Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,175 members, 7,950,062 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 07:36 AM

Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station (45335 Views)

Nigerian Fuel Situation- How To Reduce Your Fuel Consumption When Driving In Nig / How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station / 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Cnach: 7:22am On Aug 03, 2021
bab22:
Na Dis wan dem wan reproduce.
Na that statement vesi me pass..
Re what?
Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by amanze2020(m): 7:27am On Aug 03, 2021
Does that engage in corrupt practices have one nomenclature in common: HUSH.

Hushpuppy...
Hushkyari...
HushAPC...
HushPDP...
HushINEC...
HushNNPC...
HushCivilServant...
HushLecturers...
HushVCs...
HushSenators...
HushMinisters...
Etcs...
Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Mangekyo: 7:27am On Aug 03, 2021
mployer:

You lie. There is no part of Nigeria they don't burn people cheesy

They don't in my side
Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Atunga: 7:27am On Aug 03, 2021
houseontherock:
I just check meter reading, that's all. Check to see the attendant rubs off the last reading-especially if a napep or bike has just bought fuel of 500 or less because they sometimes start from there and if you're buying like 3,000 fuel or thereabouts, you may not notice. As per the nuzzle returning my fuel, that's not something I can help if it still shows the correct amount on their machine! We really need to watch the unnecessarily jovial attendant because truly he/she will mostly cheat you...it happened to me at a Total filling station.

Total Filling Stations' attendants seem to undergo special trainings on how to defraud their customers. They are very notorious.

2 Likes

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by owagbeba: 7:33am On Aug 03, 2021
Cnach:
Oh Africa, sorrow
Pls how do they use to pump air and it will reflect on the pump reader?
Na the rocket science I wan know.
I'm ok with the brain injuries they gave me as a child, both in pronunciation and superstitious believe.
Wetin vesi me pass na the warning make they reproduce this fake speculation any where as if it is Versace design drawing.
Oyibo do us shaa o

I think say na only me shake head when I read this story..”what a garbage report!”..

it just shows the class and level of many visitors to Nairaland front page. Are they mainly JSS kids? They all took this story hook,line and sinker. Just a few like you countered this garbage... jojomario also questioned the credibility of this report.

With this level of ignorance in the society, do you think we can ever progress?

5 Likes

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 03, 2021
pocohantas:

I am more curious as to why you guys assume we all live amongst hoodlums.

We don’t burn people in this part of the world. That is reserved for you guys in Amukoko, Ijegun, Ilaje, Mushin, Ijeshatedo,OKOTA grin, Agege…etc lipsrsealed

how many people living in lekki today were born & brought up in lekki ... 80% that constitute lekki residents either migrated from the mainland or village, was it not the okota in you that prompted yu to elope with a fillin station POS... the question is would a real ajebutter have such mindset talkless of doing it, ki lo fii yato sii awa hoodlum

aunty wey ** undecided you've proven that one can only take a child out of the ghetto buh can never take ghetto out of the child grin

4 Likes

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by rumaabk(m): 7:35am On Aug 03, 2021
I was defrauded recently buying 4k fuel, but i ended up getting 3k i discovered from the fuel gauge.
Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by ifeolamide00(m): 7:38am On Aug 03, 2021
Therr is nothing like pumping air of any amount ...the common and best way they cheat customers is by numbers showing on the pump...they sell to customers and dont hang the fuel nozzle properly so it doesnt refresh and start from zero...they continue from what they sold the last customer qnd dip it to your tank....what you should watch out for is the beginning and end on the fuel pump
Unless the fuel pump is faulty or specially made for fraud

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Mordecai(m): 7:42am On Aug 03, 2021
owagbeba:
There is no evidence that using a mobile phone next to petrol may spark an explosion. The science is “not” there.

From page 1 to page 2, no one countered this narrative on mobile phone radiation-petrol explosion? No science student on Nairaland? This is sad!

Test for Non-Science kids on Nairaland:
Pour a bit of petrol in a cup.
Set a mobile phone to auto answer
Place the phone over the cup.
Go to safe distance and call that mobile phone from another phone.
Any explosion!

.... mythbusters to the rescue

There was a time phones emit radiation enough to heat fuel up and cause an explosion. The warnings are a carryover from those days.

4 Likes

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Springboot: 7:42am On Aug 03, 2021
abeloureal:
This your post is not comprehensive enough. I do not understand

Come back when you gain admission into higher institution, you might understand then.
Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Enyimbamercedes: 7:43am On Aug 03, 2021
Number 1 is very correct!

