Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,902 members, 7,933,328 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 02:07 AM

London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers (22224 Views)

Zenith Bank Adopts New Financial Reporting Style For Half-year / Banks Use Female Marketers To Woo Senators, Reps-elect (Punch) / I Want To Setup A Computer & Phone Retailer Shop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by ezeagu(m): 11:40pm On May 27, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Why the sudden hype about the HAUSAS?

I thought they a illiterate dirty  stinking almajiris.
A popular hausa proverb.

"kuna muna kallon biri muna muku kallon ayaba".

which can be translated as. . .
"una dey  see us as monkies while we see una as bananas"

No need to get excited, we're talking about 0.00000001% of the Hausa population, who also see other Hausa as Bananas.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 12:39am On May 28, 2011
This is NOT true, at all. Not in London. What do you actually take Yorubas for as far as the UK is concerned?

Hausa will NEVER NEVER match Yoruba shoppers in the UK.; even if they rule for 200 years!

Now, let me explain the reason you have more Hausas in Edgware Road:
This is an Arab enclave in London; where you find Muslims and women in Burka. As a result, Hausas too prefer to mingle there.

Go to Oxford street, Convent Garden, that's where you will likely meet rich Yoruba dudes.

How many are these Hausas? Debenham probably googled Nigeria's major language and, maybe Hausa came up.

I don't think that all the these Hausas buy more suits that Yoruba surgeons alone in the UK. Get your facts right, guys.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by tpia5: 12:53am On May 28, 2011
@ topic

good for whoever is shopping there.

Never heard of the place since i aint a moneybag.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 1:03am On May 28, 2011
And, is Debenham really expensive?  It is just a collection of labels.

A T-Shirt at Debenham goes for around 25 - 50 pounds max. Not really posh, is it?

In fact, you won't see a lot of rich Yoruba/Igbo dudes there.

I don't have millions of pounds, thousands sef I never get, BUT, I have picked up one or two T-Shirts there before. And, I always buy my perf from Debenham.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 1:07am On May 28, 2011
Hehe, Debenhams? Na im be sey you never see shopping by some Nigeria-based dudes before.

I mean 10, 000 pounds - fiam, just like that at Selfridges. Abeg, money dey Naija.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Kilode1: 1:26am On May 28, 2011
ola olabiy:

And, is Debenham really expensive? 
I have picked up one or two T-Shirts there before. And, I always buy my perf from Debenham.

Hehe, Debenhams? Na im be sey you never see shopping before.

I mean 10, 000 pounds - fiam, just like that at Selfridges. Abeg, money dey Naija.

See confession shocked tongue

Bros, so you be government contractor  cheesy

Chopping our money Yanfu Yanfu , chop remain for us o grin

Well done o
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 1:29am On May 28, 2011
Kilode?!:

See confession shocked

Well done o

Hahahaa  grin grin
I wish.

Me ke. Na those Naija-based people oo. Dem too get moneeey.

Na so dey go carry plenti bags.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 1:40am On May 28, 2011
Kilode?!:

See confession shocked tongue

Well done o
But, you try well ooo. smiley

Se how you cleverly joined my post together sef. GEJ needs your skills oo cheesy
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by ektbear: 1:57am On May 28, 2011
Hrm. In light of these posts. . . Northern leaders truly are shameless, evil, and selfish b@stards.

We'll see an article like this today, then read another one tomorrow about millions of almajiris in Kano, despite its substantial federal allocations undecided

Imagine, living like an oil sheikh while your people suffer.

Sad stuff
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Kilode1: 1:59am On May 28, 2011
@Olabiy as long as GEJ can dash me oyel block, me sef wan shop for Dedenhams.

Better still, I can help GEJ increase revenue, by suing Selfridges, Saks 5th Avenue, Neiman Marcus, Harrods and other luxury goods stores for encouraging corruption and wasteful spending.  J/k cool

The same way we jail folks selling cocaine and heroine to incurable addicts. I think those companies can be liable too, for encouraging corruption and causing the death of millions.

GEJ needs to start talking to some greedy smart lawyers.

