Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,733 members, 7,938,278 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 09:20 PM

Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? (7846 Views)

Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / Components To Avoid When Washing A Car Engine / Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by mastro: 7:19pm On May 24, 2011
Quote from: Piedpiper on Today at 12:21:26 PM
See criminal !!  Grin
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-421922.32.html  "" i previously used the thread for a 2003 model, but this present one is a 2004 platinum edition""
After being caught out in a lie, he has posted another pix and now talks as if this was the original posted picture.
Little man do not play games with me ok. This is not the car you touted originally as platinum edition so  Shocked
I thought you were intelligent, but i was wrong. Sorry for responding to the wrong person.

This is exactly the kind of "car dealer" we are talking about, un_limited better stop with the unlimited lies, when in a hole stop digging.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by unlimited2(m): 9:51pm On May 24, 2011
mastro:

I thought you were intelligent, but i was wrong. Sorry for responding to the wrong person.

This is exactly the kind of "car dealer" we are talking about, un_limited better stop with the unlimited lies, when in a hole stop digging.
did you click the link at all? Or you are just being unintelligent like the person you quoted
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by mastro: 10:19am On May 26, 2011
I should probably obey the maxim about arguing with a fool*,  but this exactly what we are talking about, misleading advertisements, why would an honest dealer change cars mid thread and not simply create a new post?

More importantly what happened to the original pictures? you are obviously not only dishonest but stupid as well.

* he will drag you down and beat you on experience
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Fhemmmy: 1:13pm On May 27, 2011
I am Sorry that this is not about Automobile, but i just think this is a sample advertisement that easily mislead people.
Enjoy the thread and spot the problem.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-676650.0.html
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Joy2Dwise: 3:08pm On May 27, 2011
amdman:

I went carshopping on Saturday from leads generated from Nairaland and my experience was at best traumatic. Since dem say make we no call names of dealers, at least I will mention the cars.

1. Headed first to this popular dealer's place at Agidingbi, Lagos to check out some cars mentioned. General observation was that the used ones were much more battered than loudly proclaimed in here. In fact, there is this Mercedes ML 430 with DVD on headrest - the DVDs were already pulling out of the headrest, and the entire system including audio was not functioning - e be dey work before was their answer. Then the interior that looked so heavenly in pics was so dirty. Their response was that the car wash guys will work magic and so on. My thinking was that if you are selling a product, why not make it look its cleanest to make it more attractive? Lets forget the body o!

Again, the ML was said to be 03/04, but on further checks, it was actually manufactured in1998, and that was a general observation in all cars checked.

2. I then went to check this Rover 75. The car was clean inside and out, but when I say make I test drive, the steering was vibrating in my hands and I was hearing lots of noise from the wheels. The guy started this story of how I would have to change the front shock absorbers at N6,000 but later checks at the parts shop put the price at N15,000. I think these guys just like to lie!

3. Next stop was a 2007 Ford Windstar. Because I really liked this car, I conducted some research online and discovered that Ford stopped production of the Windstar in 2003 and came out with Freestar afterwards, and so i was really wondering how this guy had a 2007 Windstar. When I got there, behold it was a 2002 model!

4. I eventually settled for this toks Ford Explorer 2000 that I found in a dealer's shop and made a deposit cos I didn't think it wise to carry so much money on my person on a weekend. They are supposed to deliver the car at my office this morning and collect the balance, but I got a call like 6am this morning from a guy who says he is the actual owner of the car that the price I paid is not what he asked the dealer to sell for. I just told him thats his stuff to sort out with the dealer and not me, cos I have a receipt showing that the car has been sold to me even though I have a balance to pay. I be lawyer so make dem no try me!

My general impression of these dealers is that they are basically dishonest - that is they are not your friends that will watch your back. You do the watching and be on guard. Then their customer service level is sooooooooooooooo bad!!!!!!!

Make I no talk too much!

Did I hear U say Agidimgbi, Ikeja? Well, you are lucky that you did not buy any of those piece of dead traps this guy sells as Nija used. I waisted a whole day getting there last month to purchase an advertised Nissan Altima for a friend who has been on my neck to assist him in buying a used car. They have to remove a battery from another car to start it. When I asked why the ac is not working, they said it only needs gas. The knocking sound and oil leaks from the engine tells tells me that it needs a total overhaul. The interior was in a total mess. I checked all the used cars this guy was displaying in a bid to get a better alternative and I was shocked how human beings can be so heartless in placing other peoples lives at risk. I did a background check and was shocked to hear that these guys even connive with your mechanics to con buyers into buying these scraps.  I am not exaggerating here because I have a proof.

