you can do.
If you're talking of reduce percentage and passengers profiling fine, but talking about increasing the fare, do you have the riders in mind. In this economic hardship you still want them to increase the fare. What if the riders themselves start protesting the hike in ride fares cus that's what I found out majority drivers are looking for
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by wonder233: 9:52am On Jun 14, 2021
Drivers want to earn more, the apps have to find a way about it. It could be reduced commission, charging for waiting time, making sure the app correctly calculates fares cos many times after a long trip, with multiple re-routing, the final fare amounts to nothing and when you complain to them, they don't answer you. And the issue of safety. Many drivers have lost their lives and no proper profiling to apprehend the culprits
Kalubolt:

If you're talking of reduce percentage and passengers profiling fine, but talking about increasing the fare, do you have the riders in mind. In this economic hardship you still want them to increase the fare. What if the riders themselves start protesting the hike in ride fares cus that's what I found out majority drivers are looking for
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by texazzpete(m): 8:01am On Jun 28, 2021
wonder233:
Same Ikoyi club the foreign Mr Smiths and Mr Greens are also wining and dining with their local business counterparts? Bro what concerns me as a driver is simply the platform that offers me the best price and conditions of service. Monopoly or duopoly can't give me that. Only a market with multiple players can guarantee that. Same for you a customer, the more platforms, the better for you to choose from.

Of course, and this does not conflict with anything I’ve said.
Competition is great for consumers, and hopefully more choice means more savings.

It just doesn’t make sense to couch this as a patriotic battle.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by driftapp: 1:45am On Apr 06, 2022
Become a drift driver, make up to N20k per day, no paying commissions. Whatsapp 0. 9 0. 5 997. 6588 to sign up now. Instant activation.

Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Timagex(m): 8:03pm On Jan 08, 2023
Kalubolt:

Hello bro. Are you still in the e hailing business?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad / Sinoma Is Constructing A Cement Plant In Kogi (Photos) / Azikel Refinery To Commence Operations In 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.