Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,114 members, 7,949,823 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 08:02 PM

Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria (21868 Views)

The Role Of Medications In Long-tearm Heart Health After Angioplasty / The Myth About Female Virginity / The Myth About Stretch Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Myer(m): 7:26pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:
1. Antibiotics dry up blood when you take them and so it must be taken with blood supplements. This is very wrong, antibiotics do not dry blood, ask your doctor or pharmacist whatever you need to know when taking antibiotics.

2. The white vitamin C works better than the coloured one. The difference between the coloured and white vitamin C are the colourants and sweeteners used to manufacture the latter, ordinarily vitamin C does not have a sweet taste but sweeteners and colourants are incorporated into the active drug during compounding/manufacture to improve the taste and aesthetics, that's all.
The sour or sweet taste is not associated with efficacy.

3. Anti helminthics (worm expellers) should be taken after taking sugar or sugary food.
Some people say this is done to entice the worm to come out and eat the sugary food so that the drugs can act on it. This is one of the most hilarious stuff I've ever heard as a pharmacist, however it is not true, just take your worm expeller as prescribed by your doctor.

4. The more expensive the drug the more effective it is compared to another brand of the same drug. This is not always true, most times you are just buying a name or a brand.

5. The particular brand prescribed by the doctor is always the best, doctors are meant to prescribe generics so that the pharmacist will be at liberty to select the available brand and dispense to the patient, most times the patient may not have enough money to buy the particular brand prescribed and the proper thing to do would be to dispense an affordable but effective brand, there are some cases where some patients would be walking from Pharmacy to Pharmacy looking for a particular brand that was given to them in the hospital while there are several other brands that they can purchase that would do same thing.

6. Roadside drug sellers are more affordable than pharmacies and hospitals. This particular myth should be listed as one of the thousand ways to die in Nigeria, patronising quacks is a sure way to meet your maker quickly. In every pharmacy, there are usually up to 5 brands of the same drug and their prices are always different too, this is to cater for needs of everyone, wether high, medium or low class, when you get into the Pharmacy, tell the pharmacist the amount you have, the chances are high that he has the drug you want that you can afford at that price, apart from getting an affordable and effective medication, you also get a sound drug information. Also make it a habit to go to the hospital when you are not feeling fine, don't wait till it's too late, government hospitals are still cheap in Nigeria, just go on time.

7. Herbal medicines are safer than orthodox medicines. Some people forget that most orthodox drugs are sourced from natural sources, moreover a particular plant may contain thousands or millions of phytochemicals, some medicinal and some harmful.

You can state yours

You just made my day with this thread.
Kudos and Thx

1 Like

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Akwamkpuruamu: 7:29pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:
1. Antibiotics dry up blood when you take them and so it must be taken with blood supplements. This is very wrong, antibiotics do not dry blood, ask your doctor or pharmacist whatever you need to know when taking antibiotics.

2. The white vitamin C works better than the coloured one. The difference between the coloured and white vitamin C are the colourants and sweeteners used to manufacture the latter, ordinarily vitamin C does not have a sweet taste but sweeteners and colourants are incorporated into the active drug during compounding/manufacture to improve the taste and aesthetics, that's all.

3. Anti helminthics (worm expellers) should be taken after taking sugar or sugary food.
Some people say this is done to entice the worm to come out and eat the sugary food so that the drugs can act on it. This is one of the most hilarious stuff I've ever heard as a pharmacist, however it is not true, just take your worm expeller as prescribed by your doctor.

4. The more expensive the drug the more effective it is compared to another brand of the same drug. This is not always true, most times you are just buying a name or a brand.

5. The particular brand prescribed by the doctor is always the best, doctors are meant to prescribe generics so that the pharmacist will be at liberty to select the available brand and dispense to the patient, most times the patient may not have enough money to buy the particular brand prescribed and the proper thing to do would be to dispense an affordable but effective brand, there are some cases where some patients would be walking from Pharmacy to Pharmacy looking for a particular brand that was given to them in the hospital while there are several other brands that they can purchase that would do same thing.

