Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,753 members, 7,915,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 04:27 PM

Tribalism In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribalism In Nigeria (162 Views)

Deji Adeyanju Blasts Yorubas For Their Tribalism In Guber And HOA Election / The Man That Started Tribalism In Nigeria / Why Is Jimi Agbaje Always Playing The Politics Of Tribalism In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribalism In Nigeria by Medblog(m): 2:14pm On Jul 07, 2021
You cannot be a Nigerian for long and not come across the word tribalism.
We toss it around, especially after witnessing someone getting favoured on account of race as opposed to merit. We are quick to pick up rough stones and throw then exonerate ourselves.

Of course, they are the prejudiced ones, we are not.

Perhaps it’s time for us to sit in front of a mirror and talk to the person we see.

That person may be more tribalistic than we think.

Tribalism occurs when we show strong loyalty to the tribe we belong to. In a way, that is not wrong.

Certainly, it is laudable to feel a strong sense of pride when it comes to your tribe as it forms a part of your identity.

The snag is, tribalism pushes us towards ethnocentrism.

We see our way of living as the most ideal, our fellow people as brothers and members of other tribes as Others.

We favour tribal identification in giving job employments and posts over merits and qualifications.

Moreover frown at inter-marriage, even when there is no issue with compatibility, because of tribal sentiments.

Sometimes use the cloak of man-made traditions, recite oral phrases, quote proverbs, all in a bid to justify our bias.

What is worse is our use of hasty generalisation to paint our world ‘black’ and ‘white’—black being Others, of course.

We do not hesitate to invent unflattering stereotypes over the bad behaviours of a few members of a particular group, neglecting the truth that no two humans are completely the same.

Armed with our faulty logic and blinded by our perception, we relate with others as allied enemies.
continue reading
https://ekzyblog.com/tribalism-in-nigeria/
Re: Tribalism In Nigeria by Medblog(m): 2:18pm On Jul 07, 2021
i hope u all enjoy this piece
front page pls
Re: Tribalism In Nigeria by KillMNKnow(f): 2:19pm On Jul 07, 2021
Proudly Igbo
Re: Tribalism In Nigeria by LLiKYekoba: 2:28pm On Jul 07, 2021
There is nothing wrong with tribalism. I am Igbo man through and through and will defend attacks on my tribe with even greater ferocity.
Re: Tribalism In Nigeria by airminem(f): 6:59pm On Jul 07, 2021
KillMNKnow:
Proudly Hausa/Fulani Kanuri/Shuwa
AKA purely Igbo/Ipob/Esn terrorist.

Hypocrite

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism In Nigeria by Medblog(m): 7:45pm On Jul 07, 2021
LLiKYekoba:
There is nothing wrong with tribalism. I am Igbo man through and through and will defend attacks on my tribe with even greater ferocity.
Hmm

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Loan Request Pushes Nigeria’s Public Debt To Over N35.5 Trillion / CP Ibrahim Magu, Former EFCC Chairman Dropped By PSC From Promotion List / Will Only Support Anybody Who Can Move Rivers State Forward – Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.