What angered me most was that when I asked the condition of the car before coming on that fateful day, the guy told me that it is in a perfect condition. Though his thread is all over Nairalist & Nairaland, I have vowed not to pay any attention to them. It surprised me when I see SOLD on that Altima and I pray that the owner of this car will not have the kind of life threatening experience I had with my first car. How will you forgive yourself if you sell something that eventually took away the life of your fellow man? May God have mercy on us.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by cbr600ff: 3:47pm On May 27, 2011
A friend too had a bitter experience dealing with a "POPULAR" Nairaland dealer based in Agidingbi. I have a feeling its the same fellow Joy2Dwise and Amdman are referring to.  angry angry angry angry
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by chelseabmw(m): 8:28am On May 29, 2011
This thread is really an eye opener
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Fixed: 4:36pm On Jun 10, 2011
A friend requested me to get him an 04/05 accord. I posted a request on nairaland and asked dealers to forward details of what they have in stock to my email address with prices, pictures, mileage and VIN. All the dealers provided everything but the VIN, I mean to a seller's personal email box! After mounting pressure on some of the dealers, they provided the VINs. Believe you me, NONE of these cars came out clean. One of the dealers even told me the car has been sold only to type "still available " the following morning. I was surprised that a whole lot of the EODs with great looking pictures are accidented or had their odometer rolled back. It is not an offence to sell an accidented vehicle, but it is fraudulent not to declare the state of such vehicle and it is the height of robbery to even attempt to sell such as a "veeery clean mint condition 2005 EOD".

Another big one is that a number of dealers on NL are actually agents. Again nothing is wrong with running an agency. Findings usually show that some don't even know much about the vehicle or the history of the vehicle they are selling other than the amount the owner wants to sell it and their cut. It's when you get to the car stand that they start making calls and other contacts. At times they don't even know if thecar they are advertising has been sold or not.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by mastro: 7:03pm On Jun 10, 2011
what would be useful would be naming and shaming, if a dealer that advertises on here misleads you then come back to the forum and say so.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by BizBooks(m): 7:51pm On Jun 10, 2011
A few years ago people were using EbayMotors.com as a dumping ground for all manner of junk cars. Back then, it was a common practice for shady dealers to buy junk cars from salvage auctions and sell them on Ebay to un-suspecting buyers. To stem that ugly tide, the management of Ebay made a very smart decision. They started providing VIN reports for every car listed on their site at their own expense. So if you put up a car for sale on Ebay now, the VIN report will be automatically displayed along with your ad.

That singular act chased away most of the shady dealers and restored buyers' confidence on Ebay Motors. The point I'm trying to make here is that it is not enough to keep saying "Buyer Beware" as many people have been saying here. The owners of NL have to make some effort to give this place a good name. In the absence of that, things will continue to deteriorate.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by cretin: 11:11pm On Jun 10, 2011
the vin thing is just new to nigerians, the average nigerian doesnt know and doesnt care about checking a cars vin history before buying.thank God for nairaland, it has exposed a lot of people to things they didnt know abt cars and vin report
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by mohid(m): 6:08pm On Jul 12, 2011
This thread is a shot in the foot to all genuine car dealers on this forum if u don’t call names.Cos if i intend to buy a car but don’t know who the shady dealers are and i am certain they do exist from all your posts on this thread, guess what? i would avoid this forum like a plague.From your responses they are all in here somewhere, I guess its the Naija way,we are our "brother's keeper" even when the brother's a fraud!!!
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by cretin: 7:57pm On Jul 12, 2011
mohid:

This thread is a shot in the foot to all genuine car dealers on this forum if u don’t call names.Cos if i intend to buy a car but don’t know who the shady dealers are and i am certain they do exist from all your posts on this thread, guess what? i would avoid this forum like a plague.From your responses they are all in here somewhere, I guess its the Naija way,we are our "brother's keeper" even when the brother's a fraud!!!

@mohid, yeah u made an astute observation!. do remeber to run a vin report of any vehicle u wanna buy!.

i can help you run the vin report, when ever you are game.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by IchieMexe: 2:20pm On Jul 14, 2011
People we need the names of these guys so we can avoid them in the future. You guys a making this a catch-22 scenario, where you know the crooks but would still allow people to be robbed
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by mohid(m): 4:13pm On Jul 14, 2011
my thots exactly, until these fraudsters are named.Folks would be wary of doing biz on NL.i actually just called off a deal cos the guy's location is somewhere around the Agidingbi/Ikeja axis and i ve no idea if he's the fraud been referred to on the thread.Better safe than sorry.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by blank(f): 12:51pm On Sep 07, 2011
Any more?
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:06pm On Sep 09, 2011
blank:

Any more?

