Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,675 members, 7,951,830 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 03:22 AM

Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? (18670 Views)

The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events / What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? / Church Members Flog The Devil With Canes In Church (Pics, Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by ignis: 9:03am On Jul 11, 2021
Nothing bad with that...
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by LandMann: 9:04am On Jul 11, 2021
smiley

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by bossvitality(m): 9:04am On Jul 11, 2021
Joke is better than sermon
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by ICEWIN: 9:05am On Jul 11, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

In Matthew 21:12, Jesus used koboko on people who were doing things other than prayer in the temple.

It goes to show that any comedian who cracks a joke on the pulpit has just got himself a first class ticket to hell.
let me tell u something u dont know.
1.u are not God to giv judgement
2. making heaven is not my living a sin free life or been righteous.
3.making heaven is by God mercy or the word God grace.
4.many people sin in the bible but still went to heaven
5. theres no sin free man or woman on earth.
6.theres no saint in heaven.
7. God said he will show mercy to whom i chose to,therefore a killer,rapist,wizard,witches,lie tellers etc can still make heaven
8. once the grace of God is with you anything is possible.
9. HAPPY SUNDAY.

#hjg
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by breathelove(f): 9:05am On Jul 11, 2021
If dancing music is allowed in many churches, then is it not hypocrisy to claim comedy offends God?
They all are forms of entertainment. We dance and sing in church to be happy so I see no reason why wholesome jokes can't be made within the church premises.
If you notice even preachers make jokes while teaching. It's an excellent way to drive home the gospel.
Drama and comedy could be another interesting way to preach the gospel
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by meobizy(f): 9:06am On Jul 11, 2021
Nigerians like taking things too serious. Churches are the equivalent of night clubs for people grown into a religious mindset. If it’s so bad then brothers and sisters in the spirit should not date each other, dance, wear modern clothing or jewelry of any sort.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by dandollaz: 9:06am On Jul 11, 2021
The best News in Nigeria is comedy.People are not happy now you want to stop happiness in church.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by breathelove(f): 9:07am On Jul 11, 2021
ICEWIN:

7. God said he will show mercy to whom i chose to,therefore a killer,rapist,wizard,witches,lie tellers etc can still make heaven
9. HAPPY SUNDAY.

#hjg
Pls let's not encourage sin.
Sin is an abomination to God.
No body would enter the kingdom with unrepented sin.
Pls encourage people to repent of their sins

2 Likes

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by ogologoamu: 9:11am On Jul 11, 2021
Bluezy13:

That's a fallacious statement.
The sin I know the bible said is irredeemable is the sin of blasphemy.
Some pastors crack jokes during sermon, does that mean they will go to hell ??
Where exactly in the bible is it written that when one makes someone laugh in the temple that one must go to hell ??
Sin is an immoral conduct. Is making someone happy an immoral conduct ??

I am neither a Christian nor in support of cracking jokes in churches but that doesn't mean that those who do it will not make heaven.
The bible has given a criterion for going to heaven which is only believing on Jesus Christ, and this makes me wonder what gives you such temerity to conclude that someone that just crack a mere joke will go to hell, and besides, you didn't even specify if the joke is an immoral joke or a harmless joke that does not in anyway adulterate the essence of the gatherings of God's people.

Comedy on it's own is not of God let alone performing it in the Church. Comic relief is entirely different from comedy.
Ephesians 5:4
Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Montaque(m): 9:12am On Jul 11, 2021
I remember the words of Jesus. That we shall give account of every idle words we speak on the day of judgment. Comedy skits are idle words to me

3 Likes

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by ogologoamu: 9:15am On Jul 11, 2021
hopefulLandlord:
christianity itself is a comedy on its own with funny things like talking snakes , talking donkeys , a piece of fruit confers knowledge, witches, magic tricks called miracles, demons cause disease, zombies get up out of their graves and walk around Jerusalem, ghost stories, creator of the universe coming down to be killed by three nails etc.

Our God is wonderful.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by BKayy: 9:17am On Jul 11, 2021
Of course.
Is church not a concert arena?
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Quenzy221995: 9:18am On Jul 11, 2021
This is a phone accessory shop located at alausa, its about 4months old it's stocked and furnished. just as you see it. it's for sale i'm selling because i'm relocating. contact me via whatsapp for a complete video of the shop and visiting the shop.
0 8 1 6 6 9 4 4 2 5 3

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by chima47(m): 9:18am On Jul 11, 2021
I do not support it all, more than 70% of the jokes are lies and things that never happened. and lie is lie, sometimes right there on the pulpit, the comedian makes joke of Christ, the church, and the servants of God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by BKayy: 9:18am On Jul 11, 2021
Montaque:
I remember the words of Jesus. That we shall give account of every idle words we speak on the day of judgment. Comedy skits are idle words to me
When did you meet Jesus?
Na so madness dey start oh.
Better go psychiatric hospital before it becomes late
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Childofthelord(f): 9:20am On Jul 11, 2021
Would a local chief priest entertain a stand-up comedian in his shrine?
Why do we try so hard to add a little "spice" to the things of God then? Like really, why?

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Childofthelord(f): 9:22am On Jul 11, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

In Matthew 21:12, Jesus used koboko on people who were doing things other than prayer in the temple.

