Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,487 members, 7,892,020 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 02:42 AM

Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member (5068 Views)

Tuface And Rep Member Herman Hembe Back In The Days / Video: Nigerian House Of Rep Member Defending Pay, Says He Is Not Payed Enough / Campaign Against Your Rep Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by maimalari: 6:30pm On May 23, 2011
‘Nigerians must be ready to pay for democracy’
By Jide Jegede
May 23, 2011 02:00AM
print  email   

The chairperson of the House of Representatives Committee on Appropriation, Ayo Adeseun, has said that Nigerians should be ready to bear the cost if they truly desire a working democracy.

Mr Adeseun, who defended the jumbo pay of the members of the national assembly, encouraged Nigerians to look at the fruit of democracy rather than the financial input.

“Democracy is not cheap. Democracy is very expensive. But the product of the expense is what the people should focus on,” he said. We have not been doing that. People malign us in the assembly, that we are stealing the money. Well, I think we must have a whipping boy. Somebody must be at the receiving end. But if Nigerians want democracy they must be willing to pay for it.”

The lawmaker, who was elected on the platform of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) during the last election to represent Oyo Central in the senate, also hinted that the house would settle the N10 billion loan crisis before it winds up its parliamentary sessions this week.

Last week, the lower chamber of the nation’s legislature almost sacked the speaker, Dimeji Bankole, over the allegation of taking a N10 billion loan in the name of the house, a development that has affected the allowances of members.

However, Mr Adeseun told journalists last weekend that the lapses arose from an error made in the 2010 budget of the national assembly, adding that the hope of accommodating the effect of the error in the 2011 appropriation bill was dashed by the alarm raised by Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) over the allegation that the legislature gulps the chunk of the nation’s overhead.

According to him, were it not for the refusal of President Goodluck Jonathan to sign the recently passed supplementary budget, the issue would not have blown open to the public.

‘Jumbo pay is necessary’

According to Mr Adeseun, the leadership of the house was making necessary efforts to see that the issues are resolved “in a matter of days” and to ensure that the house does not close on a rancourous note.

“It is most unfortunate that the event came about because it takes away from the very quality work that the house had done in the last four years and it is a disservice to the members and the institution itself. But that is life. We can’t always determine how events unfold. We are very much on top of the situation and we will soon resolve the matter,” Mr Adeseun said. “I am confident that in the next few days we would have resolved the crisis in the house. All efforts are underway to ensure that members are paid their entitlements and that the house closes on a very positive note.”

Speaking in defence of the humongous constituency allowances accruable to the federal lawmakers, Mr Adeseun said they were provided for to ensure that each of them effectively performed their oversight function.

He disclosed that there are many expenses the lawmakers incur while carrying out such oversight functions that could not be recorded for public record.

The lawmaker however agreed that many of his colleagues simply convert the allowances to personal use, while the jobs they are meant for are left undone.

Mr Adeseun also spoke against the manner in which projects were being abandoned or badly executed across the country. Insisting that the nation did not lack the laws to address these anomalies, he said the implementation of those laws was the problem.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5703828-147/nigerians_must_be_ready_to_pay.csp
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Sunofgod(m): 6:33pm On May 23, 2011
Who are these thieves trying to fool?
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by aljharem3: 6:35pm On May 23, 2011
fresh air !!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

beaf and others SE and SS people, goodluck to u all cheesy cheesy enjoy fresh air and PDP
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Moves: 7:03pm On May 23, 2011
alj_harem:

fresh air !!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

beaf and others SE and SS people, goodluck to u all cheesy cheesy enjoy fresh air and PDP
Did you read the article?? He is not PDP he is ACN?? goes to show that regardless of party affiliations; greedy is always paramount.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by agabaI23(m): 7:07pm On May 23, 2011
Anything bad is PDP.

I have said this many times, party is not the issue, corruption is an individual thing.

