Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,705 members, 7,918,184 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 02:50 AM

Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent (23682 Views)

Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC / Nigerians To Pay More As FG Approves Tariff Increase For Power Companies, Disco / No Tariff Increase, Buhari Ordered Mass Metering - NERC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Ovamboland(m): 11:21pm On Aug 29, 2021
lexy2014:

so is all d money that gets into govt coffers used actually used to run govt? how much of govt revenue is properly and justifiably used?

Tell us how much we actually earn from oil at 1.7m barrels daily considering cost of production and IOC share. Are you sure all our earnings from oil can pay all our doctors Saudi wages?
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Tundex911: 11:23pm On Aug 29, 2021
Aswear na wetin citizens eyes � suppose see my fellow people including me dey see...

Cuz despite this bubu administration we still no go get sense

Awa weyrey gbogbo

Smh
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Ovamboland(m): 11:23pm On Aug 29, 2021
lexy2014:

are d citizens who are supposed to pay these increased tariffs making tons of money at d moment?

So who will pay for the cost of power if citizens can't pay and govt says subsidy must end? Discos?
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by adecz: 11:24pm On Aug 29, 2021
Ovamboland:

How much will it cost to pay the 75,000 doctors in Nigeria like Saudi so they will not go?
What if we promise them half to stay back, can govt still afford it? Where would that amount come from? What do you then pay the 250,000 nurses so that they will stay? What of the other health workers?

By the time you pay all of them Saudi wages, how much will be left to run the rest of the country?

⏩The thousands of useless, mostly illiterate or half educated LG councillors & Advisers to governors are paid higher than doctors.

The grievances of most of these doctors is that they aren't even regularly paid their meagre entitlements.

Senators and federal legislators are paid over 15 million per month for doing what❔❗️❔

Mr Man, you better park well.

Why are you even underrating doctors
out of jealousy?
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Ovamboland(m): 11:30pm On Aug 29, 2021
Peppysco:

You just want to be noticed and yes you have. But the truth is, you're yet to answer my question. Which is 'Do Nigerians paying heavily and in most cases, crazy or estimated light bills get value for their monies', of course, you can't ever answer that. I bet you also don't enjoy regular power supply wherever you live
The 99% power company staff you mentioned, do they get enunerations commensurate with their work load and also value for the light bills they pay? Of course, you cannot answer that as well. Just so you know, all the Discos operating in Nigeria all do so in a perfect market structure and if the business is no longer profitable for them, they can all exit the market cos consumer sovereignty is the watchword for such market structure. So, don't blame us when we rebuke them cos we understand their business models and the services they ought to render. I won't blame you also cos you either benefit directly from the sector or you're just plain ignorant of how the market works

Yes there's no power supply where I am right now, but that should not make me lose sense of logical reasoning and reality.
As long as power sector is not profitable nobody will invest in it.

Do you know the constitution empowers state govts to licence power producers and distribution in areas not served by the grid and discos?

Why have people not rushed to invest in those areas to bypass the fraud you claim is embedded in the existing system?
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Ovamboland(m): 11:34pm On Aug 29, 2021
emorse:

And the easier thing to do would be to make those who have been religiously overpaying to pay more? No na.

Do you now see that many of the estimated bills never turns to cash and Discos are not swimming in money?
There are huge problems that needs to be solved which transcends just power generation and distribution.

It includes, legal, law enforcement, identity issues before the system can see stability.
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by emorse(m): 11:45pm On Aug 29, 2021
Ovamboland:

Your community alone can't get 44,000 allocated meters.
The whole of Lagos got allocation of about 110,000 out of the 1m units for the entire 36 states and Abuja. Some states can't even get 44,000 units.

Whoever told you you got that much for your community alone misled you. Even that number 44,000 in Lagos will be what like 6 or 7 local government with several communities would get.
That was a typo. It was 4,400 units. And if those meters were installed, there wouldn't be more than a handful of houses left.
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by Ovamboland(m): 11:46pm On Aug 29, 2021
adecz:

⏩The thousands of useless, mostly illiterate or half educated LG councillors & Advisers to governors are paid higher than doctors.

The grievances of most of these doctors is that they aren't even regularly paid their meagre entitlements.

Senators and federal legislators are paid over 15 million per month for doing what❔❗️❔

Mr Man, you better park well.

