Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,407 members, 7,940,561 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 08:30 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story (8619 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie 'the Oba’s Words Matter' :: / Chimamanda Adichie: The Miraculous Deliverance Of Oga Jona / The Dangers Of A Single Story By Chiamanda Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by AjanleKoko: 3:56pm On May 09, 2011
Bawss1:

So far none of the predictions have come true, Ajanlekoko has attempted to change the course of destiny of a NL thread with his predictions cheesy

Ah, you figured out my intent wink
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by hackney(m): 4:07pm On May 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

The dudes from the Romance section will applaud her frontals.

sweet.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by EzeUche2(m): 4:13pm On May 09, 2011
What Ms. Chimamanda Adichie was discussing was true. There is a lot of danger in a single story. We as Nigerians are more prone to believing a single story. Maybe we need to get rid of these prejudices and focus on the individual. If we look at someone from the individual basis, we can get a better understanding of that person, instead of judging them by the group they are born into. I also liked how she stated that she refers to herself as an African, instead of being simply a Nigerian or an Igbo woman. This was a wonderful discussion.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by okunoba(m): 4:21pm On May 09, 2011
@beejaei, You and Ms Adichie are saying the same thing, always two sides to a coin. Danger of a single story, meaning just don`t tell or hear only one side of a story, we miss out on the whole when we do.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by tlops(m): 5:05pm On May 09, 2011
Good one Ajanlekoko, but u have also succeeded in changing the natural course of event, but somehow its been "derailed". so the last part of the prediction is very true.
beejaei:

Who are the NL intellectuals?

By the way, I disagree with Ms. Adichie. I believe that we have to tell all stories even the negative ones. We do not have an obligation to treat the positive stories as more important or more representative than the negative stories. If we are denying our problems, how do we solve them?

She meant the same as you, to "look" at the problem from all sides.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by dare2think: 5:32pm On May 09, 2011
Ivynwa:

Ivynwa rolled on her desk and laughed and laughed and laughed.
@Ajanlekoko
Old boy you too much o-o-o, thanks for giving me NL Laughter Number one of the day.

In my own opinion I will say that we humans are the ones that constrain ourselves to "the danger of believing a one-sided single story", it results from small mindedness and the inability to broaden the mind in thinking. Sometimes the environment contributes to it only on this condition: if you yourself that hears ideas from the people around you, believes it without questioning, researching or verifying it. Yet there is no denying the fact that some single stories have an atom of truth to it, we should only be careful not to generalize and conceptualize all people from a story.
As per the Tribalists of NL, I have learnt to avoid their sickening rantings and not bother with reading their posts. Some Africans that were affected by the slave trade (that is the descendants) are out there broken hearted that they do not know their origin or tribe and some of us(the tribalists) in Africa that should embrace ourselves in oneness are here castigating and pouting to ourselves like " tongue tongue tongue you are from so so tribe and your people ain't no where close or can't be measured to my people". Just the very way kids pout when they play. grin grin kiss kiss kiss. Isn't it ridiculous? One love people!

The religious section suffers from the bolded lines. I agree with you 100%. The environment plays a huge role in the level of Ignorance. If you surround yourself with zombies, its only a small amount of time before you start thinking like one.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by rhymz(m): 5:45pm On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

