Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,611 members, 7,944,830 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 05:47 AM

Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? (15017 Views)

Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria / Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? / Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by Hassanmaye(m): 8:52pm On Jun 16, 2021
Akpuobi1:
Yeah, your friend will be communicating massively

Happy communication

cool cool cool undecided undecided undecided grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Hahahahahahah bad boy
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by folks4luv(f): 8:57pm On Jun 16, 2021
When people hear mass comm, they think newscasters and journalists whereas it is way more than that. The question is, is your friend passionate about the media? If yes, he should take it but expand his knowledge beyond what they are teaching in the class rooms. There are lots of things you can do with a mass comm degree but you first need to be passionate about it

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by Gbest90(m): 9:18pm On Jun 16, 2021
fergie001:

There is nothing a Mass Comms/Theatre Arts/Political Science/History (Humanities generally) can do that a Doctor, Engineer or Accountant cannot do.

Asides Law and maybe Languages....Course no dey there again.

I wouldn't advise anyone to take up any of these Courses.

It is very relevant my bro....when you leave the Univ or you are serving, it will now dawn on you.

If your Guardians aren't those who have the "legs" or perhaps there is something extraordinary about you...leave am o.
Hmmm.

You obviously do have a point. But your last paragraph summed up my earlier statement . The Legs

I have a friend who studied health education, but currently works in a bank. All you need is a degree(any one at all) and the legs.

Major Science courses aside, one will still roam the streets endlessly in search of jobs without connections.

Na Naija be this.
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by idrisaleo1: 11:02pm On Jun 16, 2021
Just learn one or two languages alongside that...i.e. German/French. There are loads of opportunities particularly for Mass Communication graduates in a country like Germany. Here, they respect what you read ooo and you hardly see a scientist switching to a public relations role or something, it won't fly in Germany. Choose electives in Marketing and PR too. But focus on that language, it's hugely important. Even if it's in one language you can advance to the C1 Level.... You will have a better chance.

Consider adding up another language skills to whatever you are studying, and thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by fergie001: 11:02pm On Jun 16, 2021
Gbest90:

Hmmm.

You obviously do have a point. But your last paragraph summed up my earlier statement . The Legs

I have a friend who studied health education, but currently works in a bank. All you need is a degree(any one at all) and the legs.

Major Science courses aside, one will still roam the streets endlessly in search of jobs without connections.

Na Naija be this.
You see that legs, very vital.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by BJanta: 11:25pm On Jun 16, 2021
Lankyscot:
Studying Mass Communication has become a waste of time. 90% of OAPs did not study Mass Comm. Nowadays, all you need to be a presenter is to be able to speak britico english. Radio and TV stations are more interested in your SKILLS than in your Kpali.

Last bullet: There are many people who practice journalism who did not even study mass comm. You can decide to be a journalist by starting a youtube channel!

You're are absolutely right.I was one of the most celebrated writers when I was with The National Mirror when at its debut,and I read Computer Sciences. There was this other guy from Edo too whose name l cannot remember. He was an excellent hand too.He read Biochemistry. You go for Masscom they teach you theory and how to critique other people's literary works. But that would neither transform your diction nor expand your lexicon, the two major skills you need to write elegantly and gracefully. And only and solely by dedicated and diligent study of other people"s works can you acquire this. You devote yourself to reading and studying anything in print and listening to all manners of programmes on radio and television including news. And of course, stacks and stacks of novels. By the time you do this for about six, you would have become transformed.
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by Batman2412(m): 1:30am On Jun 17, 2021
I thought they have scrapped the course
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by hosuji88(m): 2:55am On Jun 17, 2021
As for me... Please go and learn a skill.. believe u will never regret it..
I swear job hard to see o.. please go and learn a skill...
OcholaKings:
my friend who has just been offered admission to study mass com is kinda scared whether to accept it or rewrite another jamb considering the nigerian job market after graduation.

I already told him to further abroad after graduation..

Mass com graduates in the house, how has the experience been for you since graduation, is it advisable to study for bsc in Naija and further in a better country outside?
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by Cerebellum: 8:33am On Jun 17, 2021
Bighead95:

Then why wasting 4years in the university when anybody can be a biz man/woman so far you have your capital....

Anyways I dey talk about graduates that will get job easily without or low connections

Listen, what I mean by the "business" is the courses that are concentrated more on solving economic problems like economics, business admin, marketing, accounting are more best studied than studying one engineering.

Don't get me wrong, engineering is vast but business courses are far far better.
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by OcholaKings: 10:04am On Jun 17, 2021
Realtosin:
I've seen hundreds of not thousand of Communication oriented vacancies this year..... Journalism course would ever be relevant and fetch you enough money.... If you are going for it, go digital.... It's not enough to just write for broadcast and print alone... Do yourself favour by learning something like blogging and other digital skills...... Thanks

Thanks, he told me he plan going into blogging and Youtube while in school

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by blazepascal(m): 10:44am On Jun 17, 2021
Go for it when there is life there is hope
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by Saintinoo(m): 12:04pm On Jun 17, 2021
wwwtortoise:

Upon graduation what are you going to communicate en mass?

This is what I’ll do if I were to be in such fix.

Take up the course since it requires minimal effort to make a 2.1 in such field. Channel your time and energy into learning IT skills online - coding, web dev., data science, . . .

Nigeria of today is no longer by what you read in school.

It’s either who you know or what you can do.
No course require little effort to make a 2:1, in the school i graduated from, Political science dept that is seen as being cheap graduated lesser students with little very little 2:1.
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by Ajibade123(m): 12:06pm On Jun 17, 2021
OcholaKings:
my friend who has just been offered admission to study mass com is kinda scared whether to accept it or rewrite another jamb considering the nigerian job market after graduation.

I already told him to further abroad after graduation..

Mass com graduates in the house, how has the experience been for you since graduation, is it advisable to study for bsc in Naija and further in a better country outside?
so if he takes another JAMB what better course is he planning to choose
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jun 17, 2021
Do we have journalists again, when there are bloggers every where?

He should learn carpentary of mechanic.

Why do you have to spend 4 years in a university just to learn how to spread fake news.?
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by OcholaKings: 1:20pm On Jun 17, 2021
quentin06:
Do we have journalists again, when there are bloggers every where?

He should learn carpentary of mechanic.

Why do you have to spend 4 years in a university just to learn how to spread fake news.?

I appreciate your opinion..
Buh please who limited Mass Communication to Journalism alone..
From Info gathered here, there are many career prospectives in mass com ranging from Journalism, Marketing, PR, Acting etc.
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by richboy01(m): 2:33pm On Jun 17, 2021
Baba forget school and start looking for how to get daily income.Thats what University graduates are doing now... looking fir daily income.jobs scarce
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by larabae(f): 12:08am On Jun 18, 2021
People get it wrong though,journalism is not the only option when u study mass comm ,You can work In an organization as a PR officer,advertising agency,even a lecturer
Re: Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? by tiaraLOVE(f): 6:10am On Jan 22, 2022
moderatorr:
Lol, have you ever seen a job recruitment for mass communication?

Ignorance.

There are a lot of job opportunities for people with a background in Communications.

Public Relations
Editors
Journalism
Brand Communications
Organizational Communications
Marketing communications

A lot of social media managers have a background in Communications and work there was into being communication managers in different industries.

Let's be guided.

Rather not speak. Than speak in Ignorance

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Was Your Childhood Ambition And Which Work Are You Doing Now? (Pic) / Should Relatives, Friends Know The Exact Amount You Earn / What Certifications Should I Enrol For As A Fresh Chemical Engineering Grad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.