Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,125 members, 7,977,247 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 11:46 PM

Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos (8618 Views)

Zenith Bank Charged Me This For A 5Dollar Transaction *pix Attached**** / CBN To Publish Names Of Bank Debtors / CBN To Punish Landlords & Schools That Ask For Dollars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:01pm On May 27, 2011
This is already in place -- it is not like the people were consulted before this. Like so many other policies, we just have to deal with it, it seems. I feel there are other reasons for this though but since this is Nigeria, you probably will not hear much of what the opposition has to say on this.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by femmy2010(m): 5:07pm On May 27, 2011
May God help Nigeria and Nigerians sha.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by kcng: 5:11pm On May 27, 2011
IT IS CLEAR TO ALL OF US WHO KNOW WHAT A CASHLESS- SOCIETY ENTAILS. SANUSI IS GOD SENT.THE OPPORTUNITIES THAT WILL BE CREATED BECAUSE OF THIS NEW POLICY WILL BLOW YOUR MIND.WEALTH WILL BE REDISTRIBUTED AND NEW MARKETS WILL OPEN.SME'S WILL GROW AND MAKE MORE MONEY,CAUSE IT WILL BE EASIER TO ASSES AND GIVE CREDIT,SO PEOPLE WILL BUY AND SELL MORE.
THIS IS THE TIME FOR YOUNG BUSINESS OWNERS TO REPOSITION THEM-SELFS SO AS TO REAP THE FULL BENEFIT OF THE NEW POLICY.GO TALK TO YOUR BANK TODAY AND FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN TURN IT TO YOUR OWN ADVANTAGE.
NEW BILLIONAIRE WILL BE CREATED.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:15pm On May 27, 2011
^^^ There has never really been a Cashless society to date, so NO, it is not clear to all of us, as you claim, what a cashless society entails.  grin

How do you have a cashless system where more than 60% do not have bank accounts or even use banks on a regular basis?
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by femmy2010(m): 5:16pm On May 27, 2011
kcng:

IT IS CLEAR TO ALL OF US WHO KNOW WHAT  A CASHLESS- SOCIETY  ENTAILS. SANUSI IS GOD SENT.THE OPPORTUNITIES THAT WILL BE CREATED BECAUSE OF THIS NEW POLICY WILL BLOW YOUR MIND.WEALTH WILL BE REDISTRIBUTED  AND NEW MARKETS WILL OPEN.SME'S WILL GROW AND MAKE MORE MONEY,CAUSE IT WILL BE EASIER TO ASSES AND GIVE CREDIT,SO PEOPLE WILL BUY AND SELL MORE.
THIS IS   THE TIME FOR YOUNG BUSINESS OWNERS TO REPOSITION THEM-SELFS SO AS TO REAP THE FULL BENEFIT OF THE NEW POLICY.GO TALK TO YOUR BANK TODAY AND FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN TURN IT TO YOUR OWN ADVANTAGE.
NEW BILLIONAIRE WILL BE  CREATED.

We sidon dey look.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by dayochris(m): 5:19pm On May 27, 2011
I think am suportin herculor07 we need to adopt to changes. it is nw necesary for us to go cashless in dis coutry if only u ve been rob b4 u will knw wat am saying
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by Claracuzio: 5:21pm On May 27, 2011
Mr kcng I gbadun your yarns o! That kin cashless society armed robbers go dey carry POS waka na! Abi wetin u feel? ? I Lafº°˚smileysmiley˚°º≈pourº°˚ ˚smileysmiley °º≈alomo forº°˚ ˚ºmy expensive byc singlet°˚ ˚°º≈smileysmiley
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by Olaisrich(m): 5:22pm On May 27, 2011
my concerns go to the illiterate,which will also affect the elite
imaging you want to pay your mechanics,mason,capenters and all the likes who
were predominantly illiterate, how will you go about it? or do they going
to have  literate middlemen that will handle their transaction for them?
what about the security aspect when even banks nowadays are seriously warning
their online customers not to disclose their logging details? we  have a looooong
way to go,let test runs it see!
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by scopusng(m): 5:22pm On May 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ There has never really been a Cashless society to date, so NO, it is not clear to all of us, as you claim, what a cashless society entails.  grin
Kobojunkie:

^^^ There has never really been a Cashless society to date, so NO, it is not clear to all of us, as you claim, what a cashless society entails.  grin
femmy2010:

We sidon dey look.

