Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,566 members, 7,978,879 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 04:00 PM

In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada (41316 Views)

Buhari Approves $2.4bn For Construction Of Red Line Rail In Lagos / Lagos Light Rail Project To Be Completed By Dec 2016 – Ambode / "We Can't Complete Lagos Light Rail Project" - Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by manny4life(m): 11:18pm On May 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

The price I quoted might be a bit high. . . I actually don't remember ever seeing a very specific #. Perhaps you can Google and find something more specific.

BTW, are you sure that that is expensive? It isn't rail in the bush, it is in a major urban area. So it makes sense that costs will be higher.

EDIT: Prices here: http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/lagosrailmasstransit/. 1.4 billion for red, 1.2 billion for blue. I wish I had #s officially from the Lagos gov't though

Even at $1.2billion, that's a $33, 884 or $34million per mile, that's still on the high side given the environment that we are in. Starting out with land acquisition, architectural, geogolical testing, surveying and the whole 9 yards, you won't spend $10million per mile will you? Given the fact that Nigeria doesn't have laws, LASG can seize people's property with or without compensation. I mean there are no challenging requirements as opposed to it being in the west. Nigeria doesn't experience weather changes like summer (all hot), then winter (all cold and snowy), so it's more likely that IMO, the structural engineering isn't that challenging as opposed to if built here where they have to consider a lots of factors particulary if built underground. I guess it's more expensive because it's using a third rail as opposed to catenary wired, and then electricity has to be sourced from somewhere.

I mean hey, I am happy for them, that will alleviate traffic congestion in the future. I read one of the report of the red line; by 2020, the red line is estimated to carry about 1.8million passesgers daily, now that's a lot of people.

@ekt_bear I believe it should be for both; otherwise you are looking at $65million per mile which is very unlikely unless if it was a very high speed rail with advanced technology.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by ektbear: 11:22pm On May 17, 2011
^-- You cannot seize people's property w/o compensation, though. You have to compensate. Unless it is communal propery, which the land use act vests in the state government.

So you think $10 million/mile is a more reasonable figure? Can you reference any other similar projects done for that price?

It is funny, I've been looking at traditional rail a bit for another context with a friend of mine. It has been kind of a hassle to get good estimates of how much these things should cost.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by manny4life(m): 11:24pm On May 17, 2011
^^^

It's good that they won't see people's land because no offense to anyone, I've always assumed Nigerian authorities to be lawless, people who do not follow the rule of law.

For an urban highly populated state like Lagos, no doubt it will be high, but I lookup other projects like here in the states using the same or almost same stats and do some comparisons but keep in mind, there will be a huge disparity. For instance, the cost of land acquisition, engineering, technology, and so on

IMO, something floating around $12 - $15 million is standard because when you take into account the standard and cost of living and compare it to here, there's huge disparity. That factor has to be taken into consideration and then put to the fact this is a "light rail" not heavy or high speed rail, (they are called differently largely due to their top speed)
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by ektbear: 11:31pm On May 17, 2011
What were the #s? Can you share them for similar urban rail projects? I guess the metro in DC is comparable, for one. Just so we can get a ballpark # of what things should look like. I guess you'd have to include the year too so we can adjust for inflation.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by manny4life(m): 11:33pm On May 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

What were the #s? Can you share them for similar urban rail projects? I guess the metro in DC is comparable, for one. Just so we can get a ballpark # of what things should look like. I guess you'd have to include the year too so we can adjust for inflation.

Yeah WMATA isn't a light rail to begin with, but give me a few mins, I will look into the Dept of Transportation and see what info I can gather
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by ektbear: 11:39pm On May 17, 2011
^--- This isn't really light rail either, from what I can tell; it is just misnamed. More urban rail.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by manny4life(m): 11:43pm On May 17, 2011
You really don't wanna know the cost of the WMATA

They are having a new rail built as an extension to Dulles Airport (Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project) and it will cost them ^$6.8 billion for 23miles of rail. I guess that's a more comparable though they vary widely but here is a sample figure. That's about $296million per mile, now I'm not certain if that's all for the rail or the other Dulles Corridor projects are included in as well.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Fhemmmy: 12:19am On May 18, 2011
Eko Ile:

Stop the double tall and needless rant, You commend him for doing what he's doing, but knocking him for doing the wrong thing. We both know you don't give a damn about this project somehow.

