Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,917 members, 7,879,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 07:23 AM

United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights (16109 Views)

Presidential Statement On Twitter Suspension In Nigeria By Garba Shehu / Boko Haram And Buhari Trending On United States Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by tutudesz: 6:07pm On Aug 05, 2021
AntiBMC:

On the contrary, a whole lot of money has been spent.

https://www.nairaland.com/6686508/twitter-ban-nigerians-lose-n150.46bn
Please upload the screenshot were it said Government is spending billions to shut down Twitter undecided
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by AntiBMC(m): 6:10pm On Aug 05, 2021
tutudesz:

Please upload the screenshot were it said Government is spending billions to shut down Twitter undecided

Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by tutudesz: 6:12pm On Aug 05, 2021
AntiBMC:

"The govt is also spending billions of naira everyday, on the tools used for blocking twitter. Let's not forget that."
You stated that Government is spending Billions in blocking Twitter and not Nigeria losing billions
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by tutudesz: 6:15pm On Aug 05, 2021
AntiBMC:

Read what you screenshot slowly, this is a tool used to "estimate"

Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by AntiBMC(m): 6:16pm On Aug 05, 2021
tutudesz:

"The govt is also spending billions of naira everyday, on the tools used for blocking twitter. Let's not forget that."
You stated that Government is spending Billions in blocking Twitter and not Nigeria losing billions

Okay. I'm now adding that also to the comment. Nigerians are losing billions nd d govt is also spending billions to ban twitter. Stop confusing urself. I think I've given you proof for both instances. I'm done arguing.
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by tutudesz: 6:19pm On Aug 05, 2021
AntiBMC:

Okay. I'm now adding that also to the comment. Nigerians are losing billions nd d govt is also spending billions to ban twitter. Stop confusing urself. I think I've given you proof for both instances. I'm done arguing.
Are you saying network provider are been paid to banned Twitter You can banned any site on your phone, just the same way network provider can banned any site too

1 Like

Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by CoolAmbience(m): 6:21pm On Aug 05, 2021
rottennaija:
They are no worried that Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and ton of other social media aren't suspended in Nigeria

Don't mind the dumb Consul General.

Wetin concern am with our rights?

Twitter is just like any other business.

It is within the powers of the FG to suspend or even send Twitter or any other firm packing, just the same way Twitter relied on its power to delete the President's post.

1 Like

Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by ZooOga: 6:47pm On Aug 05, 2021
Madame may be over stepping her job description and responsibilities.

"What does the US Consulate General do?
Consulates provide passport, birth registration and many others services for visiting or resident American citizens in a country. They also have consular sections which issue visas for foreign citizens to visit, study and work in the United States."
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by tricosite(m): 6:49pm On Aug 05, 2021
WandaNara:
Make US come recolonize Nigeria abeg.
Useless government

The Brits are evil

Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by gazza07(m): 7:41pm On Aug 05, 2021
The U.S is mad! They fully endorsed and aided emergency of buhari. They should stop crying wolf and man up their responsibility. I'm beginning to side russia,north korea,Iran, and china
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by jaxxy(m): 8:11pm On Aug 05, 2021
gazza07:
The U.S is mad! They fully endorsed and aided emergency of buhari. They should stop crying wolf and man up their responsibility. I'm beginning to side russia,north korea,Iran, and china

It was Nigerians that voted not Americans. Jonathan did himself not anybody by allowing all manner of grand corruption publicly and doing nothing to show he doesn’t approve of it. Then the cluelessness.

Buhari sadly is worse bt Jonathan was bad.
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 05, 2021
abbey621:

Sorry you're still not making any sense! If Twitter could block Trump, who is Buhari? Joining Twitter means you accepted their terms and conditions, it is you that has refused to use logic rather than sentimental rhetoric. Now to the most ridiculous part of your writeup: "Banning a platform does not amount to banning citizens", it is obvious you're educated but lack critical thinking. Today it is Twitter, tomorrow Facebook? When and where does it stop? Who are you to dictate how people should express their displeasure? You cannot claim to be in a democracy yet use autocratic measures, enlighten yourself and stop this baseless blabbering!

