Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,869 members, 7,933,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 10:47 PM

OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Change Of Currency From Pounds To Naira - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Change Of Currency From Pounds To Naira (420 Views)

Don’t Let Them Lie To You About Change Of Currency, Tinubu Blows Hot (Video) / OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Abandoned Property Of The Igbos / Osoba Donated 5,000 Pounds To Maryam Abacha - Olawale Oshun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Change Of Currency From Pounds To Naira by IjapaTiroko: 4:37pm On Jun 23, 2021
The following are the continuation of excerpts/minutes of a Chief Obafemi Awolowo interview. What he said on Civil War, Twenty Pounds Policy, Starvation Policy are on my previous threads. I'll post a link to the video when i find it

CHANGE OF CURRENCY

And it is on record that Ojukwu admitted that two things defeated him in this war, that’s as at the day he left Biafra. He said one, the change of currency, he said that was the first thing that defeated him, and we did that to prevent Ojukwu taking the money which his soldiers has stolen from our Central bank for sale abroad to buy arms. We discovered he looted our Central bank in Benin, he looted the one in Port Harcourt, looted the one in Calabar and he was taking the currency notes abroad to sell to earn foreign exchange to buy arms.
So I decided to change the currency, and for your benefit, it can now be told the whole world, only Gowon knew the day before, the day before the change took place. I decided, only three of us knew before then- Isong now governor of Cross River, Attah and myself. It was a closely guarded secret, if any commissioner at the time say that he knew about it, he’s only boosting his own ego. Because once you tell someone, he’ll tell another person. So we refused to tell them and we changed the currency notes. So Ojukwu said the change in currency defeated him, and starvation of his soldiers also defeated him.
These were the two things that defeated Ojukwu. And, he reminds me, when you saw Ojukwu’s picture after the war, did he look like someone who’s not well fed? But he has been taking the food which we send to civilians, and so we stopped the food.

What Chief Obáfémi Awólówò said about Igbos and the Abandoned Property Policy After The Civil War
https://www.nairaland.com/6617746/obafemi-awolowo-interview-abandoned-property
Re: OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Change Of Currency From Pounds To Naira by PrincessGlow: 4:45pm On Jun 23, 2021
Here's the source below

1 Like

Re: OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Change Of Currency From Pounds To Naira by oyin44: 5:03pm On Jun 23, 2021
grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

FG Commissions 46 Independent Monitors In Ebonyi State / Nnamdi Kanu : Kenya Police Nearly Killed Me With Beating / Biafra: Open Letter To Alphonsus Uche Okafor-mefor(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.