Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,186 members, 7,977,471 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 08:54 AM

Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. (25534 Views)

Urgent! Should I Allow My Tenant Bury Her 1 Year Old Daughter In My Compound? / My Tenant Was Burnt To Death / What My Tenant Sent Me This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Born2winnx: 9:04am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:

The door net was there before she packed in. After some years, the door net got worn out, she only renew it. Please read the topic again, for proper understanding

Na you supposed renew the door net, but she did.

When leaving, she took it back...no issue here.

Give her full money
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Oyiboman69: 9:04am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:
Before this my tenant paid for the house, there was a complete door net in good condition. Therefore she has lived here for more than 5 years, during the course of those years, she renew the door net which later worn out. Now this year, she decided to park and rent a bigger room elsewhere. During her parking i wasn't at home, when i came back, i saw that she had remove the door net. I told her for removing the door net am going to deduct N5000 from the 8 month rent i need to refund to her. She starts ranting saying she spend N3000 to fix the door net, that i shouldn't deduct her money.

Guys, what do you think i should do?
you should have replaced the net door when got spoilt after five years. let the lady go jare
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Tizu(m): 9:04am On Jul 21, 2021
Your are a devilish wicked landlord.
I am sure you are not the one that fixed that door net.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by mfm04622: 9:05am On Jul 21, 2021
The correct thing is for a tenant to restore the place to the same condition it was initially! So, if a net was there, she net should be replaced.
in fact, all things in the apartment should be restored to the original condition. That is the purpose of caution deposit.

1 Like

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Cossybob(m): 9:07am On Jul 21, 2021
BafanaBafana:
A tenant is supposed to leave the house in the condition she met it. Tell her to fix the door net she met in the house, period!
And make her understand that if she delays, her balance will also be depreciating.

Damn nigga
My dad will always say, "A good tenant is someone who should be reliable and honest in making sure the property leased to him must be taken care of like it was his and if other wise he is a bad tenant. This is as simple as that, the tenant should fix the door net she met in the house.

3 Likes

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by phenylalanine(m): 9:07am On Jul 21, 2021
Promiseibritam:
She lived for more than 5years as agreed between u both.

You didn't gv her quick Notice, u didn't snt her parking
but she just decided to park.

Nowahala.....

If I wia u,
I won't refund the money since she cnt stay till her rent expire and I wouldn't hv worry abt the Door Net

Let her go with it.
Rent sum1 else that particular room and collect ur money period.
Where are u from?
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by aigohior(m): 9:08am On Jul 21, 2021
You be landlord, why did you not fix the net yourself, she has the right to remove it. She pays rent, she fix the door (what is the rent now use for).
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by armadeo(m): 9:10am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:
Before this my tenant paid for the house, there was a complete door net in good condition. Therefore she has lived here for more than 5 years, during the course of those years, she renew the door net which later worn out. Now this year, she decided to park and rent a bigger room elsewhere. During her parking i wasn't at home, when i came back, i saw that she had remove the door net. I told her for removing the door net am going to deduct N5000 from the 8 month rent i need to refund to her. She starts ranting saying she spend N3000 to fix the door net, that i shouldn't deduct her money.

Oga free the 5k. She replaced your worn out door net with her property. Ideally you were supposed to repair the worn out door net which you didn't. ( I'm sure she complained about it to you which you've decided not to say here).

It's her door net pay her her balance and let her be.

Don't let someone be dragging you up and down for 8k.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by fortune1968: 9:13am On Jul 21, 2021
I'm NOT interested in who is right or wrong . The fact here is that when argument or issues like this arise and were not handled carefully , it may result in tragedies . Just return her money and AVOID ARGUMENT over petty matter . Afterall, your house and the apartment still belongs to you and you can rent it out to another person who,on his own, will replace the net in a better way .

1 Like

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by rex21: 9:13am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:

Someone close to me let his tenant pack out with rent of over 7 months, and ts a 2 bedroom flat. Sometimes, you just have to let peace reign. Tell her to wait till another person moves into the house then refund her the agreed sum. Person nor dey use quarrel make mouth.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by reealec(m): 9:14am On Jul 21, 2021
Make she put back the Old one and return back your nails, pants anything of the old just the way it was
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by bizhop01: 9:16am On Jul 21, 2021
When poverty hit both landlord and tenant cool
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by macjurek(m): 9:19am On Jul 21, 2021
Dear Landlord,
Please from a Landlord view likewise and as a tenant too,where I rented at Enugu.
Negotiate with her how much she will paid for the net of five years plus Oga.

Let be human and civil,I know the tenant ,have reach extended limits finance wise to take old net along.

Bike,Ejoor,Abeg.....
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by oloko1859(m): 9:20am On Jul 21, 2021
Legally, that's if there was any agreement properly prepared and signed by both parties, there's a clause in the tenancy agreement that states that the tenant should put the property to the original state or better than it was at the time of taking up the lease upon vacation of the property

However, on compassionate ground you may decide to forgo that deduction if you had a good relationship with the tenant. I'm sure the responsibility of another door net will be passed to the next tenant
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by babyfaceafrica: 9:20am On Jul 21, 2021
Ola17:
The said net got damaged as a result of normal wear and tear and not that it was damaged by the tenant. You should be responsible for maintaining your property, you may only deduct part of her rent if the said tenant damaged any of your property out of carelessness.

