Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,952 members, 7,903,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 July 2024 at 11:26 PM

Solving Maths Saved Me From Insanity During 27 Months In Jail —soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Solving Maths Saved Me From Insanity During 27 Months In Jail —soyinka (539 Views)

Suspended Police Chief, Abba Kyari Released After 27 Months In Detention / Abba Kyari Gets Bail After 27 Months In Detention / External Reserves Slides To 27 Months Low (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solving Maths Saved Me From Insanity During 27 Months In Jail —soyinka by Parizz: 7:31am On Sep 17, 2021
The Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, has disclosed how solving Mathematics saved him from insanity during his 27 months incarceration by the Federal Government during the military regime of General Yakubu Gowon.

Soyinka said though he disliked Maths as a subject while in secondary school, the subject actually became his saving grace while he was undergoing over a year incarceration by the military junta.

The literary icon disclosed this on Thursday when he played host to the academic laureates who did Ogun State proud in various academic competitions, at his Kemta, Idi Aba residence in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital.

Soyinka, while addressing the laureates, advised them not to prioritise any subject above others.

Soyinka said that the efforts of the present administration in Ogun on education was evident in the emergence of the academic laureates who have shown great excellence and exploits.

He further encouraged the laureates to always have an ho­listic sense of integration and interaction of subjects, which, he said, would help them to excel in all spheres of life.

Speaking at the event, Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State, while highlighting some of the achievements of his ad­ministration in the education sector, promised to continue to sustain and uphold the legacy of the founding fathers who strived to make Ogun a citadel of education.

The governor represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Tokunbo Talabi, enjoined the awardees to thrive in giving their best and promised that the state would continue to create an enabling environment for learners to excel.

“We are indeed proud of all our academic laureates who have distinguished themselves in different competitions.

And as a state, we promise to continue to put in the required provisions that will continue to aid teaching and learning activities that will produce more academic giants,” the governor said.

In his address, the Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Prof. Abayomi Arigbabu, enjoined the students to draw inspiration from the Nobel Laureate by not relenting in achieving greatness in all they do.

It would be recalled that Governor Abiodun had in April showered the academic laureates and teachers with cash prizes, houses and laptops at a ceremony held at the Obas’ Complex, Oke Mosan, Abeokuta.

https://independent.ng/solving-maths-saved-me-from-insanity-during-27-months-in-jail-soyinka/
Re: Solving Maths Saved Me From Insanity During 27 Months In Jail —soyinka by AlexBells(m): 7:35am On Sep 17, 2021
Numbers are are immeasurable measures, the beauty of mathematics, Nigeria is an enigmat country which had produced all sorts of quality human resources, solved all sort of international challenges, yet could not solve the puzzle of this deliberate disorganised country by a few colonialists.
Re: Solving Maths Saved Me From Insanity During 27 Months In Jail —soyinka by suffering: 7:52am On Sep 17, 2021
Mathematics is good for stimulating the brain. It’s unfortunate that Nigerian teachers resorted to teaching concepts which their minds could not comprehend thus creating half-baked students who learned to loathe the subject.
Re: Solving Maths Saved Me From Insanity During 27 Months In Jail —soyinka by OssyMalik: 8:16am On Sep 17, 2021
Mathematics has always been my best subject.
I love mathematics scatter!!

Re: Solving Maths Saved Me From Insanity During 27 Months In Jail —soyinka by APCNig: 8:18am On Sep 17, 2021
Even a Professor of English is a Mathematics lover and solver.

So, you lazy youths running from simple Arithmetic, shame to you.
Re: Solving Maths Saved Me From Insanity During 27 Months In Jail —soyinka by triple996(m): 8:54am On Sep 17, 2021
Abeg comot go one side abeg.
Ffk done go back apc
Na that one we still de solve grin
The wailling was fun
Re: Solving Maths Saved Me From Insanity During 27 Months In Jail —soyinka by IJOBA11: 10:37am On Sep 17, 2021
APCNig:
Even a Professor of English is a Mathematics lover and solver.

So, you lazy youths running from simple Arithmetic, shame to you.
ONE RETIRED PROFESSOR FROM UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS HAD HIS PHD IN PHILOSOPHY LAW AND MATHEMATICS, SO THAT ONE SELF DEY

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Nation Storm UN Office, Canada - Demand Internationally Backed Referendum / Bashir Ahmad Sa To President Buhari Badly Hit By Followers On Mambilla Project-p / Revealed: Ex-gov. Yari Convincing Tinubu To Dumb Buhari For A Fresh Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.