I voted for GEJ not PDP. Why are we complaining? I dey laugh. Me sef, I sidom dey look.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by iwantto(m): 5:32pm On May 27, 2011
From all I have read on this thread, the main challenges we are crying about is the shops sellers. All shops can go corporate by registering a business name for their shops to help raise their daily cash deposit limit.

The benefit of a cashless economy is numerous. It will quickly improve our IT infrastructural base and demand. The singular reason why IT infrastructure is still very poor in Nigeria is because of the low demand.

With corporate demand on tech infrastructure, the sector will quickly expand and more investors will come in. Also more jobs will be created from an expanding IT market.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:38pm On May 27, 2011
i_want_to:

From all I have read on this thread, the main challenges we are crying about is the shops sellers. All shops can go corporate by registering a business name for their shops to help raise their daily cash deposit limit.

Do you even realize how much it costs to do just that?

And for heaven's sake, why is the CBN concerned with PoS terminals? Is the CBN now in the business of PoS terminals, and Hotels too?
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 27, 2011
In as much as what Sanusi is trying to do sounds good I don't think that Nigeria has the IT capability to do it yet. When they at the top start "dishing" out there policies they rarely try to see how it affects the common man out there. Let's take the guys at Idumota and Alaba for instance, most of them made sales worth more than 150k a day unfortunately their customers do not come to shop and pick things worth 150k at a time rather these are aggregate sales. So for each 150k they make they should be prepared to dish out some charges to the bank. That I guess will also add to their cost of doing business in spite that every business in Nigeria generates its own power, in the long run the cost has to be passed to someone else I guess the buyer. On the other hand going by what is operational in the advanced world that Sanusi is trying to emulate at every shop they have pay machines even if you buy stuff worth 1 euro you can pay with your bank card. In Nigeria judging by the way the things are I don't think we are ready to deploy that the present banking structure that I know of can not handle it as of now. Personally until the financial sector (economy as a whole) has improved considerable only then wil such policies be in the interest of the masses. As of now I think there are serious issues in the economy that requires Sanusi's attention.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by ashdre: 6:15pm On May 27, 2011
Rubbish!!! Is it what we need to improve our economy? Oyinbo CC
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by DisGuy: 7:09pm On May 27, 2011
P.S

printing the cash cost c.37Billion, Managing the Cash cost N200b
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 7:14pm On May 27, 2011
Dis Guy:

P.S

printing the cash cost c.37Billion, Managing the Cash cost N200b

Acorrding to the CBN, the problem is more the cost of printing

He said, “There is no way we can run an efficient economy if we don’t develop e-Payment transactions. We spend billions of naira every year on cash printing. In fact, we spent over N34bn printing cash last year. We can’t continue to incur such costs.

“Banks also spend too much time processing cash. This makes them to focus more on minor functions at the expense of major ones. Banking is not about processing cash. Let them do proper intermediation by ensuring that the bulk of their transactions are more efficient and cost-effective.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201105060345760

Also, cost of the POS, and maintaining them, is probably going to run the country more than 200Bn a year to maintain cash and electronic funds given that only about 30% of Nigerians have bank accounts, meaning cash will have to remain in circulation for a long time as a result.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by DisGuy: 7:27pm On May 27, 2011
Yes to the CBN the problem is mainly cost of printing; to the banking industry as a whole the cost of cash management is huge; transit, insurance, processing time-lines, inefficiency, huge buildings to accommodate huge vaults

The cost of implementing POS and maintaining will be spread between the banks the shops the licensee, and customers perhaps- cash will still be available. I don't think cashless in this context means absolute no paper- just less Ghana must goes

if they dont test run it tehy wont know where the fault is or where to make corrections to make it more efficient

Where are the bankers and real economists on this forum anyway
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On May 27, 2011
Dis Guy:

