Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,681 members, 7,905,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 01:16 PM

Linux - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux (522 Views)

Updated Keyboard Shortcuts For Linux / Kali Linux Grub Rescue / Kali Linux Advantages & Disadvantages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Linux by tangoalpharomeo: 5:39pm On Aug 12, 2021
I have a Sony Vaio PC. Blazing fast. That is, if you say "blazing fast" in 2001.

Here are the specs for some context �:
▶️ CPU: Intel Pentium 1.0 GHz
▶️ RAM: 512MB (0.5 GB) of very slow DDR[1/2]
▶️ Storage: 150GB HDD

This PC was released just after Windows XP. You can probably imagine how ancient it is. It doesn't even have a webcam, probably because there was no use for it at the time. � Did I mention that it also came with a floppy disk drive? �

You're probably starting to get the idea; this
thing is old. But incase you're not, I've left the name and an image of it below. �

Where was I? Oh yeah, I was just about to describe my issue, before I got derailed describing how junky it is. ANYWAY, Windows 7 was installed on it a while back (I don't know why, I was a small child then �).

As you'd expect, Windows 7 is running TERRIBLY on it. You literally can't open two windows at the same time, unless it's Notepad and Paint, or something like that. The system won't play videos because it doesn't have enough Video Memory for that. It's just awful.

So I want to install Linux on it. I'm just not sure which distro I can/should use on it. And I don't care, as long as the distro is fast (relatively speaking, of course �) and is still being actively developed and updated, for security reasons.

Can someone point me in the right direction about all this? I've never encountered Linux in my life, so this is a brand new territory for me.

And incase you're wondering why the hell I don't just burn it, it holds sentimental value to us. It can be considered a family heirloom at this point �. And IT STILL WORKS. Plus, I do like to use it for some things, such as browsing.

I think that's all of it. Thanks in advance. And any advice is extremely appreciated! �

Name: Sony Vaio VGN-
Image:

(1) (Reply)

Asus Zenbook 13 Core I5 7th Gen 256gb 8gb Checkout / How To Make Silicone Keyboard Cover Stick / Laptop For Sale With 3g Multilinks Broad Band 55k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.