Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,798 members, 7,915,264 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 07:38 PM

Is It Right 4 Christians To Join The Millitary? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right 4 Christians To Join The Millitary? (639 Views)

Is It Right For Christians To Seek For Signs And Wonders? / Is It Wisdom For Christians To Lie In Some Situations? / Is It Right For Christians To Eat Sallah Meat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right 4 Christians To Join The Millitary? by swiftycool(m): 3:01pm On May 12, 2011
Ive always thougt about this. The military undergo all sorts of training paramount amongst which is HOW TO KILL. Every military man is trained firstly how to kill another human besides their primary vocation which is also designed to aid the military making life comfortable 4 them while plotting to KILL. It doesnt matter if u want to or not, if d mission is evil or not, u R to obey the last command or b labelled a traitor. So i ask U be honest do u think its right 4 a christian to join the Millitary? smiley
Re: Is It Right 4 Christians To Join The Millitary? by Joagbaje(m): 6:17am On May 13, 2011
It's a civic duty. Jesus believes in security. And the military .

Luke 14:31-32
31 Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? 32 Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.

He wouldn't use an illustration if he doesn't believe in it.
Re: Is It Right 4 Christians To Join The Millitary? by swiftycool(m): 6:58am On May 13, 2011
So you think its perfectly ok as a Christian to murder hundreds of innocent young men with families just because it was instructed by a King (President) just because they had a disagreement or need to show a test of superiority. I think Jesus using that anology never really meant he agreed to the process of war, he was only using a scenario common to his listeners, or I maybe i need other opinions
Re: Is It Right 4 Christians To Join The Millitary? by swiftycool(m): 7:20am On May 13, 2011
pls mods can u help get this topic to front page, ill like to hear varied opinions. its been a very controversial issue for many, Thanx
Re: Is It Right 4 Christians To Join The Millitary? by Joagbaje(m): 12:09pm On May 13, 2011
swiftycool:

So you think its perfectly ok as a Christian to murder hundreds of innocent young men with families just because it was instructed by a King (President) just because they had a disagreement or need to show a test of superiority. I think Jesus using that anology never really meant he agreed to the process of war, he was only using a scenario common to his listeners, or I maybe i need other opinions

Why didnt he fornication or adultery as illustration?  He used what he agrees with . He wouldn't use evil thing as illustration for a good message.
Re: Is It Right 4 Christians To Join The Millitary? by swiftycool(m): 9:50am On May 14, 2011
ok i get it, u mean the same Jesus that commanded all men most importantly to love their God and secondly love their neighbours as themselves agrees that a man should kill and strip his neighbour of his possessions in the name of war just because his King or president orderd it. That is sooo contradictory!
Re: Is It Right 4 Christians To Join The Millitary? by Nobody: 4:45pm On May 14, 2011
There are some conditions which might necessarily justify going to war

the damage inflicted by the aggressor on the nation or community of nations must be lasting, grave, and certain;
all other means of putting an end to it must have been shown to be impractical or ineffective;
there must be serious prospects of success;
the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated. The power as well as the precision of modern means of destruction weighs very heavily in evaluating this condition.

read up more from this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_War
Re: Is It Right 4 Christians To Join The Millitary? by Joagbaje(m): 4:51pm On May 14, 2011
swiftycool:

ok i get it, u mean the same Jesus that commanded all men most importantly to love their God and secondly love their neighbours as themselves agrees that a man should kill and strip his neighbour of his possessions in the name of war just because his King or president orderd it. That is sooo contradictory!

You are going into extreme. Jesus didn't send anyone into the army. But he is not against it. The army Is for defence of a people and territory . It is a service. Do you kill mosquitoes? I believe yes is your answer, but "thou shall not kill"  sayeth the lord. grin . If an intruder come into your house with evil intetion, wont you take every necessary step to protect your home? There are times weapons have to be used for protection and for order?

Romans 13:4
4 The government is God's servant working for your good. But if you do what is wrong, you should be afraid. The government has the right to carry out the death sentence. It is God's servant, an avenger to execute God's anger on anyone who does what is wrong.

Romans 13:4-5 ( MSG)
4 the government working to your advantage. But if you're breaking the rules right and left, watch out. The police aren't there just to be admired in their uniforms. God also has an interest in keeping order, and he uses them to do it. 5 That's why you must live responsibly--not just to avoid punishment but also because it's the right way to live.
Re: Is It Right 4 Christians To Join The Millitary? by swiftycool(m): 8:01am On May 16, 2011
one of the problems i have with the millitary is d swearing of allegence to carry out every order given irrespective of personal convictions. An old legionaire friend once told me he was commanded to bomb his inlaws village during the Biafran war and noted that there were massive casualties amongst which were christian civilians. Even when armies are sent to do what they know is evil, they are bound by their oath to this "man made god" called d millitary. thats how came d phrase "my friend b4 d war".

(1) (Reply)

Do Not Give What Is Holy To Dogs / Let's Join Hand And Help Our Fellow Human / Why Do Some People Say God Does Not Exist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.