Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,184 members, 7,907,194 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 05:19 AM

A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE (1739 Views)

The Bridge (18+) [Book 1 of Xav-Verse] [Completed] / The Girl In Black By SAMUEL Franklin (Psy-FY, Action and Thriller) (Completed) / New Completed Stories 18,+romance & Actions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 10:09pm On Aug 29, 2021
The book would be updated every two days - i wasn't sure i was going to make it this far but my God, i wanted to share one of my favorite and best stories i could come up and surprisingly it has a lot of romance in it considering i don't do romance genre. enjoy, please comment, it tells me i have people reading and support my writing career in any way you can - thanks.

copyrights reserved 2021

All rights reserved. No part of this Publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted, in any form, or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise), without the prior permission of the sole owner of the work.

This is a fictional work and all characters are drawn from the author's imagination, Any resemblance or similarities are entirely coincidental. coincidental

Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 10:16pm On Aug 29, 2021
SYNOPSIS

WILLIAM TELLS HIS EXTRAORDINARY STORY OF LOVE, BETRAYAL, REDEMPTION AND FAITH WHICH BEGINS WITH A VISIT TO THE PRISON WHERE HE FINDS JOSEPH.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 10:18pm On Aug 29, 2021
EPISODE ONE - PAGE ONE

“Pick the damn phone,” I screamed out of anger where I had found parking space just off the main road.

I was never the kind of man who easily waved of my frustration or anger, If I got angry the world knew about it quickly so that evening when I made an attempt to reach out to Annette and she hadn’t picked my call, I was furious but then I had expected her to do exactly that.

I laid back into the driver’s seat as I wondered what was going on, Had I overdone it this time, I wondered.

“No, she loves me and would never –“ I stopped reminiscing for a moment, maybe it was my professional instinct but I could have sworn I had figured out why Annette had been avoiding me.

It was a week ago, a cold Saturday morning, I was still stretched out and far from reality when I had faintly heard the bed room door creak and ann’s voice.

I must have felt a sharp pang in my heart when my eyes opened and Sally, my secretary was still in my bed, stark naked as was I but that wasn’t the first time she had caught me in bed with a completely random girl who had caught my eye suddenly yet there was something completely different about that her.

She had given me one long, hard stare and crumpled her lips as though she was about to cry and then she had taken her leave.
I made for the door to get to her like I always did but this time; she gave bolt a run for his medals, by the time I had got out of the room, I could hear her driving out.

Sweet Annette would never walk out of me not even in my worst behavior which I was known for but that day she had left without listening to my flimsy excuses at redemption.

Grrrh…Grrrh…Grrrh!

My phone’s ringing shattered my thoughts, sending a spark of anxiousness through my body, I had flung my phone at something when Annette hadnn't picked my call so it took me quite some time to search for it but my caller was patient and soon I had found my phone somewhere between passenger’s seat.

I was going to act like I always did, tough, deep toned and like I gave no care to anyone or anything, which wasn’t really far from the truth.
I hissed vehemently like a lazy snake, almost angered by Fashi’s bold name on my phone’s screen but then again we had arranged to meet that evening at The Deluzy Bar – where I was heading to.

“Willy boy, are you still coming or what, I got girls and booze here all staked up, man you had better hurry up,”

a semi-drunken response as expected from Fashi greeted my eyes and then the line went dead.

I switched on the car’s interior lights and almost immediately I caught sight of my ears from the rear mirror; It was a sight I had started to hate all of a sudden – looking at myself.

I wasn’t ugly if not I wouldn’t be able to string the type of girls I was stringing now and then, I was dark, masculine, 6feet tall, with well-groomed beards that ran on the sides of my face, I was getting closer to forty yet twenty must have suited me better when I did go all out with my dressing, I was a barrister and my bank account was swell but these days I had started to feel different.

I brought my car back to life and veered into the main road, it was just a few minutes past 8, the evening was still fresh, maybe I would be lucky with one of the girls – of course Fashi knew my type of girls and must have arranged a pick for me.

the Luzy Bar quickly turned out to be my favorite hangout once Fashi had introduced me to the place some months ago, it was by the means the fanciest or cheapest, somehow it did everything right, even the music was always spot each time I was around.

In here, no one gave a hoot in the world about what or who you are and it welcomed here everyone.

“I thought I would have to take this two beauties home myself,” Fashi came alive when He saw me.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 7:29am On Aug 30, 2021
EPISODE ONE - PAGE TWO

Still in his mid-forties and single, Fashi was a beefy, short and hairy man whose bushy eyebrows seemed uneven even from a distance maybe this was because of his heavily wrinkled forehead, his small eyes laid between a bulbous nose and a thick, dark lips like the distinguished smoker he was.

But the assistant commissioner of police was a baddie just like me who had learnt the only way to survive and make something out of one’s self was to do whatever one could, including a few other things many would frown openly at.

Some years ago I had needed help with a case, I was still young and naïve and thought highly of the justice system and its conduct.
It was my sixth case and before the hearing, I had that gut feeling I was in for my sixth loss but there he was.

“Listen, this man is guilty and even a plea deal won’t save him but I can help him and you, why, you may ask, I don’t know but I have a feeling you and I can work on something here,”

His introduction must have seemed to me like a cheap attempt at some prank but I was desperate and willing to give anything a try.

“your client is accused with embezzling his company’s fund worth over 3 million naira, If you can convince him to split then the prosecution won’t have any solid evidence to prosecute the case,”

I realized two things back then which was the truth was nothing without facts and I enjoyed winning a case.

Since then, we have stringed a couple of high criminal cases, He picks the cases and sets me up with the client, we play good cop and bad cop and make them part with their money for a chance at freedom perhaps the only thing that had become a norm for me was the amount of cases I had started to lose, you see Fashi had quickly discovered it was easy to string this criminals and still offer them nothing in return – the only down side was I had to ensure I flopped the cases badly.

Seated with him on both sides were two girls who were probably in their mid-twenties – the one on the right was almost pale in skin tone and and lanky in a way I thought she must have been sick or something, her facial fixtures was reminiscent of a cheap call girl trying to look expensive, the other was dark and only got my eyes on her for a few more seconds thanks to a massive cleavage yet I had decided not to leave with any of them.

“This is Silvia and this beauty over here is Selina,” Fashi introduced the two to me, they put up their act together, beaming with smiles that would fool no one as they came closer to me.

I regarded them as a dog would regard a meal when it was already over fed and distant myself from them, the fair one have understood my deal and clung back to Fashi but the dark one seemed resilient enough to draw closer.

“She likes you already, you should take-“

“I don’t need a company tonight,” I said like the saint I wasn’t.
Fashi hesitated for a moment.

“Hah, why, what happened, Willy boy, what’s this about?”

If only I knew the answer, I thought to myself.

“girls, excuse us for a quick second, I need to talk with my guy alone,”

Now this was Fashi for when he talked he spoke with authority – the kind a criminal would prefer over using a weapon to force his victim to compliance.

The girls disappeared somewhere inside the bar and Fashi was in no hurry to hear me speak, he studied me while I fiddled with a bottle.
“It’s her, isn’t it?”

“who, who are you-“

“Your lawyer girl friend, this is about that little issue you guys had last time, isn’t it?” He stopped to produce a pack of Benson.

Perhaps the little changes I had been noticing were truly because of Annette, for a week I had refused to go to my chambers or answer most of my calls, I ate less and seemed more like a teenager who had experienced a heartbreak for the first time.

“Do you love her?”

“Huh?”

“Do you like the girlie that much?” He asked again, patiently.

Again, I was left to my confused thoughts for an answer, Annette was by far the one girl who I never really understood, the other girls I could tell how many boys they slung around and how many boys that slung them, why they did it and for what purpose–and rarely was I ever mistaken.

We had met in our final year, I could still remember how she looked when I had mistakenly spilled a bottle of coke on her while two of the girls I slung were engaged in a fistfight.

I had apologized to her and left the scene only to be seated with her in the same taxi that evening–such luck!

But she was unlike any other girl, not the most beautiful of all I had slung but still she was something, she had made long and tiny braids which presented her round face well, big eyes that sparkled beneath her thick medical lenses, a small nose and lush lips that revealed good dentals and when she smiled, there was this peace and beauty hidden beneath it.

I had put up my best act and my charming smile to work but came up empty at the end when she didn’t even give me her name– that night for the first time when one of my girls that I slung regularly wanted me so bad I found myself bored and uninterested.

I must have broken many of the boys code to get to know her and it turned out she was in fact a big deal.

Annette was the daughter of a former service chief and a judge and this fuelled my desire to get her somehow we clicked during our service year becoming friends, having been posted to the same place unfortunately she was already in a relationship as I had come to know.

But on one beautiful evening, we slung and it must have felt like the first real time I did it somehow this killed our friendship.

1 Like

Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 7:34am On Aug 30, 2021
EPISODE ONE - PAGE THREE

She rented a space far within the state and ceased communications with me, again fate would bring us together two years after and since then she had stuck with me, through my worse moments and the good ones.

Was this what it felt like to be in love, could it be she was in love with me – was I in love, I asked myself.

“hey, willy are you still there?”

“yeah,” I nodded slowly.

“So my question, do you love the girl?”

“No, you know I am just in it for the ride,” I said with no certainty whatsoever.

“hahah, that’s the game , willy, don’t forget it, ride them as much as you can, I tell you willy, I would rather have my balls dragged out on the streets behind me than fall for a woman, that’s just nonsense people read in books, listen take a beer or two, I could call more girls for you if –“

“No, I am good actually – I might just call it a night now,” I replied, having lost interest in the affairs of the evening momentarily, maybe a sleep would do me some good, I imagined.

Fashi must have been heavily drunk to let me take my leave but I was certain he wouldn’t let me \off on the matter the next day, still I was thankful he allowed me leave.

As I took my leave, I saw the two girls rushing to join Fashi, The black one passed a doleful stare at me but I gave her no further thought.

The new week did help me in my dilemma, I had started to look unkempt and unbothered, Fashi must have called a dozen times but I received no calls but rather laid in my bed all day or try to find some little appetite to eat.

I flared easily at Pete, the young gateman for anything and everything and visited my drinks cabinet more often – sometimes I slept there.

