Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,656 members, 7,889,142 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 12:13 AM

Third Class Graduate With No Direction - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Third Class Graduate With No Direction (24023 Views)

Can A Third Class Graduate Apply For Masters In The USA / Man Who Graduated With Third Class From OAU Discovers He’s A Genius In Canada / What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by mamaafrik(m): 1:04pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:
Please I need advice, any advice.
I graduated with a 3rd class in Chemistry from three years ago (I only blame myself for that) and after I finished my NYSC a year ago I just plunged into a depressive state in regards to my mistake (my education) and my future (career) sometimes breaking down in tears when I think of things I've taken for granted in my life.

I started working on myself a few months ago and I've made some progress I proud of but every now and then it's easy to be overwhelmed with self doubt.
I made a cv without work experience along with a cover letter a few days ago and applied for a few entry level jobs like graduate intern, sales, restaurant supervisor etc via jobberman and the companies email but I'm not too sure I'll be getting any calls from them.
I didn't come here to get sympathy just an honest advice or opinion on what to do.

Can I do a pgd in chemical engineering or just chemistry or pursue a business or computer/tech course, are there jobs I can get with my degree maybe to get skills and work experience?
I deeply appreciate any advice. Thank you.
see whether 1st,2nd or 3rd polish yourself ,it won't be easy but go business,internship,or programming.
You will be surprised after few year,i was in your shoes 2yrs ago,i no dey allow people near my credentials because I felt it will belittle ,i started as an intern but after getting a Job as a maintenance engineer,i dropped all the low self esteem and i can tell you,even first class dey learn when it comes to "deliver job".
I'm still going to try programming and business.
You can enter my d.m to send me a msg for better talks.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Paiebi(m): 1:13pm On Sep 30, 2021
Don't be depressed! If u're not employed, learn a trade. I could not even graduate. Am managing PLUMBING WORK now. Got married last year. About to start a farm also

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Bigredmachine: 1:24pm On Sep 30, 2021
ford101:
just say u are too weak to go the wrong side to make it.

Whatever... I just don't want to soil my hands
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Enizzie: 1:36pm On Sep 30, 2021
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Odunayor10(m): 1:36pm On Sep 30, 2021
othermen:
I think it is better if you say ‘seeking direction’ rather than ‘with no direction’ … seeking direction itself is a good direction.

Also I think you need to stop seeing yourself as inferior. Try to take your circumstances as an opportunity to propel more.

If job is not forthcoming, It may be God telling you that he did not intend you to be an employee but an employer. Rather than applying as a supervisor in a restaurant, you should be able to start one for instance.

If you still feel oriented towards academics, you have to ask yourself, to what end that is. Is it to equip you to be employable? How many of your classmates are working in a chemistry related role? If there (they) are, maybe continue down that road then.

Whatever skill you learn or acquire, you should ask yourself…to what end. If it’s to increase your chances in the labor market; that sounds reasonable but are there better reasons that could inform your choice?

Allow the opportunities that surrounds you inform your decision. I know young medical Doctors selling hair, I know barristers or law graduates doing events planning and I know many engineers working as tellers in the bank, unfulfilled in the role.

Look at the informal sector and do so with your best efforts. There’s certainly something for you there if your intent to make something meaningful of your life is strong enough.

All the best to you.

This is wonderful. The Lord bless you sir.

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Enizzie: 1:38pm On Sep 30, 2021
Are you in Lagos? I can connect you to a company. The pay is manageable. KINDLY RESPOND ASAP

Dizzyish:
I graduated with a 3rd class in Chemistry from three years ago (I only blame myself for that) and after I finished my NYSC a year ago I just plunged into a depressive state in regards to my mistake (my education) and my future (career) sometimes breaking down in tears when I think of things I've taken for granted in my life.

I started working on myself a few months ago and I've made some progress I proud of but every now and then it's easy to be overwhelmed with self doubt.
I made a cv without work experience along with a cover letter a few days ago and applied for a few entry level jobs like graduate intern, sales, restaurant supervisor etc via jobberman and the companies email but I'm not too sure I'll be getting any calls from them.
I didn't come here to get sympathy just an honest advice or opinion on what to do.

