Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,602 members, 7,878,730 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 04:37 AM

Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth (5391 Views)

This Is Where We Live In The Solar System (photo) / The World We Live In Is A Funny Place / Man Launches Himself In Self-made Rocket To Prove Flat Earth Theory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by YoungBlackRico(m): 2:20pm On Jul 03, 2021
esky158:
Just asking if we live on the earth how come we no the see other planet as they the move
you expect your eyes to see things millions of light years away? The only reason you can see the sun moon and stars is because of their lights.

2 Likes

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by YoungBlackRico(m): 2:23pm On Jul 03, 2021
Op we live on earth...if you did geography in high school you wouldn't have a problem with this.

1 Like

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by AndroBlaze: 2:54pm On Jul 03, 2021
SenatePresdo:

If you equate the Earth as Soil or ground alone, then what are we going to call the oceanic body? Are they not part of Earth?
Maybe we can call the oceanic body on Earth Jupiter cool .

Earth doesn't only mean "Soil" or "Land".

Out entire planet is called Earth. Both the hydrosphere, stratosphere, and lithosphere.

So our Earth doesn't begin from the ground or Land (lithosphere).

It begins from above 50km above the Earth's Surface (stratosphere).

Assuming you're visiting The Earth, let's say from Jupiter, it's not Until you reach the ground before you know you have arrived Earth, once you enter our Oribit, my bro you are on Earth.

So in that case, I think we live inside Earth. We would only say we live on Earth if we live on the Earths orbit.

I stand to be corrected.

Poor argument and the person you quoted was 100% on point.

English is not a natural science where you use scientific logic to win arguments....it is a language and culture just like Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa are.

What wins an argument about language most of the time is usually precedent and culture, and 90% of English arguments are settled that way.

The understanding of the term "earth" as soil came hundreds of years before scientist could prove to us that other planets existed. So the English were already saying "living on the Earth" way before they knew planets existed.

So this argument is first of all won by precedent and culture way before you start thinking logically...and even then the fact and logic that 99.99% of human beings actually live on land makes it illogical to say "I live inside Earth" unless you are having a chat with an Alien or a fish.

Also, to show you that precedent trumps it all... the English tend to say "life on Mars" instead of "life inside Mars".

Finally, can I ask, does your native language even recognise other planets? Or how would you translate I live inside Mars in your native language?

I am not insulting anyone here ooo, its just to make us think deep of how language came to be and what it actually represents.
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by AndroBlaze: 3:05pm On Jul 03, 2021
SenatePresdo:

If you equate the Earth as Soil or ground alone, then what are we going to call the oceanic body? Are they not part of Earth?

Out entire planet is called Earth. Both the hydrosphere, stratosphere, and lithosphere.

Assuming you're visiting The Earth, let's say from Jupiter, it's not Until you reach the ground before you know you have arrived Earth, once you enter our Oribit, my bro you are on Earth.

So in that case, I think we live inside Earth. We would only say we live on Earth if we live on the Earths orbit.

I stand to be corrected.

Funnily, just noticed you used the phrase "on Earth" yourself even without touching land cheesy

You see bro, it so natural to any English speaker...only people not familiar with English would use the term "live inside Earth".
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by 2rez: 3:07pm On Jul 03, 2021
Op, just say we dey inside life, period. In or on or ontop earth could be misleading.

Meanwhile, interestingly, eyedrop don dey for virrgins when...

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Spy360(m): 3:11pm On Jul 03, 2021
SenatePresdo:

I stand to be corrected.
The space above the earth's surface belongs to earth (because when earth moves it takes along with it it's atmosphere) but does not necessarily mean it's part of the planet earth.

Earth as seen from space is a blue ball, no one sees the atmosphere.
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Spy360(m): 3:16pm On Jul 03, 2021
esky158:
Just asking if we live on the earth how come we no the see other planet as they the move
You must be new to astronomy. I watch planets move almost every night (that's the only time you can see them as the solar rays won't be affecting your sight), they are a few million km away from us. What you can't see with naked eyes are other galaxies apart from the nearest, Andromeda which is very difficult.
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 03, 2021
Earth is not just the land we walk on. Earth includes our atmosphere. So if you are living on the land and the atmosphere is above your head, you are living within Earth.

