Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,779 members, 7,875,934 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 03:23 AM

Minimum Wage, Is It Greed Or Over Zealous Ambitions Of The Governors? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minimum Wage, Is It Greed Or Over Zealous Ambitions Of The Governors? (535 Views)

Sheriff And Fayose’s 2019 Ambitions Tear PDP Apart / From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. / 2015: Buhari, Tinubu bury ambitions, to anoint candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Minimum Wage, Is It Greed Or Over Zealous Ambitions Of The Governors? by KnowAll(m): 3:16pm On Jun 01, 2011
In this modern day of  information technology why do some states and in fact many a state that get little money from the Federation account still have bloated and ineffective civil service. I cringed with wonder and amazement when I hear states screaming blue murder, how could the Feds just increase minimum wage without consulting us,  our lollipop has been snatched away from us, we cannot implement that minimum wage.

This is stupuuudity of the highest order; in fact all civil servants all over the country should have been down by at least a 1/3 of what it was 20 years ago if only our so called Governors can put on their thinking caps for once and for only 5 seconds, and stop thinking of their “ pockets” or involve in their new fad  “ of who wants to be a billionaire next “. This week we learnt and heard how the Kano State Governor plundered his states to the tune of 110 Billion  Naira and yet the minimum rate is an uphill task that is non negotiable to implement and what about the antics of  OGD who brought Ogun State to the tethers by borrowing N49 Billion Naira, yet the minimum wage was a no-go area for many months not until 4 days b4 he left office.  The same tatic was deployed by of Akala of Oyo State too.

I work for the British Civil service and when I joined they had an army of 180,000 civil servants 15 years ago, today Year-  2011 they are only 85,000 thanks to information technology and other innovative ways of doing things. Despite these impressive cuts the Cameron regime has pass an edict rather quaintly and covertly that every department must endeavour as much as possible to achieve a further 25% reduction,  that would bring down my departmental strength to just under 72,000 or there about.

Why are Nigerian States still increasing in size in the light of all these new technology at hand that could be harnessed harmoniously and get the job done quicker, why not cut down now to a trim and effective service that would  be up to speed in terms of delivery and efficacy, this old legacy and relic of the Udoji award of 1975 has being left to hanker on for too long without direction or purpose and must be halted in this directionless voyage to oblivion and be brought back to reality, the civil service can be turned around and made effective again if the will is there, and when this happen the states that takes the scruff by the neck would not only be able to pay that meagre N18,000 recommended but be able to double it.

Today Niger State are screaming and clamouring for all who would care to listen that they cannot pay the minimum wage, I am even surprise Lagos State is also in the fray of states struggling to pay that pittance of a minimum wage , I thought Fashola has so many green-horns from the US/UK who are doing marvellous jobs for Lagos State why can’t they face this double headed monster or toxin to state finances by reforming it to world best practises as it is done all over the world.

I know it is all about creating jobs, but employing people who go to Government offices to twiddle their thumbs all day causes more harm than good to society and the economy at large, running government’s like this is a throw back to the way things were done in the 70’s, in fact most Nigeria offices remind me of a bygone era anytime I visit Government offices. Today we have embraced mobile phones we might as well go the long haul and effect change in all facet of our lives. I hope the new chief executives in the states would move away from this grime and move into the modern era, Rochas, Ajimobi and Amosun I hope you are paying apt attention to this hard facts otherwise your free education mantra would be another empty promises that would be lost in time, I have a feeling that saying “ I shall offer free education up to SSS”  is taken with a pinch of salt by many people, I await to be proven otherwise.

Re: Minimum Wage, Is It Greed Or Over Zealous Ambitions Of The Governors? by ektbear: 4:30pm On Jun 01, 2011
Making the civil service deliver more value for the money is a laudable goal.

A few steps one would take in a perfect world:
1) Eliminating all ghost workers
2) Retrenchment or cutting down the hours of real workers
3) Mandatory retirements at certain ages
4) Several other things to boost productivity

However, political realities might make some of these steps difficult to do.

(1) (Reply)

Communist Agenda :the Mega Cities Of The Future / S-west Govs Converge On Lagos Today / Progressive Changes Obstructed By The Nigerian Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.