Yes to the CBN the problem is mainly cost of printing; to the banking industry as a whole the cost of cash management is huge; transit, insurance, processing time-lines, inefficiency, huge buildings to accommodate huge vaults

The cost of implementing POS and maintaining will be spread between the banks the shops the licensee, and customers perhaps- cash will still be available. I don't think cashless in this context means absolute no paper- just less Ghana must goes

But cost of printing, which CBN claims to be the major problem is not huge when compared to cost of printing in other economies, even Brazil. Last I checked, Banks are private entities and so I don't think it is the CBN's issue to worry how much each bank chooses to spend in addition when it comes to handling of cash on their end.

Cost of implementing Pos terminals, if handled by the CBN as seems the case here, is likely to cost us even more, than we currently do just on cash, since the same CBN will still busy itself with printing of Cash, in addition to handling and maintaining PoS terminals. I don't how that is tremendous savings considering this Governmental agency is once again, trying to take on a role that should be left to private entities.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by lucabrasi(m): 7:52pm On May 27, 2011
Olaisrich:

my concerns go to the illiterate,which will also affect the elite
imaging you want to pay your mechanics,mason,capenters and all the likes who
were predominantly illiterate, how will you go about it? or do they going
to have literate middlemen that will handle their transaction for them?
what about the security aspect when even banks nowadays are seriously warning
their online customers not to disclose their logging details? we have a looooong
way to go,let test runs it see!
they will cope,and they will get used to it.remember the times before gsm?all those demographics didnt know the first thing about using a mobile phone but these days the market men/women,the carpenters all have one if your car breaks down you ring a mechanic and he ll come fix yor car wherever you are
remember less than 10 years ago,a lot didnt even know how to open their emails,internet cafe operators collected 200naira or more to help register for a yahoo email these days virtually everyone has a basic knowledge.
the advantages far outweight the reservations you have stated
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by DisGuy: 8:01pm On May 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

But cost of printing, which CBN claims to be the major problem is not huge when compared to cost of printing in other economies, even Brazil. Last I checked, Banks are private entities and so I don't think it is the CBN's issue to worry how much each bank chooses to spend there.

Cost of implementing Pos terminals, if handled by the CBN as seems the case here, is likely to cost us even more since the same CBN will still busy itself with printing of Cash, in addition to handling and maintaining PoS terminals. I don't how that is tremendous savings considering this Governmental agency is once again, trying to take on a role that should be left to private entities.

Cost of printing when compared to other countries can be huge or insignificant depending but if there's a chance to make a saving and perhaps direct that money to somewhere else then good. unfortunately i dont know much different countries print their cash but it will be interesting to include their GDP and other economic indices to see the price holistically

The CBN will have to regulate the banks hence will have to monitor their operational cost to set interest rate, charges, fines and other policies- at the end of the day the banks will lend to businesses and you dont want them charging exhorbitant amount they can easily blame on costs incurred

the same way the govt has to provide enabling environment to make businesses operate and survive- we can say the the business should provide electricity/water/road for themselves they govt should just provide security and laws

the banks already have electronic banking, companies already bought license for POS etc etc the long term benefits outweighs the initial cost- the CBN is only issuing licenses and regulating their operation, those with licenses are current sitting idle waiting for the catalyst-
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by jmaine: 8:02pm On May 27, 2011
scopusng:

I voted for GEJ not PDP. Why are we complaining? I dey laugh. Me sef, I sidom dey look.

What is the point and usefulness of this on this thread undecided
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by femmy2010(m): 8:07pm On May 27, 2011
lucabrasi:

they will cope,and they will get used to it.remember the times before gsm?all those demographics didnt know the first thing about using a mobile phone but these days the market men/women,the carpenters all have one if your car breaks down you ring a mechanic and he ll come fix yor car wherever you are
remember less than 10 years ago,a lot didnt even know how to open their emails,internet cafe operators collected 200naira or more to help register for a yahoo email these days virtually everyone has a basic knowledge.

There exist precedent for the GSM entrance and we all know we were long overdue for its entrance into Nigeria but for this cashless thing i fear fear oo.

