Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,198 members, 7,880,738 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:06 AM

VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application (25691 Views)

Court Quashes Debe's Suit, Awards Ojukwu's Will To Bianca / Nigeria Wins As UK Court Quashes $11 Billion P&ID Award / Supreme Court Quashes Peter Nwaoboshi's Conviction, Orders Immediate Release (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by bencarson007(m): 11:36am On Sep 07, 2021
Mikecold:
Do you know he never even get commisioners

Like there would be no attorney general of state and commisioner of finance to take this case up today because of his foolishness

I don tell you say na useless hegoat na... No be road to government house I pass yesterday wey river dey the front... Obaseki is a goat.... I no fear talk am
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by SarkinYarki: 11:39am On Sep 07, 2021
careytommy37:

Why do you find it difficult to believe that Lagos state consumes 70% of goods and services in Nigeria?
For example, do you know that Lagos alone consumes 75% of beef?
Why then can't these be extrapolated to majority of the basic consumed goods and services in the country?

I find it hard to believe that a state with 10 percent of the national population will consume 70 percent of goods and services ....the figure should be around 45 percent at most

2 Likes

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Peacefultosin: 11:45am On Sep 07, 2021
VAT is a multi stage tax paid at every point of value addition. Whatever you remit in VAT is just the difference between what you collected and what you paid. It is the final consumers who are the ultimate payers of VAT as the burden continues to be passed from one stage to another until it gets to the final consumers who can not pass the burden any further.

@SarkinYarki
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by VEHINTOLAR: 11:46am On Sep 07, 2021
In as much as I love this and see it as a welcome development,sadly,it is a temporary victory. This is because federal government ,through FIRS,will still challenge this ruling at the supreme court. Your guess is as good as mine regarding where the pendulum will swing at the apex court.

The truth of the matter is that most,if not all,northern states will not support this sensible tax collection law as currently being championed by Governor Wike of Rivers and the Lagos state government too. Already,some of the political mouthpieces of the north are kicking against it. They said they prefer the status quo to remain;that is, they want the federal government through FIRS to continue to collect taxes,especially VAT. The reason for their position is not far fetched; they are the major beneficiaries of the present corrupt tax laws.

Take Lagos state for instance,it generates about 55% of the total tax revenue collections in the country as declared by the FIRS. That means that Lagos state alone generates more than the combined tax revenues generated by the remaining thirty five (35) states. In that case, why should Lagos be having same revenue sharing rate as Sokoto,Kebbi, or Jigawa that contributes virtually nothing ? It is wrong;it is satanic !

One of the cardinal principles of tax collection is fairness. Some states prohibit sales and consumption of alcohol within their jurisdictions which is okay; it is their right to do so. What is not right however,is for these same states to partake in the sharing of revenue generated from the sales and consumption of the same alcohol they prohibited in their states ! That is hypocrisy of the highest order. It is only in Nigeria that injustice like this which clearly negates all the known principles of tax collection is tolerated.

Taxes are supposed to be collected on the goods and services produced/rendered and consumed within a locality and such revenue is expected to be used for the development of that locality. It is an abnormality for revenues generated in Lagos state to be used to service largely unproductive 44 local government areas in Kano state !

Southern Governors should fight this obvious injustice with everything they have within the armpit of the law.

8 Likes

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Nobody: 11:48am On Sep 07, 2021
Soulsymbol99:
Wike haff open their eyes grin FIRS, one of the most lucrative Jobs will soon turn 2 primary school teachers job grin
If your connection no strong, you can never be employed into the FIRS. Once most states start collecting VATs, e go affect them seriously
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by slydog(m): 11:50am On Sep 07, 2021
deleo16:
What FG should do now is to play the role of an umpire in these VAT issue they should only negotiate with each states to collect a certain percentage from every VAT generated with each state government while the remaining shoud be kept by the state other state will SIT UP and roll up their sleeves and work to generate more VAT in their state.
Kastina that says he doesnt have the willpower to collect tax then FG should continue collecting VAT in their state while state that can collect should collect theirs

