Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,084 members, 7,977,121 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 08:16 PM

Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight (8932 Views)

Ambode & Tinubu Commission Mile 12-Ikorodu BRT Extention & New BRT Buses / Amaechi, Dakuku Say Victory In Sight For APC / End Of Boko Haram In Sight, Says Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by olyivy(f): 9:01am On May 30, 2011
See me see trouble oo.
Someone is saying we should call those concerned?!! Who should we call abeg? The same people who let the buses out of their garages and stations every morning?

By the way how come u fools didnt inform people in charge when legislators, ministers and civil servants are looting the nation dry? Why do u guys assume that the 'people in charge' knew.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by satani22: 9:10am On May 30, 2011
Good point @playmode. U are a reasonable fellow. Growing up in Lagos in 80s we had lmts&lstc. Where are they 2day? It happened gradually like this brt till they were scraped. Maintenance culture is lacking. Some of d roads fashola built don dey spoil small small
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Mynd44: 9:23am On May 30, 2011
I wonder why people think with their backsides and sit on their brains. Did you even try calling them and giving them the bus numbers if you did and nobody made an effort to mak a change then you can talk but obviously you are too dumb to think like that and would rather open those gutters you call mouths.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Ekpoma1: 9:30am On May 30, 2011
Whats wrong with most Yoruba folks on NL? The poster was simply sayin that BRT is turning into molues as a result of lack of maintenance. After all BRT in question is not free. Abegi nxt time u enter BRT take note of d poster rightly pointed out instead of displaying how lousy u guyz real are.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by vocalist(f): 9:45am On May 30, 2011
KUDOS to RIVERS STATE GOVERNOR, I Rt. Hon. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi, He is a discipline man, he believes in the doctrine of maintenance
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by otitokoro1: 9:49am On May 30, 2011
People on nairaland are gradually making it a taboo for anyone to see and complain about anything wrong in lag.

How will attacking the writer and poster answer the question or solve the issue raised in the report. Some of us actually live and experience these things so stop making it a crime to cricticise, it isnt helping the guvnor as u might think.

Almajiris!

This is exactly the problem with this nation, If you call the so call numbers of the BRT help line, they are either not available or even when picked you just hear a rude response. Now The problem of Nigeria is not the people in power but the fanatics that follow them dogmatically,

I wish Fashola is aware of sites like Niraland,
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by faithin9ja: 9:52am On May 30, 2011
As much as I love my country, I get dispirited when educated Nigerians on Nairaland speak or type like poorly educated agberos in the beer parlour.
Yes, we have a poor maintenance culture in Nigeria, but let's get real all vehicles in Nigeria are bought with foreign exchange and maintained with foreign exchange but we charge naira for their use.

there is nowhere in the world including South Africa where you buy an asset costing $50,000 (N7.5million approx) and collect fares of less than 50cents (N100). These buses are not grossing $300 a day with which they pay drivers, buy diesel, pay the loans, and buy spare parts.

Thats why many of the BRT buses are actually 'tokunbo' painted to look nice, the operators cannot afford to buy new buses, because the fares will be too high for us the masses.

So we have to be careful when we compare ourselves to other countries where the average person can easily afford to pay between N7500 to N10,000 a week for transport (in UK it's even as much as N25k per week for public transport), in Lagos (arguably the most affluent city in Nigeria how many people can pay N2500 per week for public transport?

So before we critise, let's be clear on the so-called Naija factor and the challenges the operators face.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by otitokoro1: 9:56am On May 30, 2011
As much as I love my country, I get dispirited when educated Nigerians on Nairaland speak or type like poorly educated agberos in the beer parlour.
Yes, we have a poor maintenance culture in Nigeria, but let's get real all vehicles in Nigeria are bought with foreign exchange and maintained with foreign exchange but we charge naira for their use.

there is nowhere in the world including South Africa where you buy an asset costing $50,000 (N7.5million approx) and collect fares of less than 50cents (N100). These buses are not grossing $300 a day with which they pay drivers, buy diesel, pay the loans, and buy spare parts.

