Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,027 members, 7,915,976 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 01:19 PM

Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers (22258 Views)

CBN Sells Over $300m To Banks As Naira Gains / $300M BUA Sugar Factory In Kwara Is Nearing Completion. PHOTOS / 91% Of Nigerian Importers Are Smugglers – Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by money121(m): 11:07am On Oct 18, 2021
Ok
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by nautybride: 11:07am On Oct 18, 2021
cheesy see each or
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 11:07am On Oct 18, 2021
What's so special about foreign rice that our own rice farmers can't be equiped with to give the same quality??
Or are they of different species?
Can't those ones grow favourably in Nigeria?
Do those countries buy our own rice as well?

We claim we are independent but our brains and main power are still not independent of a neighbouring environment.....
Our Government is busy chasing clowns and shadows .

My Signature.....my hobby......
Check my signature for your building Designs and Constructions.....

2 Likes

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by einsteine(m): 11:08am On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:
We need to eat local rice more often, imagine the millons of dollars we are enriching other countries. How will our economy ever grow this way. It saddens me how we Nigerians can't encourage one another to become better and spend this money in the country. Presently there is scarcity of money, the flow is directed to places it is not needed that often.

We need to start buying and producing,this is the only way we can get better. Rome was not built in a day

If other countries do that too, we will be even poorer. You people forget Nigeria also exports things. All these economic patriotism that ignores the fact that one, Nigeria's rice can't compete in terms of quality.

The Asian countries have a significant advantage in the production of rice. Two, by forcing Nigerians to eat local rice and subsidizing rice farmers with cheap loans and tariffs on their competitors (rice importers), you kill the incentive for improvement in quality.

Rice farmers have enjoyed a boom under Buhari but that has not translated to any improvement in quality or even in the quantity they produced. They have also not proven to be cost effective because even after all the massive tariffs or cost of smuggling, foreign rice is only marginally more expensive than local rice.

If the resources expended on local rice farming were placed on cassava, oil palm or even groundnut where Nigeria has a better comparative advantage compared to almost any country in the world, we would be able to get enough revenue that our rice imports wouldn't matter so much.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by einsteine(m): 11:10am On Oct 18, 2021
ArcSEMPECJ:
What's so special about foreign rice that our own rice farmers can't be equiped with to give the same quality??

We claim we are independent but our brains and main power are still not independent of a neighbouring environment.....

My Signature.....my hobby......
Check my signature for your building Designs and Constructions.....

Like other countries don't buy stuff from us. No country is completely sufficient. The biggest exporters in the world are also the biggest importers in the world. Trade is a two way process. Countries should focus on things they can do well. From now till twenty years time, Nigeria would never meet up with India, Thailand or China when it comes to Rice. They have been farming rice since 19 gbidi gbidi no date with extremely low cost methods compared to Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by jchioma: 11:11am On Oct 18, 2021
The costs will be transferred to the final consumers. That's how it works.

Expect the price of rice to rise astronomically this Christmas season.

1 Like

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by calcal: 11:15am On Oct 18, 2021
How long will take the zoo to plant rice?
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by NaijaSumi: 11:16am On Oct 18, 2021
I blame Mr Buhari and his minister for this nonsense we are about experiencing as it concerns rice

If the president is not capable to do the job, he should please resign.

He sits there and yet so much hardship on the masses... Who does that?

Old age no be sense at all

1 Like

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:
We need to eat local rice more often, imagine the millons of dollars we are enriching other countries. How will our economy ever grow this way. It saddens me how we Nigerians can't encourage one another to become better and spend this money in the country. Presently there is scarcity of money, the flow is directed to places it is not needed that often.

We need to start buying and producing,this is the only way we can get better. Rome was not built in a day
for this to happen we need remodel reformed local Rice that is cheap to afford

2 Likes

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by einsteine(m): 11:18am On Oct 18, 2021
Ayomi90:

Rice production in Nigeria would have been sufficient ND if not shld be close, but Fulani herdsmen chased farmers out of the farm so what do u expect?

Nigeria can never be sufficient in rice production. Believe the FG propaganda at your own peril. Not in quantity, definitely not in quality can Nigeria meet up. By the way, Fulani herdsmen did not chase rice farmers. An overwhelming majority of rice farmers are in the North West which is another reason (ethnic undertone) for the FG's support of rice farming.

My advice to the rice farmers is that they should better save their windfall because one day, a pharaoh would come and he would not remember Joseph.