6. Roadside drug sellers are more affordable than pharmacies and hospitals. This particular myth should be listed as one of the thousand ways to die in Nigeria, patronising quacks is a sure way to meet your maker quickly. In every pharmacy, there are usually up to 5 brands of the same drug and their prices are always different too, this is to cater for needs of everyone, wether high, medium or low class, when you get into the Pharmacy, tell the pharmacist the amount you have, the chances are high that he has the drug you want that you can afford at that price, apart from getting an affordable and effective medication, you also get a sound drug information. Also make it a habit to go to the hospital when you are not feeling fine, don't wait till it's too late, government hospitals are still cheap in Nigeria, just go on time.

7. Herbal medicines are safer than orthodox medicines. Some people forget that most orthodox drugs are sourced from natural sources, moreover a particular plant may contain thousands or millions of phytochemicals, some medicinal and some harmful.

You can state yours

My wife needs to read this. I have given up the argument with the vitamin C, white efficacy stereotype.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by GreaterGraceGG(f): 7:33pm On Oct 16, 2021
How can we educate some people especially 'mother in law', who will not stop given babies herb....
Immediately I gave birth to my baby, my mother in law came in with different herbs, we fought tire

2 Likes

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by SonofGod231: 7:36pm On Oct 16, 2021
Nice one Op...There was a time I was down and couldn't walk with my legs..My mum was the first to send me some bitter herbs to drink. After taking the thing for days I decided I couldn't continue with it.
And asked them to get me some real drugs and pain killers instead but my elder sister who is a nurse said I wanted to kill myself.
That I must wait after a week before I can switch to orthopedic drugs.
I had to wait till after 7days but I still wonder the rationale behind it.

1 Like

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Lagusta(m): 7:37pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:

Lol,
Flagyl is a terrorist, I don't take it, I normally use Secnidazole, it's just four tablets at once and I'm done, no need for Flagyl.

Yes secnidazole is a lifesaver, 2gm stat

Nice one baba, you're doing well smiley

1 Like

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Patrioticman007(m): 7:39pm On Oct 16, 2021
That most Aboki drugs are fake, forgetting that its Igbo that own the fake drugs peddling business in Africa.
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by AuroraB(f): 7:40pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:

You can state yours
That number 1, na religion for this South West shocked. WTH
One moomoo boi dey send money monthly for blood tonic to him babe. Babe tell am say after every monthly period, it has to be taken to replace the lost one.
I just pity the kids these two will bring forth cry

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:

7. Herbal medicines are safer than orthodox medicines. Some people forget that most orthodox drugs are sourced from natural sources, moreover a particular plant may contain thousands or millions of phytochemicals, some medicinal and some harmful
You can state yours

Lol.

No6...so I had catarch for work one day, I work at ikeja GRA na so I enter health plus abi na med plus for adebola shopping mall at Isaac John street to get catarh medication, bro, I kid u u not I was expecting to spend max 5h based on procold or actifed stuff, I was surprised when them tell me cos of catarh medication na 2300 naira. For where na, I gats endure d catarh till close of work and got my procold for 100naira at egebeda

5 Likes

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by RxCatalyst: 7:48pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:

You can state yours

M & B paracetamol works for my body, emzor doesn't work for my body angry
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by seyz91(m): 7:50pm On Oct 16, 2021
cheesy
Shellsploit:
Withdrawal method shocked
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by adisaaowala: 8:00pm On Oct 16, 2021
Mercychen:
[s]Op, that your number 4 is not a myth. It's very true The more expensive a drug is the more effective it will be.
I'm talking from personal experience. It happened to me on two occasions.

One was during the lock down. I was down with malaria and typhoid. Then a chemist recommended lonart because I told him I was on a low budget. After taking it, no single relief. Same thing with the cheap typhoid drugs I took.

I then went to a big pharmacy and the pharmacist told me to go for the expensive drugs ( co
Ciprotab and pialaxin) that I should stop *pinching" money. Lo and behold before I finished the course, I was Hale and hearty.

Recently same thing happened.
I bought 800 malaria drugs. Nothing. I now went back and bought pialaxin, immediately after the first dose, I felt instant relief. So brand matters. All these smaller brands don't really work.