Thats why many of the BRT buses are actually 'tokunbo' painted to look nice, the operators cannot afford to buy new buses, because the fares will be too high for us the masses.

So we have to be careful when we compare ourselves to other countries where the average person can easily afford to pay between N7500 to N10,000 a week for transport (in UK it's even as much as N25k per week for public transport), in Lagos (arguably the most affluent city in Nigeria how many people can pay N2500 per week for public transport?

So before we critise, let's be clear on the so-called Naija factor and the challenges the operators face.

Please do your research well before posting on this forum, It is not educative to publish an unfounded allegation such as this , thanks
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by faithin9ja: 10:01am On May 30, 2011
@otitokoro what's the allegation? that we pay N100 to enter BRT?
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by ak47mann(m): 10:30am On May 30, 2011
yorobos never seems to stop amazing me cheesy so already they have turn the BRT to their popular known  as [b]MOLUWE those big 911 truck or lorry which they convert to lagos luxurious bus tongue wey conductor have to jump out from the truck at the same time running after the the poor truck with a big stone in his hand that stone NA to take stop the truck, lorry, 911/M-O-L-U-W-E grin
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by otitokoro1: 10:48am On May 30, 2011
yorobos never seems to stop amazing me

yigbo too are not left behind ooo Molue na for igbo in Oshodi too grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by dreday(m): 11:14am On May 30, 2011
Even from the early days of the BRT,I'd always said that allowing standing in those buses won't help anyone. Yes,I know everyone in Lagos is in a hurry but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do things right.Waiting a few minutes for the next bus won't kill anyone and standing should never ever have been an option on those buses.
Talking about maintainance, can't say I'm surprised at all what's gone wrong. Of course,playmode brought a lot of this to bear so I won't waste time writing the same things. I just think it's very disappointing when people attack people and stubbornly refuse to address issues. The OP may not have been specific but it doesn't take a genius or rocket scientist to see that the BRT buses need more attention than they're getting at the moment. Criticism is a useful tool in any any forward looking society and if we are to move forward as a nation,we must learn to take criticisms the right way and work on our weaknesses. Fashola has done well amongst his fellow governors,this doesn't mean when he's going wrong,we should keep quiet.
As a wise man said,a good man who does nothing to stop an evil has by the same act committed an evil act.

Just my 2cents
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by mazamaza: 11:32am On May 30, 2011
@ladej,

I called one of those BRT complaints numbers and got no response whatsoever. But now that you said it, I think its something that should get to the government office for them to urgently look into - not that they wouldn't already know this because they see these same buses everyday. It was a good initiative to begin with. The rot starts from them not getting qualified drivers (they probably employed the molues drivers after convincing them to submit their molues as scrap grin grin grin), and there is no running away from maintaining and cleaning. I am sure lagosians can very easily adhere to doing their own bit by not littering.

I would suggest that they get cleaning companies that would take care of the insides after getting drivers who really care about drivers and not those agberos on board. angry angry angry
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by otitokoro1: 11:35am On May 30, 2011
Even from the early days of the BRT,I'd always said that allowing standing in those buses won't help anyone. Yes,I know everyone in Lagos is in a hurry but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do things right.Waiting a few minutes for the next bus won't kill anyone and standing should never ever have been an option on those buses.
I wonder why the BRT routes must be monopolized, I would have expected that LAMATA create a universal ticket for all BRT so passengers may have options.  With this kind of competitive environment, issue of passengers standing could be addressed,  BRT(Bus Rapid Transit) is not Mass Transit(Mass movement of People).
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Mariory(m): 11:48am On May 30, 2011
playmode:

I know what the OP is talking about because i have experienced something similar in my youth.Though the OP did not specify but common guys we all know what He/she was talking about.The word "falling apart" does not need any analyses before we understand what he/she means.Someone or a group of people need to notify Fashola's Government to do something about this otherwise the BRT will collapse after a few years and a new project similar to it will be initiated only for it to collapse again.