The tenant was petty for removing the net though.
very petty.. Na illiteracy cause am..
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Born2conquer: 9:24am On Jul 21, 2021
ford101:
Oga if it's true that u had a door net before she packed in 5years ago. Then ask her to put back that old net for you or let the police settle both of you.
When police handle stuffs like this, won’t police charge more than 10k

1 Like

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by fortune1968: 9:25am On Jul 21, 2021
Cossybob:

Damn nigga
My dad will always say, "A good tenant is someone who should be reliable and honest in making sure the property leased to him must be taken care of like it was his and if other wise he is a bad tenant. This is as simple as that, the tenant should fix the door net she met in the house.
I'm not sure that your dad is right on this . You should understand that facilities (e.g.net, doors) wear out over time and this is part of what the tenant pays for time after time . What should the landlord do with the money he recieves yearly or monthly ? Part of it should be for maintenance of the facilities ( replacing or repairing the necessary ones )It is only in Nigeria , either due to poverty or ignorance ,that tenants pay rents and still pay for the maintenance . The landlords are also greedy . Find out from other climes .
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Originalsly: 9:26am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:

The door net was there before she packed in. After some years the door net got worn out, she only renew it . Please read the topic again, for proper understanding

The bolded .... the door net got worn out. What was supposed to happen? Was she to continue without it? It was for you to replace it ... you didn't... so what was she supposed to do? She replaced it ... for you... should you be taking money from her?... or compensating her? You didn't offer to compensate her... so she did what she did. Why N5000?....os that what your worn out net would've worth after 5 years? You should be ashamed to post this matter .... believe me.... your next tenant will show you pepper... you.will he praying to get back this one.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Reelmii: 9:27am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:

wahala dey ooo....
But bros, the best way to live long is to avoid women and their issues...
If I were u, I go leave her to go in peace with her money

It only shows she is a trouble maker... just leave her...the next tenant will do his/ her own net
And if u are not renting the room again, repair the net and use ur house on peach

I off my mic
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Sterope(f): 9:29am On Jul 21, 2021
Old door net worn out because of normal wear and tear, that should have been expected.
youngmo001:

what about the old door net i put before?. It got torn out due to her excessive usage, she to renew the door net doesnt give her the right to pull it out. Or she should put the old door net back.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by frozen70(f): 9:30am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:
Please, say something.

Just ignore that part if you can
That money can't solve any of your needs apart from weekend

Just let her go
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by dotun4luv(m): 9:30am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:

Did she pay for damages the first time she parked in? If yes, you should be questioned cos you are owning her more. But if otherwise, she can still sue you if she knows her way.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by cornerstonee: 9:30am On Jul 21, 2021
I currently stay with a landlord..but its sure it would be the last tym..
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by FODA(m): 9:33am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:

Guys, what do you think i should do?if you can't refund her complete money ,let her remove her net and leave ur door for u ,but u should appreciate the person using her money to beautify ur house ,may u never jam kolo tenant in Jesus name .
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by clockwisereport: 9:34am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:

what about the old door net i put before?. It got torn out due to her excessive usage, she to renew the door net doesnt give her the right to pull it out. Or she should put the old door net back.

This is the right thing to do.

She should replace the old door net

1 Like

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by legba1(m): 9:38am On Jul 21, 2021
I wonder why we are asking the OP to release the full balance to her when indeed she didn't hand over the property the way it when she packed in...
I rented a 3 bedroom executive flat with all amenities u want in a home some 5 years back. The landlord prof ensured we took a tour of the house together. I deposited a damage fee of 100k. When I was packing out 3yrs later, the master bedroom main door and wardrobe door and some other petty damages had taken place. Prof ask we take a tour like we did when I moved in, he called my attention to the damages and asked that I repair or he deducts the cost from my deposit. He called his carpenter and the repair was less than 13k. There and there, he reimbursed me of my balance.
That is how rent contract is executed and terminated.. No sentiment, no emotions
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Dada4me: 9:41am On Jul 21, 2021
With your style of writing, I believe you are peaceful, look away from it, refund her to the full.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by lookingfly: 9:41am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:

almost having same issue with my land lady. I moved in with the bathroom door having issues, I didn't complain. The wall of the room started scraping due to rain, I remove my money and repaired it because from what i inferred from her attitude she is those "old am smart" kind of people so I didn't even waste my time asking her to repair the room and what did this woman said instead of thanking we was that i should have told her about the repairs as if she would have done something about. Fast forward to 1 year after and after renewing my rent a month after, the bathroom door was falling off and i told her, she said she would send someone to come check it. After some days, the door detached so i brought the door into compound since there was not place i could keep it in my room. She saw the door and did as if nothing happened, I have her a week after that she didn't respond whatsoever, I went to her on what she would do about the door and her response was, she doesn't have money and she didn't budget for that. I asked her for how long was going to wait for the repairs, she said she's not sure......I even told her if she would pay me my money if i repair it but her response wasn't encouraging...... Something i could even fix for free, but that i am smarter than you attitude just made change my mind to stay for a while in the house and just pack out.....landlords should know tenants are humans too. I just got a property, planning to start building something too so that we go prevent this see finish.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by zomoears(m): 9:47am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:

The door net was there before she packed in. After some years, the door net got worn out, she only renew it. Please read the topic again, for proper understanding

Reality check.

What was your relationship with the tenant before she moved? 5 years is quite a long time, a lot would have happened.
In the course of her stay, did she complain of the bad net, and what was your reaction?

Some things are not worth the trouble, please move on.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by zomoears(m): 9:48am On Jul 21, 2021
zomoears:

Reality check.

What was your relationship with the tenant before she moved? 5 years is quite a long time, a lot would have happened.
In the course of her stay, did she complain of the bad net, and what was your reaction?

Some things are not worth the trouble, please refund her complete money and move on.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Florasilver: 9:50am On Jul 21, 2021
@OP, your peace of mind is what matters most at this point in time. She shouldn't have removed the door net sha, but just let it slide since its not something very major. You will surely get another tenant. You can choose to either replace it or leave it for the new tenant to replace. Pls let peace reign.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing / My Landlord And His Dad Just Beat Up My Co-tenant / BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.