YEs!! I pre-ordered a Lincoln Navigator from the US and when it arrive after all the papers were done, the dealer drove a Keke Napep to my front-door proudly handing me the keys and asked to be camerered for Nairaland Dealer of the year !!! grin
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by CLASSMAN: 8:01pm On Sep 09, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

YEs!! I pre-ordered a Lincoln Navigator from the US and when it arrive after all the papers were done, the dealer drove a Keke Napep to my front-door proudly handing me the keys and asked to be camerered for Nairaland Dealer of the year !!! grin

grin grin grin grin i cant laugh here o
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Andrew3(m): 9:06am On Sep 10, 2011
OOOH I had considered ignoring this thread but i must put it here for others to see

some time ago i was desperate to own ma first car, only for me to ignorantly walk into
A big car stand at Julius berger in lagos desperate to go with a good car. That place
is inundated with gang of snipers with deadly efficacy and exactitude in the name of
Car dealership. you need to see the archaic 1994 Mitsubishi lancer i was given as a tokunbo
Driven and re modified as a tokunbo. Just as if a charm was used on me, i never knew when
I paid 600k, paid 25k for registration there at the park, paid 5k to take the car out. b4 payment
The dealer told me he will replace tires, wiper one had broken, side mirror all were faulty, looking
like a real tokunbo. Immidiatly i paid everybody vanished leaving me with the agberos. Ignorant about the custom
papers, i embarked on ma way back to ph havent spent about 922k including fixing an ac, every checkpoint, i discoverd that a new fault was found on ma papers, un recorded info, missing dates and all that, I got to ph haven spent about a total 1.1 on a old 1992 mitsubishi lancer repainted. the whole under was rusted. my seat almost removed me from under was i was in motion, with parts dropping whenever on speed. Wel seemed i made a choice for ma self but i just want every first timer to learn from ma mistake.

Any car dealer that tells u when you pay i will change the tire on mirror is a cheat, he wont change.
I went to cotonou to get another car with a soldier, i choosed a mazda millenia with texas plate number all spare parts were given to me by the arab man on tower. Very bad experience with nigerian can dealers, ended up begging a buyer to buy the lancer in ph at 300k after 3 months of use, haven changed brain box 4 times in the three months.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by eros(m): 3:05pm On Sep 10, 2011
::Andrew:::

OOOH I had considered ignoring this thread but i must put it here for others to see

some time ago i was desperate to own ma first car, only for me to ignorantly walk into
A big car stand at Julius berger in lagos desperate to go with a good car. That place
is inundated with gang of snipers with deadly efficacy and exactitude in the name of
Car dealership. you need to see the archaic 1994 Mitsubishi lancer i was given as a tokunbo
Driven and re modified as a tokunbo. Just as if a charm was used on me, i never knew when
I paid 600k, paid 25k for registration there at the park, paid 5k to take the car out. b4 payment
The dealer told me he will replace tires, wiper one had broken, side mirror all were faulty, looking
like a real tokunbo. Immidiatly i paid everybody vanished leaving me with the agberos. Ignorant about the custom
papers, i embarked on ma way back to ph havent spent about 922k including fixing an ac, every checkpoint, i discoverd that a new fault was found on ma papers, un recorded info, missing dates and all that, I got to ph haven spent about a total 1.1 on a old 1992 mitsubishi lancer repainted. the whole under was rusted. my seat almost removed me from under was i was in motion, with parts dropping whenever on speed. Wel seemed i made a choice for ma self but i just want every first timer to learn from ma mistake.

Any car dealer that tells u when you pay i will change the tire on mirror is a cheat, he wont change.
I went to cotonou to get another car with a soldier, i choosed a mazda millenia with texas plate number all spare parts were given to me by the arab man on tower. Very bad experience with nigerian can dealers, ended up begging a buyer to buy the lancer in ph at 300k after 3 months of use, haven changed brain box 4 times in the three months.

Andrew, i must say you learnt the hard way. This is one of the beauty of Nairaland, you can be a car expert by just reading through some of the educational threads on here and know so much about cars.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by ziccoit: 3:27pm On Sep 10, 2011
Thank you all for the educative expositions. I am learning already.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by eros(m): 3:40pm On Sep 10, 2011
I wonder why the honest and EDUCATED car dealers never get the most customers. At LausDeo Global Auto Sales, customer satisfaction is our number one priority. We believe referrals make our business grow. So we do our best to please every customer that buys a car from us.

