Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,102 members, 7,880,433 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 06:12 PM

Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition (14542 Views)

Poll: Is it ok for them to do this sort of thing?

Yes, I support it.: 15% (17 votes)
No, it's a mistake.: 84% (96 votes)
This poll has ended

Are You A Pervert? Take This Test To Find Out.. / Try This Simple Test To Know If You Have A Weird Mind / See Covenant University Mobile Phone Outlaw Undertaking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by oyeb2003: 2:24pm On Jul 19, 2007
I can't believe that despite the campaign going on around the whole country or perhaps the whole world about indiscrimination to HIV positive students, a school (an higher institution for that matter) can still be insisting on being negative to HIV.

I am indifferent to their testing negative to the pregnancy test but that of HIV is utterly bad. This is not even a case of their being a glorified secondary school but a total case of ignorance on the part of the administration of the school.

I hope someone out there will please tell them that HIV is not only contacted through sexual means if perhaps they want to produce saints and scholars as they pronounce, testing positive to HIV does not make the person a sinner.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by adewaleafolabi(m): 5:21pm On Jul 19, 2007
Well when i read this in the papers i felt bitter and was so angry. I can't believe how naive the school has turned and the students don't know that the action of the school is against the bible they claim to follow. I read that if someone tests positive to HIV then they wouldn't allow the person to graduate until he receives his miracle. Did Jesus ever forced someone to get healed ? rather they begged Him to please heal them. am so lucky that i don't have to go to that crazy place for school o
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 20, 2007
yh i read it nd i was so mad.itz so discriminatin.the pregnancy thingy is even mch beta dan the hiv one.dnt they knw dt it cud be contracted thru oda meanz besidez sex.omg.look how they'd terminate or jeopardize d lives of these children who mite nt knw shit bout it.mehn datz bullshit!!!
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 20, 2007
adewaleafolabi:

Well when i read this in the papers i felt bitter and was so angry.

Why? Because a PRIVATE school chooses to maintain a criteria that may not be suitable to all and sundry?

adewaleafolabi:

I can't believe how naive the school has turned and the students don't know that the action of the school is against the bible they claim to follow.

Really? Did the bible say anything about HIV?

adewaleafolabi:

I read that if someone tests positive to HIV then they wouldn't allow the person to graduate until he receives his miracle.

Are you very sure of this? If i read the author's post very well he was wondering why the school would demand a negative HIV test from students as a criteria for admission.
I dont think this is a far fetched decision, even the US embassy refuses to grant HIV positive individuals immigrant visas. It is all about protecting themselves. I would imagine the school wont want to be in a situation where they'd be forced to provide costly medical care for students who end up testing positive. Besides how many students who are positive will reveal their status to their peers so they can take precaution?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by nguage(m): 9:41pm On Jul 20, 2007
davidylan, it is called discrimination! I really dont give a damn, the American embassy does the same. HIV positive people are not allowed to travel.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by busygirl(f): 11:47pm On Jul 20, 2007
tHAT'S WHY bABCOCK IS better! The school supplies those living with HIV free drugs wink
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jul 20, 2007
@ n-guage, its easy to sit in our armchairs and cry about discrimination since we dont have to deal with the consequences. If you were an immigration official will you allow an HIV positive individual to immigrate to ur country and automatically become a liability and a drain on already strained health services?

