Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,768 members, 7,875,930 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:39 AM

It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media (1019 Views)

Obasanjo: Nigerian Youths Must Oppose Those Messing Up Their Future / Aisha Buhari Disagrees With Sultan, Insists On Social Media Regulation / League Of Concerned Democratic Youths Of Nigeria Pledges Support For Davido (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by oshozondii: 7:07pm On Jun 18, 2021
David Oyedepo, presiding bishop of Living Faith Church Worldwide, says unlimited access to social media platforms is robbing youths of their future.

Speaking on Friday at the seventh convocation of Landmark University, Omu-Aran, Kwara state, Oyedepo called for urgent steps to check unrestricted access to social media.

The popular cleric, who is also the chancellor of the institution, lamented that many young people spend most of their time chatting, with lesser time to engage in productive tasks.

“It unconsciously robs people of their future by robbing them of their time — no time to think; no time to plan; no time to programme,” Oyedepo said.

“This generation may lose her heroes to social media disaster. Here is one creeping serpent that is eating up the destinies of many individuals.

“We must wake up from our slumber to deal with this monster. Young people, beware! Addiction to social media is like addiction to drugs. It can render a whole destiny useless.

“This social media saga has eroded the substance of destiny of most youths today. What is supposed to be a plus has suddenly become a major minus, because everything of value delivers through investment of time.

“Suddenly, we are faced with a generation on the wrong side of history; the honour of this generation has been wiped off — chatting all day with no time left to think, plan, programme and engage productively in the pursuit of any task.

“Many youths spend less than 10 to 20 percent of their time on their tasks per day. They can never match a generation that spends 70 percent to 80 percent of their time on their tasks.

“We must devise means to put a check on free access to social media, particularly those that are not adding values. Life is a race. Everyone should get on the track, ready for the run of their lives.”

In 2019, the preacher had said it was archaic to attempt regulating social media.

However, in May, Oyedepo said the excessive use of social media has made many lose focus and rob them of their destiny.

On Wednesday, the federal government asked the house of representatives to enact a law to regulate social media in the country.

The decision came less than two weeks after Lai Mohammed, minister of information, announced the suspension of Twitter’s operations in Nigeria.
https://www.thecable.ng/its-robbing-youths-of-their-future-oyedepo-backs-regulation-of-social-media/amp

1 Like

Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by ivolt: 7:10pm On Jun 18, 2021
grin grin
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by tydi(m): 7:11pm On Jun 18, 2021
grin

But through same media you request for your tithes and offerings
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by Lamasta(m): 7:13pm On Jun 18, 2021
“Many youths spend less than 10 to 20 percent of their time on their tasks per day. They can never match a generation that spends 70 percent to 80 percent of their time on their tasks.

To some extent baba is right

“We must devise means to put a check on free access to social media, particularly those that are not adding values.”

Spot on cool

1 Like

Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by Upworkwriter007(f): 7:14pm On Jun 18, 2021
See how bloggers dey twist words. Oyedepo dey talk about checking social media addiction not Twitter ban

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by OnionBandit(f): 7:16pm On Jun 18, 2021
Sincerely speaking, it's the way to go
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by Honesty111: 7:19pm On Jun 18, 2021
Ok
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by tamonokare: 7:19pm On Jun 18, 2021
Pulpit bandit. It is tithe and offering collecting business that needs to be regulated in this country because every Dick and Tom now is working for God by collecting tithe and offering which they'll use to buy private jets and exotic cars, and build expensive schools and hospitals that the poor cannot access.

Instead of making that Landmark university
accessible to the poor people that paid the tithe and offering that was used to build the school you're there saying rubbish.

1 Like

Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by matify83: 7:20pm On Jun 18, 2021
Self regulation should be the key word here and not governmental barricade.

Fire is hazardous as a master but gentle and useful when tamed. Same with the internet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by Maxymilliano(m): 7:22pm On Jun 18, 2021
Oyedepo is right to some extent but the regulation it requires is not a clampdown or censored as proferred by Lie Muhammed and his Oga in Aso Rock.

What Oyedepo is advocating is regulations on spending unproductive hours on social media, not censor of free speech the Buhari led government is pushing
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by FakeUnity: 7:22pm On Jun 18, 2021
Lie mohammed the goebellian nincompoop will grab this point and blow it out of proportion tommorow on NTA. grin
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by Upworkwriter007(f): 7:26pm On Jun 18, 2021
tamonokare:
Pulpit bandit. Instead of making that school accessible to the poor that paid the tithe and offering that was used to build the school you're there saying rubbish.
He's talking about Addiction. You just dey find reason to abuse the man
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by tamonokare: 7:27pm On Jun 18, 2021
Upworkwriter007:
He's talking about Addiction. You just dey find reason to abuse the man

Which stupid addiction. Is he not addicted to stealing from the gullible in the name of tithe and offering ?
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by FakeUnity: 7:28pm On Jun 18, 2021
matify83:
Self regulation should be the key word here and not governmental barricade.

Fire is hazardous as a master but gentle and useful when tamed. Same with the internet.

