Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,935 members, 7,873,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:37 AM

Best Moments Of Former Chelsea And Tottenham Star, Jimmy Greaves Who Died At 81 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Best Moments Of Former Chelsea And Tottenham Star, Jimmy Greaves Who Died At 81 (154 Views)

Godwin Izilein Dies At 81 / Best Moments Of Former Chelsea And Tottenham Star, Jimmy Greaves Who Died At 81 / Odion Ighalo Turned Down Inter Milan And Tottenham For Man United (Screen shot) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Best Moments Of Former Chelsea And Tottenham Star, Jimmy Greaves Who Died At 81 by hartoyebi38: 3:59pm On Sep 19, 2021
Greaves who played for top clubs like Chelsea, Tottenham, and AC Milan passed away at the age of 81.

A Tottenham statement read: “We are extremely saddened to learn of the passing of the great Jimmy Greaves, not just Tottenham Hotspur’s record goalscorer but the finest marksman this country has ever seen.

“Jimmy passed away at home in the early hours of this morning, aged 81.”

The English man has been said to be one of the greatest all-time footballers. Therefore, let takes a look at his best moments as a football player.

124 First Division Goals In Four Seasons

Jimmy in 1957 started his professional football career at Chelsea. He spent four unforgettable seasons with the London club as he scored 124 goals before he joined AC Milan.

124 goals for a young inexperienced player in four seasons is undoubtedly a great achievement. It means that at least he scored over 30 goals in each of his seasons with Chelsea.

In April 1961, Greaves joined the Italian club A.C. Milan for £80,000 transfer fee.

Most Goals In A Season For Tottenham Hotspur

Greaves didn’t spend much time in Italy. He returned to England in December 1961 for £100,000 transfer fee to become the most expensive player in British football.

He scored 37 goals in the 1962-63 season to break the record of most goals in a season for the Spurs. He later scored 266 goals in 379 matches before he left Tottenham in March 1970.

After his death, Tottenham said he possessed, “immaculate ball control, great balance and such composure in front of goal that he rarely spurned an opportunity”.

Greaves Received the 1966 World Cup Medal In 2009

The deceased had an incredible career playing for the English National Team as he scored 43 career goals for the Three Lions. But missing out on the final stages of the 1966 World Cup which eventually denied him the opportunity to wear the winning medal with his colleagues hurt so much.

“I danced around the pitch with everyone else but even in this moment of triumph and great happiness, deep down I felt my sadness. Throughout my years as a professional footballer, I had dreamed of playing in a World Cup Final. I had missed out on the match of a lifetime and it hurt,” Greaves was disappointed to have missed the 1966 World Cup final.

Only the 11 players on the pitch at the end of the 4–2 win over West Germany received medals. Greaves who played all the three group games against Uruguay, Mexico, and France but did not play at the final later received his medal in 2009 after FIFA was persuaded to award medals to all the winners’ squad members.

SOURCE : Olutysport

Re: Best Moments Of Former Chelsea And Tottenham Star, Jimmy Greaves Who Died At 81 by yusluvad(m): 7:50pm On Sep 19, 2021
Wow. He's indeed a legend. May he find favour in his new journey. REST IN PEACE JIMMY GREAVES...

(1) (Reply)

Exclusive: 2022 WCQ: Rohr’s Invitation Of Players Was Based On Merit -aikhomogbe / Ikpeba: Super Eagles Aren't Africa's Finest Team / EPL: Chelsea Double Injury Boost Ahead Of Their Clash Against Brentford.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.