Admitting an HIV positive student is a huge risk especially to other unsuspecting students. I'm sure if you were a student of Covenant you'd be heaving a sigh of relief.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by nguage(m): 12:38am On Jul 21, 2007
I really don't care, what I don't like is the hypocrisy. The American government is always talking about human rights. Homosexual rights, Animal rights etc
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by honeric01(m): 1:53am On Jul 21, 2007
That's why it's called a private school, that's what they want, they don't want liability
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by raphillo: 2:22am On Jul 21, 2007
those living with HIV are still part of our society, why should they be deny admission because they are tested positive, its high time we stop discriminating against those living with HIV because they are still part of our society.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by honeric01(m): 2:31am On Jul 21, 2007
they didn't say people coming in, they said people going out, so if you come into covenant university as positive, be ready to stay in there until you are negative, accommodating
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by dominobaby(f): 1:09pm On Jul 21, 2007
How then do you become negative before leaving?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by legovo(m): 4:29pm On Jul 21, 2007
Going through all the write ups, Everyone is free to express whatever they got in mind, but why saying trash when you don't really know their aims and objective.
Some just write for idle sake, misinterpreting viltal goals.
For instance,
You happen to be a baker, after baking bread, you test your bake to determine whether its good for consumption or not, and wont hesitate to eliminate anything in the bread that is poison to the eater ?
It's real in life that sometimes you don't always get what want, but some don't still give it up.
Covenant uni. Knows this and knows what the world holds for them, thats why they come up with different ideas to help get their output right.
By the way, do you know what happens to the fellows that fails any "test" ?
So why the talks.
Covenant uni. is all out to help them become Outstanding Gradute with a real i.D to occupy Leadership Positions in the nearest future, and not just a nigeria "gradute ".
This sch is a glorified sch,That sch is a pry sch, This sch is excuting, mudering, jumping,, Shh !
GiVE THE DeaL a break ! When will this people be matured in thinking & reasoning, and stop the classification thing to school generally in our nation ? come on, Grow up!
Covenant uni. is not a freelance uni., the students and parents knew they must comply, before they paid their first fee, its no jackpot deal !
In Covenant uni, Freedom is controlled, and liberty without limitation is captivity in disguise. For power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by ladykay(f): 2:36pm On Jul 22, 2007
le govo:

For instance,
You happen to be a baker, after baking bread, you test your bake to determine whether its good for consumption or not, and wont hesitate to eliminate anything in the bread that is poison to the eater ?

Covenant uni. is all out to help them become Outstanding Gradute with a real i.D to occupy Leadership Positions in the nearest future, and not just a nigeria "gradute ".

Covenant uni. is not a freelance uni., the students and parents knew they must comply, before they paid their first fee, its no jackpot deal !
In Covenant uni, Freedom is controlled, and liberty without limitation is captivity in disguise. For power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Le govo, are u a student of CU? You were almost quoting Oyedepo word for word.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Gamine(f): 5:06pm On Jul 24, 2007
So whut is wrong in taking a test

An institution asks u to do so, u do so
or u get away from their face

Whut is wrong with u pple!!!

i reli dont blame y'all
the normal man hates rules which r better for him
which wont kill him,

Just dont try n make it seem like they r asking for smtin unobtainable
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by seun001(m): 7:09pm On Jul 25, 2007
seems the poster did not really give the real scenerio of wots happening in the school.
part of the graduating guidelines is to go for a pregnancy test and HIV test b4 you are confirmed a graduate of the school or cleared for NYSC.

it aint funny cos this is absolute rubbish.funny enough,when their chancellor was asked what will be done to people the were positive he artfully dogded the question without giving an appropriate answer.the talk that u wont leave until u get ur miracle is rubbish.

is he turing himself into GOD,or what.is he himself not the absolute power that has corrupted himself absolutely.
theres always the chance of coming in negative and leaving positive cos it aint only thru sexual contact that u can contact HIV.

i know a couple of guys and gals that go to that school and am sure if their chancellor were to know their behaviour and vices he will have an heart attack.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 7:13pm On Jul 25, 2007
@ le govo

we need some disclosure statment as to your position in this university.

It's ok to be the PRO, but we just have to know.

It's called public disclosure!

CU, as one of the new private universities is free to carve out an ideaology for themselves.

Most importantly, those idealogies must not be in conflict with the principles of fair-play, human right, and equal opportunity.

I'm not going to condenm or praise this policy, but as a student of history, let us look back and see how many great minds impacted history despite having an otherwise diseased body.