If nigeria is a productive country, it's youth will be engaged and have less time for social media addiction.

Social media is not regulated in Finland, Norway and Scandinavian countries (who have the highest literacy rates in the world) yet they are the least addicted to social media. The survey was once published here on NL.

Instead of giving jobless youths like rissimenky, onionbandit, cilicmarin richmond500 stipends to buy data to go fight opposition online, why create farmfields and force these jobless ones to go there and work.
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by Vaughanlanrewaj: 7:32pm On Jun 18, 2021
His view on the deleterious effects of the SM has always been in the public domain and I applaud his frank and sincere concern. Before the advent of the SM, a young lad will never wake up one day and start calling someone old enough to be his grandparents a nincompop . Obviously, there's already a curse on such one.

I am particularly worried about reckless impatience, rude and shallow comments, too much abbreviations plus wrong spellings linked to frequent use of SM that is killing the future of our youths . No society should sit by and watch the present and future of its youth destroyed. Something needs to be done.
I am less inclined to oppose his views if these problems keep limiting the progress of our youths into productive and responsible citizens.visit www.freestuffsng.com for latest freestuffs in Nigeria. God bless Nigeria.
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by Agbegbaorogboye: 7:39pm On Jun 18, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:
His view on the deleterious effects of the SM has always been in the public domain and I applaud his frank and sincere concern. Before the advent of the SM, a young lad will never wake up one day and start calling someone old enough to be his grandparents a nincompop . I am particularly worried about reckless impatience, rude and shallow comments and too much abbreviations plus wrong spellings linked to frequent use of SM. I am less inclined to oppose his views if these problems keep limiting the progress of our youths into productive and responsible citizens.

Yet you all called Jonathan clueless grin cheesy

It gets funny when YOU are complaining of wrong spelling grin grin

It tickles the tummy when you advertise your free stuffs website cheesy cheesy grin
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by Vaughanlanrewaj: 7:42pm On Jun 18, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

It tickles the tummy when you advertise your free stuffs website cheesy cheesy grin

You need to go through my comments again. I don't use uncouth words. They are not in my vocabulary and I wasn't raised to insult anyone let alone leaders. You can criticise their policies and give credible alternatives .My forte is in frank, civil and intelligent exchanges. I don't come online to play sir and sincerely , I can't help it sir.visit www.freestuffsng.com for latest freestuffs in Nigeria. God bless Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by richmond500: 7:42pm On Jun 18, 2021
tamonokare:

Which stupid addiction. Is he not addicted to stealing from the gullible in the name of tithe and offering ?
His message is not for people like u, its too big for u.

All u understand is insults and more insults.
If he had said "Nigerian youths are lazy," u would have understood his point.
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by Vaughanlanrewaj: 7:44pm On Jun 18, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

You need to go through ALL my comments again. I will even struggle to address HE GEJ as Jonathan because he deserves the respect in his capacity as a former President. So addressing him by his First name the way you do so easily is strange to me. I don't use uncouth words or abbreviations of words spellings. They are not in my vocabulary . My forte is in civil and intelligent exchanges. You are right about FreeStuffsNG, I don't come online to play sir. So much work to do in this country and no little constructive effort is unworthy. In my books, if you are not building, you are destroying.visit www.freestuffsng.com for latest freestuffs in Nigeria. God bless Nigeria.
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by DelTel(m): 8:15pm On Jun 18, 2021
Life is Gucci o.

An enemy of my enemy is my friend.

1 Like

Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by AntiBMC(m): 8:20pm On Jun 18, 2021
Hmm... political pastor trying to please Bubu, in order to avoid the CAMA bill grin

That one go affect church income nd private jets..
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by Agbegbaorogboye: 8:27pm On Jun 18, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:

You need to go through my comments again. I don't use uncouth words. They are not in my vocabulary and I wasn't raised to insult anyone let alone leaders. You can criticise their policies and give credible alternatives .My forte is in frank, civil and intelligent exchanges. Read asslicking. I don't come online to play sir and sincerely , I can't help it sir.visit www.freestuffsng.com for latest freestuffs in Nigeria. God bless Nigeria.
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by Kaiser20: 8:36pm On Jun 18, 2021
tamonokare:

Suddenly you become activist, spokesperson & freedom fighter for tithe payers
Re: It’s Robbing Youths Of Their Future’ — Oyedepo Backs Regulation Of Social Media by tamonokare: 9:18pm On Jun 18, 2021
richmond500:
His message is not for people like u, its too big for u.

All u understand is insults and more insults.
If he had said "Nigerian youths are lazy," u would have understood his point.

You're very correct, his message is not for people like me. How will i be so foolish as to give my money to one crook and believe i have given my money to God simply because the crook claimes to be working for God .

(1) (Reply)

Zamfara: Gov Mattawalle Dumps PDP For APC / I’m In Benin Republic In Solidarity With Lgboho, Not On The Run — Akintoye / [BREAKING]Ikoyi Building Collapse: Sanwo-olu Suspends Lagos Building Agency Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.