My advice is that people must have the choice to go cashless or do it the old fashion acceptable way.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by femmy2010(m): 8:12pm On May 27, 2011
Olaisrich:

then you will open a cooporate account that will allow you to withdraw up to a million Naira aday, shikena!

Corporate Account?
No be money dem go use open am and not a day thing as the whole process might drag on for months.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by lucabrasi(m): 8:22pm On May 27, 2011
femmy2010:

There exist precedent for the GSM entrance and we all know we were long overdue for its entrance into Nigeria but for this cashless thing i fear fear oo.

My advice is that people must have the choice to go cashless or do it the old fashion acceptable way.

we also have the precedence of a relatively cash free economy not only in many western societies,but in some parts of africa moreover the gsm technology was not as advanced in uk for a fact in the early 90s same as the internet almost the same time it was catching roots in nigeria.

like i stated before, the advantage of lamido's cashless reform at this time is that we only need to understudy  already established societies like the uk,usa,europe,south africa and we cant go wrong.
nigerians complained at the advent of credit cards and other innovations but now getting used to it
dont nit pick the disadvantages,but think of the advantages and how much safer it will make the society
many armed robbers ill not even bother breaking into houses again,what armed robber wants to risk capture for 300,000?
there are armed robbers in western world as well,but they don bother with home invasion because there is no cash,unless they want to pack stereos,sofas and maybe get the bank card and withdraw the daily limit.
a situation where armed robbers will shoot people believing they were holding out on them will cease
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by Olaisrich(m): 8:28pm On May 27, 2011

That is exactly my point! if you re-examing my post very well you will see that i mentioned
those vulnerable masses hiring smbody to do that for them,but my concern is the inherent
security risk that it posed!
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 8:37pm On May 27, 2011
Dis Guy:

Cost of printing when compared to other countries can be huge or insignificant depending but if there's a chance to make a saving and perhaps direct that money to somewhere else then good. unfortunately i dont know much different countries print their cash but it will be interesting to include their GDP and other economic indices to see the price holistically

When I said cost of Printing in Nigeria pales in comparison to many other countries, I meant when GDP, and all are considered. Brazil, Kenya,Ghana, etc have costs almost more than we have considering

a) Our population
b) GDP
c) Amount spent on ther non-essentials in the same country.

Dis Guy:

The CBN will have to regulate the banks hence will have to monitor their operational cost to set interest rate, charges, fines and other policies- at the end of the day the banks will lend to businesses and you dont want them charging exhorbitant amount they can easily blame on costs incurred
That is something completely different from the CBN intruding and making decisions as if it is also in charge of the individual banks choice on cash handling. What the CBN is meant to do is set policies to enable banks(mostly private entities) to conduct their business in the most effective and efficient way possible.

Dis Guy:

the same way the govt has to provide enabling environment to make businesses operate and survive- we can say the the business should provide electricity/water/road for themselves they govt should just provide security and laws

There is nothing enabling in this policy -- matter of fact, what it seems to do is LIMIT banks and customers in more ways than one. CBN should not be in the business of demanding banks implement electronic payment alternatives, it should instead put in place policies to ENABLE banks do it should they feel that service will be beneficial in the end. CBN should not be in the business of limiting the transactions banks can offer customers -- it should instead focus on policies to enable banks offer the customers solutions that are tailored to their need and their capacity.

Dis Guy:

the banks already have electronic banking, companies already bought license for POS etc etc the long term benefits outweighs the initial cost- the CBN is only issuing licenses and regulating their operation, those with licenses are current sitting idle waiting for the catalyst-

Not all banks do. Matter of fact, if you follow the news, the CBN itself is speaking of it's working on installing 300,000 PoS terminals or so around the country.