By Friday’s noon, I was still in bed with no intention of getting out of it when my phone began to ring, I found it with much effort, there was no name which again was something that could have easily pulled me off, and somehow I hope it was her.

“Hello,” My voice was mild and low , a betrayal to my tough guy personality.

“is this barrister William Enaboh, this is Doctor Ehichoya,”

“yeah you are speaking with him, how may I help you?”

“well actually it is how I can help you, I am the new resident doctor at St. Evelyn Psychiatrist Hospital, it's about your mother,”
“okay, what about her?”

“I am sorry, I can’t have an over the phone conversation, would you be willing to come down to the hospital maybe say-“
I flung the phone somewhere and hissed dully, it even surprised me I had let him speak that long before killing the call maybe it was because I wanted to speak with someone after all.

I had decided that evening I was going to go to the Deluzy bar, get some dreams and see how the evening would play out or I could try like I had done for the hundredth time try to call Annette.

I had expected her to reach out to me at some point; she was never the one to pick a fight with me not even for the reasons a fight was necessary, this was a reason early on in our relationship I had sought as an excuse to cheat but I realized soon enough this was just the way she played, soft-spoken and always willing to put a smile on her face for me, she was special.

Her socials had nothing new to give me a clue to what was happening, she wasn’t the type to share her feelings with the general public neither did she keep a lot of friends and the few I know, I had slung.

I groaned in bed and hoped it gave way to sleep which was all I had to compensate my restlessness.

By 9 pm, I managed to crawl out of my hole, I had found a some clean sleeves amongst the dirty laundry and a pair of jean to wear.

The thought had occurred to me to call Fashi at a point while I drove but much too quickly it faded away once I got to the bar.

I only took a step out of the car before I realized coming out was a mistake, suddenly Deluzy bar lost all its grace in my sight, I returned to my car and decided perhaps it was best I patronized one of the lesser known hangouts in the area maybe magically, Annette would be sitting somewhere with her favorite bottle of cherry liquor waiting for me.

I drove past a few streets, they all seemed the same to me and I bothered not my mind to toy with their descriptions until I found a bar that somehow captured my attention.

Well lighted, open and loud, a few cars were parked just outside and my Camry made its debut.

I slipped out and walked in, got a table and ordered a bottle but this time I wanted more so I ordered for a pack of Benson, it wasn’t my first time smoking but I had given it up when Annette asked me to when we had dated, now it seemed like the perfect choice to help me drown in my restlessness.

At some minutes past 11, I was half way through the pack and a few bottles short of a crate and of course heavily drunk when she slid into my table.

My eyes had left the job of what she looked like that night to my drunken state but my nose was quick to pick her scent- it was that of lavender and I did like it.

“who are you!?”

“Me, do you really want to know?” she replied.

“Yeah, you are here with me, right?”

“Oh yes but don’t worry about it, I couldn’t find a space elsewhere, am sorry about that”

“Its fine, it happens to me sometimes, you are a regular here?”

“well, I come to get drunk when I have a lot on my mind, I hope that is not crazy for an explanation,”

I laughed hysterically under the influence of the bottle.

“Oh no, we are practically partners, I am here for same reasons,” I managed to say in between my laughter.

“hahaha but you have that look on your face,”
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 7:35am On Aug 30, 2021
EPISODE ONE - PAGE THREE CONTD

“What look is that – the one that wants to take you home to slung?”

“a little of that, yeah but that’s not really it, someone broke your heart?”

“You must be a magician, a bottle for you!” I waved my hands in the air in sheer exaggeration of her observation.

We might have talked a little more than I would have normally liked to, even if she was a hottie I wanted for the night but I could just remember driving home with someone in my car.

1 Like

Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 9:48pm On Aug 30, 2021
EPISODE TWO - PAGE ONE

Two persistent yet annoying sounds grew loudly in my head as I opened my eyes slowly, one was a bad headache and the other was my phone, I opened my eyes and realized I was in my bedroom tucked under the mattress where I had only my shorts on then It occurred to me.

I did bring someone home with me last night but the more I tried to remember past that, the more my head ached.

I stretched to full length and took a good look around – there was no one around and no sign of anyone.

Grrh..Grrhh…Grrrhhh!

My phone registered its ringing in my mind, I looked around and found it on the cabinet placed carefully beside a piece paper, it was a note so I got curious.

WE HAD FUN LAST NIGHT SO I MADE SOMETHING FOR YOU; YOU LOOK LIKE YOU NEEDED IT.

Definitely I had brought someone home and now it appeared We had slung then my mind had gone to some ugly stories I had heard off where the guy slept off after a hot session and woke up robbed off all his valuables.

My eyes went to the drawers of the cabinet, I was not the man who left lumpy sums of money at home but my drawer held my cards and my two most expensive accessories, my gold Rolex watch and my gold necklace and I was so relieved none of them was missing or tampered with.

Grrh..Grrhh…Grrrhhh!

Again my phone was persistent, and I had to sort that out as best as I could, fashi’s name flashed on the screen and I had thought of waving it away at first but ultimately decided against it.

“Where the hell have you been willy boy, what’s been-“

“is there something you want to tell me,”

“Is there something I want to tell you? What’s the attitude-“

“Listen, I just woke up right now and-“

“you just woke up? Willy boy its 12:14pm, you have been in bed all day?”

I was surprised when my eyes darted to the clock on the wall and I realized he was telling the truth.

“get dressed and come to the station immediately,”

“to the station, why? I mean what happened?”

“what’s this question about, willy boy are you sure you are okay?”

He had the right to ask, this was certainly an oddity to our conversations definitely there was a job which is why he had requested my presence but now I didn’t even want to leave room.

“get to the station before 3pm, this is a big deal, probably the biggest deal of our careers,”

“I will try,”

I ended the call before he got the chance to give me a response, there was no way I was getting out of bed I had figured.

Some minutes later, I had received a text and guessed this was fashi trying to make his point clear but as I glanced at the phone, my eyes widened with excitement and anxiety – it was Annette.

HI, I WILL BE AT FAST TASTE EATERY AT 7PM THIS EVENING, I WOULD LIKE YOU TO BE AROUND SO WE CAN TALK ABOUT US
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 9:51pm On Aug 30, 2021
EPISODE TWO - PAGE TWO

I had given no thought to her words but proceeded to dial her number which was switched off.

“Damn it, damn you!” I swore angrily at no one but myself.

Who was she really, who did she think that she was to make me feel so lonely and empty like I was feeling, how did I give her so much power to make me feel this way, why was I feeling so miserable over a single girl when I could have ten if I so wanted, the thoughts tormented me where I sat.

It took another thirty minutes before I managed to wash off and find a less dirty shirt to put on, I hadn’t expected it but I felt better still, knowing she was okay, knowing I was going to see her today.

It was when I went to the parlour I discovered a covered tray on the dining table, it must have come as a surprise to me because I wasn’t the type of man who cooked and for the last few days, my daily meal had nothing to do with multiple plates or even plates at all.

I strolled over to the table and opened the plates, nicely made was a plate of rice with little diced carrots and a plate of stew with remnants of a chicken I had purchased some weeks prior.

“How did she know?” I asked quite confused for only Annette and my mother knew how I liked my favourite meal – white rice with little chips of diced carrots.

Could this be Annette's doing, was this some trick or scheme of hers, I wondered for a second or two but I quickly waved it off, Annette could never play such games with me, it had to be a coincidence and now I had settled that my stomach ached for a spoonful of the rice and stew.

It was when I was done wiping the plates clean with my tongue with much certainty that I could serve a meal with those plates without washing them that I realized how hungry I was and how fulfilling the meal was.

I felt much power inside my body, encouraged so far with the day I thought I would pay fashi a visit, maybe he would make my day even brighter I thought – my disappointment on the hand was certain, of course.

“Oga sir, Good afternoon sir,” Pete’s voice crumbled under his breath, having run the distance from the gate to the park.

“yes what is it?” I asked with a voice that threatened great consequences if he spoke out of line which was always the case.

“Sir, sorry oh –“ He paused and produced a sachet containing a few drugs and stretched it out to me.

“what the – what the hell is this, Pete, who is this for, did I tell you I was ill or something?” I turned around ready to let him have a sip of my bottled aggression.

“No, no, no oh, no oga, it’s the lady you brought with you last night, you were,”

He was hesitant to speak more.

“I was what, what did I do?”

“Sir, you were vomiting uncontrollably sir, she and I had to take you in so she gave you some drugs –“

“what, she gave me some drugs, and I took them?” I asked almost to myself with a facial expression that laid emphasis on my shock.

“yes sir, the drugs stopped you from vomiting further, she cleaned up the house and this morning before she left she asked me to get you this for the headache.

Now I had to press myself to remember what really happened last night but still, I came up to a wall of pain up in my head and wondered how drunk I was last night.

“so you let a strange woman give me drugs eh, what if she was trying to poison me or something, you couldn’t call the police or something?”
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 9:54pm On Aug 30, 2021
EPISODE TWO - PAGE THREE

Sure I wasn’t going to let pete off my hook, I had enough power to pick a fight for no reason with the poor boy or anyone who I thought wanted it.

“sir, sir, it’s not like that,”

“will you shut your dirty mouth there, so someone can just walk in here and you will let them do whatever they please in my own house?”

Pete had started sweating furiously looking like a cornered goat with no means of escape from the grasp of its predator.

“see I am warning you right now, I don’t know what you fill your block head with but you had better know what you are doing, I am almost fed up with your trash and one of these days, you are going back to the street, is that understood?”

“Yeah, yes sir,” he stammered.

“now get out of my sight,” he barked at him. “wait, give me the drugs, I will dispose of them outside” I lied.

I had reckoned I needed some painkillers for my headache which the drugs would do, poor pete handed them to me and moved away like a scolded kid would.

At 2:49 pm I arrived at Division 2D, fashi’s work place or mine, since this is where I got most of the high-paying jobs that kept me afloat.

I passed two constables who passed a gloomy stare at me but seemed to get the idea I was trouble so that they did nothing else.

Over the time, my little business deal was putting me up in an unpleasant view of law officials at fashi’s workplace, I felt it was jealousy at first but for the first time, I felt something else that made feel sick in my stomach.

