Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,880 members, 7,938,615 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 09:54 AM

Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? (6666 Views)

Girl In Abuja Cannot Locate Her Home & Parents(Pics) / Missing Little Girl In Cocain Village Port Harcourt / ‘she Denies Me Sex And My Doctor Says SEX Is Good For My High Blood Pressure’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by Pharoh: 12:53pm On May 09, 2011
babaearly:

see all them feminists!

The same females that will impose all these rules that they have been complaining about in this thread.

Atreides:

It's not whether i'm a girl or a boy-it's a function of the parents i have.

That is the truth and summary of your whole post but when you look at it in the general sense then males feel more pressure to excel education wise than females.

o-positive:

@mcnepow your statement is not a universal rule, therefore it is not a fact.as for educational pressure i face it and i think i will soon break from d pressure my parents ar puttin on me to get a 1st class.u ar also wrong dat a girl doesnt care about her grades cos i do.i set goals for the grades i want to get each semester.

The answer to your question lies in the conclusion of the poster above because what you just described is a function of your particular family and how they have modded you up.
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by akunta(f): 12:59pm On May 09, 2011
@op,
i guess its cos, we (girls) bear
the brunt of wateva goes wrng.
eg, wen a girl gets pregnant out of wedlock
it takes 2 to tango, but she bears the 'shame' alone
and dont 4get she gets 2 go the 9mnths alone
and life afta the 9mnths 2.
literally, her life as it is stops!
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by http(m): 1:05pm On May 09, 2011
akunta:

@op,
i guess its cos, we (girls) bear
the brunt of wateva goes wrng.
eg, wen a girl gets pregnant out of wedlock
it takes 2 to tango, but she bears the 'shame' alone
and dont 4get she gets 2 go the 9mnths alone
and life afta the 9mnths 2.
literally, her life as it is stops!

Gbam, no mind them.

@poster get pregnant and see ya lsef, shior
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by ak47mann(m): 1:29pm On May 09, 2011
Am in full support is time for women to exercise their rights.Revolution yes revolution is needed in west Africa angry angry i wish am the president of Nigeria/sierra Leon undecided undecided women will be running my government cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy if you wan burn outside carry on all the best multiply the world abeg tongue any man you see like am tell him to marry you if he refuse put him in jail angry angry i feel for women their is nothing like freedom and equal right the world will be a better place cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by http(m): 1:35pm On May 09, 2011
ak47mann:

Am in full support is time for women to exercise their rights.Revolution yes revolution is needed in west Africa angry angry i wish am the president of Nigeria/sierra Leon undecided undecided women will be running my government cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy if you wan burn outside carry on all the best multiply the world abeg tongue any man you see like am tell him to marry you if he refuse put him in jail angry angry i feel for women their is nothing like freedom and equal right the world will be a better place cheesy cheesy

u must be on some cheap crak grin
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by LordReed(m): 1:48pm On May 09, 2011
I don't understand what the fuss is about. As future mothers and incubators of life don't you know you are more fragile than men?

Face it ladies you may be equal but you are not the same as men. You can not do all that men do, you will not excel over men in certain areas because you were not built to.

You don't use a convertible to ferry gravel even though it is open.
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by http(m): 1:53pm On May 09, 2011
Lord_Reed:

I don't understand what the fuss is about. As future mothers and incubators of life don't you know you are more fragile than men?

Face it ladies you may be equal but you are not the same as men. You can not do all that men do, you will not excel over men in certain areas because you were not built to.

You don't use a convertible to ferry gravel even though it is open.

Chei, this ur analogy na one time kpoki grin grin grin

convertible indeed, let them equate plastic and rubber product forgeting say the former can break while the latter fix bend but not break grin grin grin
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by Shinatu: 1:54pm On May 09, 2011
Nekai:

I think it is ironic that the boy, who will become the head of a household someday, is sometimes allowed to be more irresponsible.

Because it is beleived  that the wife should tolerate all his shortcomings, it is the female child that should develop good characters in order not to be a failure in marriage.