3 Likes

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by erico2k2(m): 11:20am On Oct 18, 2021
Islie:
.........Self-sufficiency in rice production not realistic in 2022

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/rice-thai-merchants-slam-300m-rates-on-nigerian-importers/
So we import rice right grin grin grin
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by erico2k2(m): 11:21am On Oct 18, 2021
jchioma:
The costs will be transferred to the final consumers. That's how it works.

Expect the price of rice to rise astronomically this Christmas season.
Make we all chop local rice end of story if U bite stone you bite stone grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Blue3k(m): 11:22am On Oct 18, 2021
ArcSEMPECJ:

Bluffly:

If Self sufficiency is unrealistic, how is Thailand meeting up with these request from more than 4 countries
einsteine:

Nigeria can never be sufficient in rice production. Believe the FG propaganda at your own peril. Not in quantity, definitely not in quality can Nigeria meet up.

I'll give you guys a few hints. Ask yourself what percentage of farming is mechanized, how much of farming subsistence farming, how does the land use act effect farmers ability to borrow? These factors effect rise production. I could go but I already have threads I talked to boredom about the topic.

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by nike4love: 11:30am On Oct 18, 2021
22o62021:
Them still dey impor foreign rice come this country

Buhari still eats foreign rice
Lol
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by grandstar(m): 11:42am On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

The prime reason why we import rice is that we have no comparative advantage in rice production. They can easily be imported from countries that have that comparative advantage which means it will be cheaper than the locally produced. . That's why there's lots of smuggling of it into the country.

Nigeria too should focus on areas it has comparative advantage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by dvkot(m): 11:42am On Oct 18, 2021
dandig:
See ehn I was shocked on seeing this ..The FG staged a manhunt and closed borders. The FG has been holding on to local contents. Rice was the number 1 case fight....How come we are seeing this news. Haven't we been waiting enough for 2tenures with the hope that we are working on growing and selling only local rice....
local rice is not sufficient yet, banning importation of foreign rice would like to scarcity with which would eventually increase the price of local rice
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Bluffly: 11:46am On Oct 18, 2021
Blue3k:

I'll give you guys a few hints. Ask yourself what percentage of farming is mechanized, how much of farming subsistence farming, how does the land use act affect farmers ability to borrow? These factors affect rise production. I could go but I already have threads I talked to boredom about the topic.

It is not about itemizing the hurdles but resolving the issues to making achievements realistic. Thailand solved theirs not that they lived with it, we can solve ours as well

1 Like

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Realdeals(m): 11:49am On Oct 18, 2021
Contentment is very important, most Nigerians however lacks it. I'll vote for Nigeria made Rice anytime.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by NinjaXmetahuman: 11:51am On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

and what happened to the local beans we eat?

Is it not twice the price of rice now?

Problem is not eating it, problem is price.

Local food are more expensive than imported ones. Just imagine that.

They need to ban exportation of food in the name of "earning forex" first, before anything else.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Epeegee(m): 11:54am On Oct 18, 2021
You be bad man
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by NinjaXmetahuman: 11:55am On Oct 18, 2021
einsteine:

If other countries do that too, we will be even poorer. You people forget Nigeria also exports things. All these economic patriotism that ignores the fact that one, Nigeria's rice can't compete in terms of quality.

The Asian countries have a significant advantage in the production of rice. Two, by forcing Nigerians to eat local rice and subsidizing rice farmers with cheap loans and tariffs on their competitors (rice importers), you kill the incentive for improvement in quality.

Rice farmers have enjoyed a boom under Buhari but that has not translated to any improvement in quality or even in the quantity they produced. They have also not proven to be cost effective because even after all the massive tariffs or cost of smuggling, foreign rice is only marginally more expensive than local rice.

If the resources expended on local rice farming were placed on cassava, oil palm or even groundnut where Nigeria has a better comparative advantage compared to almost any country in the world, we would be able to get enough revenue that our rice imports wouldn't matter so much.
smart.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Mrsoft3(m): 12:00pm On Oct 18, 2021
NinjaXmetahuman:
and what happened to the local beans we eat?

Is it not twice the price of rice now?

Problem is not eating it, problem is price.

Local food are more expensive than imported ones. Just imagine that

Let me enlightened you on this quickly

See the north east states
Maiduguri,yobe Adamawa Bauchi are the largest producers of beans in Nigeria, it is a sad thing the insurgency that has affected this regions,farmers died,some where displaced and now staying in idps, the others remaining are scared of going to farm.

The Nigeria population is increasing everyday with no sustainable development or plan to ensure safety and good health.
Initially even with this states we still didn't meet up with production, in the space of 10 years the price of beans has increased dramatically and it all point out to the low supply and high demand.