I cant make sense to you as you are brainwashed by the western media and are a mental slave.

you clearly dont understand what the scandanavian president what saying, According to American rules, values and etiquette, twitter may deem it fit to delete trump's post but it is not for them to tell other countries what is appropriate in other countries.
As an example, using the word Nigger is hate speech in the west, it isnt here in Nigeria. I dont have time to respond to you at length but Autocratic is exactly what Twitter is. You need to removes the shackles of enslavement from your mind and have some dignity. Besides there was an agenda against Trump.

I dont like Buhai but FORK Twitter for deleting the post of the President of my country and they should stay banned for all I care. Who the Bleep do they think they are? Some will say it's their platform they can do what they want, thats true but it's also our country and we can do what we want!!!

3 Likes

Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by abbey621(m): 8:25pm On Aug 05, 2021
perambulator:

I cant make sense to you as you are brainwashed by the western media and are a mental slave.

you clearly dont understand what the scandanavian president what saying, According to American rules, values and etiquette, twitter may deem it fit but it is not for them to tell other countries what is appropriate in other countries.
As an example, using the word Nigger is hate speech in the west, it isnt here in Nigeria. I dont have time to respond to you at length but Autocratic is exactly what Twitter is. You need to removes the shackles of enslavement from your mind and have some dignity. Besides there was an agenda against Trump.

I dont like Buhai but FORK Twitter for deleting the post of the President of my country and they should stay banned for all I care. Who the Bleep do they think they are? Some will say it's their platform they can do what they want, thats true but it's also our country and we can do what we want!!!

LMAO....Another ridiculous writeup, dude stop embarrassing yourself! The sooner you realize Twitter is not your father's property, the earlier you'll stop crying and return to your senses. Don't use our platform to promote hate, violence or abuse......What don't you understand about this? Even Nairaland has its rules and people are banned for going against it, so why having a meltdown over Twitter rules? Let me guess, it's not slavery if it is one of your own right? GTFO!
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 05, 2021
abbey621:

LMAO....Another ridiculous writeup, dude stop embarrassing yourself! The sooner you realize Twitter is not your father's property, the earlier you'll stop crying and return to your senses. Don't use our platform to promote hate, violence or abuse......What don't you understand about this? Even Nairaland has its rules and people are banned for going against it, so why having a meltdown over Twitter rules? Let me guess, it's not slavery if it is one of your own right? GTFO!

Nigeria isnt their property too so let everybody hold his own side...is it by force? is face book banned? let them tell China to allow Twitter na!

1 Like

Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by SweetDipBenny(m): 9:08pm On Aug 05, 2021
D should do something about it already
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by abbey621(m): 9:36pm On Aug 05, 2021
perambulator:

Nigeria isnt their property too so let everybody hold his own side...is it by force? is face book banned? let them tell China to allow Twitter na!

Then tell your people to stop begging them or asking the USA and the UN to intervene. Make una enjoy the monster you created and chillax. Since blocking Twitter is not against your fundamental human rights, nothing do you jaare....ENJOY grin grin
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 05, 2021
abbey621:

Then tell your people to stop begging them or asking the USA and the UN to intervene. Make una enjoy the monster you created and chillax. Since blocking Twitter is not against your fundamental human rights, nothing do you jaare....ENJOY grin grin

is it not the same shameless Nigerian spirit with no self respect, dignity, pride or shame that imports everything and produces nothing, that rejects its own but embraces everything foreign that makes them to keep running to USA,UK, EU whenever they have problems as if they are their fathers. Airlines are banned all the time does that mean you cannot travel? Air peace is banned from the Canada, does that mean you cant travel to the Canada. Nigerian flights are banned from the UAE does that mean a Nigerian cant travel to the UAE? does that mean right to free movement has been violated? Twitter is a platform is it the only playform? it is a different this if it were a news organisation, then you could say Nigeria is stiflling the press but twitter themselves along with facebook are the ones that will tell you they are not a news organisation and are not responsible for what is posted on their platforms..so whats the wahala? You cant eat your cake and have it.