Unfortunately, the average Nigerian car dealer is just after the profit that will be made from a car sale. Even after the sale of the car, they still find ways to extort the buyer. Always thinking if a buyer can afford a car for 1 million naira for example, then he should have up to 3 million naira in his bank account or more.

Very soon, all these maggots will be screwed out of business by the genuine and honest dealers.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Sep 11, 2011
Some buyers also bring grief upon themselves.

If you wish to purchase a particular car, it's worth doing your own research on your chosen model. And when you wish to pre-order a car, be very clear and concise, in terms of engine, transmission and specification. Don't assume a dealer will read your mind. Today I had someone contact me, he wants to buy a car. This was our conversation:

[b]
****** hello Siena, this is ****** from Nairaland.com
siena774: Hi,
******: im cool
******: sorry to bother you
Siena774: That's okay.
******: i just want to ask if you have a toyota camry of the 2004 model
******: big daddy
siena774: Unfortunately no. That is a US model.
******: ok thans
******: i dont need a tokunbo, but the naija fairly and neatly used
Siena774: I don't live in Nigeria, so couldn't help you with a Nigerian-used one.
******: oh ok
******: how much is a pre-order
siena774: I'll need the engine size and spec you're after.
******: the v4 engine
******: and auto transmission
siena774: You mean I4. No such thing as a V4.
siena774: But I'll still require the engine capacity.
siena774: Auto trans, yep.
******: i dont know much about that
******: but the best engine
siena774: Bro, it would benefit you greatly, if you research the particular model you're after, so you know more about what you want.
******: yes
******: i said the 2004 model
******: toyota camry 2004 model
siena774: Yes, I got that. But the 2004 with a 4 cylinder engine comes in different engine capacities.
******: which of it is the strongest engine?
siena774: If you Google, you'll see there are several engine options available on the 2004 model.
****** ok
siena774: Bro, there's no such thing as a stronger engine. They're all good.
******: you know much about it
******: why not enlighten me
siena774: Because it will take me ages. Every given car has different engine options.
siena774: There are lots of differences.
siena774: If you Google Toyota Camry, you'll find there are several models in 2004.
******: ok brb
******: let me do that
siena774: No worries buddy.
******: yep
******: i got some here
******: oh you are a guru when it comes to cat 
******: i just get in a car and drive
******: dont know much about them
siena774: It always pays to know about your car.
siena774: That way, mechanics don't rip you off.
******: how do i know about that
[/b]

From the above conversation, it's pretty clear ****** knows nothing about the car he's looking to buy. And isn't willing to learn, he wants me to spoon feed him. This is the sort of buyer, that wants a Toyota Camry, and will probably get one with a 1,6 carburettor engine from an old Volkswagen Golf I, and wouldn't be aware of it.

Buyers also need to help themselves, knowledge is power. And sellers need to stop taking advantage of vulnerable buyers, that know little or nothing about cars, and place so much trust in them to do the right thing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by usbcable(m): 10:10pm On Sep 11, 2011
I have the intent of getting a car soon(and likely from a NLander) but ''bad people are now painting good people bad'' all cos no checks are in place to stop fraudulent people from taking advantage of buyers.

its a tough step considering the fact that some people may take advantage to soil the image of genuine and honest dealers, but a work around can be put in place to at least guard against frauds.

for instance financial institutions and telecom firms nowadays put a caveat on the websites on fraudulent SMS's likewise we see all around us houses with the inscription "house not for sale" this are some measures to prevent problems than solve problems that may arise.

the Auto/Business/phone sections provide a good market for people to buy and sell but it will be better if some steps can be put in place to preserve user trust and confidence in transactions done based on information gotten from the site.

i may suggest the following:
1. just like all other trade associations a background check is done for any new member. so its a lot better if I know that user 'A','B' and 'C' are members of an association thus less risk of running into trouble transacting business with them. and like the sign 'cars parked at owners risk' trading with a one time seller will be made known.
2. any car/vehicle sale thread/post without a VIN number be prohibited or deleted
3. a thread can be made for dealers providing some level of information about them

the above is subject to criticism(not abusive as is the norm on NL) grin
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Dereformer(m): 2:13pm On Oct 14, 2011
Having gone through the above carefully, I have decided to go to Cotonou to buy my car period.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 25, 2011
Dereformer:

Having gone through the above carefully, I have decided to go to Cotonou to buy my car period.

