Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,410 members, 7,911,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 10:54 PM

Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? (3547 Views)

What Can Man Do To Be Saved? / How Can Man Be Sinless? / Native Doctor Exposes "Pastor" Begging Him Online To Make Him Rich. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by tctrills: 1:26am On Sep 26, 2021
In Exodus 32, the Lord was angry with Israel and wanted to destroy them. Moses seemed to plead and bring up good points why the Lord shouldn't destroy them.
God finally yielded to Moses.
Since God has all knowledge and wisdom and he knows what's best, why did it take Moses to get him to change is mind?
Can we also make God change his mind?
Or was that scripture wrongly translated.
Exzodus 32. 9-14.

1 Like

Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by Ayo081(m): 2:00am On Sep 26, 2021
Bergain or remembering God of his promises is a better word.

Like Abraham did.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by MightySparrow: 2:02am On Sep 26, 2021
The Bible tells us it is possible.
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by ChiefSosa(m): 2:45am On Sep 26, 2021
Since God has all knowledge and wisdom and he knows what's best, why did it take Moses to get him to change is mind?
I think Moses' Pleading (emphasis on pleading) was what changed God's mind. The fact he GENUINELY pled must have reduced God's anger, thereby making God give moses a listening ear and an open heart.
bring up good points why the Lord shouldn't destroy them.
I believe moses EMPHASIZED on the good sides of the Israelites that were worth considering, rather than being tossed out.
Fact is: God has actually changed his mind towards us and has shown us mercy at different points in time, even when we are not aware.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by Amotolongbo(f): 3:09am On Sep 26, 2021
God has created everything he needs creating. God don move on.
Survival lies in every creature’s hand and all depends on how you go about it

2 Likes

Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by jesusjnr2020(m): 3:09am On Sep 26, 2021
Lol! Really funny question.

What you don't seem to understand is that when God usually had a conversation with His creation, it's often a test to see how much His creation had learnt from His teachings and the instructions He gave them.

So what you see as Moses advising God was Moses actually praying according to the Will of God and His teachings, proving he was an excellent student who had learnt well from God's teachings by his response. Therefore Moses passed God's test with flying colors, like a first class or an A1, because he reacted according to the way God taught him and the same way God would have reacted if God were human.

That's why God heeded what Moses had told Him, because it actually aligned with God's ways and interest. Such were the things that Moses did that made God to have a high regard and respect for him, that He wouldn't have students as Aaron and Miriam, who themselves had performed woefully in their own tests which God gave to them, joke with him, because God consequently saw Moses as Himself, being a man who was walking in accordance with His ways and instructions more than such ones.

Something similar happened with Abraham in the instance of Sodom and Gomorrah, as God was pleased to hear Abraham speak and pray in accordance to His Will and what He had taught him, hence why God was happy to wait to hear and answer all that His student had to ask, to see how much he'd learnt and also to put him through anything he couldn't understand.

Even in the beginning, despite God knowing that Adam had already sinned and eaten of the forbidden fruit, and hence failed God's test, God still wanted to hear and see if Adam had learnt anything from his disobedience, and if he would humble himself and repent, so that He would forgive him and make the punishment for his failure less severe. But Adam proved to be a very bad and the worst kind of student, who despite failing the test God gave to him, was still claiming right and trying to put the blame of his failure on someone else, instead of repenting and asking God for forgiveness. So God had no choice but to make Adam get the full reward or punishment for the woeful way he performed in His test.

Therefore it takes the understanding the ways of God to be able to rightly interpret God's actions and reactions in His conversations with His creation.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by Bachelorette: 3:17am On Sep 26, 2021
Can a clay advice the porter?
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by Bachelorette: 3:18am On Sep 26, 2021
Ayo081:

Like Abraham did.

Abraham did not advice God, he only interceded for the nation.
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by Bachelorette: 3:31am On Sep 26, 2021
tctrills:
In Exodus 32, the Lord was angry with Israel and wanted to destroy them. Moses seemed to plead and bring up good points why the Lord shouldn't destroy them.
Exzodus 32. 9-14.