LOL embarassed

Hilarious Ajanlekoko

Jeez I was about to get the ball rolling for a thread derailment session until I saw that grin
loll. . . I guess you know you are guilty as charged.
You are in the intellectual group that will talk about the school she attended and compare it to the one you are currently attending. .hahahah. . .I must confess when I read that part, SAFEGO just instantly came to my mind. . .lol.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by denzel2009: 5:51pm On May 09, 2011
Are my eyes deceiving me? When did people start being courteous on NL? What's all the Ms Chimamanda, Ms Adichie about?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by rhymz(m): 6:11pm On May 09, 2011
Somebody made a point on another forum where this topic was being discussed and I want to relate it to my first post on this topic. The problem is not entirely listening to one side of a story or basing opinions or passing judgement on the premise of such, we have to consider that most times the side of the story that forms these one-sided opinions are usually the dominant story irrespective of the efficacy of the story. As long as that is the dominant part of the whole story of course people will naturally damn the other side that hardly gets mentioned or talked about. It is just like what we see and hear from world mainstream media like CNN, BBC, Aljazeera etc-whether their own side of the story is right or wrong, true or fictituos, one-sided or the whole story, one thing is certain, and it is the fact that the whims and caprices of the sources is what will form a majority of the people who look up to these sources for information. At this point, I wont be too fast to label anyone who falls in this category as petty, uneducated, unexposed or even uninformed; we have to also blame sources and their intents too cos even having the whole story is not enough as the source could as well spin the story depending on its intents.
I believe people with balanced views(which by the way are very few to come by) are those of us that make extra efforts to get these other side of a story and have the courage to question or scrutinize the intents of these sources before forming our opinions.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by SEFAGO(m): 6:17pm On May 09, 2011
rhymz:

loll. . . I guess you know you are guilty as charged.
You are in the intellectual group that will talk about the school she attended and compare it to the one you are currently attending. .hahahah. . .I must confess when I read that part, SAFEGO just instantly came to my mind. . .lol.

Rhymz, my guy wetin I do ya now?

I dont remember us fighting in the past grin, But if you wanna fight, I get time today oo angry

Nah, I dont usually do that though except when I encounter dolts. I like Chi Chi a lot, she is definitely one of the smartest people though not as smart as Achebe. Achebe is just pure genius. Me thinks he has a bit of Yoruba ancestry in him to be honest.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by namfav(m): 6:32pm On May 09, 2011
EzeUche_:

What Ms. Chimamanda Adichie was discussing was true. There is a lot of danger in a single story. We as Nigerians are more prone to believing a single story. Maybe we need to get rid of these prejudices and focus on the individual. If we look at someone from the individual basis, we can get a better understanding of that person, instead of judging them by the group they are born into. I also liked how she stated that she refers to herself as an African, instead of being simply a Nigerian or an Igbo woman. This was a wonderful discussion.
says the igwe of generalization
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by rhymz(m): 6:52pm On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

Rhymz, my guy wetin I do ya now?

I dont remember us fighting in the past grin, But if you wanna fight, I get time today oo angry

I like Chi Chi a lot, she is definitely one of the smartest people though not as smart as Achebe. Achebe is just pure genius. Me thinks he has a bit of Yoruba ancestry in him to be honest.

Hahahahahahah. . . I was hoping you would say, "I like Chi Chi a lot, she is definitely one of the smartest people though not as smart as ME". .
The las sentence is hilariously teasing, expect to hear from Ezeuche and co. .lol
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by EzeUche2(m): 6:57pm On May 09, 2011
namfav:

says the igwe of generalization

As an Igbo defender, nothing is sacred when it comes to assaults on the dignity of my people. You do the same thing if your people are attacked. However, when I encounter a person from another ethnicity, I do care what group they represent, I focus on their character. I do not think you are truly a bigot either, compared to others. In many ways, I see you as similar to me, what is something that I am willing to admit.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by EzeUche2(m): 7:00pm On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

I like Chi Chi a lot, she is definitely one of the smartest people though not as smart as Achebe. Achebe is just pure genius. Me thinks he has a bit of Yoruba ancestry in him to be honest.

rhymz:

The las sentence is hilariously teasing, expect to hear from Ezeuche and co. .lol

I almost fell for this bait that he left me. It was quite teasing to see this, but I managed to fight back the incredible urge to fire back at SEFAGO. At least SEFAGO understands the brilliance of both Chimamanda Adichie and Chinua Achebe. With time Adichie will find her place amongst the African literary giants before her. She is still quite young and has time on her side. Any man will by lucky to marry such an Igbo gem.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by SEFAGO(m): 7:03pm On May 09, 2011
rhymz:

Hahahahahahah. . . I was hoping you would say, "I like Chi Chi a lot, she is definitely one of the smartest people though not as smart as ME". .