Going to Cotonou's all well and good. The important thing is knowing what automobile you want, and researching as much as possible about it before setting out for Cotonou. Cotonou does not guarantee you'll get the right vehicle - if you're ignorant as to what to expect in your chosen model, the same pitfalls with regards to buying from Nigeria, or pre-ordering from the US / UK still apply. Dealers have a legal and moral responsibility to get things right, but the onus still lies with the buyer to know exactly what they want, and be clear about it. If you're not going to research your chosen model, you might as well save your Cotonou trip money, and get shafted at home.

The smartest thing you can do is join automobile fora. There are several model-specific boards, that offer a wealth of information. Getting involved with such fora is the quickest way to empower yourself with knowledge specific to your vehicle, or one you intend to buy.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 26, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

Bro, please try to take some things seriously. It's no laughing matter when you lose money, and receive a vehicle that is not as originally described.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by 100bars(m): 8:38pm On Dec 26, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-830232.0.html
Another misleading advert from a nairaland automobile dealer!
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 27, 2011
100bars:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-830232.0.html
Another misleading advert from a nairaland automobile dealer!

That advert is a puzzle, you'd need to be a mind reader to decipher the contents.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Dizzybizzy: 10:31am On Dec 28, 2011
Siena:

That advert is a puzzle, you'd need to be a mind reader to decipher the contents.
Nairaland detectives @ work!
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:29pm On Dec 28, 2011
It is not easy for an in-experienced car-buyer to land the car of his dreams without passing through the proverbial "eye of the needle" especially with crooked Nigerian-based Car Dealers and all the cruel tricks they play on the buyer to turn his expected blessing into a curse  angry

A Car Dealership is out to make (a huge) profit at the least expense. It costs more to sell a "Clean" car and very few car-buyers can afford a "Clean" car or have the budget for it. Most dealers sample the market for fast-selling cars and what people can afford depending on the Age of the Car, Mileage and Physical Condition.

1: Do your Research - Find out what a used car (your preference) goes for on the average in the US, European or Asian Markets.
2: Take into consideration Age, Mileage, Physical Condition, Shipping costs and an allowance for 100% Profit for the Dealer (My Rule of Thumb - this should be your budget)
3: If you cannot wait (Pre-Order)- then by all means take your check-lists from your Research and go shopping on the Nigerian/Cotonou Market. while it is hard and it costs money, carry a mechanic along (A honest one if this is possible). Crooked Dealers emphasize on the following when they play their cruel psychology on you.

[list]
[li]a: This Car is Clean - and they mean it. Waxed Paint-work, Polished Seats, Clean Engine parts [/li]
[li]b: This AC is Factory-fitted and it is very Chilling[/li]
[li]c: This Mileage is very low - @150,000km+  shocked Why are dealers so wicked  angry[/li]
[li]d: A Buyer has already placed a deposit (if it is toks) or the previous owner got an official car and wants to sell this one (if Nigerian-used)[/li]
[li]e: It is 1-Month-Registered  angry [/li]
[/list]

While all of the above are good points  - what are important is listed below
[list]
[li]a: Focus on the Test-Driving Experience ONLY! [/b]How does the engine sound when it [b]STARTS, how does it sound when it is IDLE [/b]and when you try to [b]OVERTAKE. also keep an eye on the Smoothness of the Gear-shift. If it is not smooth and it lurches with a clud sound. It may have been "Serviced" (Only in Naija) Make sure you do this with the Factory-fitted AC on at over-drive  grin[/li]
[li]b: Make sure to drive on uneven - bumpy roads so you can test the Brakes/Shocks and Suspensions always brake Sharply - if you hear a cranky squeak. it means brakes have been tightened and drum riveted to hide a failing brake-pad and a poor suspension[/li]
[/list]

You can ignore the Mileage if the Car drives well but know this - The approximately estimated travel/road distance between Lagos and Kaduna can be around 729.62 km to 793.06 km let us assume 800km per trip. you will need to travel 63 times between Kaduna and Lagos to hit a 50,000km Mileage - I don't care how bad or good the roads are or how often the engine is serviced. Mileage has a discounting impact on the price of the car. the higher the mileage the lower the price should be. (In Nigeria, what is considered Good Mileage in Nigeria is meant for the Grave in developed Countries). Try to go for cars with at least 40k-50k Mileage for Toks (Avoid Toks-Nigerian-used at all costs)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kia Nigeria Records 200% Year-on-year Sales / Plz Help Me On Transmission Issue (updated) / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.