God is all knowing God and whatever He has planned, no one can stop it. In the case of Moses, God's plan was to take the Israelites to the promised land, (that was His plan) but they rebelled, complain and murmur........you know the story

Moses only interceded (stood in the gap) in form of prayer and prayed that God should 'remember' what he promised them. Does that sound like an advice? I doubt. That is putting God in remembrance of His Word.

God Himself said "put ye me in remembrance that ye may be justified"

The question is........who can advice God to change His mind on what He had planned to do concerning how the rapture will take place or the woed that await Satan and his followers, I guess no one. I mean NO ONE

Shalom!
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by orisa37: 3:54am On Sep 26, 2021
Prayer is ADVICE in This Context. Yes. When you PRAY RIGHTLY, GOD WILL ANSWER YOU POSITIVELY..

REPENTANCE IS PRAYER TOO. When you genuinely repent, God will change His Mind to favour you.

PRAYER WITHOUT FURTHER SINNING, IS YOUR ANSWER.

1 Like

Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:44am On Sep 26, 2021
Bachelorette:

grin or your phone change your mind?
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:46am On Sep 26, 2021
Bachelorette:

God is all knowing God and whatever He has planned, no one can stop it. In the case of Moses, God's plan was to take the Israelites to the promised land, (that was His plan) but they rebelled, complain and murmur........you know the story

Moses only interceded (stood in the gap) in form of prayer and prayed that God should 'remember' what he promised them. Does that sound like an advice? I doubt. That is putting God in remembrance of His Word.

God Himself said "put ye me in remembrance that ye may be justified"

The question is........who can advice God to change His mind on what He had planned to do concerning how the rapture will take place or the woed that await Satan and his followers, I guess no one. I mean NO ONE

Shalom!

cheesy Easy Gee, I believe he meant well.
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by Ayo081(m): 6:46am On Sep 26, 2021
Bachelorette:

Abraham did not advice God, he only interceded for the nation.

Exactly.
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by Uyi168: 6:55am On Sep 26, 2021
smiley
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:26am On Sep 26, 2021
tctrills:
Exzodus 32. 9-14.

As Bachelorette Warned, no man is qualified to give God advice.

But what you see is the Goodness of God in Action in that The Creator speaks with His lesser creation and the creation is permitted to speak to Him.

Many wonderful things took place there.
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by tctrills: 8:35am On Sep 26, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

As Bachelorette Warned, no man is qualified to give God advice.

But what you see is the Goodness of God in Action in that The Creator speaks with His lesser creation and the creation is permitted to speak to Him.

Many wonderful things took place there.
I understand God permitting Moses to speak. But this was basically Mises calming an angry God down.
It was Moses being the bigger man and providing council that calmed the situation and made God change his mind.
God is always right but in this case, it was Moses that was right. And he heeded room Moses' wise words

1 Like

Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by tctrills: 8:37am On Sep 26, 2021
Ayo081:

Like Abraham did.
When you say rememberin God his promise, dies God forget his promise? Does he need to be remained? Would God break his promise if we don't remain hum?
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by tctrills: 8:42am On Sep 26, 2021
ChiefSosa:

I think Moses' Pleading (emphasis on pleading) was what changed God's mind. The fact he GENUINELY pled must have reduced God's anger, thereby making God give moses a listening ear and an open heart.

I believe moses EMPHASIZED on the good sides of the Israelites that were worth considering, rather than being tossed out.

Fact is: God has actually changed his mind towards us and has shown us mercy at different points in time, even when we are not aware.
The scripture wrote, in James 1.8
he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
God is not double-minded. He does not change.
As a perfect being, there is no shadow of turning in him.
It shouldn't take Moses to make him realize and keep his promise to Isreal
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by tctrills: 8:43am On Sep 26, 2021
MightySparrow:
The Bible tells us it is possible.
If God can change, then is he perfect. There is no shadow of turning in him.
Moses is not wiser than God
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by tctrills: 8:49am On Sep 26, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
Lol! Really funny question.