Earth has four substrate components of Solid Earth, Liquid Water, Gaseous Atmosphere and Plasma Fire.

Therefore, you are living on land in Earth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by SenatePresdo(m): 3:26pm On Jul 03, 2021
AndroBlaze:

Poor argument and the person you quoted was 100% on point.

English is not a natural science where you use scientific logic to win arguments....it is a language and culture just like Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa are.

What wins an argument about language most of the time is usually precedent and culture, and 90% of English arguments are settled that way.

The understanding of the term "earth" as soil came hundreds of years before scientist could prove to us that other planets existed. So the English were already saying "living on the Earth" way before they knew planets existed.

So this argument is first of all won by precedent and culture way before you start thinking logically...and even then the fact and logic that 99.99% of human beings actually live on land makes it illogical to say "I live inside Earth" unless you are having a chat with an Alien or a fish.

Also, to show you that precedent trumps it all... the English tend to say "life on Mars" instead of "life inside Mars".

Finally, can I ask, does your native language even recognise other planets? Or how would you translate I live inside Mars in your native language?

I am not insulting anyone here ooo, it just to make us think deep of how language came to be and what it actually represents.

This your stance is just an Argumentum ad populum, It lacks substance.

I'm not here to win argument, but just to let us understand the structure of our planet Earth.

Living on Earth is correct.
Living inside Earth is also correct.

We are living on land, which is Earth. So we can say we live on Earth.

But talking from a universal point of view, humans actually lives inside Earth.

Language is just culture, it doesn't change scientific facts.
I was talking from a scientific point of view, and not a cultural point of view.

Culture and language can differ from people to people.

Like in Igbo language, Uwa anyi no na-ime ya, anyi ga ahapu ya, ma anyi agaghi ahapu Jesus, Jesus but nke'm

It means the The Earth we live inside (not on Earth), that we are going to leave it, but we aren't going to leave Jesus, that Jesus is ours. It's a popular igbo gospel song.

I think I have answered your question.

If I may ask you mine, are flying Air planes on Earth, in Earth or outside Earth? grin where would you say they are? They are around Venus? grin

No mind me oh.. but I will appreciate your answer.
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by milky3(f): 3:52pm On Jul 03, 2021
illicit:
We live in planet Earth

We live on Earth but currently we live in a sophisticated ZOO ruled by a tyrant KING ☹️

Depends on context
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by SenatePresdo(m): 4:05pm On Jul 03, 2021
Spy360:

The space above the earth's surface belongs to earth (because when earth moves it takes along with it it's atmosphere) but does not necessarily mean it's part of the planet earth.

Earth as seen from space is a blue ball, no one sees the atmosphere.

So, where are we going to say flying Airplanes are? Outside Earth?

1 Like

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by SenatePresdo(m): 4:13pm On Jul 03, 2021
AndroBlaze:

Funnily, just noticed you used the phrase "on Earth" yourself even without touching land cheesy

You see bro, it so natural to any English speaker...only people not familiar with English would use the term "live inside Earth".

O boy, e be things grin grin
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by ukaface(f): 4:35pm On Jul 03, 2021
It is under earth
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by AndroBlaze: 7:11pm On Jul 03, 2021
SenatePresdo:

This your stance is just an Argumentum ad populum, It lacks substance.

I'm not here to win argument, but just to let us understand the structure of our planet Earth.

Living on Earth is correct.
Living inside Earth is also correct.

We are living on land, which is Earth. So we can say we live on Earth.

But talking from a universal point of view, humans actually lives inside Earth.

Language is just culture, it doesn't change scientific facts.
I was talking from a scientific point of view, and not a cultural point of view.

Culture and language can differ from people to people.

