Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,466 members, 7,968,297 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 12:18 AM

Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree (2172 Views)

Lecturer Dr Danfulani Arrested For Criticizing Buhari On Facebook Denied Bail / APC Full Of Toronto Certificate Holders – Sambo / News:nigerian Lecturer, Adeniyi Adebowale Swept Away By Flood In Osun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree by aloyemeka2: 9:54pm On May 04, 2011
[size=14pt]Don’ jailed four years for certificate forgery[/size]
By Augustine Tsenzenghul 21 hours 52 minutes ago

Fwelve 12 years, he paraded fake credentials with which he got a job at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University (ATBU), Bauchi.
Yesterday, the law caught up with Daniel Ishola Owoademi, 51. He was jailed four years for certificate forgery.
Chief Magistrate Isa Mohammed, sitting in Bauchi, said the prosecution had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.
Police Prosecutor Inspector Iliya Bitrus, told the court: “The Chief Security Officer of the university, Mallam Garkuwa Ilimi, reported to the Police, on behalf of the university management, that the Governing Council had discovered that Owoademi, a lecturer, possessed fake credentials.
“The credentials include four testimonials, a Higher National Diploma (HND) certificate, all of them from the Institution of Modelling in the United States of America, and one of the certificates is a B.Sc, which he claimed to have been issued by a university in Canada and with which he secured employment with the university and has since April 4, 1999, been an employee of the university.”

Bitrus added: “The suspect admitted before the Governing Council of the university that the said credentials are fake and that he forged them. More so, he could not give satisfactory account of how he came about the credentials.”
The offence is contrary to Sections 363; 364 and 321 of the Penal Code.
Owoademi admitted he was guilty of the offenses as charged, describing his act as “the devil work”.
He pleaded for leniency.

His counsel, D.T. Bukar, said it was “the first time Owoademi was involved in something like this”, praying the court to temper justice with mercy.
He said Owoademi was a pastor who presided over a church and has a family.
“Over and above that, he has shown remorse by accepting the charges against him without taking the court through any pains,” Bukar said.
Delivering judgment, Mohammed overruled the counsel’s pleas and sentenced the accused to one year imprisonment on the first count with an option of N10,000 fine.
On the second count, the Chief Magistrate sentenced Owoademi to a year imprisonment with an option of N20,000 fine.
On the third count, the convict was jailed for two years with an option of N30,000 fine.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/4988-%E2%80%98don%E2%80%99-jailed-four-years-for-certificate-forgery.html
Re: Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree by abadaba(m): 9:56pm On May 04, 2011
Very good.
Re: Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree by aloyemeka2: 9:57pm On May 04, 2011

He said Owoademi was a pastor who presided over a church and has a family

This guy is a jack of all trades , he also doubles as a pastor. I am sure if they look further, he could have another professional career besides lecturing and pastoring a church.
Re: Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree by Rhino5dm: 10:09pm On May 04, 2011
The man is a fraud. I personally know him. He used to brag to his with, US this, canada that, Russia blah blah . . . The eddiot can't even slove simple heat equation.

When we came to rescue the students the cristain comminuty was crying witch hunting.

He is not alone, Prof. Gerry Egbo(dean school of engineering), Engr. Aje tokan, Prof. J.s Jatau, Prof. Elinwa should also be investigated cos they are all fraud.
Re: Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree by abadaba(m): 10:09pm On May 04, 2011
aloy-emeka:

This guy is a jack of all trades , he also doubles as a pastor. I am sure if they look further, he could have another professional career besides lecturing and pastoring a church.
spot on.
Re: Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree by gokuu(m): 10:29pm On May 04, 2011
Yoruba man! Na wa o! Is this how they've been getting their professorship?
Re: Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree by OAM4J: 10:37pm On May 04, 2011
gokuu:

Yoruba man! Na wa o! Is this how they've been getting their professorship?

I would have been surprised if one of you had not make this post, as usual.

@topic

I think the judge was too lenient on him, he only has to pay N60,000 and he is a free man.
Re: Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree by Kenyy: 11:36pm On May 04, 2011
Has The Leaturer Been Defending The Said Certificates In Terms Of Service Delivery? If Yes, The Lecturer Should Be Pardoned And Asked To Begin Work Immediately. By The Way, What Uses Are Real Certificates If There Are Not In Consonance With Productive Service Delivery? I Believe It Is High Time We Stopped This Overdependence On Paper Qualifications!
Re: Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree by aloyemeka2: 11:57pm On May 04, 2011
Kenyy:

Has The Leaturer Been Defending The Said Certificates In Terms Of Service Delivery? If Yes, The Lecturer Should Be Pardoned And Asked To Begin Work Immediately. By The Way, What Uses Are Real Certificates If There Are Not In Consonance With Productive Service Delivery? I Believe It Is High Time We Stopped This Overdependence On Paper Qualifications!

If that is the case, then any nurse who successfully performs a surgery after years of observing doctors in the theater should be allowed to become one.
Re: Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree by Rhino5dm: 12:04am On May 05, 2011
Sorry mate. The guy is so wacked for real.

He was over tolerated for long. As dept record officer the dude messed up things. Big time.

Kenyy:

Re: Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree by gidson12(m): 12:16am On May 05, 2011
you see its now a nigerian problem, but if this man were to be an igbo, i know what the bigoted yorubas would turn here into, expecialy that gay/got rhino5dm
Re: Nigerian Lecturer Jailed For Toronto Degree by aloyemeka2: 12:44am On May 05, 2011
gidson12:

you see its now a nigerian problem, but if this man were to be an igbo, i know what the bigoted yorubas would turn here into, expecialy that gay/got rhino5dm

Oh please shurrrup.

(1) (Reply)

I Really Appreciate All The Lagos Related Threads And Attention On Nl. / New Slogan "God Bless Nigeria" / GEJ Divides Newly Formed Opposition Party A.P.C.....Me I dey Laugh!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.