This is an ACN lawmaker yarning opata. Why have they refused to pass the FOI bill if they are working for the masses?
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by karlmax2: 8:47pm On May 23, 2011
Moves:
Quote from: alj_harem on Today at 06:35:08 PM

fresh air !!!!!

beaf and others SE and SS people, goodluck to u all enjoy fresh air and PDP

Did you read the article?? He is not PDP he is ACN?? goes to show that regardless of party affiliations; greedy is always paramount.

Don't blame him is one of those almajiris that can't read but can type on computer keyboard with arabic as letters it also shows how other ignorant, Illiterate GEJ haters are including the so called "BUHARI"
ACN is worst than PDP this fact would show itself soon
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Nobody: 9:15pm On May 23, 2011
maimalari:

By Jide Jegede
print email

The chairperson of the House of Representatives Committee on Appropriation, Ayo Adeseun, has said that Nigerians should be ready to bear the cost if they truly desire a working democracy.

Mr Adeseun, who defended the jumbo pay of the members of the national assembly, encouraged Nigerians to look at the fruit of democracy rather than the financial input.

“Democracy is not cheap. Democracy is very expensive. But the product of the expense is what the people should focus on,” he said. We have not been doing that. People malign us in the assembly, that[b] we are stealing the money.[/b] Well, I think we must have a whipping boy. Somebody must be at the receiving end. But if Nigerians want democracy they must be willing to pay for it.”

The lawmaker, who was elected on the platform of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) during the last election to represent Oyo Central in the senate, also hinted that the house would settle the[b] N10 billion[/b] loan crisis before it winds up its parliamentary sessions this week.

Last week, the lower chamber of the nation’s legislature almost sacked the speaker, Dimeji Bankole, over the allegation of taking a N10 billion loan in the name of the house, a development that has affected the allowances of members.

However, Mr Adeseun told journalists last weekend that the lapses arose from an error made in the 2010 budget of the national assembly, adding that the hope of accommodating the effect of the error in the 2011 appropriation bill was dashed by the alarm raised by Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) over the allegation that the legislature gulps the chunk of the nation’s overhead.

According to him, were it not for the refusal of President Goodluck Jonathan to sign the recently passed supplementary budget, the issue would not have blown open to the public.

‘Jumbo pay is necessary’

According to Mr Adeseun, the leadership of the house was making necessary efforts to see that the issues are resolved “in a matter of days” and to ensure that the house does not close on a rancourous note.

“It is most unfortunate that the event came about because it takes away from the very quality work that the house had done in the last four years and it is a disservice to the members and the institution itself. But that is life. We can’t always determine how events unfold. We are very much on top of the situation and we will soon resolve the matter,” Mr Adeseun said. “I am confident that in the next few days we would have resolved the crisis in the house. All efforts are underway to ensure that members are paid their entitlements and that the house closes on a very positive note.”

Speaking in defence of the humongous constituency allowances accruable to the federal lawmakers, Mr Adeseun said they were provided for to ensure that each of them effectively performed their oversight function.

He disclosed that there are many expenses the lawmakers incur while carrying out such oversight functions that could not be recorded for public record.

The lawmaker however agreed that many of his colleagues simply convert the allowances to personal use, while the jobs they are meant for are left undone.

Mr Adeseun also spoke against the manner in which projects were being abandoned or badly executed across the country. Insisting that the nation did not lack the laws to address these anomalies, he said the implementation of those laws was the problem.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5703828-147/nigerians_must_be_ready_to_pay.csp

I have always known that democracy is not meant for Nigeria.These guys are milking us dry and they are still trying to justify their stealing ? The country is doomed cuz I really pity the poor nigerians who are at the receiving end of all these madness.mschew
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by playmode(m): 9:17pm On May 23, 2011
Mr Adeseun ,how about i put a bullet in your rib cage ,will democracy work then ? or better still i put a tyre around your neck and set you alight ,will democracy work? Bunch of greedy monkeys  angry
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by alex101(m): 2:54am On May 24, 2011
maimalari:

By Jide Jegede
print email

“Democracy is not cheap. Democracy is very expensive. But the product of the expense is what the people should focus on, he said.