1. Beethoven- deaf
2. Albert Einstein- dyslxic, and unable to read
3. Theodore Koch- infected with TB, just like HIV at a time there was no known cure
4. Steven Hawkins- advanced musclar dystrophy, unable to use almost any muscle in his body, today.
5. Etc

With a stupid and myopic policy like the one we are discussing, I'm sure each and everyone of these people would have failed CU admission criteria in their time.

When you consider that most World's greatest universities Like Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Paris, etc would never enact such a policy, then you would understand that Convenant University or whatever they call themselves are never going to be great, especially with such screwed-up policy making philosophy.

Time will tell.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by ebos(m): 7:16pm On Jul 25, 2007
You will only cry if that's the only University in the country. But in this case, there are many other private universities, not to talk of state or federal ones
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 25, 2007
first of all(correct me if I'm wrong, ) i heard that the school will not GRADUATE  (not admit)students with hiv/pregnancy.

going by the arguments put forth, all i can say is this

you are all justifying what banks do when they tell people they cannot get pregnant or get married and when they test prospective staffers for HIV. this is discrimination in every sense of the word.

davidylan:

Are you very sure of this? If i read the author's post very well he was wondering why the school would demand a negative HIV test from students as a criteria for admission.
I don't think this is a far fetched decision, even the US embassy refuses to grant HIV positive individuals immigrant visas. It is all about protecting themselves. I would imagine the school wont want to be in a situation where they'd be forced to provide costly medical care for students who end up testing positive. Besides how many students who are positive will reveal their status to their peers so they can take precaution?

in the united states, the shirt would be sued off convenant  university.bunch of pompous hypocrites.instead of giving a man/woman a hand up, they're shoving him deeper in the dirt!

I'm suprised to hear you, who are supposed to be in a medical related field, sputtering such crap, advocating discrimination.maybe if the people at the embassy(or the school) decided that they wouldn't let you in because you were a nigerian.

it seems to me tha convenant wants to raise its students in a vacuum. so u go to a school with no hiv positive colleagues.well the world outside is full of them. so, if students in convenant are promioscuos, they'll pick the habit of unprotected sex because of their environment .

a guy who always spouts about women's rights, and you ar defending this discrimination?

i see the pregnancy thing as punishment for getting caugh t(the clearset sign that you've been up to something). so, gals get punished for promiscuity, but guys go scot free. seems to me as if they want to force their students into a more dangerous sin (abortion)

anyway na you biko lipsrsealed
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by angel101(f): 8:07pm On Jul 25, 2007
It is very disgraceful. I cant even believe it!
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by monkeyleg: 8:13pm On Jul 25, 2007
If this is true, as it may well be. Then just as usual we have got the whole thing wrong again.

Nigeria, is very very good at chasing the wrong goals. It the bigger context, how deos this help the country? It smacks from left to right of downright discrimination, and the president should do himslef the honourable thing and shut the stupid school down.

We might be in a free society, but you do not discriminate on people based on Age, sex, Sexual preference, illness or anything else.

Sick society we live in
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by niyyie(m): 7:44pm On Jul 25, 2007
Ladies and gentlemen, please remember to always quote your news source. We outside Nigeria don't have a means of reading Nigerian daily newspapers.

About the issue, if it is indeed a true story, it is very bad on the part of the school and this must be condemned.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 25, 2007
oyb:

first of all(correct me if I'm wrong, ) i heard that the school will not GRADUATE (not admit)students with hiv/pregnancy.

going by the arguments put forth, all i can say is this

you are all justifying what banks do when they tell people they cannot get pregnant or get married and when they test prospective staffers for HIV. this is discrimination in every sense of the word.

in the united states, the shirt would be sued off convenant university.bunch of pompous hypocrites.instead of giving a man/woman a hand up, they're shoving him deeper in the dirt!