PS: You cannot just say "Long term benefits outweigh this and that " without working harder at providing more substantive support for such claim. Doing that is akin to GBAJUE moves.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by femmy2010(m): 8:38pm On May 27, 2011
lucabrasi:

we also have the precedence of a relatively cash free economy not only in many western societies,but in some parts of africa moreover the gsm technology was not as advanced in uk for a fact in the early 90s same as the internet almost the same time it was catching roots in nigeria.

like i stated before, the advantage of lamido's cashless reform at this time is that we only need to understudy  already established societies like the uk,usa,europe,south africa and we cant go wrong.
nigerians complained at the advent of credit cards and other innovations but now getting used to it
dont nit pick the disadvantages,but think of the advantages and how much safer it will make the society
many armed robbers ill not even bother breaking into houses again,what armed robber wants to risk capture for 300,000?
there are armed robbers in western world as well,but they don bother with home invasion because there is no cash,unless they want to pack stereos,sofas and maybe get the bank card and withdraw the daily limit.
a situation where armed robbers will shoot people believing they were holding out on them will cease

Do we really have Credit Cards(Not the debit cards we use)in Nigeria?and if yes then less than 5% use or have access to them.
It is true that we have the advantage of been able to under study the other more advance Countries of the world but my question is that  even as advance as they are they still give citizenry the option of going with cash and not imposition of cashless transaction on them or make some high deduction as a deterrent for large withdrawal.

Government imposition of cashless transaction next year and its promise that by year 2020 Nigeria would be among the best 20 Countries of the world have a whole lot in common and one of them is that our Government are never been frank with themselves and see situations from a fathom point of view.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by hackney(m): 8:44pm On May 27, 2011
Card purchase in a country with epileptic power supply.

Next thing shop owners will be saying to customers: "swipe am again, the half current no dey enter money."
Nothing is ever thought through in africa;No wonder blacks dont make anything
Monkeys
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by femmy2010(m): 8:50pm On May 27, 2011
hackney:

Card purchase in a country with epileptic power supply.

Next thing shop owners will be saying to customers: "swipe am again, the half current no dey enter money."
Nothing is ever thought through in africa;No wonder blacks dont make anything
Monkeys

You said it all.
There are certain things that need to be functional before an imposition of a cashless everything can be acceptable and welcomed.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 8:52pm On May 27, 2011
Now, like I have pointed out so many times before now, I am not against banks offering more electronic payment methods but from my assessment, the reason it has not really taken off like use of cell phones and paycard is because banks themselves have not sold it well. Cost alone is major reason why many people, over 60% of our populace, still do not use banks.

Now, yes, the CBN claims this will only affect 8% of the populace -- probably the same 8% that hold more than 80% of the countries wealth. I don't see how this will benefit the layman in the long run as the CBN has not even attempted to claim that it will. From your own explaination, this is likely to hurt the layman in the long run as the cost of operation is likely to be passed down to them if anything. Traders will probably pass the increase in cost of operation down to the consumer and yes, the CBN will probably claim it pays less to print maybe 20% less cash but the consumer may at the same time complain that he now pays 20% more as a result of the CBN policy. So, how do we deem this a success?

This FORCE IT ON THE 8% approach is what I am against. Even say na only 1%, punishing them will equal punishing the rest of us. lipsrsealed
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by bestinvest: 8:57pm On May 27, 2011
he ,everybody Operation cash less is the best
with my GTB account and A Token device ,you can send money to any bank in Nigeria in 5 second,i do not go to bank again for 6 month now
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by femmy2010(m): 9:02pm On May 27, 2011
bestinvest:

he ,everybody Operation cash less is the best
with my GTB account and A Token device ,you can send money to any bank in Nigeria in 5 second,i do not go to bank again for 6 month now

Nobody says cashless isn't good but the point of worry is the forceful aspect.
Let it be that i can embrace cashless or do it the old fashion way which is still been done in the "look up to" more industrialized nations.
Re: Cbn To Test-run Cash Transaction Limit Policy In Lagos by femmy2010(m): 9:05pm On May 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

This FORCE IT ON THE 8% approach is what I am against. Even say na only 1%, punishing them will equal punishing the rest of us.  lipsrsealed

That is what i don't like too.
If they are sure of the to be introduced policy then let them do their bit and allow us to make our choice on whether to go cashless or otherwise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria / Who Is This Sweet-tongue Mr. Forex Guy On Our Radio Sets In Lagos? / How Much To Open Ecobank Account In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.