The lawmaker, who was elected on the platform of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) during the last election to represent Oyo Central in the senate, also hinted that the house would settle the N10 billion loan crisis before it winds up its parliamentary sessions this week.

God bless Mr Adeseun cool Infact, I am starting to like these ACN guys,,,they know how to "chop" money. I even wish they will rule this dungeon called nigeria. It is only them that can loot this hell of country to disintegration. Please, let 'democrazy' continue to flourish. The people of niger delta, una good morning o!
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Seun(m): 3:19am On May 24, 2011
Hilarious :-)
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by koruji(m): 3:51am On May 24, 2011
Don't be discouraged. We need to keep a tab on our employees - and these lawmakers are our employees, or they will steal us blind!!!

~Bluetooth:

I have always known that democracy is not meant for Nigeria.These guys are milking us dry and they are still trying to justify their stealing ? The country is doomed cuz I really pity the poor nigerians who are at the receiving end of all these madness.mschew
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by ektbear: 4:18am On May 24, 2011
Lmao. Even if he feels this way, he should be a bit smarter than to say so publicly. Bad move.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by OAM4J: 4:37am On May 24, 2011
nonsense
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Nobody: 4:45am On May 24, 2011
A nigerian politician is a nigerian politician, whether he is in ACN, PDP; APGA, ANPP, EFCC, FBI, CIA, PHD, Bleep. They are all self serving crooks.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Nobody: 4:46am On May 24, 2011
Thieves!
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Kilode1: 6:03am On May 24, 2011
Ayo Adeseun (ACN,  Oyo Central) is an example of those blood-sucking pests we have to remove from our leadership space.

Texas State Budget 2010----> $91 Billion

Texas Legislator Salary------->$600/month(N90,000)

Texas Population --------------> 24 Million
(Texas is roughly the size of Nigeria and waaaaay less populated, but definitely waaaaay richer. YET, see what they pay their legislators?)

Nigerian Budget 2010---------> N4.6 Trillion($31 Billion)  

Nigerian Legislator Salary----> $1,200,000 Million (N182m)

Nigerian Population -----------> 150 Million

Ayo Adeseun is trying to justify these? calling it the cost of a "working democracy" in a country that comparatively makes "peanuts" in revenue every year? with a population of 150million people?  shocked

For full effects:

US Legislator Salary----------->  $174,000 per year

No point stating US 2010 Budget? I will: ( $3.5 Trillion)

Population -----------------> 307 Million (barely double of our's)

I highlighted a state (Texas) with a buoyant oil economy to point out that our rot goes deep and beyond sickening. Yes, Granted, there is corruption everywhere in the world but in light of our people's poverty, our own corruption is unjustifiable and sickening.

I know my people love religion, but God can't fix what we are not ready to fix. My own proposal is that we pay legislators NO SALARY until the Nigerian economy gets to the top 10 in the world.

If you can't serve for free, go and start a business! (God knows we need those ) Let those who care about policy fix this country!

Links:

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/txp_media/html/leg/0205.html

http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/Texas_state_budget

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/40976/1/Senate-passes-N46tr-Budget-/Page1.html

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/senate_salaries.htm

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=art20101216521371
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Nobody: 6:25am On May 24, 2011
Kilode?!:

Ayo Adeseun (ACN,  Oyo Central) is an example of those blood-sucking pests we have to remove from our leadership space.

Texas State Budget 2010----> $91 Billion

Texas Legislator Salary------->$600/month(N90,000)

Texas Population --------------> 24 Million
(Texas is roughly the size of Nigeria and waaaaay less populated, but definitely waaaaay richer. YET, see what they pay their legislators?)