“I was about to call a police squad to go burst you up in your house, willy boy!” Fashi’s excitement and relief knew no bound as I walked in.

“well let’s have it, I am here,” my voice carried just a little hint of interest in whatever he had to say.

Fashi starred at me with mischievous eyes and a grin which was what the assistant commissioner of police did when he was overly excited about something.

“let’s have it, man” again I was bent on wrecking his flow.

“you are such a sour case you know, anyway something big hit our station yesterday, just after the commissioner took his official sabbatical leave –“ He brought out a newly opened case file from one of the drawers and slid it to me. “Have you heard of the name Chief Ignatius Bode Michael?!”

Of course everyone knew who Chief Ignatius Bode Michael was, even the deaf and dumb knew the so-called Dangote of Lagos state.

A wealthy rich business tycoon who made billions from oil deals back then in fact I and my jobless friends made analytical arguments on how much paper this man had while we were still in school so yeah I knew him quite alright.

“yes, who doesn’t?”

“Good, at least some parts of you are still working, We have the rapist of his youngest daughter in our cell right now!”

I skipped a heartbeat.

“what?”

“yeah, that’s the willy boy there,” fashi was glad to see that look of curiosity on my face. “the rapist was brought in yesterday by the security team of the bode’s mansion, George Akpan, he was a former police escort to some politician back then but he works security for the bode, the man looked like he was feeding on fertilizer and-“

“fashi, concentrate, God dammit!” I flared up – I could tell he was beginning to enjoy himself.

“Oh, and there I was calling you and you were acting like you had never lost a woman in your life,”

“I haven’t lost a woman in my life,”

“yeah you don’t say, ” his eyes mocked me.

“Just give me the gist, will you?”

“okay you are right, I want this business sorted out quickly as well,” he stopped to think about something, running his hands around the edges of his desk. “So as I was
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 9:58pm On Aug 30, 2021
EPISODE TWO - PAGE FOUR

saying, Akpin walks in, usually we have no business to conduct, the only time he is here is when he wants some reinforcements for an escort and this business he does with the commissioner and we all hear rumors of the expensive tokens my boss gets at the end,” Fashi scoffed.

“so yesterday, the commissioner calls me just we get akpin’s convoy coming in, my boss said he was coming back in –“

“The sly bastard wanted to have a piece of the action,”

“yeah, you don’t say, this is big business here I sensed what might be up and pulled in some favors from the high grounds even before Akpin walks in and I shut bastard up and makes sure he is forced to observe his sabbatical leave so he calls me to take care of Akpin reluctantly and wants me to do as he says which I am game for as long as we got money involved and then Akpin walks in and drops the bomb, they have the rapist of his boss’s younger daughter with them,”

“this is unreal, you know,”

“I know but people do crazy things so it happened, now Akpin wants the boy dealt with, he wants the boy to give his statement admitting to the crime, he says no one must know of this as his boss’s wife wishes to keep the issue from the eyes of the public as much as they can,”

“okay, so where do I come in?”

“well you wouldn’t even be here because I could easily get a statement out of the boy but eh,” fashi looked almost stunned. “this rapist has refused to write a guilty statement, he is so adamant that he is innocent-“

“Then torture the kid until he gives you a statement or make a statement for him,”

“hahaha, you think I hadn’t thought of that but then again the real drama began, I get a call from the big man himself,”

“you mean chief-“

“oh yes chief bode Michael himself,”

“what did he want, did he want him killed or-“

“killed? No chance, the chief wanted this rapist to be treated well, he wanted us to do nothing to him until he himself was around, he asked for due process to be carried out and his rights respected,”

Fashi’s stunned face looked like mine as he concluded.

“this is crazy!”

“oh you haven’t heard it all willy boy because after then I get a call from the big man’s wife, guess what she wants,”

“the direct opposite of what the man wanted?”

“Good guess willy boy, this woman wants the boy taken care of in prison, she wants him to pay for what he did to her daughter , mehn she sounded like a scorned woman who was ditched on the altar by her lover,”

“it seemed you had a swell yesterday,” I said to him.

“yeah you can say that again so anyway I am stuck in this situation where I don’t know how best to move on and while I was jumping jack where I was, I get a third call,”

“don’t tell me it was the president,”

“definitely no, it was the rapist’s fiancée-“

“what did that one want, his head?”

“no, she wanted me to know she knew where her man is, she is getting a lawyer for a fiancé, she says this is all a plot to frame her man and she will do everything to get the guy out and she is a media personality, this she claimed, she was feisty,”

I whistled out of my amusement, this was one crazy story indeed.

“So back at the Deluzy bar last night, I came up with a plan I want to control this affair because I can smell tons of papers in It if it sticks but I can’t do that if the boy has another lawyer-“

“what are you thinking fashi?”

“I don’t know, she is a media personality so now I can’t do shit to the boy even if I wanted to, if she blows the case out there my career could be on the line, we have to play this as
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 10:07pm On Aug 30, 2021
EPISODE TWO - PAGE FIVE

cool as we can so here is the deal, I want you to be the boy’s lawyer, I want you to get me everything and anything you can, the kid has said not a single word to us and akpin is just a ball boy, he won’t say anything and even if he did, I bet my balls it is not to be trusted-“

“so you think this could be some conspiracy?”

“conspiracies or not, I need to know what we are dealing with and the boy is the easiest way to find out and then I can know how best to monetize the problem and boy would we get a fat cheque this time around,”

As crazy as this sounded I wasn’t feeling it maybe I needed to get my head checked or something but I suddenly lacked interest.

“what’s that face you are making willyboy!”

“what face?”

“that face you – look let me tell you something, I don’t really know how you or what the hell has been going on with you but this could be it for me willyboy, I want a big fat cheque so I can get off this godforsaken profession once and for all and that is no joke and this situation presents the best way for me and maybe for you if suddenly you have developed cold feet for our little arrangements, you can go straight or develop a conscience after this job but not before, get this done and you can decide what you want to do next, do we have an agreement?”

For fashi, business was business and friendship was friendship even now I doubted we were friends but he was right, I was in fact getting tired of these arrangements of ours, the money was good but I had to sell pieces of my soul to the devil each time and not like I gave a damn all this time, I would do worse than long as the price was right but suddenly I did care and now I wanted out and I felt he had seen it all in my eyes.

“just this last job and we are done right?”

“I retire and go join my brother up in Canada and you can slung with your consciences all day long,”

I couldn’t argue, surely this meant a lot to the both of us, I could retire from the profession if I wanted with a fat account after this job to do as I please, maybe give a lumpy sum to an orphanage to clear what he described as a conscience.

A conscience, had I really grown one all of a sudden, had the thrills and craziness of my arrangements with fashi became a burden on me, I wondered where I sat.

“okay, you make the plan while I string the boy,” I said.

“excellent so I suggest you begin right away, I don’t know what to expect so we have to be fast, I had him waiting for you already, sold him the story of a human rights activist and lawyer who could help him,”

“did he buy it?”

‘God knows I don’t know what the kid thinks which is why you should go talk to him,” Fashi shrugged. “that’s his file, there is nothing much in there, take it with you-“ he paused and gave me a look of scrutiny.

“Couldn’t you atleast look better, you looked terrible and,” he sniffed the air. “And smell terrible as well,”

“thanks for the careful observation,” I said dully taking the file with him as I walked away.

“one other thing you should know, my boys heard prayers last night, they say the kid is a –“

“a religious fanatic?” I said dully.

Now this was disappointing to hear for someone like me who didn’t believe in such things as spirituality or religion and easily got worked up over people with such views.

“yeah, I know you don’t like them so go easy on the kid , don’t flare up too quickly we need the kid, can you do that, can you control yourself?”
“I will try,”

He nodded dully and let me leave.

I took a look at the suspect’s case file, inside was The statement of the head of security, the suspects pictures and a little document containing his bio.

He was twenty-eight years of age, dark, slim, clean shaven and wore glasses, any other day he would have passed for a preacher or an intelligent gentleman.

I was no stranger to finding my way around the station; I got to the interrogation room and met an officer waiting outside; I guess he had been told to leave once I arrived and I could see how relieved he was when I did.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 10:10pm On Aug 30, 2021
EPISODE TWO - PAGE SIX

I walked into the dimly lighted room and was quickly overcome with the nauseating smells in the air – that was something I could handle.
He sat on the other side of the metal desk, with eyes lowered down on his chest, his lips mumbling something I couldn’t hear.

My presence was welcomed with no attention from him so I decided to let myself in a chair.

Up close, I could hear him praying.

“Mr. Joseph, can I call you Mr. joseph?” I began but got no response, fashi wanted me to play it cool, now I wondered how long that was going to be before I flared up.

“I am a lawyer, I want to help you, “

“Do you believe in God?” his voice brought a sweet memory of Annette’s voice to me.

“what?” I was taken aback by his response.

“I asked if you believe in God,”

“I fail to see how that would impact on your current state,” I said a bit irritated but he had scoffed dully at me.

“Oh it has everything to do with my current state, you see-“

“listen I would like to sit here and have those little chitchat with you but may I remind you why you are here and what can happen to you upon prosecution?” I went on the offensive, this time he lowered his eyes and said nothing.

“They said, you said you weren’t guilty, suppose you tell me your side of the story-“

“I can’t tell you anything not until he has come to see me,” he replied.

“who is coming to see you?”

“My boss, He is going to come and ask me the same thing you are asking and after then God will show me what next I have to do,”

I must have lost it because I slammed my hand on the desk so bad that it might have been dented by the force.

“listen to your goddamn self man, are you really okay?”

I paused seeing the door open and one of the policeman pushing his head inside to check on us.

“Hah constable okorie, don’t worry we are okay here,” Joseph said to the police officer who nodded dully at us and locked the door once more.

“he is a good man, you know and very soon God is going to bless him and his family,” Joseph was quick to add.
This wasn’t going to work I concluded.

“Alright Mr. Joseph, I am going to leave now, I will drop my number with the police officers, if you are interested in taking me on my offer to be your defense attorney, I will be around, I am only here to help you” I stood up to take my leave.