I'm suprised to hear you, who are supposed to be in a medical related field, sputtering such crap, advocating discrimination.maybe if the people at the embassy(or the school) decided that they wouldn't let you in because you were a nigerian.

it seems to me tha convenant wants to raise its students in a vacuum. so u go to a school with no hiv positive colleagues.well the world outside is full of them. so, if students in convenant are promioscuos, they'll pick the habit of unprotected sex because of their environment .

a guy who always spouts about women's rights, and you ar defending this discrimination?

i see the pregnancy thing as punishment for getting caugh t(the clearset sign that you've been up to something). so, gals get punished for promiscuity, but guys go scot free. seems to me as if they want to force their students into a more dangerous sin (abortion)

anyway na you biko lipsrsealed

shocking but for the first time on nairaland,I agree 100% with Oyb.
This is sooooooooo wrong.
Most girls who get pregnant are no worse than those who don't, infact they have higher morals and prefer to have the baby than have abortions.
I have seen a friends roommate almost bleed to death from complications from an abortion.

If a school can send someone packing because of HIV,what about hepatitis whose chances of contracting it is even higher?
This school has gone to far.
Covenant my calloused foot!! grin
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 7:49pm On Jul 25, 2007
without a ref. source, I just hope that somehow the story does not turn out to be true.

Which is worse: not getting accepted because one is preg. or has HIV, or not being allowed to graduate because of these 2 conditions?

What's next, test of vaginity?

Administered by the pastor himself?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Caradona(f): 8:54pm On Jul 25, 2007
@ TOPIC

I think its discrimination and a cover-up.
Students are getting pregnant or getting diseases like HIV from randy Professors
and getting expelled for it and they're left to bang more students.
Hmmmm, I smell something fishy and its not their behinds, I'm smelling.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by RiffRaff: 8:57pm On Jul 25, 2007
angry that is bullshit, some body better do something about this.
God! 'm so pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 25, 2007
SHHH covenant univ students r here, live it dont touch it,
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by WesleyanA(f): 9:28pm On Jul 25, 2007
this is shocking. I'm really mad right now.

the pregnant girl doesn't graduate, and the "impregnator" goes scot free or do they do DNA tests to confirm the father of the baby?

it's a university too not a primary school. those kids are 18-22. why can't they be pregnant if they want to be?

and why are they discriminating against people with HIV?

just tell me this is a conservative religious school (aka backward school) and everything will make total sense. but right now, this makes no sense.

spouts about women's rights my foot. lol he only does that when he's trying to attack muslims.
he's the #1 anti-women's rights advocate on nairaland. lipsrsealed
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by daprince: 10:05pm On Jul 25, 2007
Davidylan, what kind of reasoning was that? Damn dude! I know we all are entitled to our opinions, but how's dismissing students from a college because of their health status rational? What has the US.'s policy on granting people visas got to do with getting a "quality" education? Just like n-gauge and some other people stated, it is an outright discrimination to dismiss HIV positive students from school. Does Harvard or any other elite private universities send people away because of their health status? Just call what CU is doing what it is, DISCRIMINATION rather than trying to justify what is freaking wrong! Or do u have any stakes at CU?

No hating, just pissed at your attitude sometimes
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 10:27pm On Jul 25, 2007
If this policy goes unchallanged in a court of law by affected students, the next step will definitely be The Most Holy Pastor himself, glove in hand checking small girls for their vaginity, because he could let them graduate disvirgined.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by otokx(m): 10:33pm On Jul 25, 2007
Anyone that is not comfortable with this policy can go to other universities; this is the beauty of democracy.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Seun(m): 10:38pm On Jul 25, 2007
How I wish it was so. Unfortunately, we don't have enough universities in Nigeria. This may have something to do with the fact that starting a new university requires the president's personal approval.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Federal University Of Agriculture, Abeokuta(funaab) Students Lets Meet Here / Six Reasons Why You Should Attend Private Universities / NDDC 2017 POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION OPEN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.