Why are you even underrating doctors
out of jealousy?

Councilors earn 125k monthly last time I checked and it's legal nothing to add. There are 774 local government and at average of 10 wards per LG we have less than 10k of them.

Paying them zero won't move the needle of salary for our 75k doctors and 250k nurses. Anyone who admires their salary can go and contest and collect that salary for 4 years.

The total budget for the Nass including about 2000 staff members is about 130bn.

Our 75,000 doctors will need 5 trillion a year to match the 6m they say Saudi will pay them monthly. Yet you think it's the 130bn NASS allocation that is standing between the doctors and Saudi wages in Nigeria? Think well. We've not mentioned Saudi wages for the 250,000 nurses.
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by emorse(m): 12:12am On Aug 30, 2021
Ovamboland:

Do you now see that many of the estimated bills never turns to cash and Discos are not swimming in money?
There are huge problems that needs to be solved which transcends just power generation and distribution.

It includes, legal, law enforcement, identity issues before the system can see stability.
Nobody insinuated that 100% of the bills are paid. It would be unwise for anyone to think so. Even I still owe about 6k or so on my bill. But there's proof that a large part of the revenue generated goes unreported.

Even at that, revenue shortfall is not unheard of in business. It only behoves on the business person to find ways to mitigate it. Like you said, the problem includes, legal, law enforcement, identity issues etc. Low tariffs though, is very far from the top of that list.
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by ogaontop(m): 1:31am On Aug 30, 2021
Ovamboland:

You believe this PWC report but disbelief the same PWC report on power sector illiquidity that Modrov has been sharing since.
Beliefs or disbelief without counter data can be sincerely wrong.
Later learnt from him it was PWC that gave the report he shared, so I have got nothing to discredit on his report because I believed PWC to be genuine.

On a general opinion, our govt of the day should be mindful of how everything inflates in price simultaneously bringing untold hardship on the citizens, some of these increments can be gradual
Also they lack accountability and transparency on how these incomes are being utilized after sucking the citizens to get more running cost, our recurrent expenditure and debt servicing is shadowy and overly excessive!
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by lexy2014: 7:18am On Aug 30, 2021
Ovamboland:

So who will pay for the cost of power if citizens can't pay and govt says subsidy must end? Discos?

u havent answered my question. if u say that d reason for constant tariff increase is in ur words "Do you really think the discos are making tons of money at the moment?", are d citizens who are supposed to pay these increased tariffs making tons of money at d moment? simple yes or no
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by lexy2014: 7:19am On Aug 30, 2021
Ovamboland:

Tell us how much we actually earn from oil at 1.7m barrels daily considering cost of production and IOC share. Are you sure all our earnings from oil can pay all our doctors Saudi wages?

u havent answered d question:

is all d money that gets into govt coffers used actually used to run govt? how much of govt revenue is properly and justifiably used?
Re: Confusion As Disco Announces Tariff Increase, NERC Silent by adecz: 9:11am On Aug 30, 2021
Ovamboland:

Councilors earn 125k monthly last time I checked and it's legal nothing to add. There are 774 local government and at average of 10 wards per LG we have less than 10k of them.

Paying them zero won't move the needle of salary for our 75k doctors and 250k nurses. Anyone who admires their salary can go and contest and collect that salary for 4 years.

The total budget for the Nass including about 2000 staff members is about 130bn.

Our 75,000 doctors will need 5 trillion a year to match the 6m they say Saudi will pay them monthly. Yet you think it's the 130bn NASS allocation that is standing between the doctors and Saudi wages in Nigeria? Think well. We've not mentioned Saudi wages for the 250,000 nurses.

Don't be jumping into conclusions.
I never said that our country should
match Saudi Arabia for salary.

Our government should simply pay anything
promised & agreed by the parties.

Remember that all doctors bring
income to anywhere they work, which
will be in trillions.

Senators, Advisers & councillors are

just a drain pipe & waste of resources.
Society can do without them. But we can't
do without doctors.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

EFCC May Return Dasuki To DSS Custody / Mark Okoye & Mohammed Sani, Youngest Serving Commissioners Who Are In Their 30s / Afenifere To Fulani Vigilantes: Leave South-West Now Or Face Hostility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.