Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,632 members, 7,979,150 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 09:34 PM

Man Schools Reno Omokri, Poses Questions Over Debate Between Binis & Igbos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man Schools Reno Omokri, Poses Questions Over Debate Between Binis & Igbos (549 Views)

Treasury Looting And Questions Over Tinubu’s Anti-graft Drive - Premium Times / ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos / Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Schools Reno Omokri, Poses Questions Over Debate Between Binis & Igbos by Gemid94(m): 5:02pm On Jul 24, 2021
A netizen @maazi_ogbonnaya has replied former presidential aide and controversial author, Reno Omokri following the latter's claim on the long-standing history between the Binis and the Igbos.

Recall Reno in a long post explained that the Itsekiris and the Binis had Igbo slaves for centuries before British colonialism which brought about the mix of culture as some of the Bini took Igbo-like names and some Igbos also took Bini-like names.

He further added that there are century-old carvings in Ode Itsekiri and Benin depicting Igbo slaves being sold to the Portuguese.

Reacting, Ogbonnaya in a long post asked Reno to come up with concrete evidence to back his claim, saying he would not take him serious if he could not provide valid data to ascertain his thesis.

Read his post below;

Dear Reno,

You deleted my comment and blocked me from commenting on your Facebook page cos I told you that your nugget is now lacking maggi.

Why did I say that?

You boasted that Itshekiri had Igbo slaves centuries before the British colonization..
According to you, after the British banned slavery, you Itshekiri people were forced to set them free.
Some returned to Igbo land, others remained with you and gradually formed a new language called **** (you can't mention) About 200,000 of them are still with you.

Reno, you went further as a Harvard-Oxford historian you are to say: "I will not reveal the name of this tribe called ****, because I do not want to offend them, but they are in Delta State)".

You said also: if they speak, Igbo, Bini, Itshekiri and Portuguese will understand them too. You said they have names like Iweka, Ikenna. You claimed that is how some of your names and also Benin went into the Igbo lexicon.
You also said because of the sheer number of Igbo slaves you sold at Ogidigben, the Portuguese named the town Escravos.

Reno, I know that you know it all from politics, religion, social life, relationship, everything about life, God is learning from you because you know it all, that's why you dislike dissenting opinion.

I am not here for attack, but historical reasoning. First of all, I want to ask you questions:

What century did the Itshekiri started having Igbo as slaves? When exactly? Oh you said centuries.

From your bogus writeup that lacks academic and historical substance, you claimed your people interacted with the Portuguese perhaps in the slave business.

Reno, the first time the Portuguese came to Nigeria was in the 15th century. They started trading brass and copper, pepper, cloth, ivory. In the1490s a Portuguese trader wrote that at Benin, copper bracelets were more highly prized than brass ones.

It was later, when the slave trade became norm in other African countries that the Portuguese involved themselves into that. Their initial arrival was purely for business. They did business with Igbo, Bini and others.

https://community.vanguardngr.com/forum/topics/man-schools-reno-omokri-poses-questions-over-debate-between-binis

1 Like

Re: Man Schools Reno Omokri, Poses Questions Over Debate Between Binis & Igbos by Obamaofusa: 6:59pm On Jul 24, 2021
Na wah o
Re: Man Schools Reno Omokri, Poses Questions Over Debate Between Binis & Igbos by Danzakidakura(m): 8:08pm On Jul 24, 2021
Reno done but market.
Re: Man Schools Reno Omokri, Poses Questions Over Debate Between Binis & Igbos by AntiBMC(m): 8:40pm On Jul 24, 2021
After the man schooled him, Reno shamefully blocked him on Twitter and Facebook. Such childish behavior can only be exhibited by a talkative.

Reno is garrulous. He mustn't put his mouth in every topic... he's beginning to ridicule himself.

3 Likes

Re: Man Schools Reno Omokri, Poses Questions Over Debate Between Binis & Igbos by Hardfacts234(m): 8:53pm On Jul 24, 2021
Reno is a secret Igbo hater and a narcissist.
Re: Man Schools Reno Omokri, Poses Questions Over Debate Between Binis & Igbos by koondog: 9:01pm On Jul 24, 2021
Hardfacts234:
Reno is a secret Igbo hater and a narcissist.

Most of them are including Rueben Abati and Doyin. I tell Igbos be very careful about whom you associate with or do business. Keep all secrets to your chest, these two-faced afonja blood contaminated people will try to destroy you out of envy.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

NYSC Should Be Suspended, Southerners Are Posted To A War Zone / Politics For Beginners: Grassroots Mobilization / Police Were Helpless As APC Thugs Hold LASIEC Officials Hostage - PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.