Your made the same deceptive statement in your first post in this thread, you claimed the trains are bad and they are coursing a lot of problems in Toronto, but you refused to back it up with any info to that effect, I asked you to enlighten us with facts and another poster asked you to do 'same, but you refused and ignore the requests. Keep quite if you can not back up you claims facts.

We are all hear to learn, but how do we do that if all we're peddling is fake and made up gists and unsubstantiated claims.

Agreed, you are too refined and rich to ride in those trains, but feel free to write a check on behalf of the people of Lagos state to the state of Lagos for nice, new and more comfortable rail cars. Trust me , the people of Lagos state go really appreciate your noble gesture.

Lagos state with 18 million people and measly 2 billion budget is not on the same financial and borrowing  level with the city of Toronto, a city founded in 1834, a fully developed city of just 2 million people with over 9 billion dollars budget. Cut your coat according to your size. Who knows, maybe we'll be riding in spanking new TR's in not time, the fact that we are starting low doesn't mean we are going to remain stagnant, we moved from nothing to this stage right?

You mean cos i said he has done well for even thinking outside of the box means i cant see where he could improve on the initiative and make even work better?
BTW . . . i will not mind to board the train when i visit Lagos . . . like i said, what he is doing is great cos it will help reduce traffic on the road and give people other affordable options of moving the people and the service around the city of Lagos.
But, will love to see him just order for some brand new ones . . . . . .
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by DisGuy: 1:23am On May 18, 2011
have you guys considered the cost of the dedicated power plants with your calculations, perhaps that's why they appear expensive undecided

look at those boot on BRF's feet

those are safety boots, steel toe caps-mandatory for manufacturing plant
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 4:01am On May 18, 2011
Fhemmmy:

You mean cos i said he has done well for even thinking outside of the box means i cant see where he could improve on the initiative and make even work better?
BTW . . .  i will not mind to board the train when i visit Lagos . . .  like i said, what he is doing is great cos it will help reduce traffic on the road and give people other affordable options of moving the people and the service around the city of Lagos.
But, will love to see him just order for some brand new ones . . . . . .

We all know what the state is doing, to say you commend him for what his doing and the same time express regrets for what his doing sounds like double talk especially after throwing some fact less assertions in the mix just to spite the project,

The fact is, a lot of us are very petty, irrational and unrealistic. I do understand the ibo folks and their obvious re'tarded nonsense and bad bele rubbish because of lack of anything and everything in their village, but I expect more from intelligent, sensible and realistic people

We want all the good stuff without looking inside the state's pocket or even considering what these guy have been able to with so little in less than 4 years, we have ongoing capital projects from freeways to bridges, power plants, water works jetties, schools, hospitals and clinics, drivers institutes, transformer manufacturing plants, 15 water works, skills acquisition centers, a clean and better environment, parks, we have Lag Bus, we have BRT and many more, again, all in less than 4 years and on top of all that, they have to keep maintaining these infrastructures with money, pay the civil service from teachers, to the paying the largest medical staff including doctors in Nigeria, the most effective and best equipped police command in Nigeria, pay pensions, pay vendors and utilities and administer 18 million people for for just 2 billion dollars ,

Obviously, these guys have great vision and they are going at it with everything they have and I'm not ready to knock them for working within their financial confines and realities. I'm just glad they didn't kick this project down the road because of lack of funds or too many projects on the table. Today, we've moved from A - k and I'm sure we'll get to Z with better and facilities, it's just a matter of time and if some are so bothered, pull out your check book and cut the state a check for fancy trains, basically put your money where your mouth is,

Our best days are ahead of us, not behind us.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by hercules07: 6:10am On May 18, 2011
@manny