Like I said I am no fan of Buhari but dont disrespect the office of the president of my country, by doing so you disrespect me and every Nigerian!!!

Bleep Twitter and all their woke leftist liberal bastards trying to shape the world in their image!!!

Nigerians should try and engage their brains every now and again!!

1 Like

Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by gazza07(m): 9:44pm On Aug 05, 2021
Nigeria voted, yes, jega rigged in buhari's fav. Have you asked yourself why america never sanctioned jegaor any inec official for rigging. Omo e be things! West were against gej
jaxxy:

It was Nigerians that voted not Americans. Jonathan did himself not anybody by allowing all manner of grand corruption publicly and doing nothing to show he doesn’t approve of it. Then the cluelessness.

Buhari sadly is worse bt Jonathan was bad.
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by abbey621(m): 10:03pm On Aug 05, 2021
perambulator:

is it not the same shameless Nigerian spirit with no self respect, dignity, pride or shame that imports everything and produces nothing, that rejects its own but embraces everything foreign that makes them to keep running to USA,UK, EU whenever they have problems as if they are their fathers. Airlines are banned all the time does that mean you cannot travel? Air peace is banned from the Canada, does that mean you cant travel to the Canada. Nigerian flights are banned from the UAE does that mean a Nigerian cant travel to the UAE? does that mean right to free movement has been violated? Twitter is a platform is it the only playform? it is a different this if it were a news organisation, then you could say Nigeria is stiflling the press but twitter themselves along with facebook are the ones that will tell you they are not a news organisation and are not responsible for what is posted on their platforms..so whats the wahala? You cant eat your cake and have it.

Like I said I am no fan of Buhari but dont disrespect the office of the president of my country, by doing so you disrespect me and every Nigerian!!!

Nigerians should try and engage their brains every now and again!!

You keep repeating the same dumb sh*t! It is not about the act itself but the precedence. Today it is Twitter, tomorrow it is Facebook. If you do not see how this does not align with the core principle of democracy then it is hopeless and you're better off arguing with your keyboard. For f*cks sake, the last line of your comment is utter nonsense and you know it! Twitter would not suspend your president in the first place if the citizens did not report him, they would not even blink an eye at Twitter ban by the govt if Nigerians did not constantly message Jack, the USA and the UN. So for you to sit there and type this sh*t is pure comedy and deserving of serious flogging but I have better things to do, don't bother replying, you're now persona non grata, enough of this tomfoolery.....PEACE!
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by ithink7: 10:43pm On Aug 05, 2021
AntiBMC:
The govt is also spending billions of naira everyday, on the tools used for blocking twitter. Let's not forget that.
Are you sure this screenshot is about govt spending and not indirect economic impacts?
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by falcon01: 10:47pm On Aug 05, 2021
Xiaomi1:
thiz meme right?
no! But damn I wished it was this
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by jaxxy(m): 11:42pm On Aug 05, 2021
gazza07:
Nigeria voted, yes, jega rigged in buhari's fav. Have you asked yourself why america never sanctioned jegaor any inec official for rigging. Omo e be things! West were against gej

And where did u confirm that jega rigged? And when did it become America’s job to sanction inec or its chairman?? undecided

Observers on ground and 70% of Nigerians felt it was free and fair bt with some irregularities here and there I accept bt much better than that of previous elections.
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by FoolishBoy419: 11:54pm On Aug 05, 2021
abbey621:

What the guy said is exactly what you are trying to say.

Don't want me on your platform? Fine, get the Bleep out of my country!