Nigerian Budget 2010---------> N4.6 Trillion($31 Billion)  

Nigerian Legislator Salary----> $1,200,000 Million (N182m)

Nigerian Population -----------> 150 Million

Ayo Adeseun is trying to justify these? calling it the cost of a "working democracy" in a country that comparatively makes "peanuts" in revenue every year? with a population of 150million people?  shocked

For full effects:

US Legislator Salary----------->  $174,000 per year

No point stating US 2010 Budget? I will: ( $3.5 Trillion)

Population -----------------> 307 Million (barely double of our's)

I highlighted a state (Texas) with a buoyant oil economy to point out that our rot goes deep and beyond sickening. Yes, Granted, there is corruption everywhere in the world but in light of our people's poverty, our own corruption is unjustifiable and sickening.

I know my people love religion, but God can't fix what we are not ready to fix. My own proposal is that we pay legislators NO SALARY until the Nigerian economy gets to the top 10 in the world.

If you can't serve for free, go and start a business! (God knows we need those ) Let those who care about policy fix this country!

Links:

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/txp_media/html/leg/0205.html

http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/Texas_state_budget

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/40976/1/Senate-passes-N46tr-Budget-/Page1.html

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/senate_salaries.htm

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=art20101216521371
So Nigeria, is a country which is roughly the size of Texas, Nigeria operates on a smaller budget but has more legislators (double) than Texas, and pays their legislators 1000 times more than what Texas pays their legislators.
I weep for naija.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by jmaine: 7:46am On May 24, 2011
J12:

A nigerian politician is a nigerian politician, whether he is in ACN, PDP; APGA, ANPP, EFCC, FBI, CIA, PHD, Bleep. They are all self serving crooks.

agabaI23:

Anything bad is PDP.

I have said this many times, party is not the issue, corruption is an individual thing.

This is an ACN lawmaker yarning opata. Why have they refused to pass the FOI bill if they are working for the masses?

Wonder why people fail to see these things
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Nobody: 8:19am On May 24, 2011
koruji:

Don't be discouraged. We need to keep a tab on our employees - and these lawmakers are our employees, or they will steal us blind!!!

How do we keep tab on the present crop of thievies that pilot he affairs of this country when most of them are virtually immuned to criminal prosecution ? I have lot faith in our present politicians;maybe the next set will be better and redeem my hope.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Godalone(m): 1:05pm On May 24, 2011
It is now clear that PDP is not the problem.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by chines4(m): 1:08pm On May 24, 2011
Well Oyo ppl please take note. Come 2015 this guy need not see Abuja.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by bisiaet: 1:15pm On May 24, 2011

Noted!!!!!!!
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Seun(m): 1:21pm On May 24, 2011
Funny. I think he kind of has a point, but it's hilarious that he couldn't express it better.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by yesboss20(m): 1:22pm On May 24, 2011
An interesting assertion by Mr Honourable.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Pharoh: 1:23pm On May 24, 2011
It is funny that we have not seen the ACN warriors on this thread to give their thoughts about this development. This thread should be bookmarked and always referenced anytime they try to bash pdp.  grin
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by dustydee: 1:29pm On May 24, 2011
sickening!
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by yesboss20(m): 1:36pm On May 24, 2011
T'is high time we enact da death penalty on these buffoons that are killing us daily. Can u imagine da guts on this man? My oh my, we are in need of a revolution.
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by Ojumiii(m): 1:38pm On May 24, 2011
That cost for the never walking democracy
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by thundaBOLT: 2:02pm On May 24, 2011
hmmmmmmm

I pity our there Nigeria. with this jumbo pay there will for ever be post election KILLING

Nobody Holy Pass
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by walab: 2:05pm On May 24, 2011
What can we do to stop these greedy politicians from destroying us?What is the next step?
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by omo9ja1(m): 2:06pm On May 24, 2011
why are we crying, theses said people bought their vote, they invested in the business as a business man/woman what would you expect?

I think revolution will be the answer
Re: Democracy Can Only Work If We Are Paid Jumbo Allowances - Rep Member by mithel(m): 2:07pm On May 24, 2011
First of all,am sure the guy decamped from PDP.  :-P

what ACN should now do is distance itself from the statement and also recall the guy from abuja.shikena

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cnt Stop Laughing..! Take a look at the Airport in Yola [SEE PHOTOS] / Bible: Punishment For Blasphemy. Death. / Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.