Lagos state pays compensation wella, the road and track are passing through commercial centers that have high real estate costs, I believe there is a dedicated power plant as well, is the cost of the road infrastructure part of the 1.2billion dollars?
Fashola is probaly 40 - 50% efficient because of the corruption in the country, the FG (una Jona) was going to spend $500M on a runway in Abuja or PH, the Lagos Ibadan expressway concession is about 2 to 3 times that of Lekki per kilometer (the guy nefa do anything on that road).
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Nobody: 8:13am On May 18, 2011
Dis Guy:

have you guys considered the cost of the dedicated power plants with your calculations, perhaps that's why they appear expensive undecided

those are safety boots, steel toe caps-mandatory for manufacturing plant

Really?? Is that what NYSC boots are meant to be?? cos it looks like an NYSC boot to me
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by juliebest(f): 2:53pm On May 18, 2011
Fashola carry go. God will bless u real good.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Fhemmmy: 3:03pm On May 18, 2011
Eko Ile:

We all know what the state is doing, to say you commend him for what his doing and the same time express regrets for what his doing sounds like double talk especially after throwing some fact less assertions in the mix just to spite the project,

The fact is, a lot of us are very petty, irrational and unrealistic. I do understand the ibo folks and their obvious re'tarded nonsense and bad bele rubbish because of lack of anything and everything in their village, but I expect more from intelligent, sensible and realistic people

We want all the good stuff without looking inside the state's pocket or even considering what these guy have been able to with so little in less than 4 years, we have ongoing capital projects from freeways to bridges, power plants, water works jetties, schools, hospitals and clinics, drivers institutes, transformer manufacturing plants, 15 water works, skills acquisition centers, a clean and better environment, parks, we have Lag Bus, we have BRT and many more, again, all in less than 4 years and on top of all that, they have to keep maintaining these infrastructures with money, pay the civil service from teachers, to the paying the largest medical staff including doctors in Nigeria, the most effective and best equipped police command in Nigeria, pay pensions, pay vendors and utilities and administer 18 million people for for just 2 billion dollars ,

Obviously, these guys have great vision and they are going at it with everything they have and I'm not ready to knock them for working within their financial confines and realities. I'm just glad they didn't kick this project down the road because of lack of funds or too many projects on the table. Today, we've moved from A - k and I'm sure we'll get to Z with better and facilities, it's just a matter of time and if some are so bothered, pull out your check book and cut the state a check for fancy trains, basically put your money where your mouth is,

Our best days are ahead of us, not behind us.

Lol . . . . . .
I do see where you are coming from . . . . I am a fan of Fashola but refused not to point out something when i think could be improved.
Cost of maintenance of those trains is what i am worried about.
But wish him the best
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by juliebest(f): 3:16pm On May 18, 2011
Good one Fashola, but i want competition, i want other govrs to put you on your feets, you shouldn't be the only one performing, it won't HELP Nigeria as a whole (Do Nigerians even need help?)

Don't worry honeric01, hopefully the incoming Imo governor will be a match for him, if not out perform him.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Fhemmmy: 3:32pm On May 18, 2011
juliebest:

Don't worry honeric01, [size=18pt]hopefully[/size] the incoming Imo governor will be a match for him, if not out perform him.

That is the buzzword
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 3:41pm On May 18, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Lol . . . . .  .
I do see where you are coming from . . . .  I am a fan of Fashola but refused not to point out something when i think could be improved.
Cost of maintenance of those trains is what i am worried about.
But wish him the best

This has nothing to do with being a fan of the governor because I'm not, the man is obviously doing a great job and unlike many incompetent governors in Nigeria, he's committed and doing what the tax payers are paying him to do, I'm a fan of my state and anything positive/in the right direction on behalf of the people of the great state of Lagos warms my earth accordingly.

We can sit here and argue and worry about a million and one things regarding what they are doing right or wrong, the fact is, they've challenged themselves by taking on this massive project and going by their approach in terms of capital projects, I refuse to worry about  such issues at this state.