It's a clear case of tyranny being replied with tyranny. Besides, threatening terrorists is something that every president and law enforcement officers do, and no tribe or region was mentioned.
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by FoolishBoy419: 12:03am On Aug 06, 2021
perambulator:

I am not a supporter of Buhari but you need to put your primitive sentiments to one side. Who is twitter to remove the post of a president of a country? do you not understand it is an insult to you as a Nigerian? What exactly did Buhari say that warrants a ban? twitter has appropriated to itself the role of moderator, you cannot ban the president od a country while allowing kanu to continuously use your platform for incendiary hate tweets. When did Twitter become world police of speech? Apparently they had been warned but refued to take down his tweets and as soon as they were banned they then deleted some of his tweets. 1 company is not bigger than a country!!!

I dont support Buhari but fork Twitter!!! respect the sovereign country of Nigeria and our constituted president even if the holder of the office is a jack ass!!! BTW for the record, Nigerian Citizens were not banned from using Twitter, Twitter is banned from operating in Nigeria!!!

Banning a platform does not amount to banning citizens , there are other online platforms for airing their views, neither did the Nigerian Govt say citizens are not allowed the air their views. Educated people must show intellecual capacity and critical thinking not act and talk emotionally based on rumours and sentiment. Digest the bolded part. Are you not criticising the govt here on Nairaland, are you banned from doing that? nonsense! have some self respect as a people and stop turning yourselves into western slaves!!!!

These social media companies all have an agenda and if you dont stand up against them before you know they will control your thinking. As president of one of the scandanavian countries said in reaction to the Nigeria twitter ban... (paraphrasing)...."it is not for twitter to determine what is acceptable in another country, what may not be acceptable in the US may be acceptable in other countries and it is not for you to play God".

Don't mind them. Where was human rights when Tiktok was banned from America? This is a clear example of these white men trying to show their supremacy above Africans but unfortunately, we have many idiots that are too blinded by hatred to understand that the whole country is being insulted.

I hope Twitter remains banned forever. You can't complain about freedom of speech while violating that of a whole president of a sovereign nation especially when the post in question didn't violate any rules. Not even once was 'Igbo' or even 'Ipob' mentioned.

2 Likes

Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by abbey621(m): 12:59am On Aug 06, 2021
FoolishBoy419:

What the guy said is exactly what you are trying to say.

Don't want me on your platform? Fine, get the Bleep out of my country!

It's a clear case of tyranny being replied with tyranny. Besides, threatening terrorists is something that every president and law enforcement officers do, and no tribe or region was mentioned.

I don't think you fully grasp the problem here, imagine every social media platform design one set of rules for normal citizens and another set of rules for celebrities/ government officials etc, how would you feel? There's no case of tyranny here when it comes to Twitter, if you went on twitter and directed hate or violence towards anyone you run the risk of being banned, the more popular you are the more the scrutiny because one word or sentence could start war.

Twitter simply stated their platform does not encourage hate, violence or abuse towards ANYONE! If a celeb/governemnt official feels too big or important to conform to their rules then bye bye to jati jati.......The unfortunate thing here is that your government decided to use you and other Nigerians as Twitter's punishment. In a sane world, this would be the bigger issue but in a zoo like 9ja, we have folks like you and the other sule defending your government's action.....Your last sentence really exposes you, I suggest you don't repeat it among intellectuals or the developed world because Nigeria has yet to officially label Igbos as terrorists grin grin.
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by siant: 4:45am On Aug 06, 2021
My heart detest the regime of major general muamadu buhari
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by iPresh4s(m): 6:21am On Aug 06, 2021
The one una do Huawei na wetin?
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by orisa37: 11:50am On Aug 06, 2021
Yes it is. Take NIGERIA to the Hague.
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by FoolishBoy419: 12:46pm On Aug 06, 2021
abbey621:

I don't think you fully grasp the problem here, imagine every social media platform design one set of rules for normal citizens and another set of rules for celebrities/ government officials etc, how would you feel? There's no case of tyranny here when it comes to Twitter, if you went on twitter and directed hate or violence towards anyone you run the risk of being banned, the more popular you are the more the scrutiny because one word or sentence could start war.