I said that in my mind though. I just decided not to type it cool. But I do have my criticism of Chi Chi but it has nothing to do with smarter but more of a difference of opinions. Cannot remember what they were but I watched the video a long time ago.

Definitely smart, dont see any reason why I shoud compare myself to her. Thats low self-esteem man. I only hammer on emeagwali and God almight formula Professor.

I would marry her if not that she was significantly older than me, not my type- she does lack attack and behind (And you understand how much Yoruba men love big bakassi)

But as for Achebe. I have evidence that he might be part Yoruba. grin

Moreover, its a false presumption to argue that he is igbo based on the fact that he is smart and detribalized. More like a significant exception to a rule than the a generalization of the rule.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by chiogo(f): 7:30pm On May 09, 2011
Man, I love this woman!! So eloquently spoken and classy!!  cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by rhymz(m): 7:36pm On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

I said that in my mind though. I just decided not to type it  cool. But I do have my criticism of Chi Chi but it has nothing to do with smarter but more of a difference of opinions. Cannot remember what they were but I watched the video a long time ago.

Definitely smart, dont see any reason why I shoud compare myself to her. Thats low self-esteem man. I only hammer on emeagwali and God almight formula Professor.

I would marry her if not that she was significantly older than me, not my type- she does lack attack and behind (And you understand how much Yoruba men love big bakassi)

But as for Achebe. I have evidence that he might be part Yoruba.  grin

Moreover, its a false presumption to argue that he is igbo based on the fact that he is smart and detribalized. More like a significant exception to a rule than the a generalization of the rule.
. . . Tell me the truth, how many times have you unknowingly disgust the ladies with your cockiness? Dont lie, I can bet on it that you must have had some experiences talking so brashingly confident especially with the ladies. . .you are so annoyingly intelligent and cocky even when you dont try. . .lol
EzeUche_:

I almost fell for this bait that he left me. It was quite teasing to see this, but I managed to fight back the incredible urge to fire back at SEFAGO. At least SEFAGO understands the brilliance of both Chimamanda Adichie and Chinua Achebe. With time Adichie will find her place amongst the African literary giants before her. She is still quite young and has time on her side. Any man will by lucky to marry such an Igbo gem.
. . .hahahaha. . I bet you wont be holding back for long when SAFEGO starts inudating us with "facts" to prove his claims of Achibe having some Yoruba ancestry whether he wants to argue that based on the fact that only a yoruba man can be that smart or not is anybody's guess.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by SEFAGO(m): 7:58pm On May 09, 2011
. . . Tell me the truth, how many times have you unknowingly disgust the ladies with your cockiness? Dont lie, I can bet on it that you must have had some experiences talking so brashingly confident especially with the ladies. . .you are so annoyingly intelligent and cocky even when you dont try. . .lol

grin, None actually, I am as lovable as a teddy bear. Some  (of the many) quotes from the ladies:

" You are the nicest person I have met"

"You are so sweet and cute"

"You have the nicest soul in the world and very humble despite the fact that you are genius"

" Damn brother you are smart, are you yoruba?"

"Come and give me some kondo"

Its spelt inundating by the way. Just saying
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by Beaf: 9:04pm On May 09, 2011
vislabraye:

Can we really do without stereotype? I remembered when a Yoruba lady asked me where I'm from, I told her I'm Ijaw. She concluded I am a subset of Ibo. Sounds ridiculous. There are many Nigerians who feel the same way too. I just think it's illitracy.

It is. Encounters with such types can be quite a spirit shattering experience experience; you feel somehow dirtied by the experience.
It is so painful that such folk are all too common, some are illiterates, others are very highly educated and seemingly smart (like S**ago here), there are yet others with deep personality issues (s**amite).

