Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:49 AM

What Is The Usefulness Of Local Goverment In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Usefulness Of Local Goverment In Nigeria (249 Views)

What's The Usefulness Of A University Certificate In The Presidential Election / Hear What A Man Says About Buhari Goverment In A Resturant / Coronavirus: Lagos State Goverment Disrupts Party, Seals Event Centers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Usefulness Of Local Goverment In Nigeria by referendum01(m): 8:35pm On Jul 20, 2021
Just this evening I was walking off to get some stuffs around my house and I came across this terribly messed up gutter completely filled up with blockades.

Although we are aware the nature of an average Nigerian and their penchant for throwing every trash into the gutter. It has become a culture here and we would have to live with it for long because there is no end in sight to it.

Consequent upon how our government operates, it is crystal clear that we have federal, state and local government roads. Unfortunately, our attention has for many years been diverted from the local government to the government at the center.

Every dick and harry is opinionated about what the president is doing and not. At best what the governors are doing and not but no one cares what the local governments and their chairmen are doing. This I'll thought tendency has truly left us in ruin, our streets in shamble and nothing to right home about.

Again I ask, what is the role and the benefit of local government system in Nigeria? If 2 kilometer gutters can not be properly cleaned up to allow free flow of water then what else can we possibly expect from our local governments. It is very clear and utterly disheartening to see that the only activity his our local government headquarters is sharing of money.

In most of the offices, staffs walking about aimlessly with many just idling away in the office and gossiping all day without doing a jack yet collect monthly salary. To make matter even worse we have staffs in our local government system who all they do is show up mark register and disappear into tin air and many others don't even show up but have macenaries who help them mark their attendance yet they get paid at the end of every month.

Truth be said, local government system in Nigeria needs to be made accountable or completely scrapped for good. It is a total waste of resources having local goveent headquarters littered all over whereas doing nothing at all.

It is really annoying.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Usefulness Of Local Goverment In Nigeria by sam564: 8:36pm On Jul 20, 2021
How can I make u understand that nothing is working in the system again. Even so called federal level has failed talkless of local....
Am even tired for praying and interceding for the country.....

I meeeuuuvvveee
Re: What Is The Usefulness Of Local Goverment In Nigeria by donbachi(m): 8:52pm On Jul 20, 2021
Its suppose to be a mediator between the government and the grassroot.

But,for nigeria, the government done take the root leave the grass for the people.
Re: What Is The Usefulness Of Local Goverment In Nigeria by Tajbol4splend(m): 9:27pm On Jul 20, 2021
Apart from starving and killing the civilians, what is the usefulness of the Federal Government?
Re: What Is The Usefulness Of Local Goverment In Nigeria by cybluesky(m): 11:21pm On Jul 20, 2021
Lol.....same wahala with the NYSC argument,if the unification reasons for which the programme was established has been achieved,we would not have a society heavily polarized as we are having presently.
Like the local government, the idea and it's policies are perfect on paper but poorly executed and badly run hence the results are highly undesirable.
We need a total systemic overhaul.
Re: What Is The Usefulness Of Local Goverment In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:20am On Jul 21, 2021
I was just wondering!!

I have asked this question countless times!!

The local government system is not working!! State government can not run the affairs alone, road repair/maintenance, empowerments, sweeping/cleaning of drainages, etc are some of the features of an effective LGA... here in Nigeria, everything is vested on the state,.. just like USA where county Governments are effective

(1) (Reply)

CDS Irabor To Visit Imo On Thursday – Official / South Korea Ambassador Visits Bayelsa, Pledges To Work With State Govt(pics) / Buhari Approves Creation Of Oxygen Plant In Yobe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.