Have you ever heard where a mother / father shouts on the son that a particular character he has will prevent him from getting a wife to marry or that it will make his wife to leave him (as the female child hears all the time)?
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by ypad: 2:07pm On May 09, 2011
Every girl is a potential mother, who is expected to give birth to a larger community through her offspring's. Thus, she needs to be guided aright and properly tune to the right channel so as to achieve this dream. Once there is any grievous mistake, it affect the mind set and causes psychological imbalance in the nearest feature.
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:07pm On May 09, 2011
there is confusion and misunderstanding of words meaning here

there is a difference between pressure and being over protective

most girls are over proctected but not pressured

guys are pressured to be the head of the house or family girls aint on the bases that she would be married and move away from home

some most girls are taking of over protectiveness and then take as being pressured
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by klear(f): 3:38pm On May 09, 2011
In my family every body has his/her own dished out n equal measure! one tin I luv abt my parents  kiss. My dad laid dwn d rules 4 every body, ( so d only pressure I felt was d fact dat I have 2 make a success outta my life which I dnt mind ) so if u spoil, na u wan spoil nt dat u didnt know wat goes down. Y make a different set of rules 4 d boys & girls? it sends a wrong signal 2 d children ( one tin most parents r fond of doing ) IMO if child brings disgrace 2 d parents who d heck cares if its a boy or a girl? disgrace is disgrace.

@Hotie, see it as a sign of dia luv ( If dey dnt, wld dey waste dia spit on lecturing u? ) & since u said u luv parties can u blame dem dat much? fear dey catch dem! grin. Take every correction wit luv & 4get abt ur brothers dat dnt receive much talks ( whether dey deserve it or nt ) at least wen u get married u will know hw 2 handle ur own children & nt make diff rules 4 d males & females n d family
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by swiftycool(m): 3:39pm On May 09, 2011
Have u ever considered the fact that apart from being a gem in yr folks eyes, they are also trying to prepare you as one for the perfect man.Yea it sounds chauvanistic but the truth is that at the end of it all you end up as a choice amongst many for the dream man who might reject you cos of some shortcomings in some areas. Yr parents want u to qualify 4 d best hence all those talks. As much as we hate to hear it women often end up as a choice and unfortunately arent in a position to outrightly choose men
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by dayokanu(m): 5:16pm On May 09, 2011
No pressure can be as much as the one on the male child.

A boy is expected to be the next person to carry the name of the family and thus he is expected to be responsible.

His education, his finances must be on point to represent the family well.

Most fathers have a template of what they want their male child to be like and they enforce it.

If a boy isnt doing well financially he is viewed as a failure while a girl even after secondary can marry a riuch man and she is sorted for life.
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by Atreides(f): 5:24pm On May 09, 2011
Lol who said anything bout feminism?

I'm not a feminist.
Men and women are not treated as equals. Should they be? That's a whole 'nother discussion. I suppose ideally,they should be,but the fact is-they're not. Generally,women are not the same as men physically,and we're definitely not treated the same way. If i like,i can bang my head against the wall,but it won't change anything,so why would i bang my head against the wall? I like my head the way it is grin grin

My point is,we are under more pressure than men in the family setting,and while more guys might be under more pressure than girls in some fields,some of us girls are under just as much pressure. Not just about morality or whatever,some of us(myself inclusive) are under educational pressure etc etc.
Again,i don't think it's whether i'm a boy or a girl-it's more like a function of the parents i have.
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by Nobody: 5:25pm On May 09, 2011
dayokanu:

No pressure can be as much as the one on the male child.

A boy is expected to be the next person to carry the name of the family and thus he is expected to be responsible.

His education, his finances must be on point to represent the family well.

Most fathers have a template of what they want their male child to be like and they enforce it.

If a boy isnt doing well financially he is viewed as a failure while a girl even after secondary can marry a riuch man and she is sorted for life.