There's a lot of investment money to recoup so it's def' in  their interest to properly maintain the system as needed based on that fact alone, one  dead rail car or off service rail car/s means less money to be made. This is a traffic solving problem and at the same time a money making investment.

The same concerns and a lot of negativity was thrown at the state/governor with the BRT and Lag Bus system, but that's really not the issue today, the operators have modern service and maintenance facilities to service the buses and keep them running. I even posted many pictures to that effect.

Lastly, we both know there's going to be some kind of after sale technical and maintenance agreement to keep the trains rolling.

We'll get there, it's just a matter of time.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 3:43pm On May 18, 2011
juliebest:

Don't worry honeric01, hopefully the incoming Imo governor will be a match for him, if not out perform him.

Hope is good,

Keep hopping and keep hope alive my brother,
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by shady26(m): 5:16pm On May 18, 2011
All dis southwesterners not letn us hear word abt thier lagos and thier fash.d way they msure things 4rm thier simpl heads al gud developmnts in lag belongs 2 thm 4gettn the fact that lagos ws developed usin federal budget when it was stil d FCT(our collective sweats).also my question to all u omo-niile and alayes' making noise abt taxpayers money are.(1)who does the most commerce in lagos(2)who owns the majority of the houses in the highbrow areas of lagos.ans-ibos nd they pay d most tax in lagos.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Fhemmmy: 5:25pm On May 18, 2011
shady26:

All dis southwesterners not letn us hear word abt thier lagos and thier fash.d way they msure things 4rm thier simpl heads al gud developmnts in lag belongs 2 thm 4gettn the fact that lagos ws developed usin federal budget when it was stil d FCT(our collective sweats).also my question to all u omo-niile and alayes' making noise abt taxpayers money are.(1)who does the most commerce in lagos(2)who owns the majority of the houses in the highbrow areas of lagos.ans-ibos nd they pay d most tax in lagos.

A joke of the year . . . .
Development while Lagos was FCT?
Show me or tell me the development and i will show you the new comedian location
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by shady26(m): 5:43pm On May 18, 2011
While commending fashola for the good works he is doing,criticism would only help him perform better xpecially.lagos state is not d only state working,enugu state sullivan chime is also doing fyn,adams oshomole of edo state too.fasholas' is just mor pronounced cos lagos seems to be the commercial nerve of nigeria with d most internally generated revenue in d country and agin i repeat rmove d ibos doing biz 4rm eko and it'll just b another ekiti or ondo state.4me donald duke is d man anyday.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by shady26(m): 5:44pm On May 18, 2011
While commending fashola for the good works he is doing,criticism would only help him perform better xpecially.lagos state is not d only state working,enugu state sullivan chime is also doing fyn,adams oshomole of edo state too.fasholas' is just mor pronounced cos lagos seems to be the commercial nerve of nigeria with d most internally generated revenue  in d country and agin i repeat rmove d ibos doing biz 4rm eko and it'll just b another ekiti or ondo state.4me donald duke is d man anyday.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by shady26(m): 5:45pm On May 18, 2011
While commending fashola for the good works he is doing,criticism would only help him perform better xpecially.lagos state is not d only state working,enugu state sullivan chime is also doing fyn,adams oshomole of edo state too.fasholas' is just mor pronounced cos lagos seems to be the commercial nerve of nigeria with d most internally generated revenue  in d country and agin i repeat rmove d ibos doing biz 4rm eko and it'll just b another ekiti or ondo state.4me donald duke is d man anyday.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by manny4life(m): 6:50pm On May 18, 2011
hercules07:

@manny

Lagos state pays compensation wella, the road and track are passing through commercial centers that have high real estate costs, I believe there is a dedicated power plant as well, is the cost of the road infrastructure part of the 1.2billion dollars?
Fashola is probaly 40 - 50% efficient because of the corruption in the country, the FG (una Jona) was going to spend $500M on a runway in Abuja or PH, the Lagos Ibadan expressway concession is about 2 to 3 times that of Lekki per kilometer (the guy nefa do anything on that road).