Can I do a pgd in chemical engineering or just chemistry or pursue a business or computer/tech course, are there jobs I can get with my degree maybe to get skills and work experience?
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by spiritualmubi: 1:47pm On Sep 30, 2021
larion:

Go and learn AWS DevOps, if you don't buy a house in 3 years, come after me for refund for the wasted time.

You have e to be diligent and genuinely out effort into studying the concepts and knowing it. 6 months should be fine.

Below is a breakdown of what you need to learn:

AWS
Linux basic operations
Git and GitHub
Jenkins for CI/CD pipeline
Docker
Terraform
Prometheus/Grafana

If you can add Kubernetes to the stack, then reduce the time it will take you to buy your house from 3 years to 2.

All these things should NOT take you more than 6 months to learn, it has to do with IT and computer, but I tell you....if you can graduate with chemistry in Nigeria, (I don't care the class) learning all those butane, propane, tetrahydrocannabinol equation, then you can learn this stuffs.

The market is VERY hot for DevOps at the moment, after learning it, you should easily get a job of 5k USD per month, as a fresher....either you move to South Africa, UK,or US .....or you work remotely from Nigeria....the market is HOT!

Once you have 1 year hands on experience, expect to start earning 300 to 400usd every day....that's 150k naira, daily!

Yes! I mean this....if you earn 4million naira every month and you cannot buy a house in 2 years, then na you Sabi.

But hey....you have to study these things diligently for the first 6 months.

Anyone who doesn't understand what I am saying should search "AWS Devops jobs in UK or US". Put the job type to contract and see how much you can earn per day....

The question is, are you ready to study hard just for 6 month??
Good day sir. Please how can I go about learning those courses, and how much is needed to learn them. And how can I get job after leaning the courses for six months?
Thanks sir
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by KarinaLove(f): 2:00pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Why did you finish with a Third Class?

Are you telling me you wasted all your parents money and resources for years and came out with a Third Class?

Were you playing all through your stay in school?

Inside life.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 30, 2021
15thAccount:

Hey, I don't know if you'll ever see this, as there are many posts before mine, but i was a similar boat as yours, I graduated with a third class about 3-4 years ago and this was after 3 extra years. I graduated with no skills and no experiences, inferiority complex and social anxiety. I was learning animation for a while before I decided to go into tech. Even though tech is stressful, the growth is exponential, even compared to what you see in other industries, you'll probably earn in your first year what others in industries like banking or insurance earn after 2 to 3 years.

You'll say your salary as a developer on nairaland and it'll cause fight, because many Nigerians cannot fathom how someone will earn that kind of money in this economy. Nobody will believe you. so basically tech gives you the potential to earn unbelievable salary lmao.

People outside of tech don't understand and think about guys telling you "let me build a website for you 10k". That's not the tech industry i'm talking about. on average junior devs earn about 150k to 350k here in Nigeria every month, If its a foreign Job, its about 1000 - 2000 dollars every month.

My Advice.
Pick up a laptop and do your research of how to go into tech, learn necessary skills like HTML and CSS and Javascript and a backend language, It would probably take you a year to be comfortable (I learnt for about a year or two, before getting my first role). Developers are in high demand in Nigeria, because many experienced developers go on to work for foreign companies remotely, so many Nigerian firms need to constantly hire devs to replace them.

This is the only advice I can give now, because it worked for me and I don't regret, I still feel some inferiority complex and social anxiety gathered over the years while i was in school due to the consistent F9's and my broke state (seriously broke all those years). But I generally feel a lot better than I did, I've made some worthwhile friends, I'm very comfortable and I feel I have a direction which I never felt all my days in school.
Of course I also pray, so God is very involved too. If you are an atheist, know that I have a lot of agnostic friends who are doing quite well (them boku for tech), but I know that personally, I couldn't manage without God.

If you're serious about this and want to give this a shot, quote me and I'll give you a roadmap or possible roadmaps you can follow to get your first tech job. Its not easy at all(you'll have to learn algorithms and data structures and read a lot of theory) but its very worth it.