I disagree. We don't know what she's talking about and we don't know what she means. She needed to specify what the problem actually was. Blind criticism is just as bad as blind praise. If one were to act on what the journalist wrote, then one would need to inspect all buses. That doesn't make sense to me.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by mazamaza: 11:54am On May 30, 2011
^^^^ yes, ALL the brt buses have degenerated. If she had explained now in excess which the matter is, una go say the post too long or she talks too much. I'm assuming the OP is a she,  grin grin grin

we all get what was potrayed generally,
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by otitokoro1: 11:55am On May 30, 2011
I think the indisputable fact in all points raised to critique Fashola Projects is lack of "Sustainability Plan, " I hope he will take note and make amend.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by igbogolo: 12:12pm On May 30, 2011
I think the poster is very poignant with this observation. He used the words 'point of collapse' to describe situation of the BRT buses. The poster does not need to start telling us that he gauged the oil and checked the tyres and seats. Point of collapse to me invites some criticism of the structure of the buses. ie chasis and body. seems to me these buses have become first grade molues.

However as someone that has lived in lagos for years. i can def say yes, the brt buses are now an eyesore. But the main question I would like to ask is the specific reason for the BRT in the first instance.

The selling point for the BRT was the introduction of reserved lanes. this was supposed to make the buses faster and attract private motorists to the scheme thereby reducing traffic. if now people with cars have reverted to driving themselves then the BRT has failed.

If the BRT was introduced to check the menace of pollution from cars, then again it has failed because more and more people are opting for private travel in Lagos.

If the BRT was a money spinning venture and an image launderer for the government of lagos, then they have had their reward in full, BRT should be allowed to die its natural death as it has fulfilled its purpose then.

As far as i am concerned, i would only take the BRT bus if its my ONLY option. This was against last few years where the BRT was my preferred mode of transport on weekdays in Lagos.

So much for visionless projects. i wonder why its so difficult to maintain the buses.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Reference(m): 12:13pm On May 30, 2011
I think we should put things in proper perspective. Lagos state may be able to establish good and acceptable infrastructure but what Lagos state cannot do is to raise standards of 'living'. This is a national thing. I have read a few reasonable posts on this. We must admit it is one thing to build it is another thing to maintain. Maintenance is running or operational costs and is related to 'usage' and 'payment'. Just like your phone. I can buy a Nokia Bleep the same day as yours. If by reason of affluence I let the phone sit idle all day in an airconditioned room it will surely last longer than one in the sun, rain, dust and sweat particularly if it is the only phone.

The BRT buses are not enough, the machines, drivers, mechanics are all shot. The stress is incredible. Why won't it degrade. Honestly you need to give kudos to all concerned that these things are still moving at all. How much do people pay for these services compared to the 3,000.00 the lady is referring to. The 3,000.00 is the real amount you need to pay for first class services. How many Lagosians can pay for that. If MTN or some other private organization was subsidizing their services to the tun of 50, 60 70 or 80% how long can it survive.

The BRT accountants have to square the circle, the Lagos state government has to increase capacity and expand routes while building a rail network all at the same time. BRF has to catch up with decades of non-investment in public transport literally overnight with no help whatsoever from the Federal government. The task is huge. He alone cannot tackle poverty and the purchasing power of Lagosians so services will suffer. Wetin concern poor man with seat cover or no hanging straps or the environment for that matter.

