Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,654 members, 7,878,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 09:27 AM

Basic Advice For Job Seekers - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Basic Advice For Job Seekers (6134 Views)

Advice For Job Seekers Based On Experience / Professional CV and Cover Letter Templates For Job Seekers / Woman With Placard Searching For Job For Her Husband In Lagos (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Basic Advice For Job Seekers by Cvclue11(m): 3:07pm On Jun 25, 2021
It's easier said than done to find work. Even if you submit a good résumé, create a smart cover letter, and prepare for an interview, you may still not get hired. While every job search is unique, it might be helpful to hear from those who are in or have been in your shoes. Experts and former job searchers provide their greatest tips for obtaining your dream job in this article:
It is said that practice makes perfect.

"In a job interview, be very careful how you respond to queries. You should always be truthful, although most websites recommend that you practice your replies. Prior to my first interview, I neglected to do this, and when asked what job I was most proud of, I really said, "Being a mother." While this is correct, it was not the finest response I could have provided, and it was certainly not the one the interviewer was hoping for. Prepare for the interview by researching the companies you'll be meeting with and anticipating the types of questions they'll ask. Come up with responses that are both genuine and remarkable."

"Don't get depressed by bad news."
"Don't believe everything you hear on the news about doom and gloom. Even in a depressed economy, people are gaining work and businesses are prospering. This is something I've learned as a business owner whose biggest problem in the last year has been getting good staff. It's also something I've noticed with other local business owners trying to employ. I feel that individuals assume there are no jobs because of all the negative media coverage of job data, so they believe it and give up, whilst others go for it and find fantastic work regardless of economic indicators."

Find out what makes you happy
"You will not stand out enough if you do not focus your job hunt on something you are enthusiastic about. In order to get noticed, your networking, résumé, and interviews must all have a spark, especially in this tough economy. The good news is that now is a fantastic opportunity to find out what you enjoy doing and then match that to a job. It is both possible and necessary."

Demonstrate how you add value.
"Decide how much value you can add. Your credentials and experience are admirable, but they are secondary. I'm delighted you believe you're amazing, but it doesn't matter to me. Please persuade me that my future is brighter with you than it is without you. That's where it's at: value,. Make it apparent through your résumé, cover letter, and interview what value you give.

Make a statement in the crowd
"Each candidate is on time, responsible, and gets along with others. Highlight unique aspects of your personal brand to prevent blending in with the herd. For example, one candidate claimed an educational experience as a round-the-world vacation she took in college. We had to hear the story after reading it, so she received an interview and subsequently a job. The cover letter should not be overlooked or skimmed over. This is your chance to build a personal connection and impact. The cover letter gives a hiring agent insight into your personality, whereas the résumé is merely a list of facts about you. We don't hire resumes; we recruit people.

2 Likes

Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by itoski(m): 4:59pm On Jun 25, 2021
Believe in yourself and there will come a day when others will have no choice but to believe with you. ~ Oscar Wilde

4 Likes

Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by Legendguy(m): 5:00pm On Jun 25, 2021
Hmm
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by olioxx(m): 5:00pm On Jun 25, 2021
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by sammyscholar(m): 5:00pm On Jun 25, 2021
I pray that the grace of God finds all those seeking job! Just continue to prepare and do your best. After that, leave the rest to God!

1 Like

Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by treasurenat(m): 5:00pm On Jun 25, 2021
Yes.first to comment among top since 2014

1 Like

Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by Premiumwriter: 5:01pm On Jun 25, 2021
Startups are the rave of the moment.

But What are you 'starting up'? You don't need to learn how to code from scratch to build a tech startup.

And it won't cost you a fortune either to start.

What you need is your imagination and determination. Yes, you need to be determined to succeed.

You can build a startup just like twitter with zero (yes zero) coding skills.

See it live here: https://www.nairaland.com/6620607/no-code-build-startup-platform
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by Gaddafi1: 5:01pm On Jun 25, 2021
I keep on wondering why young talented Nigerians still believe that seeking for a job is a gateway to a bright future. We need to understand that the country is on auto pilot and the leaders are not providing opportunities for them.
The best thing that can happen to a young person is to consider goods and services to provide for others and then be an entrepreneur making good money for themselves. I come in peace.