Now fast forward to our present day, the north west and central are being ravage by bandits and herdsmen. Many where killed,many are being displaced. The rest put of fear won't go to farm. Many are being maimed and hands cut off this is the present situation up north, we are now left with lesser supply in the market, I tell you the level of food scarcity this country will face next year eyes has not seen neither has ear heard.

It is true naira fell furthermore to the dollars and cost of import goods increase, I wonder why Nigeria still imports fertilizer, aside that we don't even have the larger number of farmers going to farm, rain and climate change affected alot of harvest in the country...hike in price is inevitable,the risk of transporting grains in Nigeria has trippled, we must eat. What are we going to do
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by openmine(m): 12:02pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kondomatic:
It's not about telling us what we need to do.

Nigerians eat local rice a lot. Majority of Nigerians eat local rice today, that's for those than can afford good local rice.

When you say "we need to start eating local rice" you give them impression that the whole of Nigeria markets are saturated with local rice that nobody wants to buy.

The price difference between foreign and local is little, our locally produced rice is very expensive and it's getting worse since we prefer we'll fed cows to well fed humans.
Exactly!
Nigeria's lack of constant power supply,high transport cost and insecurity have ensured that no matter what is produced locally,the cost of the products will always remain high!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Blue3k(m): 12:03pm On Oct 18, 2021
Bluffly:

It is not about itemizing the hurdles but resolving the issues to making achievements realistic. Thailand solved theirs not that they lived with it, we can solve ours as well

You can't solve a problem you don't understand. Even your government now see that the lack of mechanized farming is the problem now. Farmers can't borrow because they poor and can't use land as collateral for said money. Governments can incentive importing farm equipment or manufacturing by making it easy to do so. If Nigeria has the same yield per acre as India the price would come down naturally and imports would decrease.

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Angrygoat: 12:08pm On Oct 18, 2021
Time to quickly rush two bags b4 price go up. December is here.
Rice has become gold and the new bitcoin in nigeria.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by SarkinYarki: 12:10pm On Oct 18, 2021
erniok:

The local rice sells almost at par with the foreign one. What happened to the promise that it'd be far cheaper than foreign rice. Bring the price down to what the populace can afford and see reduction for foreign rice. Also note that some of the said stone free rice local rice have little amount of stones in them.

Local rice is even more expensive because it's healthier
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by abbatoir(m): 12:11pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

Modified

Maiduguri,yobe Adamawa Bauchi are the largest producers of beans in Nigeria, it is a sad thing the insurgency that has affected this regions,farmers died,some where displaced and now staying in idps, the others remaining are scared of going to farm.

The Nigeria population is increasing everyday with no sustainable development or plan to ensure safety and good health.
Initially even with this states we still didn't meet up with production, in the space of 10 years the price of beans has increased dramatically and it all point out to the low supply and high demand.

Now fast forward to our present day, the north west and central are being ravage by bandits and herdsmen. Many where killed,many are being displaced. The rest put of fear won't go to farm. Many are being maimed and hands cut off this is the present situation up north, we are now left with lesser supply in the market, I tell you the level of food scarcity this country will face next year eyes has not seen neither has ear heard.

It is true naira fell furthermore to the dollars and cost of import goods increase, I wonder why Nigeria still imports fertilizer, aside that we don't even have the larger number of farmers going to farm, rain and climate change affected alot of harvest in the country...hike in price is inevitable,the risk of transporting grains in Nigeria has trippled, we must eat[b]. What are we going to do.[/b]

the last question...
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by openmine(m): 12:18pm On Oct 18, 2021
If the country doesn't fix the epileptic power supply,multiple taxations,high cost of transportation and insecurity,the production cost of any locally made commodity will always keep rising!
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by sulaak(m): 12:22pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

Modified

It is true naira fell furthermore to the dollars and cost of import goods increase, I wonder why Nigeria still imports fertilizer, aside that we don't even have the larger number of farmers going to farm, rain and climate change affected alot of harvest in the country...hike in price is inevitable,the risk of transporting grains in Nigeria has trippled, we must eat. What are we going to do.

You can't eat what you don't produce. The country is not producing enough agriculture produce due to insecurity and logistic problems
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by tctrills: 12:24pm On Oct 18, 2021
We are importing 2 million tonnes. That is 40 million bags of rice. at N20,000 that is N800 billion or about 2 billion dollars. Within the last 8 years, both federal and state governments have budgeted more than this on rice cultivation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 18, 2021
failed government

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Paystack And Piggyvest Acquire Brass Bank & Fire CEO / How Are You Shopping This Black Friday? / Lagos Orders Markets To Open On Selective Dates Over COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.