I can't believe I actually do agree with you. There's pressure on girls?! Hell no! Boys from the day they are born are under a ridiculous amount of pressure. Al they'll hear is you are a man, you should do this, you should do that, yada yada yada
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by Nobody: 6:51pm On May 09, 2011
@ Atreides, it looks like all ur stand and qualm now is on sex and when it is done wrongly. Ur parents will never ask you to build a home in the village even with ur first class.If you like to get pregnant now, go ahead. And u won't when u realize your parents won't help u.That is the training.All u need is to wait and get pregnant when a man claims it.
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by Thirst4Lif: 7:09pm On May 09, 2011
Girls should be happy they have someone who cares enough about

them to monitor their actions and associates. There are a lot of

orphans in the world who would love to have the problems you

complain about. Wait until you're older and have children of your

own. See don't you do the same as your parents are now doing!
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by http(m): 7:51pm On May 09, 2011
Anywhere the pressure is coming from i don't care, but one thing is certain, when you became well off in life, you will be the first person to enjoy it.

As for me, i've never been pressurize cos there is nobody to exert that pressure, but now the pressure is from my WIFE, Yeeeeee! grin
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by Atreides(f): 7:55pm On May 09, 2011
Lol why would i get pregnant?
Am i mahdd?
My options if i got pregnant:
1-Decide to Get rid of it.
2-Deal with the emotional and psychological trauma of killing my flesh and blood
3-Die in the process.
Option 2:
1-Keep the baby.
2-Drop out of school
3-Watch my stomach swell to ten times it's normal size.
4-Split my pelvis during childbirth.
5-Go through labor and quench of pain.
6-Die during childbirth.
7-If i don't die,get a job to take care of my baby.

If by some miracle i was able to give birth successfully,
Do you have any idea what it means to bathe a baby,change it,feed it,clothe it,deal with it when it cries? I babysit a lot,so trust me,i have some idea of how much of a responsibilty kids are for two full grown adults,not to talk of a teenager doing it alone. And then think of long-term;paying house rent for it,school fees for it,hospital bills etc etc.
Let me be very honest with you-at this stage in my life i am very selfish. I'm most concerned with me. The first thing i think of is me,my life and my future. Do i have the emotional maturity to deal with aliving,breathing being that'll be totally dependent on me? Will i be able to handle putting the needs,wants and desires of my baby before my own? Honestly,i don't think so.

I repeat: Why would i get pregnant at all? Am i mahdd?

In my first post i said i had no beef with the whole if-you-get-pregnant-you're-on-your-own thing because it made sense to me. I'm not bothered by that in the least because i don't plan on getting pregnant anytime soon,so e no consain me.
I'm not concerned with the society in general's pressure when it comes to that.
My parents didn't need to drum that into my head because i've always been very conscious of my future and the way i want my life to go. That consciousness affects the decisions i make,whether my parents are there or not.

What does bug me is how overprotective parents can be of their daughters,even when they're not that overprotective of sons.
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by sizzlers(m): 8:24pm On May 09, 2011
i think women are more pressured, it can be argued beyoud any dought
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by femeluaka(m): 1:08am On May 10, 2011
c'mon we all have pressures and challenges at one stage or another,and we must have to deal with them.come to think of it evrything we (men) do is for the women.
hustle make money,na 4 dem,
buy motor,na 4 dem,
even build house 4 village.na 4 dem cos na dem dey celebrate am pass,
born pikin,na 4 dem cos mothering sunday is the 3rd celebrated ceremony in the church,
WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT!
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by dayokanu(m): 1:42am On May 10, 2011
naijababe:

I can't believe I actually do agree with you. There's pressure on girls?! Hell no! Boys from the day they are born are under a ridiculous amount of pressure. Al they'll hear is you are a man, you should do this, you should do that, yada yada yada

Abi oooo

A boy cant even cry or complain about anything he would hear. You are a man, you should be yada yada yada
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:22am On May 10, 2011
This is the first I'm hearing about girls being under a lot of pressure. I'm genuinely surprised. Usually it's guys complaining.
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by Egbagirl(f): 3:24am On May 10, 2011
I dont think girls are under pressure. I would say that they are only "over protected" and "restricted". I put these in quotation marks because at the end of the day, we realize that this over protectiveness and restriction was actually a good thing. Especially today when society is something else. I do not blame parents for guarding their daughters. Why shouldnt they? I think women are trying to do too much. All this talk about "we need to exercise our right". What right? Why are we trying to prove that we are equal to men or better than men? You play the "what a man can do, a woman can do (even better)" card. when trouble comes now, it's back to the "I'm a woman". smh

I think it's about time we embraced our roles as women, see and appreciate our worth. Until we realize our value, we will continue to live under the mentality that we are being oppressed and suppressed.