What you don't seem to understand is that when God usually had a conversation with His creation, it's often a test to see how much His creation had learnt from His teachings and the instructions He gave them.

So what you see as Moses advising God was Moses actually praying according to the Will of God and His teachings, proving he was an excellent student who had learnt well from God's teachings by his response. Therefore Moses passed God's test with flying colors, like a first class or an A1, because he reacted according to the way God taught him and the same way God would have reacted if God were human.

That's why God heeded what Moses had told Him, because it actually aligned with God's ways and interest. Such were the things that Moses did that made God to have a high regard and respect for him, that He wouldn't have students as Aaron and Miriam, who themselves had performed woefully in their own tests which God gave to them, joke with him, because God consequently saw Moses as Himself, being a man who was walking in accordance with His ways and instructions more than such ones.

Something similar happened with Abraham in the instance of Sodom and Gomorrah, as God was pleased to hear Abraham speak and pray in accordance to His Will and what He had taught him, hence why God was happy to wait to hear and answer all that His student had to ask, to see how much he'd learnt and also to put him through anything he couldn't understand.

Even in the beginning, despite God knowing that Adam had already sinned and eaten of the forbidden fruit, and hence failed God's test, God still wanted to hear and see if Adam had learnt anything from his disobedience, and if he would humble himself and repent, so that He would forgive him and make the punishment for his failure less severe. But Adam proved to be a very bad and the worst kind of student, who despite failing the test God gave to him, was still claiming right and trying to put the blame of his failure on someone else, instead of repenting and asking God for forgiveness. So God had no choice but to make Adam get the full reward or punishment for the woeful way he performed in His test.

Therefore it takes the understanding the ways of God to be able to rightly interpret God's actions and reactions in His conversations with His creation.

God bless.
To understand you better, you are saying this was all a test, God wasn't really angry and he actually did not want to destroy Israel?
I could agree with you but then Exodus 32.14
Then the Lord relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened.
The keyword there is relented. Some translation's use repented.
If this was only a test, then verse 14 is wrong
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by tctrills: 8:50am On Sep 26, 2021
Bachelorette:
Moses seemed to do so in Exodus 32. 11-14
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by tctrills: 8:52am On Sep 26, 2021
orisa37:
Prayer is ADVICE in This Context. Yes. When you PRAY RIGHTLY, GOD WILL ANSWER YOU POSITIVELY..

REPENTANCE IS PRAYER TOO. When you genuinely repent, God will change His Mind to favour you.

PRAYER WITHOUT FURTHER SINNING, IS YOUR ANSWER.
Totally different from what this. God intended to destroy Isreal, Moses got him to change is mind.
Are you saying that men could make the Lord change his mind?
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by ChiefSosa(m): 8:59am On Sep 26, 2021
tctrills:

The scripture wrote, in James 1.8
he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
God is not double-minded. He does not change.
As a perfect being, there is no shadow of turning in him.
It shouldn't take Moses to make him realize and keep his promise to Isreal
I got you, bro! But, I don't consider God to be double-minded, a word like 'indecisive' would've been better and more understandable! Meaning: God has/had several options regarding matters.

1 Like

Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by tctrills: 9:18am On Sep 26, 2021
ChiefSosa:

I got you, bro! But, I don't consider God to be double-minded, a word like 'indecisive' would've been better and more understandable! Meaning: God has/had several options regarding matters.
I don't believe God to be double minded either my issue is with the bible verse not God.
Now remember when Christ prayed and asked God to take away the cup, he stated 'but if it be thy will, let it be done.'
In this case, God already indicated his will to Moses. He was furious with Isreal and wanted to destroy the entire nation.
Moses spoke some wise words and he saw sense in it. I find it hard to believe that is how a perfect being works.
No doubt, God has several options but does he also will multiple, opposite things at the same time?
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by Ayo081(m): 9:20am On Sep 26, 2021
tctrills:

When you say rememberin God his promise, dies God forget his promise? Does he need to be remained? Would God break his promise if we don't remain hum?