You want to compare becham Amoxil with other brands of Amoxil?
This one is a fact.[/s]

Lies lies and more lies again

Liar liar pants on fire!! angry
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Omakraid(f): 8:30pm On Oct 16, 2021
tosyne2much:
This is an eye opener

I've always thought the more expensive a drug is, the more the potency.. Most times I go for expensive anti malaria drugs neglecting the cheaper ones, thinking they are less effective
It doesn't matter how much a drug costs, once you are sensitive to it, it works. Its either your body accepts it or repels it.. I once had an infection and a list of drugs I was sensitive to was in the test report, I got to the pharmacy and gave him the slip asking which was the cheapest, I bought the drug with fear but it worked....

1 Like

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Partteen: 8:31pm On Oct 16, 2021
[quote author=Theunbothered post=106795168]

I'm not reading all this nonsense, where is the scientific evidence for herbal medicine?

Covid-19 gives mild to no symptoms for most cases so claiming herbal medicines saved you from the disease is ridiculous.

It's always personal stories from patients who never went to the hospital for a proper or have mild illnesses that will be resolved with bed rest.

I also have personal testimonies about how they ruined patient's livers and pregnancies.

Unfortunately you didn't bother to clarify but build your high level of ignorance on what you know nothing about. Take your medications and keep on waiting for validations from scientific evidence. God who made us gave us plants as food and medicine. So keep on looking for scientific evidence.
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by NoToPile: 8:34pm On Oct 16, 2021
EgusiShankly:

It does not work for me.. It even seems like juice to the parasites cos there won't be any positive effect

Lool @ juice, individuals reacting to drugs differently might be the reason.
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by OMNIVIRUS(m): 8:35pm On Oct 16, 2021
PraisesPblaze:
1. I heard it's not good to take drugs with MILK.

2. Heard that one can drink intravaneous injection liquid and it will have same effect e.g adding the liquid to coke, even alcohol (gin).

How true are these?
1. One is absolutely true. You don't consume some antibiotics like The fluoroquinolones with milk or antacid cause it causes a decrease in their bioavailability
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 16, 2021
how can someone make skushi?
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Skidee: 8:40pm On Oct 16, 2021
@ Op, please I have a question.
I think you said on the first page not take medicines with milk but safer to take with water.

But what if I took tea before or after taking the medicine with water. Won't the Medine and the tea meet in the stomach.
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Theunbothered: 8:50pm On Oct 16, 2021
[quote author=Partteen post=106798153][/quote]

Scientific evidence is why most of you didn't die at age five.

The drugs they sell at the pharmacy already come from plants, but they were made by people who went to school not fast talking scammers.

2 Likes

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Lifeisnotajungl(m): 8:54pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:
You can state yours
Op is it true not to take drug that fall on the ground?
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by emmnprince(m): 8:55pm On Oct 16, 2021
delzbaba:
I recently discovered that my system is adapting to P alaxin more than othet arthemeter drugs, is this a good thing or a bad thing, what if the company stops producing it.

Then you open your company and start your own production grin. Just kidding o
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Anwons(m): 8:56pm On Oct 16, 2021
Mercychen:

This is my personal experience. So you expect me to believe ops theory over my experience? Hm.

By the way, in my area, P-Alaxin is more expensive.
Again, would like to know how much is P-Alaxin and Lonart and your area

Yeah, but fact overrides personal opinion. Most times, personal opinion is built with emotions which can't change the fact.
In my area(PH) Lonart is 1,600 and P-Alaxin 1,400
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by tosyne2much(m): 9:00pm On Oct 16, 2021
Omakraid:

It doesn't matter how much a drug costs, once you are sensitive to it, it works. Its either your body accepts it or repels it.. I once had an infection and a list of drugs I was sensitive to was in the test report, I got to the pharmacy and gave him the slip asking which was the cheapest, I bought the drug with fear but it worked....
It worked? Can you imagine that?