Like in Igbo language, Uwa anyi no na-ime ya, anyi ga ahapu ya, ma anyi agaghi ahapu Jesus, Jesus but nke'm

It means the The Earth we live inside (not on Earth), that we are going to leave it, but we aren't going to leave Jesus, that Jesus is ours. It's a popular igbo gospel song.

I think I have answered your question.

If I may ask you mine, are flying Air planes on Earth, in Earth or outside Earth? grin where would you say they are? They are around Venus? grin

No mind me oh.. but I will appreciate your answer.

Bro, you sound intelligent, so lets answer truthfully the question, not going sideways and move on.

The original poster asked a question based on an English arguement he was having with his friend... and both you and me know that based on the chosen language here, only one answer is correct in this instance...unless you would have not unconciously repeated it yourself.

We all get that scientifically we all appear to be inside this planet from space...but that is not the argument....and if he was to go to where real English speakers are and repeat this inside Earth jargon they would not look at him as some scientific genius but someone who can't speak English properly.

Thanks for your Igbo song, which again proves what I said about the peculiarity of language. Every native Igbo speaker would understand what that means...just like every native English speaker understands what living on earth means....and living inside Earth means something entirely different to them.

It's just like the way in Nigerian English we all universally understand when someone says "they have taken the light again"... this is incoherent and means something entirely different to any American or British person...but it is not illogical as our NEPA officials have probably shut off (taken) your electricity and given it to someone else (load sharing)... that is language for you ,just a tool for communication.

But as seen in the example above, language always fails when the other person cannot understand what you mean.

So we, live on Earth..... however I am typing this post while living in/inside Nigeria though I also hope to live in Heaven some day (you all can start another arguement again lol) cheesy

Oooo and for your aircraft example, they fly on Earth...to the best of my knowledge.
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by SenatePresdo(m): 8:42pm On Jul 03, 2021
AndroBlaze:

Bro, you sound intelligent, so lets answer truthfully the question, not going sideways and move on.

The original poster asked a question based on an English arguement he was having with his friend... and both you and me know that based on the chosen language here, only one answer is correct in this instance...unless you would have not unconciously repeated it yourself.

We all get that scientifically we all appear to be inside this planet from space...but that is not the argument....and if he was to go to where real English speakers are and repeat this inside Earth jargon they would not look at him as some scientific genius but someone who can't speak English properly.

Thanks for your Igbo song, which again proves what I said about the peculiarity of language. Every native Igbo speaker would understand what that means...just like every native English speaker understands what living on earth means....and living inside Earth means something entirely different to them.

It's just like the way in Nigerian English we all universally understand when someone says "they have taken the light again"... this is incoherent and means something entirely different to any American or British person...but it is not illogical as our NEPA officials have probably shut off (taken) your electricity and given it to someone else (load sharing)... that is language for you ,just a tool for communication.

But as seen in the example above, language always fails when the other person cannot understand what you mean.

So we, live on Earth..... however I am typing this post while living in/inside Nigeria though I also hope to live in Heaven some day (you all can start another arguement again lol) cheesy

Oooo and for your aircraft example, they fly on Earth...to the best of my knowledge.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't trying to win any argument.

When writing or speaking English, I use "on Earth" not because it's actually the natural fact, but because it's what English language accepts as the correct term.

Just like when speaking Igbo, I will use "inside Earth" not because it's the fact, but because I'm speaking what Igbos accepts as the correct term.. I don't know if you are getting me.

Don't be surprised that out of the thousands of languages being spoken across the world, that some people might be using "living at Earth".

Maybe Op and his friends were arguing which is the correct term in English language alone, or the actual fact in the Universal point of view.
Nobody knows, but I believe they were arguing the former. Which is the correct term in English.

I just wanted people to understand the Universal fact about Earth, which supersedes any form of language since language is just cultural.

As for your Airplane answer grin

Well I wouldn't say you are wrong or right.

But you mean, airplane fly on Earth.

Even in English language, what I hear is;

Eg; "I saw an airplane in the sky" not " I saw an Airplane on the sky"

So if Airplane flies in the sky, there is no way you would say Airplane it's flying on Earth.