“you are only here because God wants you here, there are no accidents in this life,” He spoke but I was way too angry at him to give a damn.
I left the station soon after I had a little talk with fashi who seemed disappointed in my handling of the issue.

“listen, I need you to be on this guy’s side, if he asks some stupid question, give him an equally stupid answer just don’t get him thinking outside what we want him to think, you could have handled the guy with some kid’s glove,”

“me taking my leave was handling the situation with kid’s glove, the guy is insane and should stay in the prison-“

“and we don’t give a damn about that, who cares if he decided to strung his boss’s daughter, I don’t care neither do you, just get the guy to talk then I can think of something quick,”

I returned home and took a cold bath and got some rest, in a few hours I would be seeing Annette and those thoughts rocked me gently to sleep.

I woke up a bit late than I should, I had hoped to be at fast food eatery before 7pm but now it seemed almost likely I would have to settle for 8 pm.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 10:14pm On Aug 30, 2021
EPISODE TWO - PAGE SEVEN

I arrived at the spot at 8:05 pm and then I suddenly developed cold feet for certainly this wasn’t going to end well.

I had been so excited to see her that I didn’t even bother about if It was best I met her because while I had suddenly become a shadow of myself all this while I could fill my head with thoughts of getting her back but this meeting seemed destined to put an end to such delusions – was I truly ready for this; I wondered.

Sadly It didn’t matter if I decided to return home and postpone the meeting, Annette had already made a decision and I guess It was time I had a taste of my own poison.

I found my way inside and quickly spotted her, beautiful and charming so much that I began to burn with desire deep inside as I got closer to her.

“I didn’t think you would come,” she said with a dull smile and eyes that saw right through me.

“Why haven’t you been picking my calls?” I asked like a spoilt brat for I had decided momentarily that if this was going to be a breakup I was going to be the one to do it – no girl had ever had the guts to break up with me and she wasn’t going to be the first.

“Please sit down,” she said in a low tone letting me realize she didn’t want me to make a scene there.

“What is this about ann, two weeks you went ghost on me and now you want me here, what is it?’ I asked nonchalantly.

She took a stare at me as if to decide her next words and then she sighed.

“if you are not going to sit down, I would have to leave you here,” she said again.

“fine, I will sit but you had better not waste my time,” I replied feigning displeasure at her request.

“How is your mom?”

“what?”

“Doctor Ehichoya called me the other day, he says he needed to-“

“is that why you wanted me to come?”

“No, I just want you to try to see the doctor, please,”

“just tell me what this is about ann and stop wasting our time, do you want to break up with me, huh, is that it?”

She said nothing yet her eyes revealed it all to me perhaps it was best I called the shots now and walk out with my head up high like the bad guy I was but somehow I wanted to hear her say it.

“I think we should- I mean I want us to,” she hesitated and exhaled sharply. “I can’t keep doing this,” she said.

I could tell she was struggling with her words now.

“I can’t–we can’t keep doing this, I think we should stop–I came to say goodbye to you, William, I thought you would,” she paused and wiped a tear off her cheek. “Goodbye William, please don’t try to call me-“

“Oh, you bet I won’t,” I stuttered angrily.

She scoffed at my response like a mother would at the tantrums of her child but then her phone had rung, clearly on her phone’s display was Daniel’s number, my eyes widened.

“what the hell, wait, since when did- wait, are you guys back together?”

She took the phone and returned it to her bag.

“I don’t have to answer that anymore,”

“oh really, so you are finally playing the game, huh, you string me and now you want a piece of the action from your ex, is that it?”

I could see she was feeling uncomfortable, and it made me even angrier, my voice increased steadily drawing more attention to our table.

“excuse me, where you the one who ordered a bottle of champagne?” a server had suddenly appeared in front of us with a bottle of ice but he hadn’t expected my reaction that stunned everyone because I got up and gave him a hard slap on his face.

“you are very stupid, will you get the hell out of here!” I cursed.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 10:16pm On Aug 30, 2021
EPISODE TWO - PAGE SEVEN CONTD

He moved backwards letting the bucket of ice and the wine drop to the floor as he tightened his hands around his cheeks in agony.

“why did he do that?”

“that guy is crazy?”

“he should be thrown out!”

A few people barked at me as I watched Annette take her leave, I hissed angrily at the thought that I had made a mistake of not trying to make her stay, of not telling her all those things I had imagined telling her when I eventually saw her, I was a big mess alright and it was certain this was the kind of mess I would find myself in.

Who needed her anyway, I didn’t give a damn anymore, she could strung her ex as much as she wanted, I would easily get any girl I damn wanted so she was nothing to me I encouraged myself in the midst of another issue.

I was made to apologize which didn’t happen and ended up parting with some money and definitely a life ban from the fast food – all things, I didn’t give a damn about at that point.

I branched into a liquor store and got myself some heavy bottles and some packs of Benson, tonight I was going to drown my sorrows away and forget about Annette.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 10:18pm On Aug 30, 2021
DEAR ESTEEMED READERS

EPISODE MAY BE OUT EARLY TOMORROW OR NEXT TOMORROW, BE REST ASSURED WILLIAM HAS A LOT MORE SURPRISES FOR YOU AND JOSEPH, WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE CHARACTER, IS HE REALLY INNOCENT?
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 3:48pm On Aug 31, 2021
EPISODE THREE - PAGE ONE

I had become conscious I had been snoring and only needed to open my eyes to realized I had slept in the floor of the bedroom last night with my vomits painted across the ground and the even the wall; again there was the headache and extreme weakness in my body I had noticed the other day.

I sat up, back laid against the toilet seat and spat what I felt were remnants of my puke still in my mouth, the excessive alcohol and cigarettes had done a good job to keep my mind off Annette but now it seemed I had to do it all over again.

Grrrh…Grrrhh…Grrrhhh!

I rolled my eyes around hoping to find my phone which was covered in my vomit of course, I gave a dull frown and picked it up like a mother would pick the soiled diaper of her baby.

“hello,”

“Good morning brother, it’s james,”

James was my uncle’s only son who I shared the majority of my childhood after his uncle took me in.

“hey james – how are you,” I tried to find my voice.

“You sound funny, are you okay?”

“yeah am good just having breakfast,” of course I couldn’t tell him I was covered in my own vomit.

“oh sweet, listen uncle asked me to call you, he hasn’t been feeling well for some time, he wants to talk to you, is it possible you could go see him – I wish I was in Nigeria I would have loved to see you brother,” james said.

There are only a few people I really cared about, Uncle Ibu was one of them in fact I was what I am because he did what many wouldn’t for me.
“Sure, I will be at the old man’ s place today,”

“that’s nice of you brother, now how are you and that your girl, what’s up with you two?”

Maybe I could have talked a bit more with him but his last responses threatened to open an unhealed sore I was still struggling with.

“I have to go now big brother, will definitely be around to see uncle,”

“oh okay, that’s okay, take care now,”

I dropped the phone again and helped myself up, scattered in my room were pieces of bottles and I wouldn’t know until I had stepped on one.
By 11:13 am I had visited a nearby clinic and gotten my leg bandaged for the cut was deep and I was unable to stop the bleeding successfully.
Now I had to limp for a while as I went on with trying to live my life but of course fashi was always going to call.

“willy boy, what is happening, get over to the station immediately, the boy wants you,”

“he wants me?”

“he asked they get him the lawyer, chief bode was around – now you hurry so I can give you the full gist,”

Fashi’s excitement was as pleasant as my vomit to me still I had to pretend I was interested in the whole affair.

“I will be at the station soon, let me go change,” I replied, I came upon a laundry service that offered home service and quickly realized how dirty my laundry was, I got the number down in hopes of making further contact some other time.

My office had been without me for a long time and I gave no worry in the world to it, years ago I sat beneath that desk and eagerly waited for cases and if I was lucky I got one that almost never paid the bills and then fashi came around, suddenly I could own a car, I could buy a landed property, I could afford some of the most expensive things I could browse out on the internet.

I got home quickly and changed into what I considered smelt less of dirt and dampness than the others and wore it.

For the first time I visited the mirror and was in dismay over what I saw; surely I couldn’t go on like this.

Somehow Annette breaking up with me had done me some little good even though it looked like the most terrible thing to happen to me.
That emptiness and restlessness had been substituted for a conscience and a dire need for rehabilitation.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 3:50pm On Aug 31, 2021
EPISODE THREE - PAGE TWO

I suddenly wanted to look good once more so I took another thirty minutes to clean up and then I pressed my cloths so that it looked good on me.

I branched to some eatery on my way to the station and ate a good meal, now this was close to how I lived my life still I could have used a little bit of Annette in it.

I revised into a parking space and easily found my way to fashi’s office who was on a call, we exchanged glances as I walked in and I took a seat quickly.

“you still look like hell but this is better,” fashi said with a smile I was contented with.

“so I take it you are done mourning your woman?”

“just tell me why I am here?” my voice reminded him of my temperament to which he frowned at.

“okay suit yourself, the boy wants to talk, the chief came directly here from the airport, they said he had been in paris for a month now, the chief wants a law court hearing and has ordered for a full investigation into the matter, Akpin will be here with a full list of eye witnesses and finally we will really know what happened,” fashi declared.

“eye witnesses? It seems more likely that the boy did do it,”

“or it seems more likely that the boy didn’t do it,”

I stared at him, quite confused at his words.

“listen, the boy wants to talk to you, get his side of the story, it doesn’t matter if he is the bad guy or not, I smell papers here and that is all that matters, go talk to your client now,”

“he is not my client,”

“yes that’s correct, he is our client, he is your and my ticket out of all this,”

I hissed dully and took my leave I figured out as long as I was busy during the day and I had booze and smoke to cover the night, I was going to be just fine.

Again an officer had seen me approaching the interrogation room where I knew Joseph would be waiting for me, definitely the guy must have had a reality check and realized I was his savior after all – of course, that was what I wanted him to believe.

He sat there as he did the first time but this time his eyes darted towards me when I walked in yet he said nothing.

“So I heard you wanted to talk to me,” a mild grin crumpled my face.

“is it true what they say about you?” he asked.

“excuse me?”

“they say I shouldn’t trust you, they say you are not what you say you are?”

“what are you talking about, who is they and what did they say to you?”

