Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,177 members, 7,880,671 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:12 AM

Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta (7877 Views)

Mr. Oreo Iyanya Makes Acting Debut In Nollywood / NTA And AIT Now Praising GMB!!! / Omotola Makes Her US TV Debut On 'Hit The Floor' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by Chyz2: 1:11am On May 11, 2011
[size=15pt]Sesame Street makes its debut on NTA[/size]

By Our Reporter 1 hour ago

A Nigerian adaptation of the popular series, Sesame Street, the longest street in the world, is set to debut on the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA).

Funded by the United States (US) government, through United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Sesame Square is co-produced by Ileke Media and Sesame Workshop, the non-profit educational organisation behind Sesame Street. Sesame Square premieres Saturday (May 21) at 9:30am and will be on aire every Saturday same time and Sunday at 5:00pm on NTA.

The programme’s story-lines were developed in collaboration with teams of educational advisers from the Ministries of Education and Health. Season one of Sesame Square consists of 26 half-hour television episodes designed to promote fundamental literacy, numeracy, health and good hygiene habits in settings that foster children’s self-esteem, cultural pride, and respect for differences and diversity. Sesame Square will also emphasise Malaria prevention and HIV/AIDS education.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/5753-sesame-street-makes-its-debut-on-nta.html
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by drizzit(m): 12:35pm On May 11, 2011
finally a naija version.remember watchin it almost every day wen i was a kid.its a pity some youngsters 2day never got to watch dis amazing program.i simply loved it.kudos to the parties involved in bringing dis programe to our children in dis day.remember big bird,the count,oscar the grouch,ernie and bud?love those guys and dey bring back fond memories of my childhood.
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by roughneck: 12:46pm On May 11, 2011
Good one, we need good content on tv for kids, heard a kid jumped from the balcony of his school cos he felt he could fly like ben10, not saying ben10 is bad tho
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by lastpage: 12:55pm On May 11, 2011
First, ANYTHING is worth a commendation, on that, l commend them.

Having said that, the question l am struggling with is: WHY A "NIGERIAN ADAPTATION" OF SOMETHING FOREIGN?
Why not have our own ORIGINAL that others can copy?

I remember some decades ago, there used to be this "NIGERIAN TV Programme on NTA where one notable Nigerian musician (cant remember his name now), gathered children and they do this "story-line programme", used to be very interesting and even as an adult, l still sat glued to it, the way l watched Sesame street as a kid!

Lets try a much as possible, to be original, 50yrs after independence is enough time to do "copy-copy" and move-on!

How would you feel if a 50yr old man does nothing but copy what other peeps youngsters did? Are you going to be proud of such father?

BTW: I hope they copy the SNOW that falls during the programme! grin
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by akunta(f): 1:03pm On May 11, 2011
@lastpage,
u r rite, story line was a great 1,
i really did enjoy it.
i think it was jimmy solanke tat anchored it
cant rem properly nw, but the stories were fun!
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by otokx(m): 1:05pm On May 11, 2011
Where can i buy or download the entire series of sesame street?
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 11, 2011
lastpage:

Having said that, the question l am struggling with is: WHY A "NIGERIAN ADAPTATION" OF SOMETHING FOREIGN?

I remember some decades ago, there used to be this "NIGERIAN TV Programme on NTA where one notable Nigerian musician (cant remember his name now), gathered children and they do this "story-line programme", used to be very interesting and even as an adult, l still sat glued to it, the way l watched Sesame street as a kid!

Lets try a much as possible, to be original, 50yrs after independence is enough time to do "copy-copy" and move-on!

How would you feel if a 50yr old man does nothing but copy what other peeps youngsters did? Are you going to be proud of such father?

If you are asking that question, then you should also be asking, why not have our own "Who wants to be a millionaire"? Why not have our own "Serie A"? Why not have our own "Big Brother"? Why not have our own "Rap"?
Your question is far too vague. Sesame street comes in as adaptations all over the world; Germany, Sweden, and even South Africa. This step is very commendable and shouldn't warrant rantings such as is above.
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by sexy74(m): 1:23pm On May 11, 2011
a nice one.
I remembered watching all the episodes and it was quite interesting.
hope it has more of the Nigerian content.
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by sexy74(m): 1:49pm On May 11, 2011
a nice one.
I remembered watching all the episodes and it was quite interesting.
hope it has more of the Nigerian content.
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by strangest(m): 1:56pm On May 11, 2011
Nigerian Adaptation? WHO IS GOING TO PLAY "OSCAR" AND "BIG BIRD", HOPE ITS NOT JIM IYKE, grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by dazzle37(f): 2:14pm On May 11, 2011
akunta:

@lastpage,
u r rite, story line was a great 1,
i really did enjoy it.
i think it was jimmy solanke tat anchored it
cant rem properly nw, but the stories were fun!

@ Akunta and Lastpage

i think the name you guys are looking for is '' TALES BY MOONLIGHT ''
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by eghost247(m): 2:45pm On May 11, 2011
nice
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by 234GT(m): 2:56pm On May 11, 2011
Tales by moonlight was the bomb in those days. I never missed it. Sundays, 6.30 to 7.00 pm. I enjoyed the drama which was incorporated into thestorytelling.
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by sheeggss: 3:06pm On May 11, 2011
Plssss, i honestly agree that an Original Nigerian Content program should be put on TV and not COPY COPY. Moreover, it would have sounded original if they din't use the name SESAME as a title. All i can say is that it appears as if we have run out of ideas. I know people are still working, so let em keep my fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, i have Vol 1 & 2 of SESAME STREET (THE ORIGINAL ONE ON DVD) cheesy
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by Ojumiii(m): 3:12pm On May 11, 2011
i think the name you guys are looking for is '' TALES BY MOONLIGHT ''