Twitter simply stated their platform does not encourage hate, violence or abuse towards ANYONE! If a celeb/governemnt official feels too big or important to conform to their rules then bye bye to jati jati.......The unfortunate thing here is that your government decided to use you and other Nigerians as Twitter's punishment. In a sane world, this would be the bigger issue but in a zoo like 9ja, we have folks like you and the other sule defending your government's action.....Your last sentence really exposes you, I suggest you don't repeat it among intellectuals or the developed world because Nigeria has yet to officially label Igbos as terrorists grin grin.

They don't condone threats to anyone right? Very good. Then why did they allow Namdi Kanu's numerous threats to stand? (And only acted after Nigeria's sanction) Why did they allow Trump threats against North Koreans to stand? They only went against him when he started saying things that their ears didn't want. Likew

They did what they had the power to do and the government also did what it has the power to do. Why then are you crying? Twitter claims to value freedom of speech but asking a single question about the Holocaust or talking about American atrocities in the middle east can get you banned. They are just tyrants who run to hide behind human rights when faced with superior tyranny.
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by orisa37: 1:45pm On Aug 06, 2021
COOOOORECT.
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by abbey621(m): 4:21pm On Aug 06, 2021
FoolishBoy419:

They don't condone threats to anyone right? Very good. Then why did they allow Namdi Kanu's numerous threats to stand? (And only acted after Nigeria's sanction) Why did they allow Trump threats against North Koreans to stand? They only went against him when he started saying things that their ears didn't want. Likew

They did what they had the power to do and the government also did what it has the power to do. Why then are you crying? Twitter claims to value freedom of speech but asking a single question about the Holocaust or talking about American atrocities in the middle east can get you banned. They are just tyrants who run to hide behind human rights when faced with superior tyranny.

Show me the official Twitter account of Nnamdi Kanu and the tweets showing he threatened anyone. Same goes for Trump, anytime Trump had said something remotely close to violence, the tweets were either deleted or his account shadow banned. No system is perfect and you're still missing how Twitter works. People are banned most of the time because their tweet was reported, so rather than being angry at Twitter, ask yourself what could make people so angry about Buhari's tweet? Remove the cobweb from your eyes and perhaps you'll see more clearly.
Re: United States: Twitter's Suspension In Nigeria Is A Violation Of Human Rights by FoolishBoy419: 3:13pm On Aug 08, 2021
abbey621:

Show me the official Twitter account of Nnamdi Kanu and the tweets showing he threatened anyone. Same goes for Trump, anytime Trump had said something remotely close to violence, the tweets were either deleted or his account shadow banned. No system is perfect and you're still missing how Twitter works. People are banned most of the time because their tweet was reported, so rather than being angry at Twitter, ask yourself what could make people so angry about Buhari's tweet? Remove the cobweb from your eyes and perhaps you'll see more clearly.

Nothing happened to his account after this tweet and no, Tweets aren't only deleted when reported. That applies to average users like you and I but for someone as high profile and verified as Donald Trump, a report isn't necessary.

In the case of Namdi Kanu, many people reported him but no action was taken until after their asses were banned.

I also remember many of us reporting DJSwitch for peddling false information but nothing was done and no 72 bodies were found!

Even as EndSars was degenerating into chaos, looting and jail breakouts, twitter maintained its support but they took an EXACTLY opposite action when the capitol was attacked. Isn't that hypocrisy? Nigeria can burn but US shouldn't?

Their action is a typical example of tyranny. It's the best thing this failed government has done in many years.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ihedioha: More Resignations Continue To Hit Imo PDP / Ogun State Governors Till Date / Edo: How Bayelsa Verdict Weighs Against Oshiomhole - The Guardian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.