That is why the Federal government has to help. It must help. It must revive the macro economy to take the heat out of Lagos. But what I also think the Lagos State government can do is to run a two tier system. Within the ambit of BRT or transport in general it can seek a stake in upmarket, more expensive transport. Partner these cabbies within locations such as the island to subsidize the system in general and close the gap between income and expenditure (for stuff like upkeep). We must remember pure social systems can only last for a while. Lagos State government must keep an eye on its exit strategy or it will go bankrupt.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Mynd44: 12:30pm On May 30, 2011
People really need education. THOSE BUSES DON'T BELONG EXCLUSIVELY TO THE GOVERNMENT. Can't y'all read before you crucify the Governor.
And to Mazamaza, i comend you. Try calling the ministry of transport directly
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Mariory(m): 12:34pm On May 30, 2011
The ability of Nigerians for the dramatic never ceases to amaze me. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a Nollywood movie in 3D.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by olyivy(f): 12:44pm On May 30, 2011
Mynd_44:

People really need education. THOSE BUSES DON'T BELONG EXCLUSIVELY TO THE GOVERNMENT. Can't y'all read before you crucify the Governor.
And to Mazamaza, i comend you. Try calling the ministry of transport directly

It is your conscience that is crucifying the governor not me or anyone that has posted on this thread so far.

Now you want them to call ministry of transport?! Isnt the ministry an arm of the government?

Infact Yoruba boys will never cease to amaze me. No more criticizing the government again because fashola is in power!

No way!!
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by otitokoro1: 12:45pm On May 30, 2011

The fact that Government is a stakeholder in that business call for accountability.  It is the tax payer money that was used in the infrastructure development and these buses were priority bus because it is believed they are working in the interest of the masses.

I think the problem with the bus is about the management.  A source confirmed an embezzlement of one of the BRT Managers to some millions on of naira, if on a single project like this one manager can do that, that means there are several loopholes for embezzlement in that place, I seem not to agree with some point covering the inefficiency and lack of maintenance on the low cost of service to passengers.  BRT management should be looked critically into and overhauled.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by otitokoro1: 12:55pm On May 30, 2011
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by mazamaza: 1:05pm On May 30, 2011
I concur, the management should be overhauled and properly looked into, Get proper drivers - in shift duties and can account for damages and wreck. Not the danfo + molue drivers who just changed motors, There must be cleaning too!! grin grin grin, those yellow handles are now black and greasy, Now, it would take so much to fix the mess which if they had taken the initiative of tackling earlier, would have saved lagosians the discomfort,

if I got a real number I can call and get genuine response, I will call.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by mazamaza: 1:07pm On May 30, 2011
not even mentioning the bashed bodies - do they just bash the pavements or what? because they still have their lanes, don't they? angry angry angry
everything must not be jagajaga
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Mariory(m): 1:24pm On May 30, 2011
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by aljharem3: 2:07pm On May 30, 2011
Ekpoma1:

Whats wrong with most Yoruba folks on NL? The poster was simply sayin that BRT is turning into molues as a result of lack of maintenance. After all BRT in question is not free. Abegi nxt time u enter BRT take note of d poster rightly pointed out instead of displaying how lousy u guyz real are.

Whats wrong with this "mama i dey go lagos" people

get the fo.rk out of lagos if u do not like the system, it is as simple as that

furk off lagos ok undecided
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by olyivy(f): 2:21pm On May 30, 2011
alj_harem:

Whats wrong with this "mama i dey go lagos" people

get the fo.rk out of lagos if u do not like the system, it is as simple as that

furk off lagos ok undecided
Bia Ewu Awusa,

I think say u say u be kanuri.

furk off nairaland abeg.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by aljharem3: 2:26pm On May 30, 2011
olyivy:

Bia Ewu Awusa,

I think say u say u be kanuri.

furk off nairaland abeg.

i am nigerian and a friend of nigeria so nairaland terms are quite clear
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by otokx(m): 3:14pm On May 30, 2011
I want to start a war? Is the average Yoru&^%$ man not dirty? What do you expect?
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by olyivy(f): 3:28pm On May 30, 2011
otokx:

I want to start a war? Is the average Yoru&^%$ man not dirty? What do you expect?
Your war starting abilities suck!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians Would Not Be Pushed To War By The Igbo's. / Fayemi: APC Has Not Abandoned Restructuring / FG Can’t Secure All Schools - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba Tells Parents, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.