Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,948 members, 7,922,341 topics. Date: Friday, 16 August 2024 at 03:27 AM

Tokyo Olympics: Tunisian Hafnaoui Wins Africa First Gold - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tokyo Olympics: Tunisian Hafnaoui Wins Africa First Gold (324 Views)

Birmingham 2022: Olarinoye Wins Nigeria's First Gold, Makes History / Tokyo 2020 Paralympics: Latifa Tijani Wins Nigeria's First Gold Medal / Team Nigeria At The 2020 Tokyo Olympics Opening Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tokyo Olympics: Tunisian Hafnaoui Wins Africa First Gold by abc115: 8:21am On Jul 25, 2021
Tokyo Olympics: Tunisian Hafnaoui wins 400m swim gold

Teenage swimmer Ahmed Hafnaoui stunned the Tokyo Aquatic Centre to become the first African to win a gold medal at the 2020 Olympics after a shock triumph in the 400m freestyle.

The 18-year old, who had been the slowest of the qualifiers for the final, produced one of the biggest surprises of the Games so far as he beat Australia's Jack McLoughlin, who won silver, and Kieran Smith of the USA, who took bronze.

Hafnaoui arrived at the Olympics with a time that was 15th best of the field and only qualified for the final in eighth place, putting him in the less favoured outer lane eight.

But he swam hard from the start and produced a brilliant final 50 metres to tap the wall in first. His winning time of three minutes 43.36 was three seconds faster than his personal best.

I was surprised I was a finalist and now I am surprised to get gold," Hafnaoui said.

"I believed it when I touched the wall and I saw myself first. I was so surprised. I didn't expect that."

Hafnaoui is now only the second Tunisian to win gold in a swimming event in the Olympics, after double champion Oussamma Mellouli - who will be swimming the 10km marathon later in the competition. And his role in the Games is not over, as he will also compete in the 800m freestyle on Tuesday.

The title is Tunisia's fifth Olympic gold medal.

"I was (had) in tears in my eyes - when I saw the flag of my country and I heard the anthem in the background it was great. I am so proud of it," Hafnaoui said afterwards.

"When I hit the water, I just thinking about winning the medal not the time, and to go faster than yesterday,"

"I saw the Australian guy in the second 200m, I feel (felt) great in the water, it was a great fight in the end."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/57959779

Re: Tokyo Olympics: Tunisian Hafnaoui Wins Africa First Gold by paulolee(m): 9:39am On Jul 25, 2021
congrats bro...he won a gold in swimming?? seems micheal phelps don retire..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Full Time Predictions / Official: Lionel Messi Leaves FC Barcelona / NFF Gives Preferential Treatment To Foreign Coaches Than Indigenous Coaches -izi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.