Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,219 members, 7,839,157 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Is Learning C language Of Any Advantage To Data Science In The Long Run? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Learning C language Of Any Advantage To Data Science In The Long Run? (516 Views)

Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It / An INEC Voting Console Program Written In C Language / Is Learning Js Frameworks Necessary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Learning C language Of Any Advantage To Data Science In The Long Run? by AntiSimp: 2:43pm On Sep 04, 2021
I recently decided to give programming a go as I was kind of getting bored and uninspired by my current career path.
I want something more challanging, creative and fullfiling...And looking at my strength and interest, I realise I tilt towards number and analytic bent, so the idea of data science becomes tempting and prospective for me.
After some research about how to start, and my need for a solid background in the enterprise of programming and computer sci, I stumbled on CS5O being run by Havard on Edx, and adjudged with good reviews for beginners....so I'm following CS50 to get the basics, hoping that afterward, I can now progress to concentrate on datascience using python and its libraries, SQL and R.
.....While working on C, I get worried or sceptical abt the relevance of C in the long run..since I wouldn't probably run data analysis with C...I wonder why Havard introduce computer scien with C....And sometimes I hope I am not just wasting my time.
Will appreciate your advice and input. Thanks.
Re: Is Learning C language Of Any Advantage To Data Science In The Long Run? by Tolzy11(m): 2:56pm On Sep 04, 2021
I will advise you to rather learn Python or R
Re: Is Learning C language Of Any Advantage To Data Science In The Long Run? by mikael4me: 9:39pm On Sep 04, 2021
AntiSimp:
I recently decided to give programming a go as I was kind of getting bored, disillusioned and uninspired by my current career path.
I want something more challanging, creative and fullfiling...And looking at my strength and interest, I realise I tilt towards number and analytic bent, so the idea of data science becomes tempting and prospective for me.
After some research about how to start, and my need for a solid background in the enterprise of programming and computer sci, I stumbled on CS5O being run by Havard on Edx, and adjudged with good reviews for beginners....so I'm following CS50 to get the basics, hoping that afterward, I can now progress to concentrate on datascience using python and its libraries, SQL and R.
.....While working on C, I get worried or sceptical abt the relevance of C in the long run..since I wouldn't probably run data analysis with C...I wonder why Havard introduce computer scien with C....And sometimes I hope I am not just wasting my time.
Will appreciate your advice and input. Thanks.
I have also watched more than half of cs50 2020 edition, it's actually a good introduction to the basics of programing. It's starts off with C, moves to sqlite3, then python and how python could be used to query and manipulate relational databases, it's also touches upon on artificial intelligence (AI) using python library, deepfakes.. what I like most about cs50 is the passion of the facilitator to teaching programing... However as an aspiring data scientist just concentrate on using R, python, MySQL, and Excel spreadsheet; try to master pivoting and how to create a dynamic dashboard on Excel, you can also go further by learning vba.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Computer School. / What Is The Best Programming Language For Making Online Games / Interactive Card Detail Form Built By Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.