*not to say that women should be foolish and allow themselves to be abused. Knowing your value will determine whether or not you will be abused. We need to be real women not the Miss Independent feminist crap society is breeding nowadays. That stuff doesnt take us anywhere.
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by iice(f): 4:37am On May 10, 2011
In some places in the world, women have more pressure to be the one to finish school. To be the one to marry well and eventually provide for the 'extended' family. They practically get sold or bartered to the highest bidder. Especially if she is the first child.

Anyway, true some of us are more overprotected than pressured. I did get pressured to have good grades and for a time i was the breadwinner/handler/financial analyst. . .name it, i had to do it. Somehow my brothers got it easier but now na my turn to cruise grin
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by dayokanu(m): 6:18am On May 10, 2011
Egba girl:

I dont think girls are under pressure. I would say that they are only "over protected" and "restricted". I put these in quotation marks because at the end of the day, we realize that this over protectiveness and restriction was actually a good thing. Especially today when society is something else. I do not blame parents for guarding their daughters. Why shouldnt they? I think women are trying to do too much. All this talk about "we need to exercise our right". What right? Why are we trying to prove that we are equal to men or better than men? You play the "what a man can do, a woman can do (even better)" card. when trouble comes now, it's back to the "I'm a woman". smh

I think it's about time we embraced our roles as women, see and appreciate our worth. Until we realize our value, we will continue to live under the mentality that we are being oppressed and suppressed.

*not to say that women should be foolish and allow themselves to be abused. Knowing your value will determine whether or not you will be abused. We need to be real women not the Miss Independent feminist crap society is breeding nowadays. That stuff doesnt take us anywhere.

Excellent points.

Are you married? cos I for like make we fix our wedding date ASAp
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by Egbagirl(f): 6:30am On May 10, 2011
dayokanu:

Excellent points.

Are you married? cos I for like make we fix our wedding date ASAp

Hahahahahhahha dayokanu, Im not married o.
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by dayokanu(m): 7:15am On May 10, 2011
Me too I am not married o.

So its nice seeing a woman who doesnt buy into the feminist double speak of being equal to men when its convenient.

Oya lets start preparing the wedding. BTW whats your stats maybe a profile picture of you would be nice
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by prefers555: 8:19am On May 10, 2011
The man is under more presure than the lady. The guys brain is always ticking, thinking of how to get this and that. All the lady has to think about at a marriagable age is to get a nice well deserved husband who would definitely foot the bills or else he would be regarded as less of a man. Have u ever wondered why there are more males with mental sanity problem than the female. Simple, they are under both mental and emotional pressure.
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by otokx(m): 5:49pm On May 10, 2011
Pressure comes in different shapes and sizes and is for the different genders
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by Dynamite98: 7:11pm On May 10, 2011
BTW, the bible says that "he that finds a WIFE found a GOOD thing." It means a girl must posses some spectacular qualities to be called a WIFE. Those qualities are what parents try to ensure their girls posses because, they don't want you to be the reject of men. The bible didn't say she that finds a husband. These days, girls think they can behave anyhow by questioning men's authority, go any where they want, do whatever they want, talk anyhow, behave waywardly and expect to have a husband! No wonder we have so many single ladies.

Men are looking for wives to be the mother of their children, and not bosses! A woman's role in a marriage is unique and enormous. The smooth functionality of the home rests on the woman. If you are not properly brought up (what you call pressure), things will fall apart in the home. A parent's job is to train you, and yours is to perform!
Re: Why Are There So Much Pressure On Girl's In The Family? by tpia5: 9:18pm On May 10, 2011
prefers555

good write up.

males are under more mental and emotional pressure, than females.

often times the males themselves arent aware of the extent of it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Story for the gods.. / Is She Cheating Already? / I Don't Know The Right Time To Tell My Husband About My Genotype

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.