Yeah I'm actually interested in front end engineering, I did some research on it yesterday like on the below sites:
https://www.codecademy.com/catalog (This one seems to have a structured syllabus for novices)

https://skillcrush.com/blog/skills-to-become-a-front-end-developer/

I read somewhere about a guy reaching junior level in 5 months, he said he studied for many hours within that timespan. I never expected it to be easy but I'm willing to learn (on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the difficulty on learning frontend or a backend language?)

A friend of mine also mentioned he'd like if I got into coding since I'm good with tech stuff. Which do you think is I should pick up: Frontend or backend? Also, after learning would I need certification/s or just a good portfolio?
Thank you very very much for your comment. Your roadmap is deeply appreciated.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by ksolo191(m): 2:07pm On Sep 30, 2021
Do you know you can make 1.6M. In 4weeks. Am Mr. Solomon From 5 Start Cummunity Club. you will be shocked if I explain to you how we operate. am a living witness of the platform.Private chat me to join our gifting and Re-gifting platform(+218925547157)
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by oluku86: 2:11pm On Sep 30, 2021
I'm learning HTML and JavaScript now. I just need a coach in case I come across any challenge. Thanks
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 30, 2021
larion:

Go and learn AWS DevOps, if you don't buy a house in 3 years, come after me for refund for the wasted time.

You have e to be diligent and genuinely out effort into studying the concepts and knowing it. 6 months should be fine.

Below is a breakdown of what you need to learn:

AWS
Linux basic operations
Git and GitHub
Jenkins for CI/CD pipeline
Docker
Terraform
Prometheus/Grafana

If you can add Kubernetes to the stack, then reduce the time it will take you to buy your house from 3 years to 2.

All these things should NOT take you more than 6 months to learn, it has to do with IT and computer, but I tell you....if you can graduate with chemistry in Nigeria, (I don't care the class) learning all those butane, propane, tetrahydrocannabinol equation, then you can learn this stuffs.

The question is, are you ready to study hard just for 6 month??
I forgot to mention it's chemistry in ghana. HTML, CSS and Java did catch my interest, are those good learning blocks for a novice?
What do you think of this syllabus:
https://www.codecademy.com/catalog
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by KatrakaNG(m): 2:33pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Research any university offering conversion courses. That will afford you a second chance to make your degree better than it is. Max 4 semesters you are done. Just get someone to sponsor you back to school. Research CONVERSION PROGRAM.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by gstream: 2:40pm On Sep 30, 2021
FaithfuII18:
you na third class too, omo una plenty oh, dey waste una parents money.
tufia

If na by class, I no suppose dey where I dey Guy. all the 3rd class have very good job, mumu you are still talking like you are not in Nigeria.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by groundfinger(m): 3:01pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Brother; i understand what you are passing through, but believe me nobody hold your destiny, yes..i am a third class student of physics department but i discuss my skill and work on it, i specialize in solar energy and God have being feeding me and my family through it...So don't look at your degree instead fine a skill that u can do and put your mind in it, believe me you will exile for it..God will surely make a way for you.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Elijah348(m): 3:04pm On Sep 30, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Blood of Zachariah! How do you join the company by email?? Are you sure first class are jobless

I'm not saying first class are jobless don't misquote me.
I'm saying that the job market is not favorable right now in spite of the class of degree one has.

Secondly. I hesitate to say grace.... but let's just say I was connected through a female acquaintance.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by belovez(m): 3:05pm On Sep 30, 2021
15thAccount:

Hey, I don't know if you'll ever see this, as there are many posts before mine, but i was a similar boat as yours, I graduated with a third class about 3-4 years ago and this was after 3 extra years. I graduated with no skills and no experiences, inferiority complex and social anxiety. I was learning animation for a while before I decided to go into tech. Even though tech is stressful, the growth is exponential, even compared to what you see in other industries, you'll probably earn in your first year what others in industries like banking or insurance earn after 2 to 3 years.