Exactly, but I have a feeling that this FG might want to penalize states toeing this path and I'm thinking they might stop FG monthly allocation to the states.
Now if that happens, the militants will wake up and blow the the pipes
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 07, 2021
SarkinYarki:
This VAT thing is tricky and to get it right we must remove the Toga of emotions ....VAT is a consumption TAX!!!!! To say Lagos state generates 70 percent of VAT in Nigeria is saying Lagos State consumes 70% of Goods and services consumed in Nigeria ...Can this be true ? Is this the reality? .. As Business man I have charged VAT on products supplied to the north but ended up paying that VAT in Lagos but in reality the real person that paid that VAT was the last consumer in the north ...this thing is tricky ... Finding a fair way to allocate VAT will take alot of good brain power ..the former model wasn't fair and neither will this state model ... We must try to separate collection point from the final bearer of VAT ..the First person to pay VAT is usually not the one bears the tax eventually

VAT is not a consumption tax, it is value added tax. Learn to paragraph your writings, so your brain can learn how to paragraph thoughts too.

You have a shop at Lagos, and you in a way have added to the burden of infrastructures in Lagos and so therefore you need to generate a value tax to help Lagos handle the burden of your commute, residential mess etc. So, Lagos is the right person to take the tax for your troubles.

Who ever comes from the North to Lagos to buy, should also pay tax to Lagos for the burden. If how ever the goods are meant for the North to be sold there by another retailer, extra value added tax is again placed on the goods by the government of that state, that itself forms the basis of the price mark-up. That will make North to produce what should be consumed up North and the South to produce what is consumed down South.

VAT is supposed to cause evolution of development but certain parasites are not ready to produce anything but just wanna consume and consume and consume and add nothing to the system.

Una no dey shame?

15 Likes

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by GardenOfGod(m): 11:52am On Sep 07, 2021
grin grin
Blitzerz:
There is no need to start any consultation.

Start collecting your VAT.

MaxInDHouse edi owo ekpinõi
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by SarkinYarki: 11:52am On Sep 07, 2021
Peacefultosin:
VAT is a multi stage tax paid at every point of value addition. Whatever you remit in VAT is just the difference between what you collected and what you paid. It is the final consumers who are the ultimate payers of VAT as the burden continues to be passed from one stage to another until it gets to the final consumers who can not pass the burden any further.

@SarkinYarki

Exactly this is why is say that Lagos claiming it bears 70 percent of VAT is haphazard
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by eebiegbosco(m): 11:55am On Sep 07, 2021
this is the reason why we need a total review of the NIGERIA constitution for a more better implementation
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by gnykelly(m): 11:56am On Sep 07, 2021
Guyman02:
Now I can have my beer happily without worrying that some Clerics ruling states in the North where bottles are destroyed daily as if it has now become one of the Pillars of Islam (meanwhile advanced Muslim countries like UAE and Qatar permits alcohol consumption in certain places) are collecting and using my VAT to build Mosques instead of schools and pay ransom to bandits.

Buhari nepotism is becoming a blessing to states in the South, imagine the kind of money that will accrue to a state like Lagos monthly, very soon Lagos won't be bothering so much about Federal allocation from Abuja.
For Sanwo-Olu to be pursuing this matter with vigour shows that Tinubu has given his approval despite the visit of Buhari to him in London as it means more money as 50% of the nation's VAT is generated in Lagos.
The docile governor in Ogun state is not seeing the new cashcow by leveraging on the state's proximity to Lagos by joining Lagos in this fight.

Bar man, give everyone here one bottle of beer each because the VAT from it will remain here grin

See as the thing cold.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by SarkinYarki: 11:57am On Sep 07, 2021
TimeSpaceWizard:

VAT is not a consumption tax, it is value added tax. Learn to paragraph your writings, so your brain can learn how to paragraph thoughts too.

You have a shop at Lagos, and you in away have added to the burden of infrastructures in Lagos and so therefore you need to generate a value tax to help Lagos handle the burden of your commute, residential mess etc. So, Lagos is the right person to take the tax for your troubles.

Who ever comes from the North to Lagos to buy, should also pay tax to Lagos for the burden. If how ever the goods are meant for the North to be sold there by another retailer, extra value added tax is again placed on the goods by the government of that state, that itself forms the basis of the price mark-up. That will make North to produce what should be consummed up North and the South to produce what is consummed down South.

VAT is supposed to cause evolution of development but certain parasites are not ready to produce anything but just wanna consume and consume and consume and add nothing to the system.

Una no dey shame?

