Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,519 members, 7,885,170 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 02:54 AM

Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? (11785 Views)

Doctors At Ebola Isolation Center In Lagos Say N1.9bn Promised By The FG Was Nev / Is There A Drup Rehab Center In Nigeria? / Do You Know Any Fitness Center In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by otilowaju(f): 5:11pm On May 13, 2011
Does any one know anywhere one can do a mammogram within the Lagos metropolis, apart from teaching hospitals (LUTH & LASUTH)? I know of one center  in Surulere but I've completely forgotten the address embarassed and have even lost their phone number cry. Please do help as I urgently need to have a mammo done and the procedure in such teachning hospitals are usually long and cumbersome. I await your responses please.Thank you.
Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 5:48pm On May 13, 2011
Do you mind saying how old you are? I'm not sure what the procedure in Nigeria is, but if you are under 35, it's not advised to have a mammogram as first line investigation, unless you have already had an ultrasound scan and you have been referred to for a mammogram.

Please see the following information concerning mammogramm screening in Lagos : http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/index.php?page=projectdetail&ptype=Programme&poid=113&mnu=module&mnusub=ministry&mpid=32&pocat=ministry&pocatsub=32

The website also cites a screening centre in Agege : Here's the phone number - 08023039808

All the best!
Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by otilowaju(f): 10:32am On May 16, 2011
@naijacutee,
thanks for ur response. Am in my mid-40s. Ive removed a lump twice, one from each b.r.east and at different times. The last one was about 5yrs ago. Recently I started having occasional pains in one of the b.r.easts though there's no lump and I just think I shd run a mammo. Like I expressed earlier, government things are usually time-consuming. I'll call the number you supplied asap. Once again, thanks to you.
Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by emans(m): 3:07pm On May 17, 2011
try precise lab in fagba
Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by otilowaju(f): 2:59pm On May 18, 2011
@naijacutee, yeah, I called the number and the owner happened to be someone who knows someone I know and a date has been fixed for the Mammo. So it really wasn't as difficult as I thought. Thank you kiss.

@emans, thanks wink
Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by otilowaju(f): 12:04pm On May 19, 2011
Sp
otilowaju:

@naijacutee, yeah, I called the number and the owner happened to be someone who knows someone I know and a date has been fixed for the Mammo. So it really wasn't as difficult as I thought. Thank you kiss.

@emans, thanks wink

So sorry I have to eat my words approximately 24hrs after I posted the above.  I was at the Xray Dept of Orile Agege General Hospital only for me to be re-directed to OPD (Outpatients Dept) to go and collect a referral!! Meaning I had to go and join the other waiting patients, take my turn, till whenever, to see the doctor, convince him why I had to do mamogram, and then bring my card/file back  to the Xray Section and join another long queque for x-ray, bla-blah shocked shocked.  It was almost certain I wouldn't get it done today!!!

Like I earlier said, I don't have such time so I took a trip to Precise Lab in Fagba as suggested by emans and within 45minutes I did the mamogram and returned to work. Just that I would have to pick the result later which is still ok by me. Once again, thanks Emans.
Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 10:04pm On Jun 24, 2011
My sister,

I hope that all is well now, but I regret to say that you probably would have received better informed treatment at Orile Agege hospital.

1. The doctor who asked you to get a referral did so for a genuine reason. X-rays are not 100% safe, and could put you at risk of developing cancer. Thus, every X-ray request needs to be justified by a referring clinician for the following reasons:

- a.) To prove that there is a legitimate reason for which you are receiving those X-rays. And that this reason outweighs the adverse effects of the X-rays you receive. For example, that an X-ray that would give a person cancer in 10 years time is more important to diagnose a condition that might kill a person in 1 month if left undetected.

- b.) If in the future it turns out that the patient contracts a cancer (for example) as a result of exposure to the X-rays and it becomes a legal issue, it is the duty of the doctor to defend the clinical reasoning behind the patient receiving those X-rays. If the referral is untraceable, who can justify those X-rays? The patient has unknowingly put themselves at risk.

- c.) A referral form poses a specific medical question which justifies the receipt of X-rays. For example :- ?pneumothorax (Has air leaked out into the pleural space of the lungs?) or ?obstruction (Is the abdomen obstructed?) or ?microcalc ( Are there microcalcifications in the bosom suggestive of ductal cell carcinoma in situ?). If the X-rays (having being interpreted by a radiologist), prove to answer "yes" to any of these questions, then the person who asked the question in the first place is in the best position to receive the answers to the question. Thus, a referral letter should conain a briefing of the patients symptoms and what the referring doctor is looking for as a result of those symptoms. If the radiologist doesn't have a written guide as to what he/she should be looking for, how is he/she expected to make an accurate diagnosis? X-rays might show an old/previous condition - how does the radiologist know that thiis is not the condition in question?

- d.) Waiting list. Is everyone present in hospital not there for treatment? Why should some people be allowed to jump the queue? 
Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by otilowaju(f): 8:05am On Jul 08, 2011
@naijacutee, thanks very much for ur response to my post. I'll be better guided next time. . I wish I had this enlightenment b4 I took that step. Am okay now all the same. Once again, I appreciate ur contribution. kiss
Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by Adeyolae: 4:13pm On Jan 29, 2015
Dear @Otilowaju, @Naijacutee,

I was asking the same question when I stumbled on this page.

Do you think I could have you social media details or any information to contact you directly? I am having a challenge regarding this and would like to know how you proceeded with your earlier treatment.

1 Like

Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by queeta: 12:17am On Feb 04, 2015
I agree that the waiting period can be ridiculously long in government hospitals. I was once referred to luth by my doctor to a neurologist, I was given an appointment for the EEG for 2 months because of the queue. That's enough time for things to get worse before its diagnosed. However I also agree that doing an x-ray shouldn't be the first thing. Ideally an ultrasound should be fine first.
Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by ddamselosoko: 11:31am On Apr 01, 2017
Hello. Am under 30 but would like to do mammogram exams. Any suggestions on where to go. Thanks
Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by savoiur(m): 2:39pm On Apr 01, 2017
Its usually not advisable to have a mammogram below 30yrs, a breast ultrasound scan may suffice.
there are lots of good centres in lagos.
Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by Aduks(f): 12:46am On Feb 10, 2019
Please how much is it to get mammogram done?
Re: Know Any Mammogram Center In Lagos, Nigeria? by Seyeah23(m): 5:28am On Jan 02, 2022
Hello Seun and Lalasticlala, can this topic be push to the front page to get more audience...
Currently my wife is having a similar case and I'm even feeling worried about it.

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19: FG Screening 19 Nigerian Firms' Claim On Cure And Treatment / JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy / BUA Donates Additional ₦350 Million To CACOVID

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.