So we will have to deduce that Airplanes flies in the Earth, since the Sky is part of the Earth, and Airplanes flies in the sky.
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Airoflaw(m): 9:10pm On Jul 03, 2021
Does the word EARTH CORE " sound familiar to those saying inside earth or in earth.

1 Like

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by encryptjay(m): 9:55pm On Jul 03, 2021
mansakhalifa:
For you to know which is correct, you have to know the origin and the meaning of the word 'earth'.

It is only after you have come to know the meaning of the name 'earth' that you will then appreciate the answer that I am about to give.

Now, there is something special about the name of the planet, Earth... It is so unique in the sense that it is the only planet that is not named after a Greek/Roman god or deity.

The name, Earth, comes from the Anglo-Saxon(that's pretty much old English) word erda and erda means 'ground' or 'soil'.

I hope you get my point.

You're so knowledgeable. You're a voracious reader I believe cool
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Judybash93(m): 11:30pm On Jul 03, 2021
Akakanfirstclass:
To answer your question, we live in both..

The dead lives inside earth..
The living lives on earth..

While Buhari lives under the earth...
That man is so backward

The dead aren't alive, so, they can't 'live' somewhere

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by AndroBlaze: 1:04pm On Jul 04, 2021
SenatePresdo:

Like I said earlier, I wasn't trying to win any argument.

When writing or speaking English, I use "on Earth" not because it's actually the natural fact, but because it's what English language accepts as the correct term.

Just like when speaking Igbo, I will use "inside Earth" not because it's the fact, but because I'm speaking what Igbos accepts as the correct term.. I don't know if you are getting me.

Don't be surprised that out of the thousands of languages being spoken across the world, that some people might be using "living at Earth".

Maybe Op and his friends were arguing which is the correct term in English language alone, or the actual fact in the Universal point of view.
Nobody knows, but I believe they were arguing the former. Which is the correct term in English.

I just wanted people to understand the Universal fact about Earth, which supersedes any form of language since language is just cultural.

As for your Airplane answer grin

Well I wouldn't say you are wrong or right.

But you mean, airplane fly on Earth.

Even in English language, what I hear is;

Eg; "I saw an airplane in the sky" not " I saw an Airplane on the sky"

So if Airplane flies in the sky, there is no way you would say Airplane it's flying on Earth.

So we will have to deduce that Airplanes flies in the Earth, since the Sky is part of the Earth, and Airplanes flies in the sky.

Well to avoid arguing, since you concede that "on Earth" is actually the correct answer in English language I will just move to your airplane point.

"Airplanes fly in the sky" , or better yet "birds fly in the sky" has always been a term people use in English- humans have always been able to differentiate between earth and the Earth, which is something that is actually quantifiable, compared to the sky, which has always appeared to us as boundless, both in history and religion....and even in science the sky actually consists of everything outside the planet Earth, which includes the atmosphere and out of space. Nothing is "on" the sky, everything is within, including the the Sun the moon, the stars (some will even say Heaven). Anyway, "in the sky" is correct in English because thats the way it has always been and not because of any scientific argument.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky

Now to stop you being clever by half, your original question was

"If I may ask you mine, are flying Air planes on Earth, in Earth or outside Earth? where would you say they are? They are around Venus?

To answer the question again based on your context, "Airplanes fly on earth" or in your peculiar choice of English, "flying airplanes (are airplanes not suppose to fly before) are on earth"....seeing as you pointed out we have no recorded sightings of airplanes on any of the other planets.

So to conclude, the preferred preposition when refering to the planet Earth, or any other planet for that matter is "on"..... and I did not create the English language, that is just the rule, just like Igbo and Hausa have their own rules, end of.

A similar example below and you can see how fast everyone corrects him.

https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/231473/which-preposition-to-use-at-earth-or-on-earth

https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst156719_On-earth-or-on-the-earth.aspx

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

>>>yabatech Releases Date Of Her Post-ume>>> / Governor's Brother Is State University VC: Only In Nigeria / Doings : See The Amount Benin Students Spent At Club In One Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.