It's actually a consumption Tax because it's ultimately borne by the final consumer of a good or service..the final consumer bears the entire brunt and not the first stage collection point ... When I buy a generator in Lagos to sell in Nassarawa state , what Value did Lagos add to the generator ? Abeg lets stop all this shallow analysis and look at the process critically ... The last stage of VAT is what matter and that where the final consumption happens and the entire brunt of the tax is borne . So if a guy in Nassarawa bears the final brunt of a tax collected in Lagos you don't want his state to have a share in it ....we need good minds to critically look at it and find a better way to share this this thing
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Vitally123: 12:10pm On Sep 07, 2021
Please Add Speed, Momentum, the game is up!
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Caboceer: 12:16pm On Sep 07, 2021
The stupod British created this nonsense
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Tedpgrass: 12:23pm On Sep 07, 2021
Ummh

Great or not
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Peacefultosin: 12:26pm On Sep 07, 2021
SarkinYarki:

Exactly this is why is say that Lagos claiming it bears 70 percent of VAT is haphazard

It is not haphazard. Other states who want to increase their VAT collection should ensure enabling environment for businesses to thrive and empower SMEs for the purpose of value addition. Lagos will have more in VAT because there are businesses/companies largely located in Lagos.

States that consume without any value addition to what they consume will only have the VAT paid by them paid to states where values are been added. This is why I will always encourage individuals too not only to be consumers of goods and services but to try every means possible to be a supplier.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by IzRayl: 12:35pm On Sep 07, 2021
Lol grin grin e don choke... Even the supreme court can't do anything about it... The constitution states that states have the e right to collect vat and also any law that has been put into place by state house of assembly is 100% certified.... Lol even buhari no fit do anything... Wow thank God for my able Governor...

2 Likes

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by mikedanza(m): 12:38pm On Sep 07, 2021
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Nobody: 12:42pm On Sep 07, 2021
Starts that lick Buhari Ass in South or states that has imposed governors or governors recently looking for henchmanship from Buhari will not support this eg. Supreme court governor of IMO state, Ass licking Ebonyi governor, Confused Abia governor. Aside this, the rest will support it.

It's now obvious with the d level of inequality and cabalocracy Notgrrners play against South. I tell you, if this successfully goes, most states with tangible IGR will quickly implement theirs because it will avail them more resources to work with and embezzle too.
I see no reason why rich states will be begging FG for funds when they generate tangible percentage to FG.

With the way things play in Naija, I tell u the division of this nation will not be far.

Argue with your landlord, insult ur papa

2 Likes

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by fxsky: 12:42pm On Sep 07, 2021
So, the FG has been taking/riding States "Handicap" before, before?

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley Nigerian Wonderment!!!
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Praxis758: 12:43pm On Sep 07, 2021
bencarson007:

No need for this fight

They should give all they generate to the FG.... O sorry I forgot, they are leeches and parasites who produce nothing but feed off everybody who suffers to produce something

You're very correct.

Right on point
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by bigtt76(f): 12:44pm On Sep 07, 2021
The ruling empowers all state I wonder why some will not want to enforce it or they are not aligned with the need to make money for their states or what? undecided

GardenOfGod:

Source:
https://leadership.ng/vat-verdict-states-begin-consultation-as-court-quashes-firs-application/amp/
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 07, 2021
SarkinYarki:

It's actually a consumption Tax because it's ultimately borne by the final consumer of a good or service..the final consumer bears the entire brunt and not the first stage collection point ... When I buy a generator in Lagos to sell in Nassarawa state , what Value did Lagos add to the generator ? Abeg lets stop all this shallow analysis and look at the process critically ... The last stage of VAT is what matter and that where the final consumption happens and the entire brunt of the tax is borne . So if a guy in Nassarawa bears the final brunt of a tax collected in Lagos you don't want his state to have a share in it ....we need good minds to critically look at it and find a better way to share this this thing

Again, learn how to paragraph your writings, so your brain can paragraph your thought and process them intelligently.

Let me write as if for a primary school child who benefits from a quota system. If you are selling generator in Lagos, add the 7.5% VAT there, if the generator was 100K, add 7.5% there, so when Musa from Kano comes he will pay the 100K+7.5%, so you handover the 7.5% to Lagos.

Then Musa will arrive Kano and add another 7.5% and his own profit market, then Musa should hand over the 7.5% to Kano State.

So Lagos and Kano States can use their 7.5% to run the State infrastructures like Refuse DIsposal etc.

