Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,717 members, 7,914,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 02:01 PM

The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo (1347 Views)

My Visit To Controversial Cairo Airport Stone Sculpture (photos) / Things To Run Away From When You Are In Uyo, Akwa Ibom State (pictures) / Passenger Forgets Money In Uyo In Keke Napep In Akwa Ibom State. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Rapsowdee01(m): 11:57am On Jul 31, 2021
If you get to visit Uyo any time, be sure to visit the Akwa Ibom E-Library (IBB Way). Beyond the building’s inviting exterior and the aesthetics within, this place holds one of the most fascinating public art in Nigeria.

Titled The Reader 2 it is a feminine figure rising up to 30 feet and looking down at a book.

It’s the work of sculptor Ani Udosen, currently a Principal Curator at the National Gallery of Art in the state, just adjacent the library.

The story behind the work goes back to 1998, when Udosen completed his final-year project focused on the emancipation of the African woman through education.

“I tried to focus on the gender inequality as it concerns the education of women in Africa and Nigeria in particular,” Udosen told me after I had seen the exhibition at the Gallery of Art. “At the same time, I did an appraisal of some women in society that have gone far in their education exploits.”

Image 2: Ani Udosen (L) with Pelu Awofeso at the NGA studio in Uyo (Image by Ekemini Joseph)

That initial interest resulted in the composition of The Reader 1, a maiden seated on a book.

Then about a decade later (2009), he was commissioned to produce a befitting piece for the newly completed Akwa Ibom E-Library. He decided it was a golden opportunity to push the ‘emancipation’ message further, and to project a sense of what would be happening inside the building – education and learning.

“That was an opportunity to re-amplify a message that I had already put out there 10 years ago,” he said, taking a break from his current work-in-progress, the bust of Air Commodore Idongesit Nkanga, the first military governor of Akwa Ibom State and who passed away in December 2020. “So I did The Reader 2. I imagined it to be colossal, so monumental that it would be in proportion to the building that was meant to complement.”

With both The Reader 1 and The Reader 2, Ani used a style known in arts circles as cubism.

In simple terms, “it’s a way of rendering biological forms in geometry,” Ani explained. Inches from where we stood, some interns were busy sculpting their briefs for the day.

The Reader 2 isn’t the only work by Udosen at the E-Library. There’s also a smaller, less visible work he titled “Pride of Literacy”. It’s also a feminine figure done in metal.

“It’s a robotic-looking woman with a book. You find out that I do a lot of study on the subject of gender equality, trying to encourage women into higher education exploits,” he said as our conversation wrapped up.

Source: https://travu.ng/2021/07/28/the-story-behind-this-striking-sculpture-in-uyo/

4 Likes

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Franzinni: 12:02pm On Jul 31, 2021
A real artist that knows what makes art art ...not all the 2k flyer nairalanders.

Would love to meet great creative minds in my lifetime

2 Likes

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Ezejichinaks: 12:28pm On Jul 31, 2021
It is lovely to learn and kudos to Udom Emmanuel once again for allowing talents to thrive.

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Talkingmafia: 12:32pm On Jul 31, 2021
I'm going to visite Uyo one that to read in this historical library.

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by davidzeelux88: 12:33pm On Jul 31, 2021
I like the fact that Governor Udom Emmanuel Is also improving education in the state.

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Viancerise: 12:36pm On Jul 31, 2021
Uyo has become a safe beautiful haven under the Governor Udom Emmanuel administration

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Samuelpresh: 12:38pm On Jul 31, 2021
The sculptures are beautiful. Was is Gov Udom Emmanuel’s idea to create it?

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by niyiforeal(m): 12:38pm On Jul 31, 2021
Uyo and awka ibom has really improved under Gov. Udom Emmanuel administration

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Mzzsimee008(f): 12:39pm On Jul 31, 2021
When you have a governor that identifies and supports talent. ��� Udom Emmanuel is really trying forget

2 Likes

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Fbmatt09: 12:40pm On Jul 31, 2021
I really appreciate the effort of Udom Emmanuel.