You'll say your salary as a developer on nairaland and it'll cause fight, because many Nigerians cannot fathom how someone will earn that kind of money in this economy. Nobody will believe you. so basically tech gives you the potential to earn unbelievable salary lmao.

People outside of tech don't understand and think about guys telling you "let me build a website for you 10k". That's not the tech industry i'm talking about. on average junior devs earn about 150k to 350k here in Nigeria every month, If its a foreign Job, its about 1000 - 2000 dollars every month.

My Advice.
Pick up a laptop and do your research of how to go into tech, learn necessary skills like HTML and CSS and Javascript and a backend language, It would probably take you a year to be comfortable (I learnt for about a year or two, before getting my first role). Developers are in high demand in Nigeria, because many experienced developers go on to work for foreign companies remotely, so many Nigerian firms need to constantly hire devs to replace them.

This is the only advice I can give now, because it worked for me and I don't regret, I still feel some inferiority complex and social anxiety gathered over the years while i was in school due to the consistent F9's and my broke state (seriously broke all those years). But I generally feel a lot better than I did, I've made some worthwhile friends, I'm very comfortable and I feel I have a direction which I never felt all my days in school.
Of course I also pray, so God is very involved too. If you are an atheist, know that I have a lot of agnostic friends who are doing quite well (them boku for tech), but I know that personally, I couldn't manage without God.

If you're serious about this and want to give this a shot, quote me and I'll give you a roadmap or possible roadmaps you can follow to get your first tech job. Its not easy at all(you'll have to learn algorithms and data structures and read a lot of theory) but its very worth it.

I'm inspired with your journey. For the benefits of others who will later come across this group and will want to thread on your path, if it's okay by you it will be good you put the roadmap here on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Peaceagain: 3:57pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dude, remember that Dangote did not finish from any University. It's not about what you studied but what your purpose in life is. know why you are here and what you want to spend the rest of your life doing. I will advise, forget PGD or any other academic qualification for now and try to volunteer whatever skill you have for now pro-bono. Get more skill in whatever field your passion lies. Pay will come later. I recommend a book by Brian Tracy : Goals. It's a good book that will help you have perspective of what you want to do with your life. All the best to you!
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Imoleholuuu(f): 3:59pm On Sep 30, 2021
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Imoleholuuu(f): 4:02pm On Sep 30, 2021
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by toprealman: 4:52pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

I no longer have access to that email.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 30, 2021
toprealman:

I no longer have access to that email.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Zeal0000007(m): 6:14pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Thank you. Please what would you suggest? I was thinking maybe I should do a pgd in chemistry or chem engr. (if that's possible) so at least I can have a fighting chance applying for shell, moni pulo or maybe nnpc because oil& gas is why I choose chemisty, I don't know..
guy no oil company picks up a graduate irrespective of ur grade in school for an office or administrative role so take off ur mind from there. U can't get oil company job because u have good grades or master degree. Employment in oil companies are done Internally, the select from themselves, or those at the high arachy can pick their relatives or those that they're touched to help irrespective of ur grade school, so majorities working there came out with pass in school, oil company jobs is through man know man not grade and thats Nigeria for u.
Instead of going for pgd if u really want to work there, go and learn things like crane operating, u can work there as a specialist, u can equally learn how to operate fork lifts. there are alot of companies u can work as an operator. Be a specialist, this days no company want to employ any graduate to keep u in d the office to do administrative job, that side is filled , the will always ask apart from being a graduate what else can u do ? So go for a skill and apply as a specialist eg crane operating u might even get offshore job, thank me later I stay in Portharcourt too, call if u need to 08165859931

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Hassanmaye(m): 6:18pm On Sep 30, 2021
Sdbsylaz:

