Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,621 members, 7,918,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:26 PM

Pls Can 1 Use This Oil - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Pls Can 1 Use This Oil (2971 Views)

Can 1.5m Fly A Toyota Highlander 2003 Tokunbo (leather Seat) / Suzuki Jeep 2003, Direct Tokunbo, Tin Can 1.3m / Can #1.6mill Get Me An Audi A6 2004 Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Can 1 Use This Oil by CLASSMAN: 11:19am On May 07, 2011
PLS I AM HAVING ISSUES WITH MY GEAR IT SUDDENLY STOPPED WORKING AND I VE SCANED AND THE RESULT CAME OUT WITH OIL SENSOR ERROR, BUT THE MAIN THING HERE IS MR MECH SAID WE SHOULD TRY CHANGING THE GEAR OIL AND SEE THE REACTION BUT TO MY UTMOST SURPRISE HE BROUGHT VISCO 2000 OIL PLS CAN 1 USE SUCH OIL I TAUGHT VISCO 2000 IS ENGINE OIL NOT AN ATF
Re: Pls Can 1 Use This Oil by cretin: 11:36am On May 07, 2011
ok, same thing happened to some one i know. a rav 4, the mechanic also said wanted to use visco 2000 as a replacement for the atf/automatic transmission fluid.
pls note both are not the same thing.atf is lighter than visco 2000.
i believe visco 2000 will damage ur car after a while.
btw, wat type of car do u drive?,
Re: Pls Can 1 Use This Oil by CLASSMAN: 11:40am On May 07, 2011
ford taurus 2000 model. pls which is d best atf that 1 can use cause am planing on replacing the gear but but i need the best atf oil to use
Re: Pls Can 1 Use This Oil by cretin: 12:01pm On May 07, 2011
is ur car manual or auto?

most auto use atf, while manuals use gear oil.

atf is light red in color, n light ly viscous unlike gear oil which is thicker.

u cud contact siena, search 4 him on nairaland, he cud give u more help, he is abt the most knowledgeable nl on cars i hv come across
Re: Pls Can 1 Use This Oil by sultaan(m): 12:11pm On May 07, 2011
First change mechanic, you already know better about cars than he does.

Post the code your mechanic said he got/ get another scan and search online.

Check your fluid level.

Problem might be a sensor, or fluid ran low.

Most Fords use Mercon(now mercon v).

Which of these is the code
http://www.aa1car.com/trouble-codes/ford_codes_p1700-p1999.htm

Transmission/torque converter might have gone out
Re: Pls Can 1 Use This Oil by CLASSMAN: 12:29pm On May 07, 2011
its auto , thanks all i will get the code and post them
Re: Pls Can 1 Use This Oil by donchisel: 9:35pm On May 07, 2011
Please change mechanic.
For Ford taurus, a good replacement oil would be dextron 3 ATF (ie if need be)
Re: Pls Can 1 Use This Oil by sultaan(m): 8:26am On May 08, 2011
donchisel:

Please change mechanic.
For Ford taurus, a good replacement oil would be dextron 3 ATF (ie if need be)

Wrong answer. You should not guess when giving advice unless stated.
Ford and GM developed ATF for there cars last century, sell license to oil companies.
I found out Valvoline maxlife meets a lot of specs. Base oils are usually same, its the modifier/additive that differs.
A manufacturer might recommend their oil as best option,and NOT only option(otherwise free by law if its only option)

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312:

Section 2302

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if -

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.

Ford ->Mercon
GM-> Dextron
Honda->ATF-Z1
Toyota(older)-> Dextron
Nissan-> Matic J,S,M

Apart from Mercon others are variation of dextron(Ithink)
Re: Pls Can 1 Use This Oil by Trac: 7:46pm On May 09, 2011
The answer to your question is "No."

On a brighter note, you shouldn't be listening to professional that can't differentiate between fluids meant for the transmission as oppose to the crankcase.  All he has told you should be null and void.  The problem(s) still persist, however.

Find somebody else and get a logical conclusion to what is going on.  At this point, you don't know what's going on and nobody can help you till you can come up with a diagnoses that makes sense.

@Cretin

You are wrong.  The inherent properties of both fluids differ right from the sheet of paper to the final compositions.  The factors that differentiate them are fundamentally different.  It is not lightness or thickness that make them differ.  Engine oil weight is measured at 100 degC and not when you are pouring it out of the bottle.  Wear characteristics are measured also at 0, 40 and 100 degC.
Re: Pls Can 1 Use This Oil by oluwabamis(m): 8:45pm On May 09, 2011
poster, always tune to radio continental fm102.3 there is a program from 8.30 to 9 am -auto medics is the program very educative, you can even ask your question.

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo Toyota Camry 2005 For 1.2m@ebony Auto 08082158114 / 4sale: A Nissan Urvan 2003, You'll Regret Missing / Very Clean Silver Peugeot 306 For N650k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.