If you get to a pump and the attendant is unusually friendly, complementing you/ your car whatever… be extra wary and watch the pump. They probably want to cheat you…. Or they are just having a good day

1 Like

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 7:44am On Aug 03, 2021
mployer:

You lie. There is no part of Nigeria they don't burn people cheesy

You need to move around more. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Distinction4030: 7:46am On Aug 03, 2021
drlaykay:
This your explanation hard o
Most of what is written there can only be detected by an experienced person, probably someone who has worked as a fuel attendant previously.
I don't know how I want to know when air is being pumped into my car since I don't live in the tank.
A long nozzle not emptying completely makes sense, but how do I prevent that?
Cut the nozzle to get the remaining fuel?

If metre is adjusted to dispense lesser than what is obtainable, how do we know?

If an old price is recalled, will it automatically reflect on the screen?

These are simply methods used in scamming us and not solutions
Nothing like pumping air into your car, once the meter is reading you get your fuel. People just have believe that they pump air. They hack meters and no one can get that

1 Like

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Tpharell: 7:46am On Aug 03, 2021
There are primarily two ways they shortchange the customer when buying petrol.
1. The pump is adjusted abinitio to dispense less than expected. This does not only affect targeted customers but everyone that buys from such pump, and there is not much to do than to report/complain to regulatory agencies like DPR.
2. Carrying over the last sales bill into the unsuspecting or distracted customers bill by not hanging the nozzle properly to reset to zero. If the sales before you was 2000 naira and the attendant continues without resetting to zero, you get 2000 naira less value for whatever amount of purchase made. Here, you can complain to the manager/supervisor and seek redress when the discrepancy is quite obvious, thats why they mostly attempt such trick when the previous purchase is small like 500 or 1000 and the new purchase is high like 4 or 5000 naira, else the scam is easily detectable. Ensure the meter is reset to zero always before they commence dispensing to your car.

4 Likes

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 03, 2021
Another one is - check your POS voucher after the purchase. That was what an attendant at Oando Ojodu Berger used on me. Entered N3,000 on POS while he entered correct amount - N2,500 on the dispensing machine. Unfortunately for him, he pressed current account, but my money was in savings account.

3 Likes

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by grandpoh(m): 7:50am On Aug 03, 2021
drlaykay:
Most of what is written there can only be detected by an experienced person, probably someone who has worked as a fuel attendant previously.
I don't know how I want to know when air is being pumped into my car since I don't live in the tank.

If metre is adjusted to dispense lesser than what is obtainable, how do we know?

Don’t mind the OP jare
The best solution ever is to know your car very well and stick to buying a particular amount of fuel this way you know where your gauge is supposed to be when it’s not there then there is problem or case of fraud

The truth is you can only get quality and accurate fuel from the major marketers here I mean Nnpc,total,forte etc but you see those independent market wey you go dey hear alubarika oil and gas run away from them cos the 1L you buy is actually 0.75L and it’s not the attendant fault it’s the management that adjusted the meter

Most times when they are done with sales of the 33k litres truck they have an excess of say 1k to 1.5k litres of fuel as additional profit due to meter adjustment

Lastly the OP is wrong
Attendants don’t sell air knowingly this only happens when fuel don finish for the underground tank and even the customer will notice it cos the meter will blink and the pump will be jerking.

3 Likes

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by adanny01(m): 7:50am On Aug 03, 2021
chatinent:

No part of this post should be reproduced without written approval from the author.

Five things you should look out for while fuel in a Nigerian fuel station.

Source: https://www.nopremiumtears.com.ng/2021/08/five-things-you-should-know-to-avoid.html

Please drop your comments below. How has this post helped you? Please drop your comments.

Also, please note this, longer nozzles automatically reserves your fuel and it goes back to the engine -- enough fuel for them! E shock you?

This above is false.

Secondly, there is no pumping of air by the dispenser. The fuel dispenser is designed to not count or dispense when there is air. In fact, there are air bleeding mechanism on all dispensers.

They can't choose to pump fuel one minute and air the next minute.

When i ask for fill up, thats when any trick will likely fail or become very glaring that a mischief happened. Every car owner knows the maximum fuel he has ever bought, you can't go above it by 1 or 2k even with a badly adjusted delivery system. If i have never crossed 10k, just because i asked for fill up doesn't mean i will take it if my tank fills up at 12k. Its a dead give away.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Calitoscassius(m): 7:52am On Aug 03, 2021
Franking:
Imagine the plenty wahala jus to buy fuel.

Make them chop me jare. Who no throway no go pick. grin
imagine, all these i have to do just to not be scammed 2000 naira. Infact, who has time for all these rubbish?

Although it is wrong that they are scamming people but they are nigerians, even the chief police in nigeria is a scammer.

2 Likes

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by ElValiente(m): 7:53am On Aug 03, 2021
This one na ways to scam us na not the solution na. Wish Kain explanation be dis na.

2 Likes

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Dagger111(m): 7:54am On Aug 03, 2021
pocohantas:

I am more curious as to why you guys assume we all live amongst hoodlums.