This post just opened my eyes to the things I've been ignorant about

2 Likes

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by DrFunmisticGlow: 9:11pm On Oct 16, 2021
Blake755:
No drink coconut water after taking drugs is it true sad
Meanwhile op I would like to have your contact
not true
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Partteen: 9:18pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:

Obituaries and testimonies abound of the harmful effects of herbal medicines, you'd rather find me dead than take them.
Keep overwhelming your liver in the name of herbal medicines, one thousand chemicals in on one concoction.

Unfortunately, I will not mention my brand here but what you don't know, you don't know. I will rather tell you I have had infertility cases addressed and so much more. For your information, millions of people around the word have taken this brand for over 40 years and they are here to prove the efficacy. See ehn just stay on your lane and keep enjoying your orthodox medications.

For example go and find out about the hazards found in fertilizers, flouride, preservatives in processed meats etc.. information you don't seek, you don't get.

1 Like

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Realhommie(m): 9:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:

You can state yours
Can i ask please? I need counsel. Thanks
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Oyinlomobambam(m): 10:44pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:

To avoid stories, just use water.

Better explain
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Penicillin: 10:49pm On Oct 16, 2021
Some brands that are expensive are very potent compared to the cheaper brands..you can’t compare the innovator brand of a drug to other brands as most won’t have the right amount of active ingridents in it..carry out a bioavailability study of two drugs of different brands and you will see the difference...one man will go to China and tell them to add 50% of the Api,so far it will still work..So I always implore people to get big brands cause you are likey surely you will get the equivalent of the API as listed in the leaflet.

1 Like

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Oyinladephilip(m): 10:57pm On Oct 16, 2021
No bro.. I worked on something related to that recently..... You can see a copy of the article titled:
"Antimicrobial assay of methanolic extracts of selected plants on Antibiotics-resistant Escherichia coli" on Quests Journal... Volume 7 issue 9
http://www.questjournals.org/jrps/current-issue.html
Theunbothered:

The fact remains that herbal medicines do not work, most of the Nigerians who support their use can not bring any scientific articles showing how they work when compared to standard pharmaceuticals.

Just "my mommy said" and insults
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by executive12: 11:19pm On Oct 16, 2021
Olzeus:
So how is it that when i took the covid vaccine the doctor at my office staff clinic insisted i take paracetamol and not panadol if i start feeling funny?

He probably wanted to save money for the office because Panadol brand is much cheaper.
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Theunbothered: 11:37pm On Oct 16, 2021
Oyinladephilip:
No bro.. I worked on something related to that recently..... You can see a copy of the article titled:
"Antimicrobial assay of methanolic extracts of selected plants on Antibiotics-resistant Escherichia coli" on Quests Journal... Volume 7 issue 9
http://www.questjournals.org/jrps/current-issue.html

So you took concentrated extracts of antimicrobial compounds found in plants and compared them to other drugs.

Some worked some didn't, but this is already an established field of science (penicillin is from plants).

The difference between this study and what counts as "herbal medicine" in Nigeria, is the so called "herbal medicine" practitioners don't put their products through this kind of scientific rigour but make bold claims about the efficiency of their products.

They also don't warn about the toxicity and potential side effects of taking their drugs.

At least you brought an actual scientific paper this time.

1 Like

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Oogway: 12:04am On Oct 17, 2021
Dozis:

You can state yours

Well written Dozin except number 5, whenever i prescribe a particular brand that’s because I want the patient to get that particular brand. Eg If I prescribe Rocephin for a patient that’s because I specifically want that patient to take Rocephin and not any other ceftriaxone so that should the treatment not work I’ll look at a possibility of a differential diagnosis. Most of those cheaper ceftriaxone are not as effective and from experience I can bet on what I said

2 Likes

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by armyofone(m): 12:06am On Oct 17, 2021
True for some drugs - 2 hours before taking milk or 2 hours after taken milk.

PraisesPblaze:
1. I heard it's not good to take drugs with MILK.

2. Heard that one can drink intravaneous injection liquid and it will have same effect e.g adding the liquid to coke, even alcohol (gin).

How true are these?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cancer-Causing Substance In School Uniforms From China: SON Raises Alarm / Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors / 481 New COVID-19 Cases, 266 Discharged And 5 Deaths On July 30 - (3,622 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.