He doesn't. But our rebellion will attract his anger. However, when we remind of his words, he will forgive us.

13 Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac and Israel, to whom you swore by your own self: ‘I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and I will give your descendants all this land I promised them, and it will be their inheritance forever.’ ”

14 Then the Lord relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened.
Exodus 32:13‭-‬14 NIV

Read Exodus 32 and 1 Kings 11. There more references too.
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by jesusjnr2020(m): 9:36am On Sep 26, 2021
tctrills:

To understand you better, you are saying this was all a test, God wasn't really angry and he actually did not want to destroy Israel?
I could agree with you but then Exodus 32.14
Then the Lord relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened.
The keyword there is relented. Some translation's use repented.
If this was only a test, then verse 14 is wrong
I never said God wasn't angry with Israel or that He didn't want to destroy Israel. I spoke of His conversation with Moses being a test. I spake of Moses praying according to the Will of God and teaching of God and hence passing the test.

God Will for man is that no one perishes, but that all men come to repentance, so the prayer of Moses was according to the Will of God, hence Moses passing the test by praying according to God's Will and God heeding his prayer. So the Lord relenting, is in accordance with His Will which Moses' prayer aligned with, not that Moses was advising God as you misinterpret.

I hope you can comprehend it better now.
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by sonmvayina(m): 9:49am On Sep 26, 2021
The battle is within. God is within us...

This story is happening within us. It's a spiritual story. We should learn to understand with our mind.

The letter killeth.
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by orisa37: 10:27am On Sep 26, 2021
God intended to destroy Isreal, Moses got him to change is mind. By Prayers

Are you saying that men could make the Lord change his mind? Yes. By Prayers.
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by tctrills: 11:42am On Sep 26, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
I never said God wasn't angry with Israel or that He didn't want to destroy Israel. I spoke of His conversation with Moses being a test. I spake of Moses praying according to the Will of God and teaching of God and hence passing the test.

God Will for man is that no one perishes, but that all men come to repentance, so the prayer of Moses was according to the Will of God, hence Moses passing the test by praying according to God's Will and God heeding his prayer. So the Lord relenting, is in accordance with His Will which Moses' prayer aligned with, not that Moses was advising God as you misinterpret.

I hope you can comprehend it better now.
I disagree and I am not misinterpting. At that instance God made it clear that his will was to destroy Isreal. Until Moss spoke to him. Read from verse 9. These verses were very clear about God's will and intentions before Moses spoke to him. Please read from verse 9.
Again, how else would you define advice.

You also contradict yourself in your first paragraph.
"I never said God wasn't angry with Israel or that He didn't want to destroy Israel. I spoke of His conversation with Moses being a test. I spake of Moses praying according to the Will of God and teaching of God and hence passing the test."[color=#770077][/color]

You agree that God was angry and he wanted to destroy Isreal so how could it have been a test.
If it was a test, then he wouldn't have any intention to destroy Isreal.
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by tctrills: 11:47am On Sep 26, 2021
Ayo081:

He doesn't. But our rebellion will attract his anger. However, when we remind of his words, he will forgive us.

Read Exodus 32 and 1 Kings 11. There more references too.
Are you saying that if we do not remind him, he would break his promise?
You are confusing everything. You say he does not forget but we need to remind him. Don't you see the contradiction. And what does Solomon and first Kings 11 have to do with this?
Re: Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? by xproducer: 12:13pm On Sep 26, 2021
GOD is GOD alone... we are human!! One should proclaim the word of GOD, which is truth, pray without ceasing and remain humble before GOD.

"Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite." - Psalm 147:5

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts." - Isaiah 55:8-9

+++

"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it." - Psalm 139:5-6

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Idea Of God / Togolese Striker, Emmanuel Adebayo Accepts Islam! / What Will Become Of Religion If The Devil Repents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.