It goes to show that any comedian who cracks a joke on the pulpit has just got himself a first class ticket to hell.

Would a local chief priest in Ogbomosho entertain a stand-up comedian in his shrine?
Why do we try so hard to add a little "spice" to the things of God then? Like really, why?
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by TGMISKY(m): 9:22am On Jul 11, 2021
Dear OP, certain questions are not meant to be asked in a public platform.
Now see how the church is being ridiculed via various opinions
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Nobody: 9:25am On Jul 11, 2021
ICEWIN:

9. HAPPY SUNDAY.

#hjg
Deceive and comfort yourself with lies.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by imolile: 9:27am On Jul 11, 2021
It is Demonic, It is a sure evident that the shepherd has no message and needed a scoffer to tickle his congregants, Pastors who allow comedian have lost touch with Christ, they are just socializing

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by xreal: 9:27am On Jul 11, 2021
Only in a youth camp programme.

And the contents of the jokes should be checked well.

That's all.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by focus7: 9:29am On Jul 11, 2021
Whatever Nigeria pastors turns church to in Nigeria. Christ injunction on what his house shall be still stands even though we know that the house is our body.

Churches in Nigeria is nothing but a business centre, an entertainment businesses, a showbiz and pastors are upgraded celebrities.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Bluezy13(m): 9:33am On Jul 11, 2021
ogologoamu:

Comedy on it's own is not of God let alone performing it in the Church. Comic relief is entirely different from comedy.
Ephesians 5:4
Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

..."which are not convenient"
And if they are convenient, they are allowed since that is the only condition your Bible text gives.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 11, 2021
When will you agree with us that today churches are business centre
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Handsum64: 9:35am On Jul 11, 2021
Churches these days are not about salvation for the tithes and offerings payers.
They compete with social clubs in every sense you can imagine.
Most of the pastors themselves are comedians, telling their congregants what they want to hear.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by DeRichard(m): 9:36am On Jul 11, 2021
livette:
Some churches do stand up comedy. They invite comedians from outside, and possible within the church to crack some jokes on the altar.. To me, stand up comedy in church is ungodly and a sign of disrespect of the sacredness of God's altar. It is a mockery of the sanctity of God's altar. You don't tell jokes with some lies on God's altar. The altar of God is not for caricature, but for holy things that are pleasing to God.

What is your view?

It's very wrong.
All they did in the early church was: pray, read and study the scriptures, preach, sing spiritual songs and show love.

Alot is wrong these days. The church is the house of prayer according to Jesus the Lord and we should not make it a den of thieves.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by stifej: 9:40am On Jul 11, 2021
Karlovych:
embarassed embarassed I fully support it, the funniest one I heard was when a pastor said drove his vehicle from Ogun State to Lagos State without gas in the tank.
Yes, Pastor Adeboye said it, and it is not from Ogun state, it is from Benin to Lagos. And it doesn't matter whether you believed it or not. He isn't going to retract that statement.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by ogologoamu: 9:43am On Jul 11, 2021
Bluezy13:

..."which are not convenient"
And if they are convenient, they are allowed since that is the only condition your Bible text gives.

It simply told you that the outlined are not convenient try to understand.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Chinny024(f): 9:43am On Jul 11, 2021
It depends on your church. We Catholics respect our Altar pass anything else. Is sacred and should be treated as one.
No one climbs the Altar anyhow.
So,in summary, check your church or your Daddy's intentions.
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Awoo88: 9:46am On Jul 11, 2021
it is sinful and satanic. Jesus chased people away with whips for this type of nonsense
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by AfonjaConehead: 9:51am On Jul 11, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Una no dey dance for una church? undecided
Una no dey do party for una church undecided
una no dey do Play for una church? undecided
So why is a comedy sketch or even having a comedian come do stand up comedy out of the question? No be for social clubs all of this dey shele? undecided

P.S. churches are social clubs or business operated mainly for the 3entertainment of the members undecided

Ogogoro
Re: Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? by Danmisra(m): 9:54am On Jul 11, 2021
Christianity is joke itself nowadays. In all the religions of the world all the worshippers are trying to seek God's acceptance, mercy and forgiveness as the mean objective of each religion except Christianity whose ultimate aim is to make money and enjoy life(happiness) that y all sort of entertainment, pervasity, blasphemy is allowed. The entire religion has no structure logically. Every body can be a pastor, man of god as long as he can entertain people. That's why educated illiterate and selfish people and so much in Christianity because it is the only religion that allows you behave any how you like because the is no penal code, no sincerity of purpose, the Bible is just a cover, God himself is a joke in the Bible. So tell me pls why people will not behave anyhow because some one has died for their sins. But all sane christians can agree to the fact that, the is no any logical or formal reason why u will offend somebody and instead of you to be punished rather the person you offend will smack or kill his biological sibling or parent. This has never happened b4 and nobody will accept this but amazinly that's is the backbone of christianity. How illogical is this?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Your Opinion: Do You Think King Pharoah Will Go To Hell? / Download/listen To "Dancers At The Gate Of Death" -a Sermon By Dr. D. K. Olukoya / Pastor William Kumuyi Visits Wike (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.