Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,909 members, 7,872,948 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:05 AM

I Just Declined A Good Upwork Invitation. Here’s Why - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Just Declined A Good Upwork Invitation. Here’s Why (427 Views)

What Investment Can I Start Up With 500k As I Just Lost My Job / I Just Lost My Job !!! / Is My Boss Diabolic Or Am I Just Being Superstitious? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Just Declined A Good Upwork Invitation. Here’s Why by Clickguy44: 5:00pm On Aug 11, 2021
So I recently received a really nice invitation to apply for a job on Upwork…

The job sounded interesting (and a good fit for my skills)…

The client seemed nice, with a solid Upwork history that proves they are a serious client…

Even the invitation itself contained a nice message written to me personally.

Seems like a dream situation, right?

And yet, I declined it almost immediately.

Can you guess why?

It’s not because I was too busy (although I am pretty busy - but might be able to work in one more “dream client” at the moment)…

And as I already noted it’s not because the client didn’t seem pleasant, or the job didn’t sound interesting, or anything like that!

Now you might be thinking, “ok, the client must have had some bad reviews in their history, right??”

And the answer to that is also no!

They did not have a single bad review from any of the freelancers they’ve hired in the past… Nor did they leave any bad reviews for freelancers in the past!

“Alright, what gives then?!”

Fine, I’ll tell you. smiley

The client had a habit I didn’t like.

And that habit was this: Even though he’d hired a lot of freelancers, he did not leave a single one of them a REALLY GOOD or GREAT review.

Many of his reviews were just star ratings without any words. And when he did write words, it was usually just a short sentence or two - nothing really eye-catching.

Now when I’m working on Upwork, I am always aiming to get a GREAT review. And I usually get it.

Of course, I don’t get it every time - no one does. Once in a blue moon, a client doesn’t leave a review, and sometimes they just leave a “GOOD” review instead of a great one.

But still, I am always AIMING to get a great review because great reviews help to SELL clients on hiring you. They are extremely valuable.

And with this client, I was suspicious that that would be impossible because it looked an awful lot like he just had a HABIT of leaving MEDIOCRE reviews.

That’s fine - that’s his choice - but I don’t want to work with a client if I don’t at least have a shot at getting that great review.

Now you might say, “Well, maybe he just didn’t think any of those freelancers did a good enough job for him to leave them a great review!”

Maybe - but from reading his reviews that is not the feeling I got. It seemed like he was genuinely happy with a lot of them, but for whatever reason was unable or unwilling to take the time to write them a really nice review.

Now maybe if he were the only client on Upwork, I might just take a chance and work with him.

But…

He’s not. smiley

There are millions of clients on Upwork…

So why would I possibly lower my standards when there is absolutely no need to?

That would be like going to the grocery store and buying a half-rotten apple…when there are tons of beautiful shiny perfect apples just sitting there! (Maybe not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea.)

I have high standards for my freelancing business. And I encourage you to set high standards for yours, too.

If you don’t do it, I promise you that no one else will do it for you!

You are the only one who can do it.

So do it. smiley

That’s all for now…

Keep Freelancing To Win…

-Clickguy44

PS: Want to Create an approved Upwork account + free materials to get started, Click here to get started
+++ https:///3jPF8dX +++ Copy and paste the link on your browser to chat with me on whatsapp.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Earn In Dollars,spend In Naira / Four High Income Skills That Can Replace Your Job Before The End Of The Year / One Thing A Man Must Achieved By Age 30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.