He smiled dully with some mystery in his eyes.

“you don’t have to worry, God has told me everything that is to happen and you are the right person for the job, you will get me free, I have seen it,” he said with a nod of approval.

If I hadn’t know it I might have thought this was a paid actor trying out his movie script, what the hell was this bloody rapist talking about I wondered.

“listen I really don’t know what you are talking about but like I said I want to help, now it seems you are to be charged to court very soon so from here onwards, we are going to have to work together, that means I will need the absolute truth from you, everything you say to me is vital and has to be the truth, is that understood?”

He nodded.

“good, now I need you to tell what really happened?” I said producing my phone to record our conversation.

He made no rush to start his story and I found it hard to keep my cool all the while.

“My name is Joseph Akindel, I have been working for chief Ignatius bode Michael for five years now, I am-“

“you mean was, right?”

He chuckled at my response.

“I am the caretaker of the bode mansion and my job was to manage the forty-three employees in the house including chefs, cleaners, gardeners and-“
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 3:52pm On Aug 31, 2021
EPISODE THREE - PAGE THREE

“why don’t we skip your glory days and focus on the main aspect of the story,”

“oh this is the main aspect of my story for how would you know what a man can do if you don’t know what he did, I can assure you my past is relevant to your judgment,”

“my judgment, what do you mean?”

“well I am in chains right, to you, I have been judged a rapist but now I tell you my story, if you listen to it then you have the opportunity to change your earlier judgment about me because I will be telling you the truth,”

“truth, you think the world cares about truth, the world cares about facts, fact is what the judge needs not the truth,”

“yet you asked me for the truth, you said-“

“it doesn’t matter what I said joseph, listen to me, in the court of law if the judge judges a black color as white, then a black color is white, it doesn’t matter how innocent you are-“

“tell me mr. barrister, what makes a fact, is it a lie or a truth, you say in the court of law a black color could be assumed as white but does that make the black color truly white?”

Again I had counted how many times it would have taken me to beat this guy to stupor.

“listen to me you piece of – listen to me, I am here to help you,”

“are you a believer, Mr. barrister?”

“shit!” I slammed my fists on the desk out of anger.

He watched me in utter amusement as a kid would stare at something that caught its fancy.

“this anger, it’s not yours, why are you angry mr. barrister?”

“now you listen, you bloody rapist” I said bending my frame over the desk to grab hold of his neck with my hands. “this is how we are going to work,” I squeezed his neck even though he put up no resistance. “I ask the questions and you answer them, is that understood?”

The door creaked open and I immediately took my hands off his neck , I didn’t know it yet but the police officer had seen what I did.

“it’s okay, we are fine, we are just having some disagreement, that’s all,” joseph said.

The police officer stared at me for a moment or two and then locked the door once more.

For the next five minutes we said nothing to each other.

“I was put in charge of people quite older than me but somehow it worked, I was loved by my boss because I did my job perfectly, his sort of business means he has to travel every now and then and a month ago was no different.

I was to manage the house until he was back, the chief isn’t a perfect man nor was I but he was a good man who God had blessed, he has two daughters, Silvia and Sophia from his first marriage, silvia had a fondness for me, she was a good girl, intelligent, beautiful, humble, kind and more than that a believer but like the unlikely duo of any action movie her sister was the opposite, Sophia was a torn in everyone’s flesh including her sister’s unfortunately the chief’s new wife,”

For the first time I noticed a frown on his face; surely he didn’t look good with it like I did.

“the chief’s second wife was not what I had expected, she was young and supported Sophia always which gave the rest of us more problems since I and Sophia had to clean up after them all the time, some we told the chief about and some we couldn’t but once silvia had to travel to Sweden to further her studies, I knew I was going to get into a lot of trouble but I had a job to do and I was going to do it, that fateful day was just like any other, I was making the rounds and checking the rooms were all cleaned up including the empty ones, I had my master keys with me which the chief himself only gave to me when he was going on a long trip, I came across one of the empty rooms which surprisingly was locked so I opened it and walked in, I could hear the showers running and so when I went there to stop it thinking one of the cleaners might have let run, I found –“

I must have been at the edge of my seat by that time he stopped and I was angry he stopped.

‘why did you stop, what did you see, joseph?”

“I saw –“again, he acted as though he was a car that had suddenly developed a mechanical fault and couldn’t go on.

“what did you see, damn it?” I barked.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 3:54pm On Aug 31, 2021
EPISODE THREE - PAGE FOUR

“am sorry, I can’t say any more for now,” he said nodding reluctantly. “officer, we are done for the day!” he called out.

“what are you doing, we are not done-“

“oh we are not entirely done but this is where I have been told to stop my story, be patient with me now, I still feel sore from your grip around my neck,” he said, somehow I could tell he was toying with me.

The officer came in and seemed happy to walk him out as I watched.

“You have a splendid day, Mr. barrister,” he added as they walked out.

It was then I noticed how sweaty I was, fashi would certainly not be pleased if he heard about what I had done or how miserable my attempt to get the boy’s story, so I figured I was better taking my leave without seeing him; an over the phone chatter seemed appropriate to deal with any fall out.

I returned home and made the call to the laundry service, pete would have to supervise them while I decided to pay my uncle a visit.

It was long since I paid the old man a visit and I really didn’t have an answer for why it had taken this long.

Funmi the house maid was still around and I was impressed how grown up she was, she had been employed to take care of the man once his wife died and he suffered a stroke.

“Uncle, welcome” she said to me as I got out of my car.

“Funmi, look at you, you look so big and sexy,” she hadn’t taken this type remark well so her smile went down a notch.

“Uncle would be happy to see you,” she said as we walked in.

I found my uncle in his bed Asleep, he was really sick and the sight made me feel bad over my short comings.

“how long has he been like this?”

“its been two weeks,”

“he has to go to the hospital, why didn’t you call me or brother-“

“I called multiple times but you didn’t pick anyway he doesn’t want us to worry, he refused the idea when james talked to him on the phone then and I am sure if you suggest it he will also refuse it but try uncle, I don’t want anything to happen to him,” Funmi said with teary eyes.
“nothing will happen to him, I am here now, you go have some rest, if we need you I will call out to you,” I said.

I hadn’t taken a step further as funmi took her leave when my uncle coughed.

“my boy, you came to see me after all,”

I joined him by his bedside.

“uncle, I am sorry, I have been really busy all this time,”

“it is okay, I understand, I am just happy you are here,” he said faintly.

“uncle we have to go to hospital, you are not looking-“

“no, no more needles and white pills that make me wish for my death, I am old, my body can’t go through all that anymore,” he complained bitterly.

“Okay, I have heard but I am going to get nurse to come check on you daily from now on-“

“no more drugs!”

I could tell he saw through my little trick.

“okay, okay whatever you say uncle,”

“good, I am happy you are here, I don’t know which of this days may be my last so now I have you here , this is the time I try-“ he coughed. “ now, I need to know,”

“know what uncle?”

“your mother, William, you haven’t forgiven her, have you?”

I said nothing as I looked away; guilty as charged.

“William, she just like I have paid for our sins, you forgave me many years ago and-“

“you didn’t do anything uncle,”
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 3:56pm On Aug 31, 2021
EPISODE THREE - PAGE FIVE

“I did do something, nothing, I did nothing and that was unforgivable,”

“You are right, you did nothing but you gave me everything uncle, I am who I am right now because you took me away and gave me a life, something my parents took away from us,”

“yes but that is so many years ago William, your father is no more and whether you like it or not your mother is still your mother-“

“she is not my mother, uncle I don’t have a mother, I am an orphan boy you raised up to become somebody in life, i have no biological parents,” I could see myself getting angry now.

He chuckled and coughed miserably.

“always angry, William this anger in you is unnatural, I have always said it,”

His words reminded me of Joseph’s words. “you have to forgive her, she may not know the meaning of it but-“

“I will never forgive that woman, not in this life and not in my next, never and ever – she will pay the price of the pain she caused us,”

“forgiveness is not what you do for others, it’s what you do for yourself, William, my boy, you have to forgive my sister, this is all I ask of you,”
I leapt up angrily and walked away.

“I can’t listen to all this rubbish, uncle I am sorry but this is trash to me, I won’t ever forgive that wicked woman, she deserves all she is getting and more, I won’t-“

Suddenly I realized how quiet the room had become, uncle ibu wasn’t coughing or reacting to my lashing out, he was as still as the walls themselves.

“uncle?” my voice melted as I ran to confirm what I suspected – my uncle was dead.

When I had managed to get a few things in place, I came home for the night, fashi had called and when I hadn’t he sent a text of my immediate presence first thing tomorrow at the station – I sensed trouble but was wiling to let tomorrow take care of it.

I had my laundry taken care of and pete had been excellent with the supervision but he only received a scolding from me and returned to his house with his tail behind his legs.

With my uncle’s death and a few more calls than I would have appreciated I suddenly had the need to strung a lady.

It was close to 9pm and I decided to go to the bar, not the deluzy but the other one I had picked up my mystery lady as I had tagged her, maybe I could be lucky this time, then I would remember it all.

I collected my keys and drove out and before 10 pm I was at the bar.

Grrh..Grrhh…Grrhhh

My phone went on and on until I decided to pick – I was reminded about how helpless I truly felt when I saw annette’s number.

What did she want now I lamented on one part and rejoiced on the other.

“Hello,”

“William, I heard, I am so sorry about what happened,” her voice carried genuine sympathy not like the lots I had received all day.

I cleared my throat and came alive with my act.

“Yeah, thanks,”

“How are you holding up, how did james take it?”

“we are fine, thanks for asking but I have to go now,” I said.

There was a delay in her response and somewhere in my heart I rejoiced bitterly, she left me so she couldn’t complain now of how I treated her even though she never complained.

“Just let me know if you need anything if it’s within my power I will-“

“No I don’t need anything, I am good, you take care of yourself and your boyfriend now, okay?”

“William, I-“

She ended the call after then, I stood there for a minute wondering what she wanted to say to me soon after the emptiness and the sadness occupied my soul.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 3:58pm On Aug 31, 2021
EPISODE THREE - PAGE FIVE CONTD

My only hope perhaps was finding my mystery girl just maybe she could help me truly forget about annette.