After my graduation, my grandfather said that Nigeria cannot do much for me, years after I still cherish the advise
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by blessochampion(m): 5:01pm On Jun 25, 2021
Gh
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by Felixalex(m): 5:01pm On Jun 25, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by FatherChrismas: 5:01pm On Jun 25, 2021
treasurenat:

Sorry sir grin you are not even among the first 5 to comment
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by Ewizard(m): 5:01pm On Jun 25, 2021
Another copy and paste content.

Anyway, why would anyone waste their time building another man's empire for a penny when they can build theirs?? undecided
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by Chicastle: 5:01pm On Jun 25, 2021
They should invite me first then we take it from there
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by samuel19222(m): 5:02pm On Jun 25, 2021
SELF EMPLOYED IS THE WAY TO GO

1 Like

Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by SoftP(m): 5:02pm On Jun 25, 2021
I wish y’all the best of luck @ job seekers’

But sincerely, there’s nothing like being self employed, starting up business.
It pays than being a slave to one damn Master

1 Like

Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by Emeka71(m): 5:02pm On Jun 25, 2021
Nice information.
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by shawante(m): 5:02pm On Jun 25, 2021
Who go get job go get job.. All these ones na story

2 Likes

Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by Executiv(m): 5:03pm On Jun 25, 2021
All these advice are useless without connections

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by GRAMMARJAMES(m): 5:03pm On Jun 25, 2021
first to commenet. e nor concern me joor
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by chymes0359(m): 5:04pm On Jun 25, 2021
MeghaneMorgane:
You mustn’t give up. That is all I can say.

Am just tired my dear..
Sometimes it looks like i dont know what am doing..

shawante:
Who go get job go get job.. All these ones na story

Base on connecting us to who connect you.

Am sick of people telling me to work harder, without connecting me to who connect him.
I have been working hard long enough from Uni,
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by falseprophet: 5:04pm On Jun 25, 2021
angry
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by BigDawsNet: 5:04pm On Jun 25, 2021
grin After interview, "we will get back to you" is a scam...don't depend on it...

If they really wanna keep you.. they will show more interest in your CV and you... and probably give you a clear hint on your proposed working department

grin Do not apply for the job you not qualified

You have little idea on HTML and you are applying for jobs that requires strong skills on C++ all because they need C/S graduate...

wink Print out a hard copies of your CV and visit some companies in your city... submit one on one

cool As a Computer Scientist, I will advice any young graduate in C/s to get as many certification in IT...even before you start sending out CVs...get an IT skills ...we have 100 of them online....

cheesy Experience is important...just like some consulate...they really want you to explore other countries before they consider you a visa ....

In all, with God all things are possible...

Goodluck guys

2 Likes

Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by The5DME(m): 5:04pm On Jun 25, 2021
Acquire skills that are in demand right now. That's all I have to say.
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by oluwaseyi0: 5:05pm On Jun 25, 2021
treasurenat:
You are not in top 6 sir, you even luckily make the first page
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by MeghaneMorgane(f): 5:06pm On Jun 25, 2021
You mustn’t give up. That is all I can say.
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by bigdammyj: 5:06pm On Jun 25, 2021
Noted;

With thanks
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by faithfull18(f): 5:07pm On Jun 25, 2021
Finding work is work just like reading this article.
Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by FreeSpirited: 5:08pm On Jun 25, 2021
In this life, it's like there's no rest for job seekers.
From one wahala to Another.....let him get the job...and u see him heave a sigh of relief..
This life na scam..cos of job..person go go through hell. Why? Even when u are ready and qualified..u no go see the job...
This world is to me not designed with equity or fairness. Many people just come here com suffer..
That's why There's no rest for job seekers.

1 Like

Re: Basic Advice For Job Seekers by flokii: 5:09pm On Jun 25, 2021
Learn a skill while you study..

If it's fashion design, plumbing, grilling, catering, events covering, photography etc. or languages, learn something you can fall back to.

For those already done with school, take up jobs no matter the salary, you can even volunteer to work without pay for the first 3 to 5 yrs for experience. While at it, you'll be applying for other opportunities. The idea is to not stay idle for long.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Absorb Npower 2016/2017 / Schlumberger Is Recruiting / How To Make A Living By Blogging + My earning screenshots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.