Am in dis same circle but thank God for where i am today, i hav a Job, am married, av gat 2 children and am living well all by the Grace of God.
3rd class is not a Death sentence, i remembered wen i saw my certificate i just smiled, i tot of payin for a fake certificate wit an upgraded Grade(2nd class upper) but i jst said to myself "God plss bless this certificate" it didn't take a month afta my NYSC i got a Job.
Trust me, we are doin well and better than some first class & 2nd class graduates both in discharging our duties at work place and other wise.. Just bliv in God and urself thats all.
(i still dey reason weda to run PGD den Masters or just lockUp)��� God bless!!! ��
Wow which university
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Gfskw: 6:23pm On Sep 30, 2021
Focus on your skills and stop looking for job create one

have built houses doing biz and employed first class holders and still shitting on my pairs with all the success
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by jaxxy(m): 6:24pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Even as I type this I have tears in my eyes. I'm grateful for the mere fact that I'm alive but sometimes I just don't know what to do. I wake up, eat, read and sleep, my life for the past two years has just been a mostly unfulfilling cycle.

This is a good sign, why do I say so? U are self aware of ur errors, and uncomfortable with ur current state.

Now to change ur life u only have to change 1 thing. UR MIND.

Ur Mindset, How u think. What u think about, How u act on what u think about, what u study or read from this point forward. What u focus on!

If u can get this right u will get ur life right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by pauladonis(m): 6:58pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Third class graduate like you. I learnt a skill and started freelancing with it a few months ago.

I made a thread about it here: https://www.nairaland.com/6777939/think-youre-failing-life-should
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by enonche85(m): 7:30pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

3rd class is not a death sentence.

One question you should ask yourself now is what do you have passion for as per career, from there you can take the next step.

Another thing you can do is enroll for trainings which leads to certifications that suit your interest and career path. Employers these days hardly look at the grade you graduated with bit rather your experiences. So in the absence of work experience, these trainings and certifications will help you get a good job.

Once again, 3rd class is not a death sentence

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by cutieme(m): 7:53pm On Sep 30, 2021
gibzzhd:
My encouragement woul be the way I have encouraged myself. I work in a school we're most of my colleagues have 2.1,2.2 and even Masters. My principal is on a PHD program and her salary isn't far from mine. So why my worries after all. I'm doing a PGd program and most of my colleagues are working in Federal and state agencies and even banks. One is working in NLG with the same 3rd class. So I told myself with the right placement your certificates don't matter. So any one who is telling me I can't work in a good place because of my result just don't want to help.
Where are you doing the PGD and how much is the tuition fee?
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Hassanmaye(m): 8:15pm On Sep 30, 2021
henrybangs44:

Omooo bro. I also graduated with third class. The moment I entered the uni I lost interest in schooling. Though I was developing myself in other ways like sound editing, video editing and all these IT things on my own. Before I graduate I was able to at least have the skills to some average level. I wasn't scared of life...I never panicked, intact I was the happiest graduate of all times in that school, but my Friend that graduated with sharp 2.1 was so depressed because he couldn't make first class. Right now he's a teacher with a private school. Me on the other hand have worked with over 10 organisations from labels to NGOs to several brands.
Currently I'm active IT guy for about 4 NGOs. Plus other NGOs that will have a program for a period.

I didn't study computer science. But do u know the demand in IT guys by NGOs?? Something as simple as projector set up is very important in their meetings..if they discover you can also design thier fliers or edit thier zoom meeting or arrange the soun for their outreach and seminars etc they value these things.

I've been to several place with fat allowance just to be thier IT guy.

Bro. Since I graduate after my NYSC I've not seen my certificate again. I don't even know where it is.

In summary, nobody cares what you graduate with, they only care about what you can do.

I know we've been misinformed about attaching success to grades. . biggest lie of all times... Your grade has nothing to do with you success delivery.

Just find something u can do well that people will look for you .. And you are set for life.

I get xallls from everywhere for these services.

I learnt music production to work in studios...but I didn't know it will turn out that I ll work more for NGOs since I started editing thier radio dramas...

Their are many things bro.

Forget that certificate and develop yourself bro.

You can do it...it's not late bro
Wow

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Zambian 74-Year-Old Woman Who Has Never Been To School Starts Primary School / ASUU Says The Strike Will Be Called Off Soon / Shortlisted Candidates For The 2018 Xfire N'land Undergraduate Scholarship Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.