I walked inside and was forced to accept the obvious truth – mystery girl wasn’t around, but maybe someone here knew her, maybe she was a regular here.

I found my way to the bar man, a bit fat bland character he was, who kept his eyes on me as if I was some criminal or a police man about to interrogate him.

“I am looking for someone?”

“I can’t help you,”

“maybe you can,” I replied exposing a five hundred naira note so he could see it.

“who is this person you are asking about?” he replied collecting the note from me.

“it’s a girl, I was here some time ago, and she was at my table-“

“listen a lot of people come here daily, you have to be specific about this person,”

He was right, I wasn’t expecting a scene from nollywood where the herbalist did his black magic and found the source of my worries.

I stood there trying to remember even the sligthest thing I could about the mystery girl but came up empty handed.

“its fine but you owe me one, if ever there is a girl who smells of lavender walks in, can you call me?” again this was going to be a drop of water into an ocean – I wasn’t expecting any acts of honor from him.

“sure, drop your number,” he said.

I gave him a number and decided I didn’t want to drink there, I drove back to the Deluzy bar where I was certain I would find good company for night ahead.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 3:59pm On Aug 31, 2021
AUTHOR'S NOTE

So what is this about william's mother and who could this mystery girl really be? EPISODE FOUR will be answering one of this questions and william is in for a hot surprise.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 8:40pm On Sep 02, 2021
EPISODE 4 - PAGE ONE

By the time I had woken up, I was certain my phone had rung more times than the president’s hot line.

But I couldn’t be bothered by that, yesterday evening hadn’t gone according to plan, I had the drinks and a few cigarettes but all this I did alone even though there was plenty of company to keep my mind off annette and the mystery girl, somehow I let them date the pace of my actions and so I drove him, drunk and miserable.

Now I was up reluctantly, fashi had asked we met early that morning and I was anxious about what he had to say.

I had thought he would have been the one calling that morning but it was a strange number so I did what I always do – ignore it.

By the time I arrived at the station, my mystery caller had given me twenty three missed calls, still I bothered not myself to pick.

Somewhere in the distance I could hear, cameras clicking and a mob of voices fighting for dominance.

This, I recognized as a press conference and my heart sank immediately when I saw fashi standing at some elevation answering a host of journalists and reporters.

What was this about, could it be about joseph, did someone leak out the gist I wondered, if that was the case then I would have to make myself scarce so I returned to my car and watched the show.

It took another twenty minutes before the press disbanded and I was in the clear so I walked into the station to find another piece of drama waiting.

Her voice carried a lot of aggression; such I could be proud of if it wasn’t directed at me – thankfully it wasn’t directed at me.

She was of average height and probably mid twenties, dark, round faced and made long braids that covered her shoulders, cute eyes and a pointy nose with glistering brown lip paint, she was wearing a t-shirt on blue jean – I could tell she was the smart kind.

“calm down, madam!” fashi replied as I turned to stare at them.

“what, what is this about?” I tried to find out from an officer who paid me no attention.

“you think you can get away from assault don’t you, i swear you all are going to get what is coming,” her voice, resentful towards fashi and the other officers who watched confusingly at.

“I said calm down, this is a police station for God sake-“ another police officer was cut shut.

“to hell with you all,” she said moving backwards. “you dare call yourself policemen - oh you all are going to pay!”

Now it became clear to me, who she was and why she was mad at the police men; she was joseph’s fiancee.

“I am going to sue you all for assault and that goes a double for the officer who assaulted him” she called. “I don’t know what sick game you all are playing with my fiance but if any of you lay a single hand on you,” she scoffed like one drunken with power.

“then you will not be answering a press conference on allegations of assault but the real deal,”

“may I remind you of the serious crime your boyfriend or whatever is accused of?”

“he is innocent! And who are you to say that, what have you all done to investigate those false claims levelled against him by his boss’s wife and daughter, why aren’t you all doing your jobs nut you all stoop so low to assault him?” she snapped again.

“I have heard it with you now, first you create a scene in here and now you are accursing us of not doing our jobs?” fashi said angrily. “Officers, please escort her out!”

She protested violently as two officers’ nudged her out of the station.

“you, follow me!” fashi said to me with some authority.

I wasn’t in any big trouble I assured myself still the scene had worked us up and probably fashi the most.

We starred at each other for a long time and soon he was ready for me.

“you left quite early yesterday,”

“yeah, my uncle passed away,” I dropped my ace card.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 8:43pm On Sep 02, 2021
EPISODE 4 - PAGE TWO

“yeah, oldies go when they go, sorry about that,” not an ounce of sympathy I could easily tell in his voice. “can I ask what is going on with the boy?”

“He is been a smart ass but I think-“

“think? You are not here to think willy boy, you are here to get his own story so we know how best to proceed,” he paused and produced a file for me.

“the crazy lady came in yesterday afternoon, she is joseph’ fiancee, did you grip the boy’s neck out of frustration or anger or both?” he asked.

“It was just a-“

“it was just a - is not enough, this morning I had to give a public hearing to small press conference about allegations of police brutality, this is her doing, she is threatening us with going public with the matter,”

“but she can’t do that, if she does her fiancé's face gets splattered across every news paper in the country,”

“that’s the only thing holding her backwards, anyway none of that matters anymore, do you know why?” he said waving his hand at the file, urging me to pick it up and read.

“those are witnesses testimonies of the cleaners, security guards and the daughter,”

“they all came to the station?”

Fashi scoffed. “came? Akpin sent one of his boys to bring in those pieces of garbage for me,”

He replied as I ran my eyes through the written statements.

“they are all-“

“same, except for the daughter’s own, it has alittle bit of finesse to it but I can see through the decent,”

“you mean the boy could be really innocent?”

“I don’t know willy boy but it doesn’t matter, witness testimony is huge deal and with akpin running the show we can’t touch anyone here, joseph’s fiancé is returning this afternoon with her lawyer so you are off the case, I hope you are happy now,” fashi said with a disgruntled face.

I could say all I want but there was no remedying the situation, I had messed up big time but deep down I was happy this was over.
I was about to come with my apology when fashi’s phone rang.

“what – oh, they are hiring their prosecutor as well, I see, okay, there’s no problem, just send me the details I will take care of the rest,” fashi’s call was brief.

“I just got a call from Akpin, they have hired a lawyer to run the prosecution, I guess they must have heard about joseph’s lawyer as well, they want to nail the boy on the cross, he won’t escape it now and we can’t make any cash on this” fashi said.

“I am very-“

“save the apology willy boy, you haven’t been yourself lately, I don’t know how she did it but you are a wreck right now and wrecks are not good for business, if there is a way I can still make something out of this, I will be doing it on my own, you go get yourself fixed, okay?”
I nodded dully and stood to take my leave but just then a message came in on fashi’s phone.

“I can’t believe this,” he said softly.

“what, what is that?”

“nothing that should be of any concern to you willy boy, go now,” he replied, I had taken it as my farewell attempt to show I still did feel bad about what had happened.

I walked back to my car feeling a host of emotions and decided a bottle would help me handle the situation and then again my phone began to ring, again it was my mystery caller and this time I needed someone to scream at.

“who the bloody hell are you, what on earth do you want huh?” I blasted.

There was no reply probably because the person’s ears had been damaged from listening to my rant.

“am so sorry sir, I am very sorry-“ a female voice responded.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 8:46pm On Sep 02, 2021
EPISODE 4 - PAGE THREE

“see you had better stop calling me, I don’t give a damn-“

“My fiancé asked me to reach out to you, he says you can help him, please sir he is in the prison for a crime he didn’t commit,”
I shuddered where I stood.

What on earth was going now I asked myself, was this some foul trickery or what?

“hello, hello sir, are you there?”

“who is this again?” I asked, this time I had found some calm in my voice forced out by my curiosity to unravel the mystery.

“My name is Dorothy, my husband to be says I should reach out to you, please he is been charged of a crime by his boss’s wife and daughter,”

“I am sorry, have we met before, I mean do you know who I am?” I asked.

“not at all sir but joseph says you can help us,”

“he said that??”

“yes sir, he said a lot of good things about you please sir, he needs your help, I fear there is a conspiracy going on,”

“conspiracy? What is this about, who is planning – I mean what have you heard and who is telling you this?”

“I don’t know sir, It is just a thought because the police could be up to no good,”

The whole story was taking form in my head and clearly she had no idea the same person she had accused of assault was the same person she was reaching out to.

Somehow, I could just imagine a scenario where Joseph had acted the part of the good Samaritan and i hadn't been exposed and a little window of opportunity for me to redeem myself in fashi’s sight.

“Joseph is a good friend of mine, you need not worry about it, I too have been working hard to see he is free, have you a lawyer yet?”

“Well sir, you see, I haven’t been able to get one yet but I will, the cost of hiring one has been very-“

“don’t worry about it, I will take care of it, in fact, I will send one right away to go talk with joseph if you agree to it,” I said with a mischievous smile on my face.

“really, you would do that? Thank you so much-“

“don’t thank me yet, there is a lot to do and joseph would have to be cooperative so we can know what really happened- I don’t suppose he told you anything yet has he?” I asked.

“Well he says he is innocent sir and I believe he is,”

What a fool I cursed in my heart.

“yes, truly he is innocent, I want you to relax your mind now, I will get a lawyer to work with joseph starting from today,”

“thank you so much, could you please send me the contacts of the lawyer-“

“eh, sure, I will do that later on,” I lied.

Our conversation ended and It was then I realized I was sweaty , I rushed back to the station to see fashi.

“it can still work,” I said, barging into fashi’s office.

“work? What will work, why are you still here, aren’t you supposed to be-“

“we can still figure something out,”

I said before I explained the details of the case, fashi immediately agreed there was still hope of making something out of it.

“is there any reason why you think the boy still wants you on the case?”

“I don’t know and I don’t think we should care about that,”

“yeah but maybe you could find out, he is really one strange boy,” fashi replied.

“I have to go talk to him, don’t i?”

“yes you have to and this time-“

“I will take things easy with him but the-“
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 8:49pm On Sep 02, 2021
EPISODE FOUR - PAGE FOUR

“you will take things easy with him, that’s a promise right?”