We don’t burn people in this part of the world. That is reserved for you guys in Amukoko, Ijegun, Ilaje, Mushin, Ijeshatedo, Agege…etc lipsrsealed

You just mentioned places on random. I lived in Ijegun for 24yrs, i have never come across where they burnt down any person.
Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Calitoscassius(m): 7:54am On Aug 03, 2021
When the nigerian chief police is a scammer, what else would one expect?

Every nigerian is a scammer or a potential scammer. That country will never ever ever ever get better even in the next 200 years to come.

1 Like

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by lailo: 7:55am On Aug 03, 2021
Only stingy people will be looking out for all these rules
Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Tpharell: 7:56am On Aug 03, 2021
bakesntakes:

You guys need to be careful, some of this fuel attendants are greedy people, when making payment with POS always make sure you double check the amount typed in, instead of #6,000 some of them will just put #60,000. If you eventually find out, they'll say it's mistake. This happened to a friend of mine, he doesn't receive alert on his phone, so he didn't know what they had done, it was later in the week that he need to pay for something online and found out that he had insufficient funds. So he requested for his Bank statement, and it was discovered that the fuel attendant had scanned him, he reported the matter thought and hot his money back. The attendant said it was a mistake. But it's not true, that's the style they use especially if they observed l you and see that this guy is well packaged. Be careful
This is not plausible and the attendants know it is not defensible hence will rarely attempt such dumb stunt. After deceptively charging my ATM card 70k instead of 7k how do you defend that i bought fuel of 70k into my Toyota Camry when I return later, considering there is irrefutable electronic evidence of the POS transaction?

3 Likes

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by bluefilm: 7:58am On Aug 03, 2021
chatinent:

No part of this post should be reproduced without written approval from the author.

Source: https://www.nopremiumtears.com.ng/2021/08/five-things-you-should-know-to-avoid.html

Please drop your comments below. How has this post helped you? Please drop your comments.

Change your misery mentality because it is not good for your health at all.
Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by bluefilm: 7:59am On Aug 03, 2021
lailo:

I dey tell you.
Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by owagbeba: 8:00am On Aug 03, 2021
Mordecai:

There was a time phones emit radiation enough to heat fuel up and cause an explosion. The warnings are a carryover from those days.

Do the experiment and burst this myth.

If we are to judge by what they have been saying, then how about FCC saying the possibility of this explosion is only theoretically possible and in practice very remote.

Phone radiation is not as high as the one generated by Microwave oven in your kitchen.
Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by adanny01(m): 8:03am On Aug 03, 2021
lailo:

When you refer to fraud as stinginess, then all is not well and will never be well with Nigeria. Consider yourself one of the bad eggs since "corruption is just stealing".

We should not deceive ourselves that those small offenses do not need to count.

5 Likes

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by UncleKoboko: 8:03am On Aug 03, 2021
chatinent:

This is bullshit

98% of all the fuel stations in Nigeria are bastard thieves.

I have take a well calibrated container to countless and many would usually ADJUSTED their meters.
Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Moderna: 8:09am On Aug 03, 2021
drlaykay:

I can't even make sense of his points. I mean the easy to understand points there are already known to many (the part- distracting one's attention)

1 Like

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Dchair2: 8:14am On Aug 03, 2021
owagbeba:

I think say na only me shake head when I read this story..”what a garbage report!”..

it just shows the class and level of many visitors to Nairaland front page. Are they mainly JSS kids? They all took this story hook,line and sinker. Just a few like you countered this garbage... jojomario also questioned the credibility of this report.

With this level of ignorance in the society, do you think we can ever progress?

Oga it's possible for air to be sold to you but not in the volume that many have suggested, a faulty pump will actually read digits on the console but delay in dispensing whatever product you intend buying, it like a weak fuel pump with a low pressure issue, you can easily detect this by purchasing in a fairly transparent keg, how many have noticed how in going into a petrol station with a keg some would direct you to a particular pump even when other pumps are working and free of customers? Have you ever wondered why? Your guess is as good as mine

1 Like

Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by Angelmichael63: 8:15am On Aug 03, 2021
Oga that pumping of air into the tank is not done by attendance sir even if u attend to yourself once pumping machine is adjusted to pump air together with fuel no matter what u do u wil surely pump air to ur tank while the metre will also read for air(DOUBLE MONEY FOR THE OWNER).

Is the work of fraudulent engineers and almost all filling station have them.
Re: Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station by kazyhm(m): 8:19am On Aug 03, 2021
drlaykay:

The op is misleading you and you're nodding your head.

1) an attendant can't pump air into your tank
2) fuel remain in a long nozzle add nor remove nothing....doesn't go back to the pump
3) an attendant can't proceed sales from a recalled sale......

The op does not understand how fuel stations and attendants cheats customers......

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Inside Trump's New Car, The 'Beast' / The Evolution Of Toyota Camry From The Year 1983 To Present (photos) / Why Did Nigeria Change From Righthand Drive To Lefthand Drive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.