That is right, i still have the memories of that as an adult now and mind your language etc. 80s and 90s was really fun
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by sheeggss: 3:15pm On May 11, 2011
Gosh!!! i miss those days - Kidivision 101, Tales by moonlight, storyland, Square one, Voltron, Superted, Gozillar, Speed Racer, G force they are so interesting, anyway i am still watching VOLTRON sha
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by cescky(m): 3:31pm On May 11, 2011
lastpage:

ur rite on point

strangest:

Nigerian Adaptation? WHO IS GOING TO PLAY "OSCAR" AND "BIG BIRD", HOPE ITS NOT JIM IYKE, grin grin grin grin grin grin

jim iyke= COOKIE MONSTER grin
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by baslone: 3:43pm On May 11, 2011
NTA? - First move, bad investment!!! Who the f@$k still tunes to that!

Anyway it's another big deal coming for Aki and Paw Paw!! wink
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 11, 2011
1st off,sesame street bhas versions in different countries and making a naija version is all good.talking of locally made programmes,how many of them stand the test of time.tales by moonlight and uncle jimmy solanke with the kids were made with sesame street in mind but how many of them stood the test of time?as long as our programmes refuse to grow with the times they will always wither away but dont get me wrong,i loved those programms back in the day
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by ypad: 4:23pm On May 11, 2011
This is what we need for our kids.
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by AdamuW: 5:14pm On May 11, 2011
This is very interesting. First of all I’d like to say I’m a Sesame Street fan through and through before anyone comments on what I’m about to say. This is an issue close to my heart especially as I’m an animator and cartoonist. I commend Sesame Street for doing this. I’ve been following this story for ages.

But for me the most important question was raised by @last page. ‘What about our own content?’ and he got shot down for asking it. Children’s media is a very important and powerful medium and is a subtle way of maintaining culture and also spreading propaganda. We don’t have any global African children’s programs that can match Sesame Street, Ben 10 , Dora the Explorer, etc. That’s very dangerous on many levels. Many families complain that they can’t find any African content for their children.

I and some other Nigerian/African animators and studios have stopped complaining and are facing the problem head on. My company has developed a cartoon which is now on sale called Bino and Fino. There’s also the O twins coming out soon. But we don’t have the firepower to market and distribute that Sesame Street has. I know that the Nigerian Sesame Street project got about $2 million funding from USAID which effectively means it’s subsidised and it doesn’t have to make a profit. We used less than a 10th of that to develop produce our cartoon.

So if you want to know more about Nigerian cartoons for kids check out the Bino and Fino Cartoon project website here http://www.binoandfino.com/and our blog here http://binoandfino./.

We have a vision to make it as big as Dora the Explorer. Other companies share the same vision for their titles. Sesame Street had to start from somewhere.
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by bababuff(m): 5:22pm On May 11, 2011
NTA??

I dey laff o! grin grin grin
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by AChigozie1(f): 5:32pm On May 11, 2011
[size=14pt] smiley Hooray! Nigerian children will benefit greatly from watching Sesame Street.  When I was a little girl I LOVED this program so much, you guys need a Mister Rogers' program as well. 

Do you guys know that when Sesame Street started in the late 60s early 70s, some southern US states wouldn't play it on their television stations, because they objected to seeing children from different races/ethnic groups playing together in harmony?  Thankfully, that ignorance was confronted, and eventually children in the south were soon able to love Big Bird.  cheesy

My favorite character was and will always be Oscar the Grouch wink.
[/size]
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by sulad82i(m): 5:48pm On May 11, 2011
I never like this show when growing up. I'll rather watch Voltron back then
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by sulad82i(m): 5:52pm On May 11, 2011
sauer:

If you are asking that question, then you should also be asking, why not have our own "Who wants to be a millionaire"? Why not have our own "Serie A"? Why not have our own "Big Brother"? Why not have our own "Rap"?
Your question is far too vague. Sesame street comes in as adaptations all over the world; Germany, Sweden, and even South Africa. This step is very commendable and shouldn't warrant rantings such as is above.

Thank you for reading my mind on that. Besides, Nigeria has its own shows on TV like Ajasco, Speak out, Tales by moonlight and many more
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by Pharoh: 5:54pm On May 11, 2011
This is very good development.
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by johnie: 6:01pm On May 11, 2011
Here's what Dave Chappelle (a comedian) thinks of Sesame Street.

[flash=800,800]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLMCcMat7Wk[/flash]

Funny, the guy's got a point.
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by vislabraye(m): 6:05pm On May 11, 2011
Sesame street or Sesame seed was nice while growing up. They had interesting characters. The only thing was that it was soo long and i couldnt sit down and watch the program for more than one hour cos there was no action. What was reigning that time was Bruce lee kungfu. .  .
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by nattyspice: 7:08pm On May 11, 2011
sam loco to play cookie monster
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 11, 2011
thatz a good one. I don't know if you guys remember this other nice program then on NTA Speak Out. Missed those programs.
Re: Sesame Street Makes Its Debut On Nta by voltront: 7:36pm On May 11, 2011
I think this is a very good idea someone said that a nigerian prog should aired not copy copy.the crap i have been seeing on NTA has always been a copy of sesame street anyway.I remember while growing up i watched sesame street and i think most of the things i know up till date originated from those inspirational times .Moreover i watched the preview on CNN and it was cool. AM SURE THE KIDS WILL DEFINITELY ENJOY IT. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Favorite Animated Films / Bleach: The Best Zanpaktou And Its Unique Characteristics / A Place In The Stars - Trailer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.