Kudos

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Rotimiojoadedir: 12:40pm On Jul 31, 2021
kudos to Udom Emmanuel for allowing talents to thrive.

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Spleez: 12:40pm On Jul 31, 2021
Udom Emmanuel has been working around the clock to make Akwa Ibom a better place for everyone to live in. Without talking too much, the ibom Art and Library is one of the prominent projects that has brought the state into limelight

2 Likes

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Oyedoyin2004: 12:43pm On Jul 31, 2021
Udom Emmanuel has never underestimate the power of art and culture. This ibom air is one the great thing that has ever happen to the state

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Ferolad1: 12:43pm On Jul 31, 2021
Akwa ibom has always been sailing forward under the leadership of udom emmanuel
It's a pleasure

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Reddishwine3: 12:43pm On Jul 31, 2021
Udom emmanuel is the best man for Akwa Ibom .. I love his competent works in the state.
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by ebunluv2021: 12:43pm On Jul 31, 2021
We keep seeing the wonderful things Gov Udom Emmanuel has been doing upon his arrival. Continue the good work sir
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Aang59: 12:44pm On Jul 31, 2021
Thank God for Udom Emmanuel in Akwa Ibom
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by VictoryAlex(m): 12:46pm On Jul 31, 2021
Governor Udom Emmanuel administration really has transformed Akwa Ibom. Love this
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by AgbaAkin91(m): 12:50pm On Jul 31, 2021
Udom Emmanuel is doing so well and that makes me proud. Akwa Ibom is so lucky to have him
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Xwarith: 12:52pm On Jul 31, 2021
Udom Emmanuel is a definitely a man for the people

Kudos to him
He's achieve a whole lot
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Bashorunghaar: 12:55pm On Jul 31, 2021
May God continue to bless Governor Udom Emmanuel for the tremendous works he has been doing In akwa ibom state. He deserves the best governor of the year
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Leribb: 12:55pm On Jul 31, 2021
I really love how Governor Udom Emmanuel Is also improving education in the state.
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by tbabelemon: 1:10pm On Jul 31, 2021
Great job from Gov. Udom Emmanuel
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by jabdull(m): 1:11pm On Jul 31, 2021
Governor Udom Emmanuel is doing so well and making the city a top notch
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by ernesterioo(f): 1:12pm On Jul 31, 2021
Akwa Ibom looking like London. All thanks to the Governor that knows what development truly means. Ride on Governor Udom
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Icekh7d: 1:16pm On Jul 31, 2021
I really appreciate the effort from Gov Udom Emmanuel. Big ups
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by MzthaGoody(m): 1:22pm On Jul 31, 2021
Gov Udom Emmanuel is that one Govel that values Development on Education and infrastructure...Big ups
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Realest425: 1:27pm On Jul 31, 2021
Amazing things are happening in Udom Emmanuel's state. Imagine if we have several Udom Emmanuels as governor in our states
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Ariketots: 1:31pm On Jul 31, 2021
Can’t wait to visit Akwa Ibom and see the work of Udom Emmanuel with my very own eyes
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by Uthyman: 1:31pm On Jul 31, 2021
Gov Udom Emmanuel is that one Governors that values development, kudos to Gov Udom Emmanuel for achieving such a huge achievement
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by foloflow(m): 1:32pm On Jul 31, 2021
Is quite amazing that Governor Udom Emmanuel is doing great things in the education sector
Re: The Story Behind This Striking Sculpture In Uyo by femoboy(m): 1:32pm On Jul 31, 2021
Nice work from Udom Emmanuel.....Many thanks to him

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Air Travels Safe? / I Nid Help Abt Studying In Austria / See The Mysterious Ram With 3 Horns Spotted Inside Unilorin Zoo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.