Mostly kidding   wink
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by agabaI23(m): 3:33am On May 28, 2011
Guys the article was referring to shoppers from outside Britain not those living in Britain.
@ola olabiy, Debenhams have a collection of expensive labels. Debenhams own products may be cheap but those other labels are as expensive as anywhere else.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by denzel2009: 3:46am On May 28, 2011
agabaI23:

Guys the article was referring to shoppers from outside Britain not those living in Britain.
@ola olabiy, Debenhams have a collection of expensive labels. Debenhams own products may be cheap but those other labels are as expensive as anywhere else.

Do they produce their plane ticket before buying stuff there?
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by agabaI23(m): 4:02am On May 28, 2011
denzel2009:

Do they produce their plane ticket before buying stuff there?
They ask for vat receipt or vat reclaim forms.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by denzel2009: 4:26am On May 28, 2011
agabaI23:

Lol, Mallams don't do that. It's the ijebus and Ibo boys that go through that stress.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 9:43am On May 28, 2011
agabaI23:

VAT receipts? And, they are rich?

I read it when they were about to launch this campaign. All Debenhams wanted was major languages from China, Korea, Japan and Nigeria. Etc.

It has nothing to do with Hausa shoppers. Their campaign is about NIGERIAN shoppers.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 9:46am On May 28, 2011
Kilode?!:

@Olabiy as long as GEJ can dash me oyel block, me sef wan shop for Dedenhams.

Na im oo. smiley

The only thing I need now na my own oyel block.

I hope GEJ dey read this. Hola!
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 9:51am On May 28, 2011
agabaI23:

Like how much are you talking about here?

Let me give you an example:

The perfs I mentioned are not theirs.
However, the difference between what they charge and what high-street stores like Superdrug, Perfumery and The Perfume Shop charge is plus or minus 1 pound max. These perfs are sometimes cheaper at Debenhams sef.

Go and check this.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 10:01am On May 28, 2011
The same Debenhams where a friend bought a 'heater' for 13 pounds? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 10:04am On May 28, 2011
This is Debenhams.

Some T-Shirts go for as low as 6 pounds sef shocked:

http://www.debenhams.com/men/t-shirts-polos/t-shirts
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 10:09am On May 28, 2011
Shoes at Debenhams:

Casuals: http://www.debenhams.com/shoes/men/casual-shoes

Formal shoes: http://www.debenhams.com/shoes/men/formal-shoes

Trainers: http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigate?ps=default&storeId=10001&sfn=Categories&lid=%2F%2Fproductsuniverse%2Fen_GB%2Fproduct_online%3DY%2Fcategories%3C{productsuniverse_164101}%2Fcategories%3C{productsuniverse_164101_164165}%2Fcategories%3C{productsuniverse_164101_164165_164187_ms%2Cproductsuniverse_164101_164165_164188_ms}&catalogId=10001&sfv=Mens+sports+trainers

Na here you wan go find Naija billionaires, abi? I dey laugh oooo
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by kbdrim(m): 1:08pm On May 28, 2011
southerners and their stupid ignorance and pride, with ur so called education and sense of accomplishment, the smelly hausa's have ruled u for over 35yrs and it took an uneducated yoruba man in obj to deliver u frm their rule, y nt ur educated profs n surgeons, technocrats, mtcheew, u guys r pathetic ignorants, over 80% of southerners dnot even know beyond the ehnic groups, i rather b a student of life rather than study all the books and end up writing petitions against my brothers, the average hausa dude have far more class than an average rich southerner, all they have is noise, so much talk and no substance
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by MeGaStReEt: 1:15pm On May 28, 2011
illiterates wasting our money
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by franklampard082(m): 1:16pm On May 28, 2011
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list][tt][/tt][email][/email][url][/url][flash=200,200][/flash][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][i][/i][b][/b][tr][/tr] How d bleep did this make front page?[img][/img]
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Johnpaul2k2(m): 1:18pm On May 28, 2011
HAUSA CAN BE WHATEVER THEY WANT TO BE THERE,
BUT NEED TO ADVICE THEM THAT WHERE THEY ARE NOW IS LONDON BUT NIGERIA,
SO NO KILLING OF CHRISTIANS OR CORPERS THERE OOOOOO
NO BOKO HARAM OR OSAMA BIN LADEN ATTITUDES
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by hotbella1: 1:21pm On May 28, 2011
u guys are really funny oh and so so tribalistic. wats bad abt a hausa advert at debenhams?
am hausa and was der for some shoppin 2 weeks back so get off our backs pls and use all that energy abi hate to transform naija.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 2:22pm On May 28, 2011
Shoes at Debenhams: http://www.debenhams.com/shoes/men/formal-shoes