In essence, Musa gave you the 7.5% you paid to Lagos
And the buyer at Kano gave Musa the 7.5% he paid to Kano.

I hope you understand now. If you no like it like that, then go to court.

6 Likes

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Obialuproperty(f): 12:46pm On Sep 07, 2021
Fahdiga:
States should be allowed to collect taxes within their jurisdiction so as to aid their development and not FIRS collecting tax on behalf of terrorist Fulani led federal government which bandits will still collect as ransom or amnesty. Enough of this bullying of the south by the terrorist
and almajiri infested north

What bullying? All the allocations the southetn goverment has vollected, what development have they brought to their redoective states? You think the north is your problem.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Bbbwings: 12:50pm On Sep 07, 2021
careytommy37:

Why do you find it difficult to believe that Lagos state consumes 70% of goods and services in Nigeria?
Why then can't these be extrapolated to majority of the basic consumed goods and services in the country?
Don't mind that one.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by patrickmuf(m): 12:56pm On Sep 07, 2021
This is one of the best news yet...

Let each state government put on their thinking cap. The era of the FG collecting taxes and sharing it disproportionately across the states is gone.

Kudos to the Rivers state government and to the government of Lagos state for supporting this move.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by teepain: 1:00pm On Sep 07, 2021
SarkinYarki:
This VAT thing is tricky and to get it right we must remove the Toga of emotions ....VAT is a consumption TAX!!!!! To say Lagos state generates 70 percent of VAT in Nigeria is saying Lagos State consumes 70% of Goods and services consumed in Nigeria ...Can this be true ? Is this the reality? .. As Business man I have charged VAT on products supplied to the north but ended up paying that VAT in Lagos but in reality the real person that paid that VAT was the last consumer in the north ...this thing is tricky ... Finding a fair way to allocate VAT will take alot of good brain power ..the former model wasn't fair and neither will this state model ... We must try to separate collection point from the final bearer of VAT ..the First person to pay VAT is usually not the one bears the tax eventually

I understand your point of view but my take is that the Northern states should improve their productivity, charge VAT on the the products and services that emanate therefrom even if the final burden of tax payment is on consumers in South or anywhere else.

The point really is that the Governors of the Northern states can and should do more to contribute to the total productivity of their states. Why should some states work hard to attract investment and investors with the attendant increased productivity contributing to VAT and some people will wait at the end of the month only to share the VAT.

2 Likes

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by tnerro1(m): 1:11pm On Sep 07, 2021
Let the states that have the capacity to collect VAT do so, while the states that don’t have the capacity (northern states) can hire the FIRS to collect on their behalf .
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by nezer83: 1:22pm On Sep 07, 2021
NairaMaster1:

You're right.

The Summary.

1. VAT is now in the hands of state government.

2. Northern APC governors are still consulting.

3. Zamfara is in comatose

Zamfara get gold, make them activate VAT on gold they siphon to UAE and Saudi Arabia.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Maduawuchukwu(m): 1:24pm On Sep 07, 2021
careytommy37:

How can a state with 10% of Nigerias population consume 70% of goods and services?Something is definitely wrong with the calculation.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by hotseat: 1:24pm On Sep 07, 2021
O boy le!

States wan begin to collect deve!

Fulani Government of Northern Nigeria,
how market?

Una neva hala!
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Mrnairalandd: 2:17pm On Sep 07, 2021
SarkinYarki:

Rubbish!!! It’s obvious you r from the North cos your write up reeks of nothing but exploitation of the south.

Let me make what seems impossible in the North as simple as possible since you claimed that VAT issue is a tricky one. Nothing is tricky here! If a consumer buys anything in Lagos or Ogun state, a VAT ll be added to the price in Lagos state. Let’s assume a consumer is buying a can of coke/beer for #20.00 in Lagos and Lagos’s VAT is 20%, it means the consumer of this can coke ll pay #24.00 at the Till. The #4.00 goes to Lagos govt. it’s this simple!!!

What true Nigerians are saying is that it’s ridiculous and unfair for the North to take out of what they are destroying under guise of Sharia law in the North.

Very straightforward

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Julius Abure: Peter Obi Will Choose A Northern Muslim as Vice President / Photo: The New PDP National HQ... An Abandoned Project? / Dino Melaye Shows Off 26 Of His Expensive Vehicles Including A Mobile House(pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.