The single story is always driven by one form of bigotry or the other, in certain cases, by psychological issues (attention seeking, esteem etc).
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 09, 2011
@ Ajanlekoko
My guy you just made me spill my drink.
I never thought I'd see the day folks on this forum would be so civil. We can actually live as one but pride and ego preceeds our judgement.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by okooyinbo(m): 11:29pm On May 09, 2011
link=topic=663029.msg8286159#msg8286159 date=1304952989:

I think the northerners are the worst victims of this single story issue. Remember "ADAMU"? and how every hausa man is an ADAMU or MUMU? I served in Cross river and met some Yoruba girls who were amazed that a "hausa" man was serving and also a christian, all attempts to let them know that I am Nupe, a christian and not hausa failed as they assumed everyone from the north has to be hausa and muslim. I was shocked at their knowledge of Nigerian geography.

Dusty, I think you met some Yoruba girls that lacked cultural cognition. Even the history of Oyo did eulogize the Nupe aka Tapa people. According to "itan", the mother of "Alaafin Shango" was a NUPE princess. And I am not from Kwara nor from Oyo or Oshun,  Although I must confess that education was still something when I went to school,
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by ektbear: 11:50pm On May 09, 2011
I see no frontals on this woman
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by thoth: 12:41am On May 10, 2011
I believe the intent of that presentation is not about tribalism but the true story of what went wrong in africa and Nigeria as an example of that, to those who has not have a glimpse of the TRUTH you will have a different more misdirected interpretation of what she is trying to push along, for those who has witnessed much of it and still believed in hope it will only make you more sad.
listen very well when she talks about the MILK ODYSSEY, how everyone once can afford milk and what was the state after, Imperialism in Nigeria will take everything from the masses till the point where the middle class no longer afford electricity. in a few years to come you will have a PRIVATISED NATION running on a PRIVATISED government .
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:44am On May 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

@OP,
This one is old.
Though I can immediately predict how this particular thread will play out:

- The Igbo chaps will claim her immediately, as proof of how intelligent the Igbos are, and how dumb the others, especially Yorubas, are.
- The Yorubas will bounce back by listing 10 other Yoruba chicks who also write, sing, or act, while immediately dismissing Chimamanda as a mere pop tart, plus also remind everybody how a Yoruba man is the only Nobel Laureate.
- The dudes from the Romance section will applaud her frontals.
- The conspiracy theorists will move the thread in the direction of how the white man has suppressed our great authors like Chimamanda.
- The NL intellectuals will start a debate regarding which school in the US she attended, and how well it compares to the one they currently attend, and throw in a lament of how Nigerian education has gone to the dogs. Plus an analysis of what her IQ is likely to be, whether or not she's a member of MENSA, and so on.
-Maybe Musiwa might throw in a map of her ancestral home, plus the waypoints to where she currently lives.

Nobody will bother to discuss the talk itself.

lol
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:45am On May 10, 2011
SEFAGO:

grin, None actually, I am as lovable as a teddy bear. Some  (of the many) quotes from the ladies:

" You are the nicest person I have met"

"You are so sweet and cute"

"You have the nicest soul in the world and very humble despite the fact that you are genius"

" Damn brother you are smart, are you yoruba?"

"Come and give me some kondo"

Its spelt inundating by the way. Just saying

lmao
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by chamber2(m): 4:15am On May 10, 2011

It is. Encounters with such types can be quite a spirit shattering experience experience; you feel somehow dirtied by the experience.
It is so painful that such folk are all too common, some are illiterates, others are very highly educated and seemingly smart (like S**ago here),
there are yet others with deep personality issues
(s**amite).

The single story is always driven by one form of bigotry or the other, in certain cases, by psychological issues (attention seeking, esteem etc).

You are very correct. I had an encounter with one recently.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by SEFAGO(m): 4:30am On May 10, 2011
^Who was that? LWKMD

Dont worry grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by AjanleKoko: 9:13am On May 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

I see no frontals on this woman

Really. She seems to have made an effort with her dress, to present something. Anyway, I'm not the best judge of these things grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by ak47mann(m): 11:17am On May 10, 2011
who talk say chiamanda no carry front and back angry angry angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oju-ore,ota, Ogun State -the Confluence Of Christianity, Islam & Pros-ti-tu-tion / We've Done Our Best On Flooding - FG Declares / Thugs Batter Photo Journalists In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.