Who was talking about Jonathan; please let's keep criticism to the topic discussed. Besides, I wasn't criticizing anyone yet, I was merely surprised at the amount used for a country like Nigeria and a state like Lagos. Well if there's a dedicated power plant, that should be good. However, did I read someplace that gives the power the FG to generate and distribute electricity? What is the scope of transmitting this power? At least I know from what I've seen in the WMATA Rail, they have like sub transmitting outlets all through the system, and then have small circuit like boxes like every 150ft of each station. This will be challenging but I really can't wait to hear how they did it.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 10:30pm On May 18, 2011
shady26:

Though delusional, pointless and redundant, you are still entitled to your lousy opinion.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by ugostefano(m): 11:33pm On May 18, 2011
i hope fashola dont bring to lagos this old/crappy trains/cabin from TTC(toronto). i hate this trains and also ttc has been under fire for there average services. TTC sucks n everybody here(toronto) hates them cos of there services. please go to uk and adopt thier style of subway system, as of TTC it sucks and they have not been able to convince us that they can meet the needs of people here in toronto talkless of been a model for another city. also these trains sucks they are not even that fast and they are dirthy. i cant remenber the last time i went on it.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by DisGuy: 2:21am On May 19, 2011
ugostefano:

i hope fashola dont bring to lagos this old/crappy trains/cabin from TTC(toronto). i hate this trains and also ttc has been under fire for there average services. TTC sucks n everybody here(toronto) hates them cos of there services. please go to uk and adopt thier style of subway system, as of TTC it sucks and they have not been able to convince us that they can meet the needs of people here in toronto talkless of been a model for another city. also these trains sucks they are not even that fast and they are dirthy. i cant remenber the last time i went on it.

is it the trains you hate or the service, for example many people hate jubilee line but they use the same trains as bakerloo, northern line etc
so just the service providers using the same trains getting different results mainly due to rail maintenance and other issues

How noisy are these trains?
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by thirty(m): 5:45pm On May 20, 2011
Stormm or what is your name. which state do you came from?

i know your governor dont "perform" at all.

Go back to your state and make a "PROPER PLAN" for a good project development.

failure start from bad planning.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Mariory(m): 11:26pm On May 20, 2011
New renders of the Blue line trains that will be operated by Eko Rail (Company handling the trains on the blue line). These will be the refurbished cars from TTC

http://ekorail.net/
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by lastpage: 1:42am On May 21, 2011
Looking back, l noticed that "Eko-Ile" has made it "HIS JOB" to insult anyone who dares state a "different opinioor n" disagree with his own opinion about the Rail Project!

Even if you are going to or derive your livelihood from the "Toronto Project", you dont need to display your "level/kind of upbringing", so PUBLICLY!

This kind of rabid "dysentery of the mouth" is uncalled for, in a public discuss!

Na waah oh!

We disagree to agree naah!
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 1:56am On May 21, 2011
lastpage:

Looking back, l noticed that "Eko-Ile" has made it "HIS JOB" to insult anyone who dares state a "different opinioor n" disagree with his own opinion about the Rail Project!

Even if you are going to or derive your livelihood from the "Toronto Project", you dont need to display your "level/kind of upbringing", so PUBLICLY!

This kind of rabid "dysentery of the mouth" is uncalled for, in a public discuss!

Na waah oh!

We disagree to agree naah!

Trust me, I get that all the time, especially when I conner and chalenge ignorant folks running their mouth without facts to back 'em up.

If you have new facts about the project to share, go ahead or quit crying like a baby,
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by eewule(m): 9:08am On May 21, 2011
I will gladly vote for fashola in 2015 if only he runs. Imagine, while other governors (not satisfied winning election) are campaigning to lead the govornors forum, Fashola is busy inspecting new trains for he's people welfare. If only all Nigerian governors were like fashola , Anyway Lagos state has been blessed

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

FESTAC Tanker Fire Destroyed 26 Vehicles, Others (Photos, Video) / Things You Should Never Buy At The Airport / JAPA: My Marriage Shakes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.