“yeah, yeah I will,” I declared.

I found my way back to the interrogation room but this time there was no officer waiting around at the door.

“its good to see you Mr. barrister,” Joseph said.

“it’s good you are seeing me, joseph,” I took my seat.

“I hope my fiancé didn’t cause a scene today, I heard she wasn’t happy with someone who tried to choke her fiancé the other day,” joseph said.
“so you figured out the best way to get me back here with you was to-“

“If I told her the person who will get me out of here is also the one who tried to be rough with me, it would make things difficult for us all,”
“I see, you see quite certain I am here to get you free.”

well in all honesty all this has been predestined, it is not a lie, you are going to set me free, this I have seen its why I can’t allow my fiancée to ruin our agreement,”

“agreement, what agreement?”

“you said you will be representing me, didn’t you? Well I accept your offer,”

I didn’t have time to think but if I did I could just think of the worst kind of trap been set up for me to fall in but was he really that sort of person and what sort of trap could he be preparing I imagined.

“what is this to you?”

“what do you mean Mr. barrister?”

“all this, is this some game you are-“

“a game, no, a prophecy, yes, fate, yes, you can say I am just following-“

“enough of all this silly talk about prophecies, God and-“

“you don’t believe in God do you?”

“I don’t believe in make up stories, I believe in facts, I believe in evidence and right now, there are witnesses statement detailing how you were caught in your underwear with the boss’s daughter,”

“yet I was brought in, fully clothed, yet I believe none of the so called witnesses ever walked down to this station, Akpin hates me he believes a young man like myself shouldn’t have such control over the affairs of the employees, its so sad because I see him as a brother-“

“and now your brother wants you to rot in prison,” I paused and starred at him and for the first time, I didn’t regarded him as a mere criminal, there was something about him I might have liked about him given the right circumstances. “Did you do it?” I asked.

“Does it matter to you now?”

“I have to know, don’t I? And you have to tell me what really happened,” I said.

“Not yet Mr. barrister-“

“what do you mean not yet, you won’t even write a statement saying you are innocent, what is not yet, what does it mean?”
Joseph looked away from me dolefully and remained silent for a while.

“I don’t know, I had a dream and I don’t know what it means yet, I have to be patient so I can understand it better, it will guard me on what I have to say,” he replied.

There was no point getting angry, he was resilient; this much I had come to accept.

“So what do we do now, just so you know, the bode family is hiring their prosecutor and with the witnesses statements alone its as clear as daylight we are fighting a lost battle,”

Joseph thought about it for a while and then nodded to himself.

“First I want to answer your question?”

“What question?”

“You asked if I did it, well there is someone, Mrs. Cordelia eze, she will answer that question for me,”

“Who is she to you?”
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 8:52pm On Sep 02, 2021
EPISODE FOUR - PAGE FIVE

“Not to me, to the bode family, she will answer any question about who I am and why i could never do such a thing, She lives at 21 Abudhi street, here in lagos, its not hard to find,”

I scribbled the address down to show my interest.

“okay, I have it, I will see the police get-“

“Not the police, you, I want you to go and see her,”

Surely this guy was toying with me, I could just feel it.

“you want me your defense attorney to do the work of a police investigator?”

“well, you are the only one who has asked if I did it, the police do a fine job of keeping me here like the criminal they assume I am but you, you should know different because you asked,” he replied.

“okay, sure, I will check it out,” I said with no iota of truth to my words.

He gave me that look Annette gave to me whenever I said a lie and then smiled again.

“I am tired now, I would like to return back to my cell,”

He had given me the slip and I needed to take my leave.

“Sure, I will get them to get you out,”

I walked out and returned back to fashi to discuss the details of our conversation.

“I bet he is crazy,” fashi said.

“Whether he is a psychopath or not, he is enjoying himself that I can tell,”

“well, that means nothing to us, does it?”

“no it doesn’t but have you tried investigating the case yourself, I mean enforce standard criminal investigation procedures, it could-“
Fashi’s rude laughter interrupted my response.

“Investigate who? Please you have to come up with a better joke, who gives a damn about nonsense like that anymore, do you think we could make as much as we do if I let those bastards do thorough investigations, listen willyboy, I don’t know what the kid’s deal is but we can string him, I have been thinking of a plan and I think it is going to work now, with or without his statement or side of the story?”

‘really, wow that’s amazing, so I don’t have to listen to his Jehovah witness blabbering ,” I was excited but then fashi became as cold as ice; I could tell his new plan heavily depended on the things I wish I could avoid at the moment.

“don’t say it, just make sure it works,” I said a bit disgruntled.

“It will, just keep letting the boy think he has a future to look up to, I will do the rest,” fashi said like the man with the plan.

I took my leave and returned to my car, I found the piece of paper I had scribbled the address joseph had given to me and threw it away, my next stop was to go to a bar where I intended to spend the rest of my day.

By 8:05 pm I had smoked a pack of benson but kept the bottles at a steady pace so I didn’t drive into a gutter, the day’s scenario danced to and fro in my head, joseph was certainly an odd character and what exactly was he planning, if he wasn’t quiet then who was responsible, akpin or someone else I imagined but I wasn’t to concern myself with thinking about the boy so I drank more.

Then I heard her voice, ordering a bottle of cold radler, I turned around and found her and had it not been that I had seen her earlier on I wouldn’t have known it was she.

Clothed in a pink top that barely reached her kneels, she seemed rather beautiful now I looked at her but then she had turned around and our eyes met.

She gave me that look one gave when they tried to remember someone’s face except she didn’t have to go the full length to remember mine. I remained calm where I was as I tried to come up with a plan over my identity.

“so we meet again,” she said dully, with eyes that regarded me no more than they would a a stranger; a very interesting one.

“Hi, we meet again, who are –“then it hit me suddenly; she smelt of lavender.
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 11:16am On Sep 04, 2021
EPISODE FIVE - PAGE ONE

My phone paid no attention to the hate I had started to have for its eary morning routine, I was never the early bird and rearly cared about such healthy benefits of doing such but for weeks my phone had been like an overbearing parent; ruining the litle sleep I could find each night.

“hello, who is this?” I asked drowsily.

“hey bastard,”

My nerves flinched when I heard that.

“hey crazie bastard, are you there or have you gone nuts in the-“

“ how did you get my number, you son of a coward!” I asked angrily, wiping my eyes clean.

“well that should be the least of your problem, your problem should be how you are going to lose your to me just like you lost annette to me infact I –“

“you are a sick, cowardly bastard you know that right?”

“I am not a sick cowardly-“

“shut the hell up Daniel, did you call me to gloat about-“

“do you know what happened yesterday night, I strung her like the LovePeddler she was, man, I swear-“

“you listen to me now you bastard, I will-“

“what will you do, try to take her away from me again? Huh you think you can just have anything you want? not this time, I am going to deal with you, I swear on my life-“

“a coward with no balls that’s what you are!” I was about to release some hot steams of my poison vocally when I realized he had ended the call – you see why I said, he was a coward.

Daniel Atugha, believe it or not was my best friend back in the university, he was fair and with good height, the brigthest in the class who came from an extremely wealthy background unlike me but what I lacked in papers both literally and non-literally I aced in my facial appeal and character.

You see daniel was a baby faced adult although I was two years older than him, still he had the most unappealing facial characteristics and boy, was he a snobbish and arrogant prick, but our partnership was made in heaven.

A commensal affair that saw my grades appeal better to that part of me that knew the importance of good grades as was my account which got thicker with zeros as long as I knew how to work him and he got the girls and the post of my right hand man which came with a lot of swagga and popularity by which he was able to win the student’s presidential election; in few words, we did things for each other until annette came around.

“f**K!” I screamed loud and overly pissed that I wanted to dial his number and insult his very existence but the coward had switched his phone off; quite thoughtful of him.

Then I calmed down, somewhere in my head I felt there was something I had missed while Daniel ranted but I couldn’t concentrate for long before my phone rang again, I picked it up out of sheer rage ; thankfully I had seen the number and knew I would have unsettled and scared someone else to death with my words.

“doctor eh,”

“its doctor ehichoya, sir, we need to talk, please can we-“

“I will be at the hospital this morning, say 10:00 pm, is that okay?” I said in disbelief of my words.

“are you certain you are going to be around, this time?”
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 11:18am On Sep 04, 2021
EPISODE FIVE - PAGE TWO

Of course he had to ask, I might have already proved a point why he should never again trust any one’s word with the consistent lies I had told him over the past weeks; even on Sundays!

“yeah, I will be there, isn’t that what you want?”

“yes, I mean no - I mean, listen its about your mother, we need to-“

“can you address her as the patient and not my mother,”

“excuse me?”

“isn’t she your patient, doctor?”

“yeah, I mean – well, she is but she is also - yes, she is,”

He must have sensed the futility in trying to start an argument with me and decided it was best he waved it off.

I ended the call and laid back into my day, Daniel had ruined my day even before it had the chance to bloom but maybe what unsettled me the most was the thought of his body against Annette's.

“Bastard!” I cursed, regretfully.

From there onwards it was a struggle to do anything yet I was determined to see doctor ehichoya in hopes that he never called me again.
I found myself at the reception of the psychiatrist hospital some fifty-five minutes later talking to an ugly character, a fat woman with a small head that sat on top her body like the nut on a cashew fruit, she hated me with her eyes and it was only fair I returned the courtesy.
“I am here to see Doctor Ehichoya, he is expecting me,” I said, her movement was such a snail would be proud but she picked the phone and rang for a few minute.

“you are Mr. Williams Ena-“

“yes,that’s the one,” I replied curtly.

“go up stairs, third door by your right,” she said pulling her eyes away from me and back to the register that laid open on her table.

I left her and found the doctor’s office and walked in once I found out it was open, the office was anything but interesting, a wallpaper with the human brain laid on the wall battling with the dust, an old cabinet I suspected could be used to smuggle someone out of the hospital.

Dr. Ehichoya had never struck me like a doctor, he looked like an old pensioner; grey hair, wrinkled face and bottle glasses I could have sworn did just the opposite of what they were intended yet his voice seemed the most calming for a doctor as was his attitude.