Na this kain thing you wan show off?

Abeg, guys, no fall moi hands ooo
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Kusfa(m): 2:26pm On May 28, 2011
Infact; not until we begin to see 9jerians as one, ENVY & HATRED will continue to disintegrate us in this country.
what is so special in adopting Hausa Language by a London retailer? Maybe (to him) majority of his "money splasher's" are the Hausa's.
But; just imagine the castigations and condemnations, nonsense!!! Now an average foreigner reading this thread will begin to suspect
the stupendious attitute of Nigerians.
There we are fighting eachother on religion and tribal grounds; accusing the whites of RACISM; who be fool? Na una; ofcurz!!! grin
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by ezeagu(m): 2:28pm On May 28, 2011
Abeg, is not about the price of items, it's about that fact that they decided to put Hausa language among only three other foreign languages in their stores. This means that the volume of spending by the Hausa is large, large enough for them to place them by the richest tourists. So what if a 20 pounds shirt is nothing to you? If a shop gets a hundred Hausa people buying 20 of those shirts each visit, then they are going to notice them and that is buying power.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by AndreUweh(m): 2:31pm On May 28, 2011
Lazy calculation by the superstore. Hausa men in the U.K are very scanty, less than 5,000. Even the ones that come from Nigeria do not go about on suits. In a country where the Yorubas are about 60,000 and Ndigbo 50,000, it is abnormal not to include Yoruba and Igbo inscription that Hausa. Wrong move.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by BIGERBOY1: 2:33pm On May 28, 2011
its sad shouldnt we be glad that we have one our languages up there, would u guys rather have the ghanian or zulu language upthere jus because its HAUSA.

I remember this display of ignorance when the 'ARABIC' latters were expunged from the naira that was too bad cos of the following

1. the english french spanish etc. languages might use a seemingly similar characters but each writing has its unique letters (u will agree)

2. The japanese chinese koreans also write seemingly similar, but trust me each of these writings are worlds apart in style and characters

3. Arabic Persian Hausa also share the same similitude but there are letters in the Hausa language not found in both arabic and persian

Bottom line we should be proud that even b4 the europeans our fellow African and consequently Hausa's have adapted and develpd a writing style comparable with any major languages then, yet maintaining writing styles and character unique only to the Hausa languge.

shouldnt this acheivement be celebrated rather than the usual colonial line of 'the africans had notting b4 the europeans'. How many of u know that there was a University in Africa b4 the europeans- in TIMBUKTU, MALI, and also the largest mud stucture ever biult.

common guys will we ever develop with this ethnic bigotry and hatred. THINK.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 2:34pm On May 28, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Lazy calculation by the superstore. Hausa men in the U.K are very scanty, less than 5,000. Even the ones that come from Nigeria do not go about on suits. In a country where the Yorubas are about 60,000 and Ndigbo 50,000, it is abnormal not to include Yoruba and Igbo inscription that Hausa. Wrong move.

Thank you jare. Very lazy calculation, IMO.

They would have benefited more if it were Yoruba or Igbo. How many are these Hausas.

They thought Hausa was the widely-spoken lang in Naija. That is it.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by ezeagu(m): 2:34pm On May 28, 2011
Andre Uweh:

There are more than a million Nigerians in the UK.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

My Brother's Shop Was Robbed In Port-Harcourt / Dangote Shifts Focus From Cement To Oil And Gas / CBN Claims They've Been Begging Banks To Take New Naira Notes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.