“hah, I wasn’t expecting you would come, its good to see that you did, please take a seat,” he pointed me, to the only vacant chair in the office.

“well, I am here, let’s have it, what is it with the patient?”

He took off his glasses and dropped them on the desk and produced a file from his drawer.

“sir, she is not improving whatsoever in fact, her condition is deteriorating fast, these days we have to,” he hesitated. “we have to chain her to the bed, feeding is even-“

“doctor, what exactly do you want me to do, send more money because I-“

“oh no sir, not that at all, I would have loved to show you something we noticed,”

“what is it?”

“your mother needs human interaction, your lady friend who did come around every once in a while stopped coming and-“

“and so?” I had had enough of annette for a day so I made sure to cut in.

“and since then its been downhill,”

“you say downhill as if the patient has had any progress before then,” I said.

My response gave him something to think about and then he nodded sympathetically.

“can I be frank with you Mr. williams?”

“sure, I am here, am I not?” I said taking a quick glance at his gigantic wall clock that laid on the wall opposite us; ready to take my leave.

“I have never seen a case like your mother’s-“
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 11:21am On Sep 04, 2021
EPISODE FIVE - PAGE THREE

“can we just please refer to her as the patient, am sorry I don’t agree with that term for reasons best known to me, is that okay?”

He stared at me, dazed by my response and only continued when he saw I was serious about it.

“the patient’s case is unique, I have never seen anyone like her, I was hoping your lady friend told you about the results of the scan we did – it’s the forth successful scan I have had to order for the patient and not a change, I just don’t-“

“Doctor, so what exactly are we talking about, why is my presence needed here?”

“is there anyone else who is related to her, I mean an uncle, aunty –“

“there is no one, she has no one,” I couldn’t help hide my satisfaction.

“okay then, so will you be willingly to accompany me to go see her, it will only take a few-“

“I can’t do that, I am sorry I am already running late, I have a client on my neck and you know that’s how I pay the patient’s bill, so are we done now?”

“well, okay but is it possible we can reschedule a visit, anytime, I am always here, its important she sees a familiar face from time to time, it helps-“

“sure thing doctor, I have to go now,” I stood and shook his hands and disappeared from the office before he could come up with any more ideas.

I hadn’t reached my car when my phone rang, it was Dorothy, my mind flashed back to the previous night.

“hello,”

“I need to speak with you, privately,”

I took a quick glance at my watch and figured we could talk over breakfast at some eatery.

“do you know peak’s fast food?”

“Hmmm, I said privately,”

“would you prefer to talk to me on hungry stomach and in my bedroom,”

I was savage for no reason.

“what time then?”

“in my bedroom?” now I was confused.

“really? Did you just ask that?” clearly she was unimpressed.

“it happened before, didn’t it,” I fired back. “at 12 pm, I will be there,”

She said nothing else and then hung up, I was eager to meet her and spill her guilty conscience out and probably tell me not to let joseph know about, she more than I was in a much worsen place yet I would strung her if I had the opportunity.

I drove away and as I got nearer to peak’s fast food, fashi called; his timer could never be so wrong as it was then, reluctantly I picked his call.
“get to the station immediately, something just came up, willyboy and it will change everything,” fashi’s excitement could out perform an excited teenager over a PS 5 console.

I had no chance to protest, breakfast or lunch as it was, had to wait, I revised back and drove away.

By the time I arived fashi’s office, I was drenched in terrible sweat somehow my car had a faulty ac and I only realized when I was stuck in a traffic.

“willyboy, good news!” he said.

“I was about to eat when you called,”

“never mind that willyboy, I have got information, good information that could put us in the right direction,”
“what is it,” I asked.

“I have information willyboy, something is up with the bode’s, akpin is furious and reshuffling the mansion’s security details and one of them who got the boot gave me something to think about,”

“what did the unhappy employer say and how can you trust he is saying the right thing,”

“oh you don’t have to worry about the authenticity I confirmed it early this morning, guess who wanted to have a one on one talk with the kid?”
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 11:23am On Sep 04, 2021
EPISODE FIVE - PAGE FOUR

“who?”

“Akpin,”

This was quite surprising to me.

“oh yeah, so I put up a officer to eavesdrop on their discussion and I confirmed the employee’s words,”

“so let’s have it,”

“well it turns out that joseph had asked for security surveillances cameras to be installed in the house but akpin hadn’t been informed and this was before his arrest and not everyone knew about it, so two days ago akpin found out and has been furious because there is a tape missing,”

“a tape you say, does this tape have anything to-“

“what else would make akpin come all the way to ask joseph about the tape,”

“and did joseph-“

“of course no, the kid is as hard as a rock, the kid said he knew nothing about a tape and when akpin wanted to go rough with him, I sent the bastard away,” fashi said satisfactorily.

“so what does this mean?”

“I think that tape contains evidence and akpin wants it, of course if it contains evidence then all this has been a cover up and the kid knows.”
“but it doesn’t make sense, I mean why would he withhold the most valuable piece of detail that could set him free?”

“who knows why God left the forbidden apple tree in the garden where Adam and eve were – listen, all that doesn’t matter, we need that tape or at least we need to know what is in that tape, I can bet my big saggy balls that the kid knows a lot more than he is telling you, we need that damn tape, go to him, let’s see what he is willing to tell you about the missing tape,” fashi demanded.

Sure, this was big news for the both of us but I still couldn’t think why fashi was interested in the tape at the moment yet I was ready to comply and do my part.

I walked out and found the one person I hadn’t expected to see at the station; Daniel Okugbo.

It had been three years since I saw him looking like the overgrown version of chucky the killer doll but apart from the fancy and probably expensive suit he had on, I was unimpressed.

We stood there sizing each other up; in my head, I finally figured out why daniel was at the station.

I had so much in my mind that I was willingly to let the coward walk off this one; just this one time so I walked past him.
“yeah, that’s what I expected,” his voice echoed in my head.

“what did you say to me?” I turned to stare at him realizing walking away was never going to be a reasonable decision when daniel was involved.

“I said you walking away like the lowly, pathetic loser you are, williams,”

I drew closer with a clenched fist. “did you say that with those tiny little balls of yours or-“

“you are a pathetic-“

I had gotten within striking distance and so I let him have it, a sweet fist filled with my rage and hatred for him.

It made a horrible sound that would have made a pro boxer give up his career so he staggered back screaming in sheer agony like the coward he was and through one of his nasal cavity, a clean stream of red blood flowed joyously.

He came at me like a car with no breaks but daniel was not a fighter, never was and never could even if his life depended on it which made me his bodyguard back then when things were rosy and so with no care in the world he got a second helping of my knuckles buried deep into his babyish cheek and then the scuffle began as two officers rushed at us as did fashi who appeared, looking confused.

“you will regret this, I promise you, you are going to rot in the prison where you should have been years ago,”
Re: A Modern Joseph Completed THE FINALE by WriterX(m): 11:24am On Sep 04, 2021
EPISODE FIVE - PAGE FIVE

The wailer maintained a hysteric pitch that could have given a choir, a race for their voices.

“what is going on here?”

Fashi demanded furiously as I tried to get at daniel, one more time.

“I will bloody sue you, you wretched beast of burden,” again, daniel blasted.

“yeah and maybe when the judge gives a verdict, he can give you some of his balls too, to fight like a real man,” I said to which the officer holding him backwards scoffed at.

“what the? Are you laughing at me?” daniel said, turning his attention to the officer.

“no sir, it wasn’t-“

The slap was loud and for a second I was grateful I could handle daniel squarely unlike the police officer who just stood there looking like a bigger coward than the perpetrator.

“that’s it, Mr. williams leave the station immediately, you two get out of here, all of you, get out, I will not have you-“

“to hell with all that commissioner, you think I give a damn, do you know who I am?” this was classic daniel still I knew fashi knew the lad could make life miserable for him if he wanted to, I walked away as did the two officers.

“yeah you better walk away but I promise you, you are going to regret it, every bit of it, you are going to wish that you never hit me, mark my words,” daniel threatened like some jilted lover but I didn’t care, I had dealt with that coward and was satisfied.

There wasn’t much I could do now, fashi wanted me out of the station and I had suddenly lost interest in talking to anyone, I took my leave.
As I walked up to my car, I could see daniel’s car; of course daniel was crazy about flashy cars and let me rode some of his collection which included a Lamborghini and seeing the fancy car parked where it was, the devil in me had just one more plan of action; a farewell gift for the coward.

I drove out of my parking space and hedged closer to the bumper of daniel’s Lamborghini until I could hear a painful screech; my car needed fixing anyway and wouldn’t cost much but I doubt daniel would worry less like I did.

I drove away feeling satisfied, checking my phone, I found a bunch of missed calls from dorothy and the time, a few minutes after 4 pm.
No point talking to her, I figured I wanted to enjoy the sweet memories of the day alone and figured some bottles and cigarettes were all the company I needed.

By 8:45 pm, I returned home and collapsed in my bed, this much I could remember and everything else went dark for me.

I woke up to the smell of lavender and this must have startled me for a bit but there she was, seated in a chair which she probably dragged from the dinning into my room, watching me like some prisoner who was about to make a run for it.

“you, what are you-“

“is that how you treated her?”

“who, treated who?” I sat up right only to realize I hadn’t taken off my clothes last night.

“your ex-“

“she is not my ex – I mean she is eh,”

It was the first time, I was hearing that word since annette and I broke up and for the first time, I hated it.

“oh, you still want her, don’t you?” she asked quite startled by my response.

“what do you want dorothy, do you want to join me in bed?” I asked with some seriousness lingering in my words to which she moved her eyes away from; clearly, she hated the idea.

“are you going to tell him?”

“yes I am,” I said just to see how scared and frightened she would be but I was disappointed terribly for she was calm.

“okay then but I want you to get him out still, he is your friend, isn’t he?”

Hardly, would have been my answer but she couldn’t know this not yet at least so I nodded.

“but why, I mean why did you do it?”

“why did I do it, what the hell are you talking about, I was drunk

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Comin Soon:the Campus Kaleidescope- Nigeria's No.1 Campus Magazine / Lets Have A Collabo. / 'In The Shadow Of A Saint' By Ken Saro Wiwa's Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 306
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.